Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Badius Owners Club (CONTINUED)

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club (CONTINUED)

Old 03-01-2009, 05:25 PM
ConRMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club (CONTINUED)

Export,

Thanks for the come-back.

I need to know the right method to measure the wattage of a brushless motor that has no documentation.

I've bench mounted it withan 11.1v lipo, 18a esc, prop installed, using an Astro Flight 101 meter.

Do I use the amps and loaded voltage at maximum throttle or do I use only the max throttle amps and 11.1v. My voltage under test always goes less than 11.1v.

When I use the power details of the featured planes in two copies of FlyRC, the max throttle voltage always comes out to 10.9v. I don't understand something.[sm=confused.gif]

Thanks for the help, ConRman[8D]
Old 04-01-2009, 08:08 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some members looking for this. it was in parkflyers but a few pages back.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Marc, this is the one we terminated to fit into search patterns. Here is the thread that is still locked down. BOC 3 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63...age_756/tm.htm And at this point it would have to go to BOC 4. I am trying really hard not to give up on this part of RCU. But, some real outreach will be necessary to new guys. I will do my part.

Tim
Old 04-04-2009, 06:19 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Well folks, I guess I will consider launching BOC 5 in a while.

Tim
Old 05-13-2009, 01:41 PM
dirtdobber42

Hello all. I just got my first RC plane a Hobbyzone Supercub. I love it I'm addicted to flying. Now i've found your huge thread about this Badius plane. Would It make another good plane for a novice flyer? Are spare parts available? Is it fairly tough and can you modify it later on. Thanks for any imput.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:29 PM
mad web tv scientist

dirt, the next two urls bring up businesses where I bought my five (5) Accipiter Badius airplanes. Although I now own and fly (and crash) six gunfighters (sport scale fighter planes) the ABs are still my favorite airplanes to fly in modified form. They work really great with beginning modelers, are fairly tough, and can be modified to be stronger and higher in aerodynamic performance capabilities.

Accipiter Badius 3-Channel Radio Remote Control RC RTF Airplane
http://www.wonderhobby.com/acba3rarecor1.html

3>CH R/C Airplane Radio [Remote Control] glider/plane Full Kit
http://www.raidentech.com/3rcairarcogl.html

The next url brings up pictures that include four of my completed ABs. One has not yet been prepared for flight. Some spare parts are available, but the price of the plane is so low that I recommend buying them two (2) at a time in order to have good back up equipment. The pictures provide ideas you might find useful along with my threads and posts that are still on the forum. Of course if you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

CALL TO GLORY!
http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/

ENJOY!

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:51 PM
dirtdobber42

Mad Scientist, Thanks for the reply and the links. I've got a friend wanting a plane two and have sent him these links also. Three more successfu flights with the Supercub today today. I thing I'll get a badius as my second plane. Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:44 PM
mad web tv scientist

BULLET PROOF BADIUS!

dobber, you are more than welcome! Congratulations on your successful flights. You have a really fine airplane there. It is much better for beginners than the FZ Cub that I and others fly as you can see from the size difference and post information on the two different threads in this forum.

Your posts inspired me to finally get my "SHOOT DOWN PROOF AB" airborne today. Spektrum technology makes it possible to enjoy interference worry free flying. With the addition of another channel it also makes almost all of the aerobatics I want to practice possible. I may also eventually get a brushless "inrunner" motor that will allow every maneuver I would ever need to fly possible.

With the high and low rates it will be more useful when flying with newbies who can fly on low rate and I can do tricks on high rates. My stock radio equipped Badius worked well on my last flying session with newbies, but lower rate control sensitivity would have been an improvement in their flying experience. Another thing that happened that was a little scary was the way the ship suddenly went into a tail spin from thermal ridding altitude. My first thought was "radio interference." After recovering from the spin and landing it dawned on me that all that fun I had been having flying around dead stick in the strong updrafts was possible because there were also some strong down drafts that I evidently got caught in.

KEEP ON HAVING FUN!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:11 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Dobber, you might want to look at something with ailerons and an fm radio for your next plane. Most of this crew has moved on from the badius. I think there is a stryker with a basic FM radio system. For parts you want to go to Hobby City. If you want to buy an FM or 2.4 system that is also a way to go. The specific plane I was going to recommend is call the Unique, but it's out of stock at the moment..

Tim
Old 10-22-2009, 02:25 PM
sxk122

well, don't know if any of the people from way back are still around afineman, agcat, loubud, captainrandy etc, but i was moving some things around in my garage and came across a stash of spare badius parts. A straight wing, a polyhedral wing, a tail assembly, a fuselage and two of the aluminium nose plates that pilotray made.... Anyone interested in any of these parts? if so shoot me an offer.

Simon
Old 10-22-2009, 03:00 PM
CaptainRandy

[quote]ORIGINAL: sxk122

well, don't know if any of the people from way back are still around afineman, agcat, loubud, captainrandy etc, but i was moving some things around in my garage and came across a stash of spare badius parts. A straight wing, a polyhedral wing, a tail assembly, a fuselage and two of the aluminium nose plates that pilotray made.... Anyone interested in any of these parts? if so shoot me an offer.

Some are here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102649

Old 10-22-2009, 03:40 PM
sxk122

awesome! moved a couple times in the last few years... glad to see some things haven't changed, lol
Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 PM
ZRAT

Simon - I copied your post over to the "Any airplane Thread" on RCG, the Badius boys will get the message.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:28 AM
calvino

WOW the old thread lives Aah I need to order some stuff so bad for my planes, sick of winding motors... do have the "factory wound" core to a blue wonder, should check if it works
Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 PM
sxk122

[quote]ORIGINAL: CaptainRandy

ORIGINAL: sxk122

Some are here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102649

Oops, i just got an email stating i can't sell things here.How about compensation for shipping, and any of the parts are yours. I'm not trying to make a profit, just pass parts on to people who might use them.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:50 PM
OkadaKeisuke
My Feedback: (1)

Hello,

I posted this in the wrong thread. Ooops. So I am re-posting it here...

Just had my maiden with my AB!!

What a nice little plane. I found that the location of it's CG was 2 3/8" from it's Leading edge.

She launched nice and level with a slight dip down, but then began to veer ever so slowly to the left. So I adjusted the trim and it helped a bit, but not enough. It went into a small maple sapling on the edge of the field. The rudder was a little "sluggish" and had a very slow response. So I increased the rudder throw to max. After that she really flew quite nicely! I did about 20 circuits before the engine cut, then she just glided right in and landed beautifully!

I charged the battery and went out again 3 hours later. This time the wind picked up from the north a bit (6-8mph). She handled real well, I climbed slowly with WOT into the wind, and then did a left hand turn, cut the throttle to 1/3 and let the wind carry me. She was cruising!! And the end of thedown wind leg I turned left yet again and glided her in for a landing against the wind. I got near the ground and the sail plane flaired a bit (ground turbulance?) before it gently settled down. I picked her up and launced her again, did several circuits and then ended the flight when the battery ran out again.

I was surprised at how well I performed more than anything. I own a Sig Kadet Senior, and only flew it once with a fellow from the local club. I was unable to fly it again because of poor timing and work. So now that I have more time, I decided to get a cheap decent plane to learn on in the meantime. The Kadet will fly again, once I am able to arrange time with the fellow at the club. Until then I will become accustomed to the Badius and learn a few basics about RC flight.
I did order a few extra batteries, I don't mind the stock ones, and If I had a few more I could fly that much longer. I ordered these [link=http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1009]AAA-700mAh 8.4v 7cell batteries[/link]. I hope they will work. I guess I should have asked you guys first. They weigh a bit more, something like 8 grams more.

Any way, I can't wait to fly the AB again!! Too much fun!!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:13 PM
mad web tv scientist

Okada, way to go! If I were allowed to own only one R/C airplane, it would be a modified Badius. I love to soar and perform aerobatics. The Badius can be modified to do everything I would ever need to do.

But alas, I am addicted to warbirds and their fabulous capability as teaching aides in the raging spiritual warfare that history has thrust upon us. I enjoy quoting the hero of the Battle of Britain mainly on the Spitfire thread in an attempt to rally modeling enthusiasts to the cause of glory, honor, and immortality!

Don't let any bad guys shoot you down. We need all the brave volunteers we can get.

CHECK SIX!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 12-05-2009, 09:19 PM
OkadaKeisuke
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for your words of encouragement Mad web tv scientist!