Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Miles M-5

Old 01-14-2003, 05:26 AM
rahtware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miles M-5

So it starts...

First step taken, went to the local copy store and blew up the original Walt Mooney "peanut" plans X 250% to achieve a 32" wing span. No, I don't know why I picked that size, it just seemed right to me.

It ended up with a cord of (average) 5.75" for a wing area of 184si. The length from nose to tip of tail comes out to 25.75" It looks like it will stand tall enough to handle a 10" prop (got-a love them rubber-band plans). Thinking of using a gear-driven 280 / 300 to swing that prop.

I picked up some straight grained 1/8" balsa to strip out for the parts. Planning on sheeting the cowel area and wing center (with thinner wood). Thinking of flattening out the wing a bit and adding ailerons.

Please, any help would be appreciated. I have been building and flying balsa for a while, but am new to E-power. Any thoughts on my figures? Will it fly?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47201_15871.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	29223  
Old 01-14-2003, 04:43 PM
rahtware

Default Miles M-5

Did some musing over the plans and came up with the following:

Probably will need to go with four servos and an ESC. The ailerons will need one each "Y"ed together. I'm thinking CS10s would work. It will need another one on the rudder, and a larger (81?) on the elevator.

The wing is going to need a new spar and the ailerons will have to be cut out. The landing gear poses a problem as it is built into the wing and not the fuse. Don't want to beef up this area more than necessary (weight), but I would hate to loose a wing due to LG collapse.

Thinking of 1/16" ribs with lightening holes and a 1/16" main spar with carbon fibers and capstrips... It is already sounding too heavy!

Need to find a supply of drawing paper (36") as I will need to redraw the wing with the new modifications.

Does anyone know of a supplier of Nelson litecoat besides Radical?
Old 01-16-2003, 05:50 PM
rahtware

Default Miles M-5

Had to replace my building board as my old one, a drawing board that I bought when taking an art class in '73, had developed an interesting bow.

Reading posts on this and other forums, I decided to pick up a bundle of ceiling tiles. At the local hardware store I found a bundle that had the corners torn off of 5 of the 8 pieces and got it for $15. That's less than $2 per building board! Considering that a new drawing board (of the kind that I had) is almost $100 I think I did OK.

The Miles is on hold for the moment as my interest has been diverted by the arrival of a GWS T-Moth kit that came in the mail yesterday.