Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Electrafun XP Review/Thread!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:17 AM
rudes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electrafun XP Review/Thread!

I get a little bit of vibration when I launch at a certain rev, but I just power through it. My friend has put a thin coating of epoxy on the outside of the fuse which has cured all the vibration. A friend fibreglasses for a job, he has glassed the nose of the XL to get rid of the vibration, it runs a 1900kv Turnigy, it's a missile.

My servo fits in through the top of the wing which means you only have to cut a small amount of the top of the fuse. I use a servo wire extension so that i can take the wing off and unplug it if I use the same wing on the electra sport. The elastic bands are a bit tricky to get underneath the servo rods but i use a short bit of wire with a hook on it to stretch them underneath and on to the lug.

Extended elevator and rudder mod and the XP rolls spirals flys inverted and loops sweettttttttttttt.

Hope this helps
Rudolf

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22689.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	945432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96945.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	945433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53399.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	945434  
Old 05-08-2008, 06:59 PM
sculston

Hi Nick
OK I think I got it right, first time posting images, I don't think the order is right, but I think you should get the idea. There are probably better and much more elegant ways of doing this mod, but this works ok for me. I'm taking this whole flying thing in very easy steps.
ps I just totaled my Kavan Sopwith triplane this morning, spiraled in from 50ft. Oh well, it looked great in the air especially on the dawn patrol!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65814.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	945807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17957.jpg
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	945808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83504.jpg
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	945809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70778.jpg
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	945810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se46119.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	945811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of57740.jpg
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	945812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg77765.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	945813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kj30979.jpg
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	945814  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj82793.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	945815   Click image for larger version

Name:	My15824.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	945816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq71141.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	945817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qa15401.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	945818  
Old 05-09-2008, 09:21 PM
SeaComms

I just completed (last night) tomtomtom007's mod - well described. Picked up a 1000k mystery and 30amp esc combo off ebay for a whopping $20.15 including freight Motor went in pretty easy, still using the stock prop, will look into one with a little more pitch and stronger blade next week. Took it to the flying field this morning and they all laughed at me, took off and they stopped laughing!

After 20 mins of mostly half to full power (have carbon fibre strip under the wing..) doin loops and corkscrews and generally just stuffing around they told me I had to come down (I am not a member) and the 2250ma lipo (from my heli) was stone cold, and the battery monitor I had on the side of the plane was still saying it was fully charged!

A new lease of life to an old electrafun! (not even the XP, just the plain old version!)

Cheers, and thanks for the idea, Dave.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:27 PM
elgreko65

Good stuff, good to see another Brushless convert!! once you have done it there is no going back. You should try a 1300kv I get vertical flight and can even fly inverted!! yes upside down!!!! really good really cheep fun and even if you do crash and burn who cares parts are so cheep, $ 12 for a wing $15 for a fuselage big deal!! Tom and I have dog fights all the time!! Next venture to try and hook up cameras to the planes to film mid air ventures!! does any one have any ideas?? or has anyone done this??????
Old 05-10-2008, 08:19 PM
SeaComms

Yeah, the 1000 isnt quite as punchy as I had hoped, a little bigger would be nice, but not too sure how I will go with the physical size though.

Still using the included flimsy plastic prop too, so will try one with a little more agressive pitch and a proper attachment, it could be slipping on the shaft (although I dont think it is).

Also put the battery back on charge when I got home, put bout 750ma back into it, so it was 1/3 used. So if I run it for about 40 minutes will still only come in at bout 70% capacity used. And that was mostly at full power stuffing around.

But hey, its definately a blast compared to what it used to be!!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Malacandra

ORIGINAL: SeaComms

In the mean time, does anyone know before I stick the lipo in it if the old ESC with just the switch for motor on/off on the TX is actually a true speed controller? Or did it only allow on/off.
It's been a few weeks since this was posted, but I don't think anyone answered this. The answer: the OE ESC does allow a full range of speed control with a simple Tx mod. The procedure's detailed over on www.electrafun.co.uk but briefly, open up the tranny and attach a potentiometer either in place of the regular motor switch or (and this was my mod) in parallel with it. Yes, really. You'd think it would go in series but it doesn't. You'll get a good usable range if you use a 33kΩ resistor in series with a 100k pot - that should give you stopped to full-bore on a full turn of the pot. Make sure you ask for a linear pot, if you get a logarithic pot all the resistance change will be up one end of the travel. You should be able to find a place to mount it on the casing somewhere, I did and I'm pretty clueless - my pics are still on the website.

Doing it my way allows you to preset the throttle for max power, and have instant cut-off if you need it too, but you can keep it simple just by fitting the pot in place of the engine switch. Make sure you get a nice small pot, about the width of your thumbnail - it's only carrying milliamps, it doesn't need to be a big macho component.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Budmulla

Ive been having lots of fun flying my electrafun. I originally brought it a couple of years ago but ive now got back into it. First i got some bigger batteries ... the 9.6v 1200mah is my fav ... that lil extra punch. Then i fitted a Himark speed 400 into it. My original esc died so i fitted a eagle 30amp one and no problems since.
Today i tested my plane out with the Flycamone2 camera. I mounted it on the belly and fitted the undercarriage so it wont land on the cam. The wind was very strong but i got it up there. I have previously fitted a keychain digital camera to it and activated it off an extra servo. Keychain camera weighs about the same as the Flycamone2 but the keychain produces a smaller crap picture and it cant accept an extra memory card. Cant wait to try t out tomorrow!
Old 07-11-2008, 06:53 AM
elgreko65

Let us know how you go with the video cam I want to get one as well for mine!! let us know where to get one!!
Old 07-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Budmulla

ORIGINAL: elgreko65

Let us know how you go with the video cam I want to get one as well for mine!! let us know where to get one!!
I got mine from here [link]http://www.mongrelgear.com.au/[/link] The seller is a regular here ... and i well recommend it. He has a special on at the moment ... very reasonable price! And the packaging is top notch and superfast delivery!

I should state the obvious that the extra weight is noticable on this plane but i have flown before with a similar extra weight with the stock batteries and motor.
When i first got the electrafun my first mod was to use the extra channel to release bombs i had made from plastic kinder suprise caspules, and the flights off some darts. I had a skewer poking through the front with some tape around it to pull it down nose first. I filled them with powder so when they hit they would send smoke (powder) out!
Old 07-12-2008, 04:11 AM
rudes

ORIGINAL: SeaComms

Yeah, the 1000 isnt quite as punchy as I had hoped, a little bigger would be nice, but not too sure how I will go with the physical size though.

Still using the included flimsy plastic prop too, so will try one with a little more agressive pitch and a proper attachment, it could be slipping on the shaft (although I dont think it is).

Also put the battery back on charge when I got home, put bout 750ma back into it, so it was 1/3 used. So if I run it for about 40 minutes will still only come in at bout 70% capacity used. And that was mostly at full power stuffing around.

But hey, its definately a blast compared to what it used to be!!
The F-27B Stryker brushed motor comes with two props. One looks similar to the stock XP prop use that one and you will notice the difference. Should be easy to get and it fits the shaft so thats a bonus as well. Flew today four landings, two cans of coke and a sore neck on the same battery.

Rudolf
Old 07-14-2008, 03:44 AM
Budmulla

I can confirm that the Electrafun was able to fly with the camera attached.
I Mounted it underneath and put the landing gear back on to try and limited the damage to the camera on landings. The weight so low means that it can get a bad pendulum effect and landings need to be a bit faster... but it works!
Ill post a video once i get something decent!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Budmulla

This is my electrafun that i recently gave a paint job and converted to a brushless ewatts 1500kv outrunner.
I contacted tomtomoo7 and rudes that previously posted in this forum for some extra info on the conversion as i was having some trouble with the apple juice lid.
If using an apple juice lid the original motor mount tabs on the side of the fuselage need to be cut off and the apple juice lid needs to be slightly chopped off on the bottom aswell.

I cut my lid way down as i didnt cut the side motor mount tabs off.But the vibration nearly shook it apart when i connected the lipo. I ended up putting a coating of epoxy around the fuselage where the motor mounts and also put inside the fuse on either side some carbon fiber tubes which i epoxied in from the topof the motor mount to underneath where the leading edge of the wing is. It did the trick and took the shake out of it at full revs.

Test flew it this morning into strong winds and it climbed likea rocket... and flew like a missile!

The wing has been reinforced with a 3x1mm strip of carbon fiber under the wings and strapping tape (with the fiberglass strands) on the bottom and top as well as the leading edge and trailing edge.
I cut out some 3mm depron and extended the elevator and rudder and strapped both with the strapping tape.

Love this plane!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 PM
clovus

Hey Bud,

Looks good. Does the rudder and elevator mod really make that much difference?

clovus
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Budmulla

Hi clovus,
The elevator and rudder makes a worthwhile difference

I read somewhere that it helps it handle better at low speeds ... and it certainly does.
Landings are now more precise and it will loop and barrel roll with ease.
I first tried it with the speed 400 and the 8 cell nimh pack with stock prop and did some nice barrel rolls
Old 08-04-2008, 06:04 AM
tomtomtom007

Hey, great to hear that this thread is still kicking- modding the electrafun is addictive!

Budmulla, nice to see a custom paint job on the beast- what worries me is the look on your dog's face in the background of the pic.... he's just itching to snatch your plane.

Been a while since elgreko65 and i have had our planes out due to the crappy weather here in Melbourne. And reading through the old posts, i concede that his 1300kv is significantly more ballsy than my 1000kv..... but i have secret plans for a new, improved, faster, better, stronger electrafun!

yes elgreko65, you've been warned! (if its any good, i'll post details!)

tom
Old 08-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Budmulla

Tom my dog loves nothing better than chasing my plane around the paddock ... gives him some exercise. Downside is occasionally after i land it he thinks its a bird i've shot down and goes and marks it with scent for me!
But he is a good sniffer dog and has helped find it in long grass after a crash and even finds rubberbands when they pop off!
I spoke to an old friend online recently and he reckons some of his friends were doing crazy stuff to the electrafuns including one guy who somehow fitted 3 Brushless motors to it!!!!!!! Reckons it sounded like a jet taking off ....... now that's obviously overkill but with the price of the parts ..... its cheap fun to go into overkill mode!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:13 AM
jaav

Hi all, The good old E-fun.
Ive had mine for 3 years now, sitting idle for 1 , bought my son (9) one and he loves it. But got sick of the old man running rings around him. his was standard and the RX kept failing.
My plane was fitted with an inrunner 3900kv 2.2a 7.4 Li-po out of a D/F unit. who said you cant prop hang with OEM prop!. kept loosing props melting off the shaft or exploding. tried a 3 cell and cant hold the prop.
Both planes now fitted with 3200vk inrunners and OEM props and futaba TX/RX systems and the extended tail and 1x10mm CF bar ander the wings, ran mine with the 3 cell from my 3D Yak and did 2 things motor got so hot it melted the body and fell out then proceded to self destructed. repaired it with 2 "mud guard" washers so the mount is that solid because it clamps the remains of the mount inside and out. and a new motor.

with regards to the Aleron mod has any one been game to chop the wing at the dihedral point to make it work properley? Im in the process of making it in to a Bipe and choping the wings.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:21 AM
jimbyjoe

ORIGINAL: Budmulla

mate your dog is pretty good looking too
thank God this thread is still going.....i need to talk about my EF!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 AM
jimbyjoe

OK after stuffing around with a few RC planes that didn't work, finally got an EF from Mr Toys Lawnton (and spare parts conveniently supplied on my lunch break by Mrs Toys Queen St Mall)

Every time I went out, I could never get it up (the EF that is). I would occasionally get it up but lose control or whatever.

Last Sunday I took it out, same results. I was thinking - great, another attempt at getting an airborne RC hobby and it doesn't work. Maybe I should've listened to my wife...

BUT THEN - a stroke of genius. Rather than launching straight into the wind, I dropped the throttle a bit and threw it slightly across the wind. It picked up gloriously, I made a turn, and kept going for about 1 minute. I did this not once, twice, but three time. I felt such a relief!!! Except the 3rd time I managed to lose aspect and turn it the wrong way, straight into some powerlines. However the only thing which broke was the prop.

One thing I can highly suggest is that if you're starting out like me, put some thin packing tape along both edges of the wings. This has helped stop dings in the wings and also prop strike when crashing.

K
Old 08-22-2008, 02:23 AM
rudes

jimbyjoe, try flying no wind, I know that is a big ask because we all just want to fly no matter what the wind. Some people buy an XP and get up really early and go flying with no problems. Guess what no wind early in the morning and as the wind starts picking up they adjust and then finally go home happy when it gets too windy. The packing tape is a must and the carbon fibre rod along the top of the wing is a must. When you finally get some good height and want to dive down a bit the wing will fold in the middle and you will hear a nice big clap as the wing tips meet each other. It then spirals down to earth, it looks cool lol, ask me why I know lol. Also Mr Toys sells a $49 simulator (transmitter and disc) tell him you can get it for $39 up the road where I live and he should come good with the price. Sim time and free downloads (FMS) of other planes.

Three quarter throttle and launch get some height turn slowly. I have nine planes and still fly my two XP's all the time.

Try the no wind.
Rudolf
Old 08-22-2008, 03:56 AM
jimbyjoe

eh rudes

ok cool thanks for the advice. i didn't think it would be never windy up yonder....as you know it's blowing a gale tonight. i will try the morning thing one weekend though....
i had FMS and didn't dig it, so got clearview, which seams to be a lot better to me.

if you don't mind me asking, whereabouts do you fly up there?
k
Old 08-24-2008, 09:21 AM
jaav

well we went flying today wind didnt drop off so we were in 15 kt winds. the young fella beat me in fly time 3 Lipo to my 1.
i set up his plane but was in a rush to do mine, Didnt notice that i used 2 bands on the wing, one was an used one (all ways use new ones per day) we both did a very high vertical, approx 200m then nosed them over straight down full speed, pulled up hard, the young fella was fine but I saw my wing come off its saddle and did a perfect high speed spiral in to the ground. luckly we have Beepers fitted so we can find them. the wing was half on the saddle with the old band loose.
Repaired the wing and went flying but she was asking full port just to keep it level. had to do a hot land but the wing gave away about 10 meters in the air and spiraled back to tera firma. I had a spare wing but not modified and in this wind to would clap. Oh well another wing for the bipe mod comming.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:25 AM
jaav

I see ppl are using CF rods on the top of the wing, i found i lost a lot of lift. I use CF bar 10x2mm under the wing, glue 2 rubber bands on the saddle and cut out a section for the CF bar.

Has any one else done this or is the top rod just a problem that I had.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:54 PM
jimbyjoe

ORIGINAL: jaav
luckly we have Beepers fitted so we can find them.
Excuse my ignorance, but what are there beepers?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:48 AM
jaav

Sorry they are an anoying plane finder that start beeping after no radio action after 2min, and it gets louder as time goes on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.