Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Old 11-10-2007, 07:22 PM
kassun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Got my T-28 a yesterday and brought her out this evening for her maiden flight. The ground check went fine, gave her a 1/2 throttle and she climbed nicely. About 30 sec into the flight she started glitching like mad, luckily i was able to land with minimal damage. I'm on channel 21. Looks like i'l be contacting the manufacture for a new receiver and tx. She flew gret for the 30 sec.

-Kassun
Old 11-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Bigtone

ORIGINAL: Bigtone
ESC and Motor Bad News!!!!

I was flying my plane last week and when it was close to the low voltage cutoff, my motor started to shutter. I then came in for a landing without thinking anything was wrong. I took the plane out yesturday and whille doing the precheck all controlls worked but, the throttle wasn't there. I then took the canopy off and checked the plugs and battery and all seemed well. I tried throttle again and a cracking sound came from the front of the plane. I then smelt smoke and quickly unplugged the battery. I came home and and turned on the video camera and took the plane's motor and ESC out. I tested them while them outside of the plane, soon after the motor caught on fire and ESC started to smoke. So, I have all this on video, I Just need to upload the video. I will post later.
Motor Fire and ESC smoke Videos

[link=http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=21814121]Parkzone T-28 ESC & Motor Issues Part 1[/link]

[link=http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=21815961]Parkzone T-28 ESC & Motor Issues Part 2[/link]
Old 11-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Dragonfueled

Holy crap man thats crazy stuff. Nice documentation...... T28 FIREBALL anyone? LOL
Old 11-10-2007, 09:20 PM
kereams

Thats nuts! Thanks for sharing the footage.

You should really be using a separate BEC. With having the extra two servo's on that E-Flite 25A, according to the manual, you are pushing the limits well beyond what it's capable of. I'm not sure I would mention that to Parkzone.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...025_manual.pdf

I went ahead and ordered a ParkBEC from Dimension Engineering just to be safe. Best of luck.
Cheers,
Keith
Old 11-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Bigtone

LOL, I the word of Beavis and Butthead Fire Fire [sm=lol.gif]
Old 11-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Bigtone

ORIGINAL: kereams

With having the extra two servo's on that E-Flite 25A, according to the manual, you are pushing the limits well beyond what it's capable of. I'm not sure I would mention that to Parkzone.

Cheers,
Keith
Maybe but, those servos aren't in use like the rudder, elevator, and ailerons seros are. The motor shutter started before the flap mod. I have 6 other brands of ESC's and the LVC's comes on differently on each one. I just thought this ESC had that normal motor shutter before LVC. The flap servos should not pull that must power when they are up. By that servo rating on the link they would be pushing it by having 4 servos on the plane with 3s lipo with bec enabled. The motor started to shutter before the ESC started smoking. Why would they use a 5ch with X mod setup if the ESC could not handle it?[sm=confused_smile.gif]

I went ahead and ordered a ParkBEC from Dimension Engineering just to be safe. Best of luck.
That [link=http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm]Parkflyer Switch-mode BEC[/link] seems like a Good deal.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16325.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	801059  
Old 11-10-2007, 10:22 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

BigTone: Sorry about your goods on the T-28. Nice documentary by the way. I like the flaps and paint job as well. I believe it was too many servos w/o a decent BEC. Send me your address and I will hook you up. I am not using and it is just sitting. You are welcome to it if you want. This is what you need (pic). Besides, A man of your size, I am sure they will send you what ever you request!! Thanks for the giggles
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31840.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	801089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20271.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	801090  
Old 11-10-2007, 10:59 PM
wingnut65

Hey Keaeams sorry it took me so long to get back to you I am on vacation up in Canada. Try this link ! http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...o=file&id=3451
Old 11-10-2007, 11:02 PM
wingnut65

Hey guys the link for the T-28 on Realflight is http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...o=file&id=3451
Old 11-10-2007, 11:15 PM
wingnut65

I have the T-28 with me in Canada. I have had it up 3 times so far. Works great with the 40amp E-Flight ECS. More flying Sunday cant wait to chase more cows !!! LOL
Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Bigtone

ORIGINAL: lear31A

Besides, A man of your size, I am sure they will send you what ever you request!! Thanks for the giggles
Yeah, I'm 6' 2" 300lb Ex lineman with size 15 shoe.

What makes this so bad, all my planes are grounded and I got spoiled with the T-28. That made me get lazy with making repairs and other.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:10 AM
traxxboy

haha. I am a 6 foot free saftey for my local high school. RTF will spoil you. WHen I got my pz spit. My glow planes got grounded till my gearbox broke. THen I had to fix them. Nice paint job by the way
Old 11-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Bigtone

Thanks, I'm going to buy a PNP and my next painted T-28 may in up on ebay. I was so scared to fly it after the paint job and then I manned up at it was worth it.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Dragonfueled

So what do you guys think is going on with these things? The bec in the esc is going? I know he had more servos but he is by far not the only one to toast the esc.
The link to the bec says no digital servos....Arent our servos digital?
Old 11-11-2007, 10:36 AM
S3etigoHide

I got one a few days back. This was my second plane, the first being a super cub. Seams like a really good next step for Cub owners.

[link=http://youtube.com/watch?v=xXZVb9dPg9k]Here's the maiden video.[/link]
Old 11-11-2007, 12:21 PM
kereams

ORIGINAL: Dragonfueled

So what do you guys think is going on with these things? The bec in the esc is going? I know he had more servos but he is by far not the only one to toast the esc.
The link to the bec says no digital servos....Arent our servos digital?
My Rudder and Elevator servos are the [link=http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ1090]DSV130 digitals[/link]. The ailerons are standard [link=http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ1081]3W SV80 servos[/link]. The manual states only the rudder is supposed to be digital. I think they do this due to the extra torque and force on the rudder servo due to the linkage to the front wheel. The digital servos that PZ uses are metal gear.

I am sure that this is not helping the BEC issue. The BEC in the E-Flite 25A states with a 3S LIPO it can support: 2 high torque servos or 3 standard servos or 4 sub-micro servos. The note on the sub-micro servos states:
** Sub-Micro Servos tested 4 at a time include E-Flite S-60, and S-75, JR 241, and ParkZone 3W servo.
Some other brands of servos have significantly higher current draw. Digital sub-micro servos, micro, and
mini-servos have higher current draw, use the 'standard servos' column.

I know I am not the only one with two digital servos. Maybe this is an assembly error and is perhaps causing issues. I personally never use my rudder in flight so maybe our "flight habits" can make the difference of the BEC being adequate or not. Either way PZ shot themselves in the foot with the BEC rating, IMHO.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:26 PM
iheartmpls

BigTone - great videos and nice documentation. I saw that a ParkZone rep had posted previously on this thread, I wonder what he's got to say about the ESC and/or Motor frying on you like that. I almost bought my T-28 from my LHS this weekend, but to be honest I'm having second thoughts right now (at least on the RTF model). I'm new to the hobby and money isn't exactly plentiful, so buying a kit that's already got known issues kinda freaks me out. It's a bummer too because the T-28 looks like an ideal "next step" for me.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:42 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

I must say, I almost passed on this airplane after reading of the problems some folks are having. I AM GLAD I BOUGHT IT! I have had a blast this weekend. No problems what so ever with the radio and the plane is solid as a rock. The vert. stab was damaged in the hobby-store and they offered $50 off. I gambled and it paid. I recommend it. Every airplane has issues. Especially when you start modifying it,etc. The flaps look cool and are fun to tinker with, but this airplane is great right out of the box. I intentionally flew it really high almost out of sight and I had full control the entire time. The radio is fine. At least this is my experience so far.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 PM
kassun

I contacted HZ support and they told me to ship back the plane for tests. It really suck that I paid $$$.$$ and now I have to pay more to ship the plane to get a replacement. I tried using my Futaba radio and receiver and it worked fine until I plugged in the rudder/wheel servo. Then the plane started to twitch and the engine would fire up every few seconds like clock work and my throttle was at 0.

-Kassun
Old 11-12-2007, 07:31 PM
kereams

Replace that digital servo and be done with it. Does everything else work if the rudder servo is unplugged? You can get a servo for the price of shipping.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:23 PM
kassun

kereams:

Would the servo cause the motor to fire up every few seconds with the throttle off?

Would the servo cause the initial problem of all of the servos glitching?

thanks,
Kassun
Old 11-12-2007, 08:56 PM
kereams

Not sure...if its dragging the voltage down than anything is possible. I'd try it and see.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:02 PM
jessie j

I ordered the t-28 but,the myrc fiasco with horizon (cancelled) order , now with the t-28 problems id like to know what is a good brushless RTF i can buy 4 channel ?
Old 11-12-2007, 11:06 PM
S3etigoHide

Does anyone else have a T-28 that starts to vibrate at about half throttle? It seams to die down at higher throttle levels. I think that my motor shaft might have come bent. []

Thanks
Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 PM
kereams

Mine did that. I swapped out the prop and it went away. I think I had an out of balance prop. I'd try that before doing anything else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.