Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

PZ Spitfire BL Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:03 PM
AETCBoom4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PZ Spitfire BL Conversion

I'm converting my PZ Sitfire to BL and looking for advice. I'll be using the stock electronics and was wondering if anyone else has. The new zx-10 radio setup has a throttle port on the rx. The rx has a 3 wire setup that matches any ESC.

How did you wire it up using the stock RX(battery leads off of ESC)?
Can this be done?
I have used the PZ module to convert the PZ P51 but was wondering if I need it for this?

Thanks for the help
Old 04-23-2007, 11:37 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: PZ Spitfire BL Conversion

mine flys great stock, long flights get the eflite p-47 and put a outrunner in that
Old 04-24-2007, 12:00 AM
AETCBoom4

Yeah I just maidened her yesterday but it is way to underpowered for me. I like extra power to get me out of a jam. I like to fly a warbird fast for safety. This definately is PZ's best of 3 (P51,FW-190,etc). She almost flies like a trainer.

PZ says that this is a standard rx, so I'm hoping she will accept a BL ESC w/out use of a PZ module.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:25 AM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

its the best! they should redo the p-51 in theis sturdy fashion. You can program for lipos off the Tx no jumpers. it flew impressive no ill try my 11.1v 2100mah lipo and see
Old 04-30-2007, 04:01 PM
johnpcunningham

I changed over my P51 to a brushless in-runner and left my Spitfire stock. Now the Spitfire drives me crazy cause of the lack of power

Anyway, I designed my own EZ-ESC brushless convertor and I sell them on EBAY for about 10 bucks. You can still use your stock radio with XPORT. The link is here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5735217/tm.htm

JC
Old 06-06-2007, 06:46 PM
heartofmadnes

I set up a 4300kv in my spits flown about 10 times or more with it 2100 lipo. Unbelievable plane now
Old 06-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Beaufighter

Hi guy's. I've just finished converting mine to BL today. I have gone for the E-Flight Park 450 and set it up direct drive with a 11x7 prop, and E-Pro 25A ESC ( all on the advice of my LHS ). I'm sticking with the stock 10.8V Nimh batteries and stock radio gear - mainly for cost reasons. I haven't flown her yet, but there does seem to be a big increase in thrust! No problems with connecting the ESC to the stock RX, just plug it in and away she went!

I'm having a problem with the ESC though. It won't enter the set-up programing mode. The ESC is factory set for Lipo's, so I'll need to remedy this before flying her. Anyone have any idea's what the problem could be? I've followed the instructions over and over, but it doesn't want to play.

Cheers

Beau.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:54 PM
johnpcunningham

You need to plug in the brushless ESC after you power on the RX.

Since the original RX has a throttle saftey where it will not let the prop spin when first powered up and if the TX is showing non-zero throttle, this is what is preventing you from programming your ECS.
Do this instead:

1) Disconnect the ECS from the RX
2) Plug the battery into the RX
3) Set up your TX-controller and follow the instructions with your ESC - typically full throttle to start programming.
4) Plug in your 3-wire ESC into the RX
5) Start programming
6) Complete programming and remove power

Also, I have a DX6 and I often use this to program the ESC prior to installation into the Hobbyzone/Parkzone planes. Both ways will work

Good Luck,

JC
Old 06-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Beaufighter

Hi John, thanks for the info - I'll try this later and let you know!

Cheers,

Beau!
Old 06-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Beaufighter

Hi JC - thanks for the tip - it worked fine this time! Hoping to get her airbourne this evening - I'll let you guy's know how she flies!
Old 06-15-2007, 09:05 AM
schatztf

ORIGINAL: johnpcunningham

Since the original RX has a throttle saftey where it will not let the prop spin when first powered up and if the TX is showing non-zero throttle, this is what is preventing you from programming your ECS.
Do this instead:

3) Set up your TX-controller and follow the instructions with your ESC - typically full throttle to start programming.
5) Start programming

Also, I have a DX6 and I often use this to program the ESC prior to installation into the Hobbyzone/Parkzone planes. Both ways will work

Good Luck,

JC
I am having the same problem, I cannot enter the programming mode on my ESC. Instead of using the stock RX, I am using a AR6000 and a DX6 TX. I have the Eflite 25amp brushless ESC.

According to my manual I should power on the TX, move it to full throttle, than connect the power to the esc which is already connected to the RX. After that I should hear a series of tones which I don't.

Any ideas?

Thanks!@

Terry
Old 06-15-2007, 09:08 AM
schatztf

Also, I am using a DN 3 cell 11.1v 2100 and a Ammo 28-45-2700. The default setting on the ESC is the following, would this work?:

• 3S (9V) auto cut-off for Li-Po
• Brake Off
• 4 pole and greater timing (outrunner or 6-pole motors)
• Throttle input range set to Auto Select mode (1.2ms-1.8ms)
Old 06-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Beaufighter

ORIGINAL: schatztf

ORIGINAL: johnpcunningham

Do this instead:

5) Start programming

Good Luck,

JC
I am having the same problem, I cannot enter the programming mode on my ESC. Instead of using the stock RX, I am using a AR6000 and a DX6 TX. I have the Eflite 25amp brushless ESC.

According to my manual I should power on the TX, move it to full throttle, than connect the power to the esc which is already connected to the RX. After that I should hear a series of tones which I don't.

Any ideas?

Thanks!@

Terry
Hi Schatztf, the only thing I did differently is connect a seperate battery to the RX before connecting the ESC to it. With the stock ZX10 RX that I'm using - it has a safe start mode that will not power the throttle if it detects that the stick is not at minimum setting when powered up. By connecting a seperate battery to the RX before setting throttle to max, the RX will arm the throttle channel before you connect the ESC. I'm not sure whether your RX has this feature, but it worked for mine!

The spit got her post-upgrade maiden last night, and flew like a different plane! Lots more power than the stock setup, though I was surprised at how nose heavy she needed to be to fly well. I initially set the CG to that stated in the PZ manual by sitting the battery further back in the fuse, but she just wanted to fly almost vertically! moved the battery back to the original position - and she flies like a dream - although the CG is now approx 57mm from the leading edge - not 67mm - 70mm as stated in the manual. I have read that the spit flies better a little nose heavy, but wasn't expecting quite that much!

One other problem I'm having is that the motor doesn't start up until just under half throttle on my TX, and seems to reach full power with the slider just short of full. Is there anything I can do about this, or is it just the fact that it's not the best quality TX/RX setup in the world, and therefore less accurate? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guy's

Beau.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:44 AM
robertdownes25

Message for John P Cunningham. Want to buy one of your ESC brushless converters. You still selling them? Could you let me know. I have also emailed your g mail account asking the same?
Thanks
RD
Old 07-17-2007, 12:37 AM
johnpcunningham

Shipped on on its way. Enjoy.

JC