Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

POOR MAN'S BALLPARK ALTIMETER

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 06:37 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POOR MAN'S BALLPARK ALTIMETER

POOR MAN'S BALLPARK ALTIMETER

Like so many modelers I began to wonder about the altitude at which I enjoyed flying. There are some interesting systems commercially available and I may buy one or more of them at some point in the future.

After visiting the Redwood National Park and again noticing the "perception anomalies of altitude judgment" when trying to grasp the concept of the height of the big trees that we drove through the center of that towered over a "football field" high, the idea for my simple "altimeter" struck me.

As soon as I got home, while still visiting with intrepid vacationing family members, I bent 14 gage wire into a "triangle shape." The triangle has two 4 inch sides and a 1/2" side. I then went outside and paced off a little over 33 steps to a distant object. Then I went back to the starting point and bent an "L" shape from the "pointy" end of the triangle I had just created and found that 14.25 inches of length from the 1/2 inch "triangle" top provided the precise angular size of the wings on my airplanes at the 100 foot distance I had just paced off.

The 1/2 inch distance "measures" the wing span of my planes at 100 feet. When flying directly overhead at 100 feet the wing span has the same angular distance as the 1/2 inch distance on the triangle.

A blunt "bent in loop" on the end of the wire that contacts the face to keep the triangle 14 inches from the "sighting eye" provides safety when looking through the triangle. A 1/4 inch length is the mark for 200 feet, and 1/8 inch marks the 400 foot altitude indicator. I used 20 gage copper wire wrapped around the 14 gage frame. Needless to say, this simple device is really only useful for "ballpark" accuracy. At this point in my Park Flyer career ballpark accuracy is good enough.

I wear my altitude measuring device like a necklace with string tied to the loop in the end. I also found it necessary to tuck it in my shirt so it won't swing around and get in the way during a launch.

madwebtvscientist[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

__________________________________________________ ___

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. When it becomes possible to objectively discuss what really motivates contemporary modelers I will be back in the business of providing "free advertising" for RCUniverse.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Mr. Mugen

Default RE: POOR MAN'S BALLPARK ALTIMETER

cool idea
Old 06-16-2007, 07:20 PM
mad web tv scientist

Thank You. You have a very entertaining Sig.. You might have noticed that mine is a fake. I am working on a real one.

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevance. When it becomes possible to objectively discuss what really motivates contemporary modelers I will be back in the business of providing "free advertising" for RCUniverse.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:55 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Good Idea Rich. Then if you make some visible notches you can check approx alititude to higher altitudes. So if I understand your concept, you hung a plane 100 feet away and measured the visible wingspan. You then used that number to make a gauge so that you could both have a control and could then make predictions based on the model, yes? For a second mark did you hang the plane at 200' and measure and mark? Rich, if you can refine this gizmo it would be marketable. See about getting a bit of clear plexi, and calibrating it. I'm sure you could find a constant in your research. Do one for an ace, then do one for a badius, and then do one for a third plane. The average between the three planes should give you the constant number you are looking for, and make a viewfinder style altimeter functional.

I do wish you would stop attacking the Badius club though, we have no "cultural relevancy" other than we like to support rc planes. And those who fly them.

Tim
Old 06-16-2007, 09:16 PM
mad web tv scientist

Thanks Tim, You got the altimeter all figured out. It is so simple even a caveman can make one. By the way I love the Badius Club. Please read my final post on the original thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...82/key_/tm.htm very closely. I hope the Club returns to the kind of fun we were able to enjoy for so long. I believe it will happen again. Planes are more fun than "egos."

I just ordered my third (3rd) Badius yesterday. Modeling is getting a lot of good advertising. I plan to keep on doing my part.

06/27/07 If my newest Badius that I have just finished modifying and trimming out flies like I expect it will; I plan to provide a lot of advertising not only for the thread(s) that does such a good job helping beginning modelers, but for RCUniverse as well - there could be a delay here - please see statement at end.

RCU is providing a priceless service for modeling and I believe it deserves any "free advertising" we might be able to effectively provide even if some "modelers" (?) continue to condemn me (in a very uncivil manner) for defending my modeling promoting practices.

Thanks again,

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric modeling is obsolete.

When it becomes possible to objectively discuss what really motivates contemporary modelers I will be back in the business of providing "free advertising" for RCUniverse.

The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates. Parallel opinion - The unexamined (superficial) esoteric hobby is not worth advertising.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Geurin
My Feedback: (1)

Could you post some pictures?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Karyn

This will only give the altitude when the plane is directly overhead. It actually gives the distance from you to the plane, not its altitude.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:38 PM
critterhunter

Or, you can buy a cheap watch at Walmart that has an altitude function on it and stick that in the plane.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:10 PM
mad web tv scientist

Geurin, Yes, I plan to include a picture of the altimeter/rangefinder (I almost included the word rangefinder in the title of the post but thought "ballpark" would be more fun) on my upcoming web site entitled "CALL TO GLORY." I haven't figured out how to put pictures on RCU yet with my msntv 2 web tv system. In the meantime, FERNDALE AIR FORCE might be able to help us out here if we ask him real nice. He has the principles of the system all figured out and knows how to put pictures on RCU.

madwebscientist[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. When it becomes possible to objectively discuss what really motivates contemporary modelers I will be back in the business of providing "free advertising" for RCUniverse.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:43 PM
mad web tv scientist

Karyn, you are precisely, absolutely correct! And not only that but in order to get anything resembling reasonable accuracy on how high your plane is, conditions need to be favorable.

Flying with my right hand and holding the "altimeter" steady enough while trying to fly directly overhead in turbulent conditions ain't easy. That is the main reason I call it my "ballpark altimeter." Adjustng for my altitude here in Salem, Oregon my real preferred flying altitude is around 300 feet. In milder conditions I expect to be able to enjoy soaring above 400 feet.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:38 PM
mad web tv scientist

critterhunter, Actually, the commercially available "altimeters" for models seem both quite accurate and, most importantly, LIGHT. I just needed a "little" help so that I could feel a little more confidence in the accuracy of my thinking about my R/C flying adventures. It was obvious in my recent trip to the Redwoods that I could use some "altitude observational training."

Your humorously stated signature is a scary reality that I am trying really hard not to fulfill! So far I have been very lucky!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:58 AM
schuh007

where abouts in Salem are you, I live in utah, but all my family is in Salem or Eugene and I go out there all the time, you might of spotted my styker out at Shirley Elementary school a couple weeks ago., sometimes Sprauge HS
Old 06-19-2007, 11:56 PM
mad web tv scientist

schuh007, Hey, great! I fly mostly at the large soccer fields area down State Street just east of Cordon Rd. If the soccer fields get a little too crowded my second choice is just east of the "Pen," north off State Street that has two soccer fields and some baseball fields.

If push comes to shove I can fly at Holland Park but there are some really scary huge airplane eating trees surrounding that particular "crash site."

So, next time you are in town please send me an e-mail or write a post and I will meet you at a field with a couple of planes. It would really be a treat to see a talented flyer put one of those wild machines like what you mentioned through its paces.

Sorry I missed your flying performance, I did find a broken prop on my "Pen" site but so far Park Flyers have been real scarce in my sky.

madwebtvscentist[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 06-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Karyn

ORIGINAL: Geurin

Could you post some pictures?
Very simply Geurin, somthing 100 times further away will appear to be 100 times smaller... So a model with a 100" wingspan 100 feet away will appear the same size as a 1" wide marker held just 1 foot away. How you make your marker and how you hold it is up to you.

It's just a matter of scale. You must remember though that this will only give the distance between you and the model. To get height you also need to know the angle that you're looking up...
Old 06-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Flyer 1

I've found that a Bushnell Laser Rangerfinder for deer hunting does admirable service as a quickie altimeter, although it, too, must measer the plane from directly overhead (and it's better if you have someone else do it, 'cause if you aren't careful and the sun enters the viewfinder you're gonna fry your retina, maybe permanently). [8D]
Flyer
Old 06-22-2007, 03:35 PM
mad web tv scientist

Geurin, Last time I went out to fly I made a fortunate mistake. I left my "ballpark altimeter" home. It turns out that by fully extending my left hand and observing my little finger fingernail that it nicely provides a rough angler distance reference for my plane at 300 feet. Using my thumbnail provides an adequate reference for 150 feet.

After I got home I made up a little "ballpark altimeter ring" that has a reference mark for 400 feet. I now feel reasonably confident about discussing the approximate altitude of my model flying adventures.

I am embarrassed that it took so long for me to figure such simple stuff out. Just for fun of it, I will still include pictures of my "inventions" on my upcoming newest web site.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:31 PM
mad web tv scientist

Flyer 1, Your "altimeter system" is the winner!

Because of my obsession with weight, when I finally yield to the temptation in my need to know accurate airplane distance straight over my head, I will be heeding your ideas when flying with friends. Coincidentally, the modeling enjoying elder of the Beaverton Church of Christ mentioned on page 185 (as of 06/28/07) of the original Badius thread, post 3641 (deleted for suggesting a power greater than ourselves as a motivating princiiple for modeling), said that he thought his motorized gliders could be flown up to 700 foot altitude. He said that at that height he had no perception of pitch and could not stay there long. He also said he was bad about folding his wings. He is really a fun guy. I flew control-line aerobatics with him years ago, and I am looking forward to flying some R/C with him in the future.

__________________________________________________ _______

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric, "better felt than told modeling" is obsolete.

When it becomes possible to objectively discuss what really motivates contemporary modelers I will be back in the business of providing "free advertising" for RCUniverse.

The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates. Parallel opinion - The unexamined (superficial) esoteric hobby is not worth advertising.