Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:26 AM
sundance58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

why is every one saying the T28 trojan is wallowly and unresponsive, i find it a great craft very fast very responsive and handles like a dream, please some one tell us all what is wrong, there are a dozen of us on this forum who have been flying the T28 for a while and we all have helped each other one time or other and will help you guys having problems but the T28 is a great plane\

does ant one here disagree with me who has been flying it a while
please leave feed back i would love to help any of you

i flew mine right out of box fantastic and it went so high it was out os sight and i still had controll, if not for my spotter i would have lost it
downunderdog dont you agree

sundance58
Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 AM
sundance58

LOL yes i agree the ground is your enemy
always keep your eyes on your attitude and dont let your self travel from the plane

sundance58
Old 08-28-2009, 03:33 AM
downunderdog

ORIGINAL: sundance58

why is every one saying the T28 trojan is wallowly and unresponsive, i find it a great craft very fast very responsive and handles like a dream, please some one tell us all what is wrong, there are a dozen of us on this forum who have been flying the T28 for a while and we all have helped each other one time or other and will help you guys having problems but the T28 is a great plane\

i flew mine right out of box fantastic and it went so high it was out os sight and i still had controll, if not for my spotter i would have lost it

sundance58
I'm not in a position where I can agree or disagree with that statement, as I wasn't around when you took yours out of the box and flew it... but I believe you, and I do agree that the Trojan flies very well and is usually crisp and responsive.

I think you've misunderstood some of the recent discussion in this thread. Most of us here DO agree that the airplane flies well (otherwise we wouldn't be spending our time flying and repairing it and talking about it here). PSB667 posted that his plane wasn't flying well - which I can also believe - and some of us responded about things that might make a normally crisp flying airplane fly wallowy. Based on my experience, when my elevator hinge broke my Trojan did fly wallowy and like a dog. It doesn't usually, but when the hinge was broken it did, so if someone else is reporting poor handling it's a reasonable thing to check, IMO.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:11 PM
MAX HEADSPEED

[quote]ORIGINAL: sundance58

i have had my T28 for 6 months and it zooms,..... i was used to flying hobbyzone firebird freeedom when i got the t28......

AHH YESS! The HBZ FireBird Freedom. I had one for two years and loved the challenge to fly it. A group of plane eating trees got mine last year.

I agree that the T28 flies like a dream. Mine is stock except for the Tx/Rx set up. I've got about 55+ sorties on mine and all without the landing gear. It looks great doing the pattern as well as other scale maneuvers. I have some HBZ stock 1800mAh packs and some newer 2200mAh packs from another mfg.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:48 AM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

sundance58
[:-] Someone stole almost all of your puncuation!
Old 08-29-2009, 04:28 PM
patmatgal

No complaints here. Flies better than the Corsair (but the Corsair has a much higher coolness factor) so the T-28 is the plane to go to.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:21 PM
cjg

I got one of the first t-28's when they first came out. If the cg is set to factory specs it is very crisp and responsive. After a few crashes and fixes to the cowl and firewall, and changing some electronics, I tested the CG and found it had moved forward quite a bit. That made it very stable, but sluggish. I put a screw in the tail for weight, and moved the battery back about 2 inches and it flies very well again.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Greetings,

I saw the USAF scheme T-28 flew and that color was rather hard to see in the sky. If you have overcast then it is even harder due to its greyish color. The white and red is much more visible. I suggest PZ recolor the foam to make it more silverish as the dark grey is one of the colors that is hard to see. DP
Old 08-31-2009, 01:38 PM
tomdiebomb

Here is a video of the T-28D flying stock. I am still waiting for my Turnigy upgrade so I am not getting too squirrely because I don't want to crash it lol. This video is of my 85th and 86th flight and I still love this damn bird, even stock! Enjoy!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLM_5UCpUa4[/youtube]
Old 08-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Bad Maxx

That is some mighty excellent flying and another tip of the hat to the camera crew! I enjoyed watching that video immensely!
Old 08-31-2009, 08:37 PM
rcbartra

Hi tom
I gotta say it, looks like you picked up really quick, from dive crashing first flight to loops, rolls etc
You're probably on your way to a 3D plane...keep up the good work.

I enjoyed the video as well, once again, that field is awesome!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:45 PM
psb667

sorry I should have been more specific. As it is the problem solved itself with finding the right prop for my flying style. Thank you for the inputs.

How did you go about fixing the broken hinge im using hinge tape and it feels pretty secure
ORIGINAL: downunderdog

ORIGINAL: cjg

ORIGINAL: psb667

What am i doing wrong? My trojan is a total dog its wallowy and dosnt respond has no crispness at all. I can fly the thing all day long no problem but it never delivers anything even vaguely exciting. Ive seen video of good clean crisp flights from the trojan, so I know its possible
Check your center of gravity. If it is too nose heavy it ''wallows'' a bit and is unresponsive.

Are your batteries beginning to lose their power?
Also, what are your throws set at? How much above and below the wings are the ailerons with full stick input? How much up and down does the elevator go above it's neutral position with full stick input? You get the most flight control travel with the control rods connected further out on the servo arms (further from the pivot point on the servo) and further in (closer to the flight control surface) on the flight control horn.

Also, check your hinges to make sure that they're all secure. When my elevator hinge broke on one side, it made the plane fly like it was nose heavy - very wallowy.
[/quote]
Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 PM
downunderdog

I used 3M Blenderm medical tape (also sold as hinge tape at hobby shops for about 3x the price!) to fix my hinge. Feels very secure.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 AM
tomdiebomb

That is some mighty excellent flying and another tip of the hat to the camera crew! I enjoyed watching that video immensely!
Thanks Badmaxx!

Hi tom
I gotta say it, looks like you picked up really quick, from dive crashing first flight to loops, rolls etc
You're probably on your way to a 3D plane...keep up the good work.

I enjoyed the video as well, once again, that field is awesome!!!
Thanks RC Barta! As a matter of fact, I have just completed building my first Depron Foamy plane. I have it all set up and am just waiting for the motor. It should be 3D capable once I set the throws to full.
I will post some vids of the maiden when I get her all set up(this week hopefully).
OOps the pics are too big for here, I will send you to the link where I posted them, the link is also the plans for making the plan. The pics are the last post, McDyvie:

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674182&page=3]The Dawghouse[/link]
Old 09-01-2009, 07:58 AM
sundance58

i think some times i am the luckest person alive, i have only bought one plane that gave me trouble out of box and that was recent, i just purchased a stryker jet, that is probly my fault because i failed to think and react as fast as a computer but when doing 80MPH it is kinda hard to react that fast
i agree with you though i broke my rudder linkage and repaired it without buying a new one and i got very slugish very fast in my bankings and landings,
BTW if anyone has advise on flying jets i could use it, this is my first and im moving into nitro at christmas so i really want to master the stryker

but i will never quit on my T28 i must be lucky no crashes just rough landings, im still having trouble flareing the fron wheel on landings
any advise on that also is welcome and thank you for clearing me up one this i was miss understanding i was thinking these were complaints out of box flights which i have seen a few out at field but in general it has a good rating by most pilots

BTW if any of you do not own a stryker but plan to get one i recommend getting a exsperianced jet pilot and buddy box, i augered my first flight and tore my cone bad, how can you think sorrection that fast???????
Old 09-01-2009, 05:38 PM
GaGeeBees

i think some times i am the luckest person alive, i have only bought one plane that gave me trouble out of box and that was recent, i just purchased a stryker jet, that is probly my fault because i failed to think and react as fast as a computer but when doing 80MPH it is kinda hard to react that fast
i agree with you though i broke my rudder linkage and repaired it without buying a new one and i got very slugish very fast in my bankings and landings,
BTW if anyone has advise on flying jets i could use it, this is my first and im moving into nitro at christmas so i really want to master the stryker

but i will never quit on my T28 i must be lucky no crashes just rough landings, im still having trouble flareing the fron wheel on landings
any advise on that also is welcome and thank you for clearing me up one this i was miss understanding i was thinking these were complaints out of box flights which i have seen a few out at field but in general it has a good rating by most pilots

BTW if any of you do not own a stryker but plan to get one i recommend getting a exsperianced jet pilot and buddy box, i augered my first flight and tore my cone bad, how can you think sorrection that fast???????
The advice on flying your Stryker is simple: LOW rates. Sounds like a classic case of overcontrol due to having too much throw on the control surfaces. Start with very low rates and work your way up to higher rates. Add expo to soften up the sticks at the center. It'll make a world of difference.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:51 AM
mattress74

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

The advice on flying your Stryker is simple: LOW rates. Sounds like a classic case of overcontrol due to having too much throw on the control surfaces. Start with very low rates and work your way up to higher rates. Add expo to soften up the sticks at the center. It'll make a world of difference.
I was going to ask this question so this is a perfect place.... What exactly does EXPO do? Moving it which way was does what?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:15 PM
tomdiebomb

Expo basically just kind of softens up the middle of the stick range for you. Some people like it a bit more mushy in the middle, others don't. I like to fly with about 20% Expo myself.

And, here is the video I promised of the maiden of my Depron 3D Foamy. Ends badly, due to mechanical error, but my gods, what a plane to fly!
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdJcXbRhh5M]Maiden Dawghouse[/link]
Old 09-03-2009, 12:59 AM
sundance58

thank you very much, i had heard of using expo but was not sure how or where to, any rate i am on high rate because thats how im used to flying my prop planes, and i can start on low and work my way up, i had though that at low rates i would be unable to stunt the plane but after i read this i went to the forum on the stryker and every one says they started with low rates even the pro's that have been flying since the old cox engine.
i had 3 cox planes when i was a kid 50 years ago and still have them all though i dont think they will run now after sitting so many years, my wife told me to suction them off on ebay and i told her they would not bring much.
do you have a thought on the value of the old cox biwing craft????

thanks for the advise first thing saturday im going to the fiels and reset my horns and controls to low rate and give her a fly, i am very surprised i never thought about that, thanks again GAGEEBEES im very greatful for the insight.

BTW does any one have knowledge of Boats im wanting to buy a new one and can not decide to go nitro or stick with electric, i have heard that nitro boats are more trouble than they are worth due to water getting in the controll box and engine. please advise on this idea
thanks.
sundance58[:-][X(][&:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90134.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1267857  
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 PM
trickytune

Can anyone post a pic of how the receiver is to be connected due to the extremely poor manual in black and white. How does the receiver get power from the battery? The manual shows no connection. Or do I just smash the radio set and buy one with a good manual? Owned plane for 6 months and yet to turn the prop! Not happy

Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 PM
GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: trickytune

Can anyone post a pic of how the receiver is to be connected due to the extremely poor manual in black and white. How does the receiver get power from the battery? The manual shows no connection. Or do I just smash the radio set and buy one with a good manual? Owned plane for 6 months and yet to turn the prop! Not happy

The receiver gets power from the Speed Control/ESC which plugs into the throttle channel port on the receiver.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:48 AM
downunderdog

Owned plane for 6 months and yet to turn the prop! Not happy
That can't be all the fault of the plane.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:42 PM
tomdiebomb

Here is a video of my T-28 with the Turnigy SK 35-42 motor. Nice vertical even though the video is only with a 20C 3S. I wanted to test the 30C in the vid but it started raining. The 30C was tested later without vid and man, it just screams!
Enjoy!
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_nJ80GA3g]T-28 SK 35-42[/link]
Old 09-10-2009, 08:02 PM
rcbartra

Nice vid tom, looks like you got a lot of power
you should try landing & taking off in the same direction, facing the wind, specially when it's blowing....

On another line... my flying buddy just called me a while ago, we were trying to figure out what kind of power setup shoud he buy for his new plane: A 17 oz corsair foamie..Any suggestions?

I was clueless...
Thanks for the imput.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:00 AM
tomdiebomb

Thanks RCBarta, true about the landing hehe, that crosswind was heavy...

I would try a Turnigy 35-36C (Gold Series)or SK 35-42
[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7125]35-42 SK[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3886]35-36C[/link]

Turnigy Sentry 60A ESC(here the 40A but I got the 60A for safe measure)
[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3729]Turnigy 40A ESC[/link]

30C 3000Mah batts from HC
[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9497]30C 3000Mah[/link]
Less than a hundred dollars with shipping probably and smokes...

Be sure to have them ship it express unless you want to wait a month for your order.

That is the cheap and awesome alternative. Others can probably recommend more expensive set ups, but this one will not disappoint. You can see these set ups on Youtube if you do a search for Turnigy 35-36C for example.
//Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.