Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Cox warbird build.

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Opinions on Cox warbird build.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 02:53 PM
packyj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Cox warbird build.

I'm about to build one of the great looking cox warbirds. So far the setup is looking like this:

Futaba 3110 micro servos (2 or 3... haven't decided on rudder,elevon, aileron or just elevon/aileron)
Great planes c-7 brushed ESC
Great planes 2s 350 mah lipo
Futaba R114F Receiver

first time i've tried to piece a plane together, trying to get away from rtf and this is a great opportunity to score my stand alone radio

will this setup be alright according to specs?
any input is greatly appreciated
Old 08-18-2006, 02:51 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Opinions on Cox warbird build.

Check the buy and sell listings under 'flight packs' for a better deal on a full setup.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:56 PM
gunracer

the models are set up stock with just rudder and elevator...besides adding weight, 3 servos would be a really tight fit...also, from what i've read, elevons are ineffective...the long wing (as opposed to a short stubby one found on jets), lack of speed and lack of elevon control surface area, tend to keep the model from rolling...i'd first try it with just rudder and elevator...your set up looks ok...i'm just about finished with my corsair...i'm using a 2s 700 mah batt...hopefully it won't be too nose heavy...
Old 08-18-2006, 05:13 PM
quint-rcu

Check post number 3 on this thread: [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3863479/anchors_4240049/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4240049[/link] for a build up using Alierons instead of Rudder. W-A-Y more responsive and fun than Rudder. (but I didn't understand the reference to 'elevons' as applicable to this model) Using Ailerons still uses the two servo+ESC three channel setup and gives the correct CG without the need to shuffle components about or adding weight.

I've done them as shown on a P-51 and a P-47 and using a pull-pull linkage on a Corsair. All flew better than on rudder/elevator/ESC and had good roll rates. Watching one of these warbirds doing Cuban Eights is a blast.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Flip 3D Guy

I have/had two of theses COX warbirds. The corsair does not fly very well. The p51 flies great, but I glued the rudder and made ailerons. Unfortunately both of the motors on the two burned out after about 6 flights each. You cannot take out the motor without ruining the entire plane. If I were to build another one of these I would buy the firefly motor mod they recommend, but that makes this $20 into a $90 plane. I used a 2cell 800mah li-po which also jacked up the price. If you build one with the stock motor don't plane on having the plane long, it will burn out very soon. Other than that this plane is very kool with the aileron mod. I can post pics if anyone is interested.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:43 AM
gunracer

i modded the corsair so i could easily swap out batts...i'm also able to change out the motor if and when it burns out...the motor is friction fit in the mount and then wedged securely in with a piece of foam...
Old 08-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Flip 3D Guy

I would like to see how you made the battery swappable.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:57 PM
gunracer

here's a photo of the batt hatch mod...so i can use a nut to secure the prop, i'm using a gws shaft adapter with gws 4025 prop..she flys great...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99513.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	510528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83922.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	510529  
Old 08-21-2006, 01:57 PM
quint-rcu

Very nicely done gunracer!
I too made the battery removable since I had allready cut away the fuse at the wing mount for the aileron servo. After more than 30 flights on my corsair and about that many on a P-47 both the battteries and the motors are doing just fine. I did enlarge the air intake and exits on both planes to keep the motor cool since the stock opening size will let it overheat and burn out as apparently hapened to Flip 3D Guy.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:17 PM
packyj

Thank you all for the replies... have been a little lazy checking back on the boards here. Good news is that my p47 is up and running despite a few rough starts, went with the set up that I had posted as most all of it actually came with the transmitter. Used 2 servos because I wasn't paying enough attention and ordered the wrong type of plug and too lazy/scared to change it. Kind of afraid to add the weight. Final result came out to 4.9 ounces, once the cg was fixed it flies like a dream...

I did in fact use the thread quint posted to put ailerons on it. Not really impressed with the performance. It works fine for sure, however the way some local fliers have rigged it up works much much better. (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=758725) My next fuse order will be done that way.

The swappable battery seems like a great idea, my greatplanes battery really doesn't fit well, I would suggest the etecs that have been used by others on these forums as they are not as wide, therefore fit a bit better.

I'll try to get some vids of it up and flying... have one of it hitting a football goal, maiden flight. These little planes are beasts when it comes to taking damage... probably need to weigh it again after adding all of that foam glue
Old 08-24-2006, 01:00 PM
quint-rcu

That aileron setup works too, I just didn't want the linkages/servo arms on the bottom without any landing gear to protect them from damage. You might also check out this link: [link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=838658[/link] for another aileron hookup. I saw it and copied it on my Corsair due to the bent wing configuration. It flew great. There seems to be many ways to make the ailerons functional and most work just fine. The key is to swap ailerons for rudder - sure makes a difference in flight! The loss of rudder doesn't seem noticeable on these little foamies.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:14 PM
packyj

Here is a pic of my built p-47... roughly painted by my brother, next one will look a bit cleaner. Hard to paint a model that has been smashed into a football goal post, ran into the ground inverted at max speed, and reglued several times. At any rate it's a place to start

High Stakes II will look a little better perhaps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37031.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	516052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32752.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	516053