Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Australian bbq and beers

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:56 AM
machette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Australian bbq and beers

I do realise that Oz, I reckon she would be an easy fly....but I want to learn some more control...not more of the same
Old 12-25-2007, 02:49 AM
inflex

Merry Christmas everyone.

Back now from my parents property (for lunch)... watched "Wild Hogs" on their big-screen LCD setup (very nice, good laugh too).

My BIL got a PS3 for Christmas, though apparently he got it about 6 weeks ago and they've been hiding it from me - because they didn't want me to realise that they were giving me his old PS2 *laugh*

So anyhow, I got a PS2 this morning, which is great, I have no qualms about it being a 'hand me down'

Oh, also got a vacuum flask to keep my coffee hot for those days I take coffee too the flying fields.

Paul
Old 12-25-2007, 06:02 AM
The_Mongrel

Machette,

I had a few reasons to cry today ( my mum being ill and all), but you sent me on my way again with your kind words. You truly are one of good ilk.

My best wishes to you and yours - doing those bikes is a noble thing that you should be proud of.

Best wishes to all!!!
Old 12-25-2007, 03:04 PM
machette

You'd be wrong about the bikes Mong, I was catchin' up ......these guys have been sneaking around all year organising this....I'm just a johnny come lately in the deal........was embarrassing really when I realised how hard they'd worked.

And I just want to stick it on the record......that when I come here in the early morning with my brain out of gear the last thing I need is a
ADODB.Command error '800a0d5d'
>
> Application uses a value of the wrong type for the current operation.
>
> /forum/postpro.asp, line 237

I know I need to use the reply tag but I always manage to loose the first post to the gremlins

And it ****s me!!

.......enough said
Old 12-25-2007, 09:16 PM
BERTRC

Hey All
Hope you had a good Christmas day
I was knackered by the time we got home at midnight after travelling all over the place visiting the various relatives.
Been pretty windy here, but there was a lull in the howling hot easterly's so I went down to the local park for a fly. Never flown there before but there is plenty of room.
Anyhow I have retired the Formosa copy as I was a little seedy and went through a full set of pre flight checks only to take off with the TX aerial down !
Lucky I have a spare that was given to me, I can swap all the running gear into it to hack about until the Gemini is finished.

Seeya soon

Bert
Old 12-26-2007, 01:19 AM
ozrcboy

Well guys I managed to get some flying in this morning.

Had a close call with the Tucano - she lost her right aileron servo in flight (at a deflected angle) making her try and roll continous to the right unless I applied very strong opposite aileron (at which point they were both like air brakes). Anyway, I got her down (reasonably well) which was a bit lucky.

My new 4s proved to be too much for the poor long suffering motor in the Elebee - nuked - when she landed the motor was scorching hot - I burnt my fingers checking the temperature on it... [:@]

Had a good fly with some other planes..., shame about the motor on the elebee though.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:48 AM
The_Mongrel

Hey all - I hope everyone is well. SHAME I AM NOT!

We have had probably the best day to fly here in AGES - and me with my new radio - and I am running a fever of 39.5 (as I type this). I got crook in Sydney yesterday and have had fever since yesterday lunch time.

It is really sad to sit here and look outside at a cloudless sky with very little wind, and feel more like cutting your head off rather than looking skyward.

Maybe tomorrow will be a better day!

OZ - we need to fly during the break for sure!!

Cheers
-J
Old 12-26-2007, 04:11 AM
Woodsy

Ok, guy need some help. i droped and lost the little screw that holds the servo arm on . Does any one know where i can get a realy small screw (ok no young blong jokes .

Also asked a few pages back about Blue Arrow, does any one have any experiance with there models/electrics?
Old 12-26-2007, 04:19 PM
The_Mongrel

Woodsy...

The quickest way for you to get back in the air is to buy a new servo. A screw that comes with it will fit. Other than that... if you are not in a hurry, I have a few servos that are ****E and I can send you the screws from them.

Cheers
-J
Old 12-26-2007, 04:21 PM
The_Mongrel

OK guys... Lets do a POLL....

1) - How many here use EXP?

2) - What are your settings on both low and high rates?

I will start...

I use EXP
At the moment I use +35 on low and +50 on high. I don't know if I am happy as yet... hence my poll.

PS: I am feeling a bit better today! Still a bit achy in the joints.

Cheers
-J
Old 12-26-2007, 04:52 PM
ozrcboy

Woodsy,

Like John I can send you some screws in an envelope if that will help you out - no worries - but I don't know where you would buy them.

I know nothing about blue arrow stuff sorry.

Mongrel,

The poll - yes I use expo. It varies a bit between aircraft, but typically between 20-30% in low or high rates. It might seem strange that I think its great when I dial in so little of it, but I find this level gives me a really natural feeling for the aircraft while also making it still feel linear for most of the stick throw.

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Woodsy

Thanks guys, a new screw would be great , i've stolen a screw from another servo to keep the plane in the air but now i'm short for my next build.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:02 AM
machette

Pinchin' a screw from somewhere can be a short term fix Woodsy....but I've found it can come back and bite you on the arse [] .....and you've surely had enough of that lately.

Well obviously someone was listening when we discussed what everyone wanted for xmas .......daughter gave me two 3S 2200mAh 23C hyperion Lipos (with deans) while my wife gave me a hat

We crashed the minimag again .....or should I say as usual ....tis only a flesh wound though (see pic)
I cartwheeled the MUS pretty badly on one of her landings and stretched the covering of the port wing and left her with some bad ripples....I'll have a go with some heat but I think I may be doing my first wing covering job shortly.
Was a great day yesterday and mild enough to fly all day......plenty of OnBoard videos .......but I did learn the quality of the handy cam work goes down exponentially with the bourbon [] .......to the point of actual crap in my daughters case.

Better go tidy up the rest of the sausage rolls
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55927.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	834840   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44238.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	834841  
Old 12-27-2007, 01:12 AM
machette

ORIGINAL: Woodsy

Thanks guys, a new screw would be great , i've stolen a screw from another servo to keep the plane in the air but now i'm short for my next build.
they seem to have different size screws in different servos.....HiTec seem to be bigger than other brands in the same size minis. On the hitec servos I haven't put any screws in them from the start and they push on so far I doubt they'll come off in this easy fly stuff I have (no pressure there) ......only the HiTec servos seem to have this long shank and tight spline and don't really need a screw. Glue it on when you're sure it's straight if you like.
But having said that...... I'll just go and repair these broken planes
Old 12-27-2007, 03:22 AM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: machette

We crashed the minimag again .....or should I say as usual ....tis only a flesh wound though
HOLY CRAP MACHETTE - That thing looks worse than my mother in law - and let me tell you, she looks like the arse end of a cranky dragon! [X(]
Old 12-27-2007, 03:32 AM
The_Mongrel

I got to fly today! YIPPEEEEEE!!

NOW LISTEN UP PEOPLES.... if you are sitting around with some cash to burn and you are looking for that one last excuse to go and buy a DX7. DO IT!!! I got to fly with my TX today and all I can say is YES YES YES YES YES YES YES oh...and... YES!!!

I flew my Cessna and P51D at my brother in law's place, and the controls were smooth and GLITCH FRIGGIN FREE!! Not one. I flew an entire battery in each plane without one single glitch!

The plane seemed to respond better too - but then maybe that was in my head.

Anyway... It has my vote. I am running the DX7 and the 6100RX in both my Cessna and my P51D.

OH YEAH... and the best single inclusion with DX7 is a Count Down Timer. Set it to a time - Say 10 minutes - and it will count down and alarm when it reaches zero. That is worth it alone I reckon!

Cheers
-J
Old 12-27-2007, 05:04 AM
BERTRC

ORIGINAL: machette
We crashed the minimag again .....or should I say as usual ....tis only a flesh wound though (see pic)

Winning understatement of the year for 2007 "it's seen better days"

Not that my Formosa copy was looking any better, especially now it's in the bin.

Bert
Old 12-27-2007, 05:05 AM
ozrcboy

Hi John,

Not sure if you are back yet, but if you are, we will be at Kambah at 8am provided weather is okay.

Cheers,
oz.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:43 AM
tam popo

Machette, guys - I feel better already after seeing Machette's MM, my planes are a work of bloody art compared to that "thing"!!!
New Years Revolutions: I will fly regardless of weather, I will wait till the rain stops. I will go out regardless of wind strength, if I have to repair said planes then so be it. Only spend 1 hour per day on I-net (uless shopping!!!) and spend 3 hours per day repairing/improving/building. be ready to fly at a moments notice and always carry a plane and batteries in car (safely). Right off to do some shopping on I-Net, its the Sales!!!! Yipeee.......
Old 12-27-2007, 07:02 AM
The_Mongrel

Hey Oz,

If you are talking about tomorrow morning - NO CAN DO! Sorry mate. But yes I am back. It is windy here at the minute, so I hope it goes well for you in morning. Good luck mate.

OK - My report on todays flying.

1 Broken Motor Mount - Cessna
3 Bent Motor Shafts - P51D

all this happened on landings!! The Cessna was just one of those... "oops I messed that up" episodes, but the frigging P51 keeps bending the shaft even when I set her down nicely!! How the hell do I stop that from happening when she has NO LANDING GEAR! GRRRR.

My Cessna is in a bad way. I drove her pretty much into a rock at approach speed. The bird itself is OK, but the motor mount is shot - and I bent the shaft! [:@][:@] I have straightened them the best I could - but time will tell.

The DX7 is great! I even had enough balls to throw the P51D up out the back where it is as glitchy as hell - and you know what - no glitch! AHAHAHAHAHAH Way cool! Now I do not need to go anywhere to fly... can do it in my own backyard!

Cheers
-J
Old 12-27-2007, 07:25 AM
tam popo

JohnM - two words - Folding Prop!!!! Or a shorter shaft and collet-type adapter, solved my problems......
Old 12-27-2007, 07:25 AM
The_Mongrel

Hey Boys,

On the topic of my warbird bending shafts... what do you guys think about this... Would that solve my problem??

https://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/ser...RTN=1335.23.12

Cheers
-J
Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 AM
The_Mongrel

Hey Tam,

I was thinking folding prop... Are they any good. I would have thought that because they are not rigid, you would not get the same amount of thrust?? Am I being an idiot???
Old 12-27-2007, 09:37 AM
petercrawf

Test
Old 12-27-2007, 10:20 AM
tam popo

JohnM - My folding prop was bought for the brushed 370/gbox on the SS and is about 9 x 5. It stopped breakages but then I changed to brushless and the prop was Ok. There didn't seem quite the normal power of a b/les set-up but I would need equipment to measure that properly. It works for me, and the blades can be replaced - they hinge to the adapter easily. Tough little buggers and at £4 its paid or itself already. Hope this helps....
If you need me to translate the German give us a ring and I'll goosestep over.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.