Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

ULTIMATE COST EFFECTIVE WINDY WEATHER MODIFIED ACCIPITER BADIUS POWERED GLIDER

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 04:02 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ULTIMATE COST EFFECTIVE WINDY WEATHER MODIFIED ACCIPITER BADIUS POWERED GLIDER

While developing a new modeling promoting web page featuring R/C and C/L airplanes I was struck by the possibility that my new lightened Badius (removed well over an ounce of "dead wood" from behind the C.G.) just might fly well in the wind by simply using my big 1200mAh battery that puts the center of gravity approximately one fourth (1/4) inch ahead of the recommended balance point on my new aft lightened plane. The stock battery allows my new plane to balance very close to the recommended C.G. point.

To minimize trim changes when switching between light and heavy batteries it is very practical to position the lightest battery as far forward as possible and to position the heavier battery as far back as possible. Very little movement of the transmitter trim adjustment is needed for proper trim.

My original "somewhat war weary Badius"
will be given the same treatment. I never really liked the idea of adding, ugh, weight to simply make an airplane heavier, and I really hate the idea of a poorer power to weight ratio, not to mention the greater impact forces in the event of "less than perfect flying" technique in unpredictable turbulent air conditions.

What I love now is the kind of confidence building maneuvering control that is possible to enjoy with the modifications discussed in my previous posts plus this latest modification. One possibly important modification not used on my original plane that is incorporated into the new one is the use of one sixteenth (1/16) inch carbon fiber push rods. I really don't like the stress put on the servos by those heavy stock steel pushrods in a crash.

No new expensive motors, dangerous batteries or unusual equipment is needed to now thoroughly enjoy windy weather Accipiter Badius flying.

Except for the control deflection angles that would have been set for minimum deflection, my new Badius is now set up exactly the way I would have set it up had I known in the beginning of my "R/C flying career" what I know now.

As flying experience has been gained, stability via "ironed in" wing washout has been reduced to improve maneuverability with my original Badius. Although rolls, spins, and loops are relatively easy, recognizable "Split S and Immelmanns" are a lot more difficult for me to perform. I am still working on performing sustainable inverted flight and have reduced wing washout to zero in order accomplish this final goal for flying demonstration purposes.

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 07-02-2007, 05:51 PM
mad web tv scientist

Default RE: ULTIMATE COST EFFECTIVE WINDY WEATHER MODIFIED ACCIPITER BADIUS POWERED GLIDER

The above is an example of one of my posts that can't be edited. I hope RCU can straighten these kinds of problems out.

__________________________________________________ ___________

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric modeling is obsolete.

When it becomes possible to objectively discuss what really motivates contemporary modelers I will be back in the business of providing "free advertising" for RCUniverse.

The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates. Parallel opinion - The unexamined (superficial) esoteric hobby is not worth advertising.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:19 PM
mad web tv scientist

Default RE: ULTIMATE COST EFFECTIVE WINDY WEATHER MODIFIED ACCIPITER BADIUS POWERED GLIDER

[] Still can't edit my original post. The recommended balance point for the AB is 8 7/8 inches behind the tip of the prop spinner. Sorry I left that number off.