Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

What! Not another darn T-Moth

Old 02-05-2003, 05:51 PM
rahtware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What! Not another darn T-Moth

After reading all of the posts on this and other sites I decided that I had to get one. Followed most of the "upgrades" and it came out @ 9 1/8 oz RTF. I am using a 7 cell 350 mah NiMh battery which doesn't like the cold, but does put out over 8W for 11 min on my test setup. Waiting for it to reach full charge now so I can try a "first flight". The air is calm, but the temp is only 40 degrees.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:52 PM
rahtware

I can't believe it, but the darn thing flew! I had the CG all the way forward and yet it only took a couple of clicks of down and right trim. Backed the throttle to about 3/4 and used the pine trees as pylons! I don't want to be early on this, but I think I am going to enjoy the T-Moth more than my Slow Stick! Only problem was a rough landing in the grass (had to try just one more touch-N-go) popped two of the struts loose. I didn't see an upgrade on this problem, but will probably just pin them through the wing.

Beaver hummmm...

No, can't do it, I have to save up my pennies for a DC-3. I have wanted to build one ever sense I flew on one in '66 on my way to boot camp. I wonder if I can find the paint scheme for Trans Texas Airways?
Old 02-06-2003, 01:29 AM
jcoggins

Rahtware,
I bought the Tigermoth and have been having a blast. I also broke the struts free on my first couple of flights. I saw where one guy glued the entire length of the strut (the curved part) to the wing. I bet that wouldn't break free. Can you tell me what the difference is between the Tigermoth and the Slow Stick's flight qualities? Which is slower? Does the stick glide better after shutting off the motor? I can't imagine a better flying plane than the Moth, but it is pretty limited as far as mild aerobatics.... maybe the stick is better for that?
Josh
Old 02-06-2003, 02:06 AM
rahtware

Josh

I have only flown the TM twice so haven't got it balanced yet, but...

The TM out flies the SS in most aspects. The SS wins out on longer flights as it can carry one heck of a battery if needed. I am getting 15 minutes on plain old GWS 6 cell, 600mah packs. It also is easier to fly. And, it does glide for a long time... Both of these planes are quite "draggy" so don't expect great hang time from them. The TM should be able to land slower (once I get it balanced), but at this time the SS is winning the "slow" race.

I have already done barrel rolls and loops with my TM, and enjoy darting between trees in the lot across from my house. OTOH, the SS can do a lazy-8 and almost a roll, and sort-a a loop, and even kind-a inverted flight, but it is far from the performer that the TM is. As you already have a TM, I would get a Zero or 'Tang, instead of an SS. If you want a glider check out the Ascent.

I would get any one of those I have listed, but have a few projects lined up. And, I have to admit I am waiting for the DC-3 to be released.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:27 PM
ChicagoGj
My Feedback: (1)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jcoggins
Rahtware,
I bought the Tigermoth and have been having a blast. I also broke the struts free on my first couple of flights. I saw where one guy glued the entire length of the strut (the curved part) to the wing. I bet that wouldn't break free. Can you tell me what the difference is between the Tigermoth and the Slow Stick's flight qualities? Which is slower? Does the stick glide better after shutting off the motor? I can't imagine a better flying plane than the Moth, but it is pretty limited as far as mild aerobatics.... maybe the stick is better for that?
Josh
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did two things to mine(had to buy two) as far as the struts go. First I used 5 min epoxy on the whole length of the strut, not just the ends. That helped a lot. On my other one I made Balsa struts and also worked very well. I think its key to strip away some of the yellow covering to get a good bond. I think you will notice that when the glue or epoxy breaks lose, it's from the covering to the form. Not from the glue to the covering. This makes for a much better bond, but does one thing.....rips the foam off instead of just the covering. This makes for much harder repair jobs. I kinda think of it as Breakaway struts. I would rather have them pop lose from the covering, than rip the whole wing off. As for my Batt....I have settled on a 500 Mah NiMh-you will have to widen the batt channel, but the flight times and power are much increased. I have not burned up the motor yet, so it looks to be my battery of choice. Best of luck and this plane rocks. I just moved on the a brush-less Crazy eight...watch out...
Old 02-06-2003, 04:56 PM
jcoggins

ChicagoGj,
On my TM I glued 1/16" balsa to the plastic struts for reinforcement & only glued the strut part to the wing. The key to mimimal damage has been to only fly in no wind and have a decent place to land. So far the wings don't flex while in normal flight. I noticed the wings flexing on the exit of a wingover. So, I have been throwing around the idea of gluing a 1/2" peice of packing tape or carbon fiber tape along the length of the bottom wing at the leading and trailing edge. I would probably thin the epoxy with alcohol for maximum lightness. I am using a 9.6V 720mah Nimh AAA size battery. It gives me 30-33 minutes of flight time. The pack is square, so I only needed to shave about 1/16" of foam from the battery hole to make it fit. After about 20 minutes of flying, I start running out of maneavuers, so I don't really need the extra capacity. I would like to go with the LiPoly batts, but I don't like the idea of having to combine two packs toger to fly and then separating them for charging. I think I will wait until the technology advances to the point where they are more user friendly.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:10 PM
ChicagoGj
My Feedback: (1)

All good points. After about 15-20 minutes, I'm ready to brink her in. Sure is better than 5 minutes! I kinda did the what your talking about with the lower wing. I shaped some 1/8 balsa under the wing. It's about a 5 or 6 inch strip the runs on the leading edge of the wing, from the fuselage out. I formed it so it was flush with the wing. Gave it some great support for big dives. That's where I was having the problem, coming out of a big dive the wings had to much flex and broke once or twice. ( i beat the crap outta mine) Did you change your wheels? That even made a bit of a diff on the landings. I put some Dubro wheels on. Wanted to try ski's but could find any small enough for the moth. Batteries are becoming pretty good, and with the new Li stuff coming out, you will have 30 min flight times with a lot less weight. I was looking at one at venture Hobby in Chicago and I thought the guy told me you could get away with one. It was about the size of a ice cube. I think there was a 700 and 1400 rating available. You have to buy another charger as well. And that would be like 4 or five that I would have now...have to dump some on ebay or something.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:35 PM
jcoggins

I haven't changed my wheels yet. I will eventually. I'll have to check whether or not the Great Planes Triton charger will charge the Lipoly packs when they are already wired together. That is the charger that I want to buy. From what I have gathered... each Lipoly cell is 3.7 volts, so you have to wire them together to get 7.4 V. But, I have heard that you have to charge each cell separately. That seems like a lot of steps to go through to get the batteries charged. Seems like they would put two cells together to make a pack and then design a charger to chare it just like what we have now with the Nicad and Nimh setup.
Josh
Old 02-10-2003, 03:20 AM
AtomHeartMother

Check out 1020 kokams. These LiPoly's can be purchased already assembled with connector. I just got a pack from Bishop Power Products. They give the Moth more zip. Some guys are reporting a hour of flight time with these packs. The beauty of the whole deal is they're even lighter than 7 cell NiMH(300-370mah). I look forward to a calm day when I can keep the Moth up for 20 minutes or more. Oh and the kokams will charge just fine as a 2 cell pack. There are LiPoly chargers out there that will charge ready made, multiple cell kokams. I was weary of them at first, but after seeing them perform, the Moth will never see another NiMH pack.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:28 AM
jcoggins

AtomHeartMother,
Thanks for the info! What kind of flight times have you gotten so far with the kokam? Does it fit in the battery slot without modifications? Like I said, I don't need 1hr flight times, so if they have a smaller pack in the 700mah range, I would probably go for that to get a little weight advantage over the larger capacity batterys. I'll have to research LiPolys some more, they sure sound great.
Josh
Old 02-10-2003, 05:37 AM
AtomHeartMother

I modified my battery compartment. It's really easy though. They're kind of the size of a zippo lighter, but of course, weighing much less. I haven't had a chance to fly them for very long....the weather here has been terrible. Even if you aren't concerned with long flight times...figure you could take 3 or more 10 minute flights without recharging. The LiPoly's give you the freedom of leaving the charger at home. They're performance will be degraded in cold weather though-just as NiMH will. I think the motor has a little more zip with the kokams. Check out the e-zone...lots of good info there.