Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:35 AM
dav44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Hey all,

I am doing first bench testing on my Christmas SC. Plugged battery in and ran it down by running motor, then wall charged pack. My freshly charged pack is doing the same thing...cutting out on throttle up. I have it running on bench again to run pack down to charge again and see what happens. Couple questions...

Do you all have to push throttle up a bit to get the motor running? Also, I see a small periodic twitch of the elevator while running on bench...is that normal and OK?

Thanks,
David
Old 12-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Mr. Mugen

The motor cutting out is normal from what I can see. I don't know of a single person who has not had this happen. It happens on my P-51, my FW190, 3 cubs and even my firebird freedom. Take it for what it's worth but I think it's normal. I have not had it happen since. Just during break-in.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:54 AM
m0ng00se

Hey guys. Bad news here

I lost my cub this morning. The winds were a little bit higher than i have ever flew in, but i decided to fly anyways. I strapped my camera to my plane and flew for 5 or so minutes, and it was several hundred feet in the air. I noticed that the plane was getting whipped around a lot and i couldnt bring it back to me. It kept getting pushed away from me, and it turned into a little speck in the sky, and then i lost it

I've searched around for 2 hours and havent had any luck in finding it. [][]

And the worst part, i meant to put my name, number, and adress on it this morning, but i was too anxious to go flying

Old 12-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Mr. Mugen

BUMMER! That stinks. I use a new fangled gadget on mine that emits a loud whistle until the battery goes dead, once out of range. I never heard it yet and hope to never need it but I will find a link to where i got it for you. I hope you find it and soon. I have never had this happen to me ........yet. Good luck, Kevin
Old 12-30-2006, 02:29 PM
m0ng00se

Well, i've searched for at least 2 hours today...and i havent seen it. It was probably 700 feet above the ground when i lost sight of it, so it could be a long ways away

I'm gonna give it a week or so, and see if it turns up, but, i think i might have to cough up another $160 for a new one

Edit: And another $70 for a new camera and SD card...[] This is depressing...
Old 12-30-2006, 02:52 PM
tclaridge

I just flew with my brother who has the Freedom (same battery) and it won't take a charge. Cuts out after about 30 sec to one minute. It's not the charger, because we tried it with mine too. I have had a two bad Hobbyzone batteries so far (out of about 15) so it does happen. I would ask Horizon to replace the battery if you get short flights.

I don't like to fly with a bad battery because it forces an emergency landing. I would make sure your battery is taking a full charge so you get more than 10 minutes at half throttle (minimum). Run this on the ground once to make sure. I use a digital kitchen timer clipped on my antenna to count down time when I should land. Then I always have power for a good aproach or a go-around.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:58 PM
tclaridge

Dav44,
My engine starts at about 1/4 throttle. This is normal.

Small, occasional "twitching" of a servo (radio on) is OK, but not great. Servo twitching with radio off is normal. If your servo is jittering too much, it could indicate an upcoming failure, or the noise could be reducing your radio range. Be sure to range check your bird if you have some jittering.

I also put a little twist pressure on the servo to see if it "bucks" or has a dead zone due to stripped gears. If it does, it is bad. REPLACE IT! If it holds steady and resists your light pressure with an even force, you are probably OK.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Bigtone

I just bought two 9.6v for $27.06 and 10.8v and charger for $28.00 including total with shipping on ebay. They just came in the mail this week and I would like to ask you guy's something.

Is there anyone using the PKZ1519 p-51/fw 190 charger if so, does yours make a high pitch noise before and a little less after you hook the battery up? It seems to work great but, that high pitch noise urks me a little.[>:]

I also took the SC out for some action and went through two 8.4v, two 9.6v and one 10.8v. I had a bit of an mishap when I got to close to a light pole power line that's at the ballpark area. I kid you not, I hit the power line and did some kind of rail slide after I cut the power. I let out a yep then my old lady laughed while the spinner shot off. The SC came free with a tail slide and nose dived soon after, I recovered 5ft off the ground and climbed away from the area. After the last flight, I packed it up and drove over to locate my spinner with no luck. I got in the car and drove home, it flies better without it anyway.[8D]

Below are pic's of the powerline rail slide burn[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12142.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	586809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14877.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	586810  
Old 12-30-2006, 07:59 PM
UALflyer

Throttle Cut at 60% fixed
Turns out it was the jumper. pulled it and reinstalled it, had a lot more friction putting it on meaning the contact posts were seated correctly. I now have full range throttle authority.

First Flight
Cloudy, about 50 degrees. Wind about 3 kt. ROG takeoff from a local park, and just kept it over the field, which required a lot of back and forth pattern work. Coming from the Aero Ace, I can attest that those little planed DID help in getting the SC up and running. Never had a problem with control reversal. It was initially out of trim, about 4 clicks down elevator made it right. Wind at altitude was maybe 8-10 knots, so I kept it about 100' or so. Did some low approaches and finally a landing on grass. First landing was very pretty, there is a drop-off from the level part of the field to the flat part, and it basically was at just enough throttle to keep the prop turning. The SC crests the drop off, flying toward the flat part and does a nice flare in ground effect. I was basically flying it on with minimal throttle.

Several more ROGs and hand throws, even off concrete. Only bruises were a left wing impact to a utility box on roll out (plane going only about 5-7 mph) and the right wing hit a tree about 4 feet off the ground, as I intentionally stalled it after being blown off course for the landing. To land on the pavement, you basically have to thread the needle between two trees, and I finally was able to do this without too much problem. Scale landings look great, and it's a nice thrill to taxi the SC back to yourself after landing.

Unfortunately, I'm in the Chicago area and it looks like slop for the next few days. If I get a break, though, I'll take it up again. I went thru two battery packs this morning (8.4v OEM and a 9.6v 8-cell).

My park: http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=42.10....4&r=0&src=msa

Notice the water and highway. I disabled the ACT and had no trouble. You have to be on your toes on the first few flights, but eventually it is very easy to get used to.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:38 PM
solar696

ORIGINAL: Bigtone

Is there anyone using the PKZ1519 p-51/fw 190 charger if so, does yours make a high pitch noise before and a little less after you hook the battery up? It seems to work great but, that high pitch noise urks me a little.[>:]
.[8D]

Yes, they make high pitch noise (and click on -off sometimes). Also the same noise during charging.
I have 3 of those chargers they always come with me to the park. imagine the 3 of them making that high pitch noise at the same time , NO mosquitos ever come near me. I have made a variety of conversion connectors so I can charge just about anything from large tamiya, dean to mini-dean.
As I am driving to the park they peak charge my transmitter batteries (8x 2500 Mah) and 2 airplane battery packs (Sometimes I even top-off 3400 Mah truck battery packs with it). By the time I am ready to fly, all batteries are fully charged / warm to the touch, just as it should be.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:49 AM
Bigtone

Thanks solar696, I've even went to radio shack to get the 12v dc to ac wall adapter. I got it a while back for my shock SC ac adapter and it work pretty good!

(I take that back, the adapter just died)[:@]

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

ORIGINAL: solar696

.[8D]

Yes, they make high pitch noise (and click on -off sometimes). Also the same noise during charging.
I have 3 of those chargers they always come with me to the park. imagine the 3 of them making that high pitch noise at the same time , NO mosquitos ever come near me. I have made a variety of conversion connectors so I can charge just about anything from large tamiya, dean to mini-dean.
As I am driving to the park they peak charge my transmitter batteries (8x 2500 Mah) and 2 airplane battery packs (Sometimes I even top-off 3400 Mah truck battery packs with it). By the time I am ready to fly, all batteries are fully charged / warm to the touch, just as it should be.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:58 AM
tclaridge

UAL Flyer,
Thanks for sharing the solution to the jumper causing the cut-off. That is good to know. I will have my brother check his too, as it may be this and not the battery after all. He did have a bad crash, and may have knocked it loose. Thanks for everyone's input on this thread. Good stuff.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:28 AM
solar696

I've even went to radio shack to get the 12v dc to ac wall adapter. I got it a while back for my shock SC ac adapter and it work pretty good!

(I take that back, the adapter just died)[:@]
Your PZ charger can charge at 1.8 amp so you would need something more heavy duty, something at least 2 amp continous.
Many hobby dealers have really good price on power supplies, sometimes even radioshack has a good deal on regulated powersupplies.
Go fo a 5 amp unit, so later as the hobby grows you can add li-po charger and other things running on 12 Volt.
:-)
Old 12-31-2006, 12:27 PM
FlyinLo

I use a car battery charger for my power supply. It has adjustable amperage. 2 amp, 10 amp and "engine start" I leave it at 2 amp and keep both charging knobs just below 1 amp
Old 12-31-2006, 03:01 PM
solar696

ORIGINAL: FlyinLo

I use a car battery charger for my power supply. It has adjustable amperage. 2 amp, 10 amp and "engine start" I leave it at 2 amp and keep both charging knobs just below 1 amp
be very cautios with any automotive type baterry charger, it provides "dirty" DC power, meaning: it is not regulated, voltge will swing up/down , it is not pure DC voltage, some of those even have AC spikes.
the automotive type charger is hooked directly to a car battery, the battery is a huge capacitor (and voltage buffer). it will soak up any spiked voltage swing even minor AC spikes. it does not care.
Using such charger will be torture on any DC electronic equipment and can/will send it to the grave.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:07 PM
UALflyer

I will have my brother check his too, as it may be this and not the battery after all. He did have a bad crash, and may have knocked it loose. Thanks for everyone's input on this thread. Good stuff.
Speaking of which, what does the jumper do exactly?
Old 12-31-2006, 05:05 PM
FlyinLo

ORIGINAL: solar696

ORIGINAL: FlyinLo

be very cautios with any automotive type baterry charger, it provides "dirty" DC power, meaning: it is not regulated, voltge will swing up/down , it is not pure DC voltage, some of those even have AC spikes.
the automotive type charger is hooked directly to a car battery, the battery is a huge capacitor (and voltage buffer). it will soak up any spiked voltage swing even minor AC spikes. it does not care.
Using such charger will be torture on any DC electronic equipment and can/will send it to the grave.
Won't the fuse on my charger protect it?
Old 12-31-2006, 05:13 PM
patnchris

One jumper changes the servos for mixing.....as the same reciever is used in a couple of the "V"-tail models...The other changes the cut off voltage on the ESC so one can safely use batteries of different voltages.....This is commonly pulled when a person decides he wants to try 11.1V Lipo batteries. Lipo batteries are sensitive in that if you discharge then, too much, it damages them.....

Old 12-31-2006, 05:14 PM
patnchris

UALFlyer,
You and I are, somewhat, neighbors.....We'll need to get together for a fly, some day.....Pat
Old 12-31-2006, 05:25 PM
patnchris

Battery charger make very poor power supplies. The rectifier (the thing that changes AC to DC) on a battery charger is a half wave...That means it cuts off the bottom of the sine wave and leaves the top. This gives a pulse-pulse-pulse wave form that DC circuits don't like. Solid state devices like a more pure DC....This is why computer power suplies are more expensive that battery chargers....In many cases this pulsey wave form generates excessive heat in the sold state device and eventually causes it to burn out............
All is not lost, though....A battery charger can be used, but you need to install a filtering device that will flatten the wave form. That filtering device will be a battery. Any sized lead acid battery will work. Many use a small car battery or lawn tractor battery. Even a morot cycle battery will work. What the does is provide 13.8 volts to fill in the spaces between the pulses. In effect, cleaning up the DC.....Pat
Old 12-31-2006, 06:03 PM
dlabrie

Speaking of batteries, I ran across this web site that has 24 pcs of 2/3 A 1200 mAh high capacity high rate NiMH Rechargeable batteries with tabs for $24.59. They also have 36 pcs of 2/3 A 1200 mAh high capacity high rate NiMH Rechargeable batteries with tabs for $35.99. If you like to build your own battery packs, this seems like a deal to me. Considering, I just bought two 9.6v for $27.06 and 10.8v and charger for $28.00 including total with shipping on ebay.

24 pcs of 2/3 A 1200 mAh $24.59 (3) 9.6v packs
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=38

36 pcs of 2/3 A 1200 mAh $35.99 (4) 10.8v packs
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=144

Let me see if I have this right. I could buy 36 of these batteries and put them together in packs of 7 and have 5 battery packs that are the same as the
HobbyZone HBZ1013 Battery, 8.4V 1000 mAh That go with my Super Cub ?

David in NH
Old 12-31-2006, 06:18 PM
FlyinLo

David where is Campton? I also live in NH
Old 12-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Ofnsve

Well yesterday we maidened my gf's sons' SC. Man it was the easiest flying plane that I have had my hands on in a long time. I took it up and trimmed it out (which means I flew it around) and landed it. He took off by himself for the first time but got a little panicky so I took over and landed it. Then I took it up to about 200' or so and let him have at it. He's a natural I would say. Way better when I told him he is now 2 mistakes high. So he flew it until his fingers were frozen (wind was a little gustier than when we had originally got there) and I landed it again. It floats like nothing and is so easy to land. I love this thing and the look in his eye when he was flying it was priceless.

So here's some pics of the day and apparently they were hard to get as my gf couldn't see anything in the viewfinder due to the bright sun. Enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37603.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	587706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23398.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	587707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44867.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	587708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32141.jpg
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	587709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn77721.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	587710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vm83471.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	587711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd66644.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	587712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Po48642.jpg
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	587713  

Old 12-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Mr. Mugen

I am so glad there are so many SC owners out there experiencing the same thing I did. Did you know there are some cheap ski's out there by Dubro? They are perfect for the SC. All you need to do is drill the holes in them for the landing gear. I use mine daily and they don't affect it much at all. I can still pull effortless loops and climb well. I think I put a vid of it flying with them on in this thread somewhere a few pages back.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:42 PM
Ofnsve

Mr. Mugen, yes I have seen those skis. I am pretty sure that I will be getting some soon. The weather around here has been really screwy this winter though. Today...New Year's Eve...December thirty-freeking-first and it's been pouring rain all day. Only turned to snow about 2 hours ago. Started rain, turned to slushballs falling from the sky then to snow...if it goes too far below freezing it's a-gonna be rough driving. Well off to a New Year's party...

Happy New Year to everyone and good flying into the 2007....Take care all!!!!

Blain

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.