Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Ultracoat a foamie parkflier

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 02:18 PM
S3eker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultracoat a foamie parkflier

Anybody have any experience with attempting to ultra-coat a foamie? Specificaly I would like to cover my e-starter parkflier. I normaly build kits (and this seemeded like a kit at times) and enjoy coating. Any cons? I'm assuming weight but was curios if anyone else has done this already. Or also, painting.

Thanks[8D]
Old 12-31-2006, 02:53 PM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Ultracoat a foamie parkflier

Model Airplane News had an article about covering a Formosa. Seemed to work fine as long as you stay at pretty low temperatures (film must work at low temperature). The foam surface needs to be smoothed: at least sanding, possibly a spackle job too.

The E-Starter "windows" might be tricky (been a while since I covered anything, though).
Old 12-31-2006, 11:22 PM
S3eker

Thanks for the heads-up perttime. I hadn't thought about the temp on the foam. I might go ahead and paint her. Do you if that might cause any issues?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:41 PM
jmtdmt
My Feedback: (1)

Never tried it but I don't think I'd use Ultra Coat on foam the minimum shrink temp is 300 degrees F which might be to much for the foam. I have used Solite with good results only problem is it is somewhat transparent. I have heard of people using Solarfilm with decent results.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

I actually tested different types of foam with Ultracoat 2 days ago. Fan Fold, EPP, EPS, Z-Foam, Depron, and so on.
The Glue on Ultracoat will become active at 220 and shrink at 300.
The Ultracoat stuck really good to the depron and fan fold but the fan fold shows alot of blimishes.
I also tried some on the F-27 Styker body and it held well but of course it shows the "honeycomb".
Then I sanded some of the area and cleaned it and it held better and was smoother.
On the really cheap styrofoam it is no where worth doing, it will peel up and even the low heat will expand the honeycombs and they show through.
If you work slow enough at first and get it tacked and smoothed you can go back over it to help shrink it.
I suggest getting a scrap of what foam you have and give it a go first to zero in on your temp and how fast/slow that you move.
But it can and does work nice on foam.