Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Old 11-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Buggygovroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Putfile media does not display for me for whatever reason. Can you link it from somewhere else? I cant see the vid.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Buggygovroom

Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

ORIGINAL: DepronJet

GREAT! Im going to have to tow my bae hawk with a corvette now to get it in the air because of all the weight I have to add to the nose. I'll go make a "Lawndart 1" stencil and spray the side now. It will make for good video. Looks like my stryker will be getting its gear back soon
if its one of my Hawks and you use the suggested cofg then you have a good half inch to play with
if its an ultrafly hawk then DO NOT go further back than their sugested cofg unless you like to fly a Kangaroo on Speed !

get that Pack as far forward as possib;e

Ray
You make a hawk kit too? Im going to have to make a bundle package deal on all your kits with you since your making all the planes I like

The reason im having a bit of a tough time balancing the plane is im using 13 oz in gear and trying to keep the AUW under or at 20-21 oz. I got the plane balanced today but the equipment im using is a 700 watt setup
Old 11-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Maine_Flyer

DJ, I like the nacelle on top.. touch and goes and ROG off wet grass or snow![>:]
Old 11-24-2006, 05:40 PM
DepronJet

You make a hawk kit too?
Ohh MY Gawd..

you aint never seen this? http://media.putfile.com/Hawk-Promo-Vid

or this.. http://media.putfile.com/HAWK-71

sorry about the wind noise but it was blowing a flippin gale and i was vid'ing it infront of the tannoy speaker !

Ray

Old 11-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Buggygovroom

You make a hawk kit too?
Ohh MY Gawd..

you aint never seen this? http://media.putfile.com/Hawk-Promo-Vid

or this.. http://media.putfile.com/HAWK-71

sorry about the wind noise but it was blowing a flippin gale and i was vid'ing it infront of the tannoy speaker !

Ray

Cant view putfile clips for whatever reason
Old 11-24-2006, 05:53 PM
DepronJet

You make a hawk kit too?
or this... http://media.putfile.com/Knock-for-Knock

this scared the pants off me..

i dont actually fly at the airshows.. i leave it to the pro pilots !
the Prop on the mono plane was bigger than the wing span of the hawk [X(]
but the Hawk Flies Faster MmUuu HHAHhhhahahahha

Ray
Old 11-24-2006, 05:57 PM
DepronJet

dont undertand why ! its been downloaded 1300 times and nobody has said they cant view it [&:]

check your codecs or try later.. its a popular file for downloads

Ray
Old 11-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Buggygovroom

dont undertand why ! its been downloaded 1300 times and nobody has said they cant view it [&:]

check your codecs or try later.. its a popular file for downloads

Ray

Putfile is the only site that gives me a problem. I found their download media link and after clicking through 10 pages of crap i get to dl it. I want that f-16

B
Old 11-24-2006, 06:35 PM
lusk29

Hey Guys
I been out of the loop for awile.Been working lot of hours etc.Good to see an new thread has been started.Ok I have out grown the 2409-12t Motor.Mine burned a bearing,so I figured time to step it up a bit.So I got a E-flite 40A ESC and the E-flite Six Series 2000 KV motor.I have a few battery packs.Two of them are 2200, 20 C and the other is a 2200, 15 C.Anyone have any idea a good prop size to star out with?I was thinking a APCE 6X4 and go from there.Anyone esle try this set up?
Old 11-24-2006, 06:54 PM
joe1
My Feedback: (9)

Hi lusk29 :-)
I have a HiMaxx 2815- 2000KV and I get 19amps static on a 6x4 APC-E and 24 on a 7x4 APC-E static and 29 AMPS static on a 7x5 APC-E , but I don't know the difference between the two motors, but it shoud give you some idea to start with.

ORIGINAL: lusk29

Hey Guys
I been out of the loop for awile.Been working lot of hours etc.Good to see an new thread has been started.Ok I have out grown the 2409-12t Motor.Mine burned a bearing,so I figured time to step it up a bit.So I got a E-flite 40A ESC and the E-flite Six Series 2000 KV motor.I have a few battery packs.Two of them are 2200, 20 C and the other is a 2200, 15 C.Anyone have any idea a good prop size to star out with?I was thinking a APCE 6X4 and go from there.Anyone esle try this set up?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:10 PM
critterhunter

I've heard people in the past discuss gorilla glue for working with foam. I've begun my new hotwired foamie camera platform build and decided to give this glue a try. Used it to glue two 2" thick slabs of foam together to make a fat 4" fuse. Also used it to add some 6" extensions to my 36" foam wing to make it 48" long. All I can say is wow...this stuff does foam up by adding just a tiny bit of water and will fill the gaps between two parts as well as work it's self into the foam pours for a VERY strong hold. Just have to put some weight on the two parts or clamp them down so the glue doesn't push them apart. Still like my 5 minute epoxy for gluing on most parts but if you've got a less than perfect match between two surfaces the foaming action is a major plus to fill the gap and create a very strong bond. To fill such things for strength such as the empty very front chamber on a Stryker body I use "Great Stuff" spray in foam from Home Depot. Much lighter and foams up more than Gorilla glue is going to. Anyway, this Gorilla glue deserves a spot in your workshop for certain situations. It should be the perfect glue to use to repair foam body damage on a Stryker if the two parts are missing some foam between them. I also found out that you only need about 1/10th the amount of water as you do the glue. Mix them together and brush it on like paint. It gets pretty tacky pretty quick but probably needs to sit two or three hours before putting any stress on the joint, though I think it needs an overnight curing to really get solid. Anybody have any other tips on using this glue? I've got one...Don't get it on your hands and then talk on a cell phone for five minutes.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:55 PM
DepronJet

try a a 6x4 then a 7x4
Old 11-24-2006, 08:21 PM
lusk29

Didnt look very high to me
Old 11-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Gryphon

Mach62,

Check this out, it tells you how high you went, cost $40

R/C universe: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/n...roduct_id=1088
manufacturer link: http://wingedshadow.com/ (see bottom of page)
__________________________________________________ ________

Lucky9910,
You can fly with a 4200 battery no problem; just make sure that the C.G. is put to same location as before. To do that the battery will need to be installed way further back (away from nose), foam needs to be cut to make room for battery, and since that leaves you less room behind the battery for ESC and Receiver, make sure you have a plan to see where they are going to be, cut more foam as needed to make them fit.
If that battery comes in 2 configurations, get the shortest one. For example thunder power Prolite series 4200-3S comes in slim (long) and block (short), so in that case get the block type. It is the stock 2100 length, but twice the width. Well regarding the battery shape; if others know better, I would like to hear it, I'm talking about my experience, and knowing what does C.G. with stock Elevons and stock vertical fins while using the stock C.G. location.

I've flown that way, it is great, it is fantastic for real long flight. Your stall speed will be higher so keep an eye on it, if you have dual rate and if your low rate is really low, then during landing make sure to use high rate especially if the battery is dead and ESC cut-off has occurred, if you don’t, you may not have good control of the plane and not enough up elevator and such........
I have seen one guy fly with the ESC in front of the battery, but I hate to see that. Great if he does not crash, but if he does...That battery will be a battering ram and will smash the ESC. There is no need to do that in my opinion, make room for everything in back of battery. If you are running at 30+ AMP, you might even notice higher speeds, because the voltage will not drop as much, and you will also draw little higher amps than before. So if you go from 2100 to 4200 mAH, the flight duration will be little less than twice as long.
Another great thing is that the wind will affect you less due to more weight. A bad thing that you will see right away is that when you make a hard turn you will notice that the plane will not make as tight a turn. How can I describe it....it feels like a wash out....Well your tightest turns will be larger than before, so you will be giving up some of your aerobatic ability.

Personally, I love carrying as much battery as I can...and I love high speed....Blame the DARK SIDE.....

Gryphon

Old 11-25-2006, 12:51 AM
Buggygovroom

Stryker armed with 2 estes a-10 rockets!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82226.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	566241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55407.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	566242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92017.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	566243  
Old 11-25-2006, 05:00 AM
Gryphon

Buggygovroom,

This is an edit:
I see my original post will live forever.

Seriously, I was looking at the pics that you had sent me, and I see that the battery is all the way forward. Starting from the front edge of the hatch and then going back. It looks like the cooling air from the vents is going to be behind the battery. I have no doubt that you will be checking the temp of the battery.

Question: If the battery ends up getting a little too hot, do you have any plans as far as how to cool it? Will you be cutting 2 more vent holes, or 1 vent hole on the bottom with your famous scoop, or 1 hole through the center of the nose...? Any ideas ahead of time?

Gryphon
Old 11-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Buggygovroom

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

Buggygovroom,

I just got home 2 a.m. now. My date saw the pictures and she wanted to know if those rockets were in lieu of the missing motor on the back....
LOL....

sorry, she made me post this.

You can yell at me in an e-mail....

she says cute rockets though.

p.s. I'll delete this post after I wake up. LOL.....

Gryphon
Heres where the motor went for the time being.

I still need 2 micro switches I can get from a local speed shop. I dont have high expectations for the hawk today

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72531.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	566398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80760.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	566399  
Old 11-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Mach62

Good luck with the Hawk. It was my first real build and it never got far off the ground. I think my CG was off and it just torqued over and smashed into the ground. Because I had my 1320 mah battery so far forward and had carved out so much foam it really took a beating - a real heartbreaker. After a few failed attempts to launch it, I lost my temper and smashed it to bits like a 2 year old. I am sure you will fair better as I have only been flying for a few months.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:26 PM
lusk29

Hey guys
The 40 AM E-Flite ESC I picked up is having problems.I used my Tower Pro 30A ESC to test with, and everthng works fine.I took back the 40A to get another and they were out of stock.Do you guys think I can get aways with this 30A for a few days?Im running the E-Flite 2000KV Six Series motor,with either a 5x4 or a 6x4.Do you guys think it will blow the ESC up?My stryker has plenty of air holes for cooling.Maybe If I just stick with the 5X4 it may not over amp.What do you guys think?
Old 11-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Gryphon

lusk29,

I presume your battery is 3S.

I don't have that motor nor is it in MOTOCalc, but I ran several simulations for you on MOTOCalc using various 2000KV motors even going up to 2100 and 2300KV.

I can not guarantee it, but it looks like your ESC will be fine even with the 6X4 prop.

You might consider taking your plane to your LHS if they are friendly and provide service. Ask them to take an AMP reading for you.

Since you are stepping up, consider buying a Watt-meter type tool. Some are better than others. Try and get one that shows all 4 main numbers at once without pushing a button to go from one value to the next. Around $60 for a good one ($45-$60)

If you are going to run the smaller 5X4 prop for now, have no worries, you are more than o.k. with 30 AMP ESC.

Gryphon

Old 11-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Buggygovroom

ORIGINAL: Mach62

Good luck with the Hawk. It was my first real build and it never got far off the ground. I think my CG was off and it just torqued over and smashed into the ground. Because I had my 1320 mah battery so far forward and had carved out so much foam it really took a beating - a real heartbreaker. After a few failed attempts to launch it, I lost my temper and smashed it to bits like a 2 year old. I am sure you will fair better as I have only been flying for a few months.

Maidened today. Barely needed any toss at all to lift off. This thing was a rocket and clocked in at 135 mph and 80 at half throttle with my gear. I either stripped the elevator servo or lost signal all together tward the end of the flight which caused it to nose in from about 150 feet. I was having second thoughts on the receiver I was using but range test showed no problem and it was the only 6 channel receiver I had and I needed all the channels. Its definitely worth rebuilding and I bought myself a berg 7ch microstamp today.

Controls were smooth with the wooden surfaces and it was extremely fast. Its a shame I used an art-tech receiver... what a piece of crap.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Buggygovroom

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

Buggygovroom,

This is an edit:
I see my original post will live forever.

Seriously, I was looking at the pics that you had sent me, and I see that the battery is all the way forward. Starting from the front edge of the hatch and then going back. It looks like the cooling air from the vents is going to be behind the battery. I have no doubt that you will be checking the temp of the battery.

Question: If the battery ends up getting a little too hot, do you have any plans as far as how to cool it? Will you be cutting 2 more vent holes, or 1 vent hole on the bottom with your famous scoop, or 1 hole through the center of the nose...? Any ideas ahead of time?

Gryphon
I added intakes on the sides of the nose before the maiden, as well as some last minute touch ups with screws in the servo horns and trimming. The build was definitely fun and worth all the time put into it... I should have broke and went to buy a receiver instead of what I used. It would have been here ready for another flight tomorrow if I did... All I can say is.. what a rocket! If I had my 6s in there it would have been unreal. Maybe next build.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:20 PM
lusk29

Anyone know if 2 degrees is to much for the 2000KV Six Series Motor?Im runing at 7 as of right not.But not imressed with it
Old 11-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Gryphon

Way to go Buggy, 135 MPH....

Very impressive, I bet with that 6.5X6.5 prop the thing would have launched vertical except for some roll,.......

Sorry to hear about the crash, if I have nightmares and relive my MEGA-Zilla crash, I know who to blame....

Keep up the great work.

Oh yeah...there is a non HV (high voltage) ESC that is good for 3-10 cells, it is by Jeti and it is sold by www.hobby-libby.com but it is too expensive. Just though you would want to know.

Gryphon
Old 11-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Mach62

Buggy: 700 Watts in that little Hawk - wow no wonder its a rocket!

What motor, prop and number of cells where you using? Same set-up as on the 120mph Stryker but on 5S?

I ordered one of those Jeti controllers and if I did not have a watt meter I would have got the SPIN version ESC which logs everything a wattmeter does during flight but it is a fair bit heavier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.