Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER -Way Past the Limits Part 6 -Go deeper in to the Dark Side...

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER -Way Past the Limits Part 6 -Go deeper in to the Dark Side...

Old 07-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Gryphon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER -Way Past the Limits Part 6 -Go deeper in to the Dark Side...

It looks like the votes are in and most people do want to know what they are getting.

I am fairly certain that most people are not here to build up a Stryker because the Stryker is a fast and slick airframe.

They are here because this plane is nice looking, it is fun to build, it is fun to fly, it is easy to repair, it is cheap to repair, parts are readily available, their friends have it, It has a huge following, they have extra good support and documentation on this bird, this bird lends itself to many different possibilities such as DUCT fan, Floats, skies, landing gear, retracts, twin, quad servos....it is a great test bed. Tri motor anyone??? push and pull motors?? I've done my fair share of combat.

*** Greatest Stryker EVER will be VTOL…..if someone can build it. I would say/guess that is the only subject not suited for this thread.

I will keep the waters from getting muddy, it needs to stay clear.

*** How many posts and new/short threads have we read that go like this: I just bought an F-27C and it does not feel like it is going 80MPH. ?????
Well hundreds and hundreds of people were lied to by false advertising. They got away with it because their lawyers added a key word here and there. " It can achieve speeds up to 80MPH" I believed it. I am a very skeptical and analytic person, and I believed it...I was made a sucker...Thank god I didn't buy one because that was roughly right after I switched over to MEGA 16/25/3 1700KV thanks to ALL MIGHTY LORD" GLACIER GIRL".
I was propped with APC E 7X5 30-31A static with 2100-3S 15C and radared at 72MPH, and I kept thinking: man I spent this money and this F-27C factory built plane is flying at 80MPH...DAMN....But the truth came out before long.
Post after post started to say something is wrong and we are not going that fast, then the sad radar readings started to come out.

****Sad only because it is not what people thought they were getting. I'm not saying low to mid 60's is not fast or not fun. I'm just saying that people read the box or a forum and thought they were getting 80 MPH plane, only to see that it was off by 20%.

How did all those people feel? Not good, even mad. Their planes were fast but it is not what they thought they were getting.

I guess it is analogy time to stay on the same page as earlier posts:
You pay for a 27" TV, you use it and you like the picture although you think it looks a little smaller than you expected. You got a good deal on it, and then one day someone comes over with a measuring tape and says that you only got a 22" TV. It still performs nice, but it is not what you thought you were getting, the picture could have been so much better/bigger although you were satisfied mean while. You will feel cheated.
It is about time to get out the measuring tape.

The TV manufacturer may not want the dimensions on the box (High resistance of some/few motors).
Neither will the TV dealer. He might say, didn't I run into you last year and you said how you liked that TV? Get out of my store etc....

So like an Ostrige it may be better if they didn't know, and they had their heads down in a hole.

I read a post saying that the F-27C flew at 100MPH, I posted no way and my best friend had just radared a R/C shop owner at 61MPH, but it may go a couple/few MPH faster. In this case, the guy did say that was in a dive and I believe he said with some tail wind (honest guy).

Again before I muddy the waters too much, back to the subject at hand:
I realize that many people may not care about speed and be happy with what they have, even extra happy, but they should realize that if someone wants to go a certain performance, climbing/speed/both, they need to be recommended a motor that does take care of their needs and if they are not SURE about the performance of the motor that they are recommending they should state it with GREAT clarity, so the point is not missed.

As a customer don't be an Ostrige. Ask questions and make a choice given the needs, options, features, and the disposable income and budget that you have, re-evaluate goals and budget given your findings. If you find a satisfactory choice for less, reduce your budget, Increase the budget if you so feel like it.
Every one of us comes from a different background and way of life, but choices needs to be given after asking several questions.

As seen before I may ask up to 8-10 questions before a recommendation is made.
Speed desired, max amps, number of cells desired, battery charger owned, weight restrictions, parts already owned, budget.I have asked about noise level when I had to recommend one of two motors, climbing, run time (long versus short or indifferent).

I like Thunder Power batteries, but for Rustye was best to go with a different brand battery given his VERY Specific needs.

It takes longer, it takes more effort but best results are going to be obtained here at a greater load to all of us helping here.

Damn, I went overboard again...POST LENGTH WISE.....I wonder who I learned that from......[sm=72_72.gif]

Later,
Gryphon
Old 07-20-2007, 08:40 PM
BubbleGum

Default RE: F27 STRYKER -Way Past the Limits Part 6 -Go deeper in to the Dark Side...

Hi ya'll

Newbie first build flight report:

My set up:

E-Flight Six Series 2000 Kv
E-Flight 40 Amp ESC
HS81MG servos
All other electronics stock Parkzone

First flight: Started porposing right after launch. I had set the link between the servo arms and the horns the same as my stock Stryker. Didn't realize how much the reinforced frame would free up the flaperon movement. I should have measured the throw and not just set the linkages the same as stock. I cut throttle, up elevator and prayed. Luckily just knocked off the nose.

Second flight: Reduced throws and launched. Trim was off. I should have got some altitude before adjusting trim. Instead I tried to adjust immediately after take off. That was a mistake. Bird got glitchy as it was close to the ground and only 100 meters away (darn cheap tx/rx). Belly flopped it. No damage.

Third flight: No troubles. Handled very well. Two nice landings (remember, I got landing gear).

Fourth flight: No troubles. Handled very well. Two nice landings.

That was Thursday. Today (Friday) I went for another flight. Took off beautifully. Then glitched. recovered, then more glitch. Nursed the bird up to 100+ feet and tried to run some patterns. The plane was doing fine, then suddenly did a roll on its own. Major glitch going on. Darn cheap Parkzone tx/rx. There was some guys working on some high tension power lines a half klick away, maybe the glitch came from them? Tried to nurse the bird down to the ground but anding up HARD landing with major damage to the nose.

But.... The body is in great shape! Thanks guys for the reinforcement tips. No damage to the main frame whatsoever. A little gorilla glue on the broken nose and she'll be as good as new.

Side Note: When I glued the nose back on Thursday night, I also gorilla glued the rudders on. This greatly stiffened the rudders. When I crashed this morning (Friday), one of the rudders was knocked off. To my surprise, the rudder just slipped right back on. The gorilla glue had made a tighter channel for the rudder but did not stick to the rudder itself. I think this is a great mod. Use gorilla glue to make a stiffer rudder mount.

~Bub
Old 07-20-2007, 08:45 PM
BubbleGum

Rustye,

I have a question on the wing tips. Do yours toe-in a bit or are they straight to the line of flight? I ask this cause I played around with paper airplane flying wings a few years back. The toe-in was necessary because if the plane yawed, it would bring it back straight.

~Bub
Old 07-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Gryphon

nystagehane,

Thank you, very much.

Read page 7 of this thread and you will see the parts that I use. Total cost can go up fast. More pics a few pages later.

Tell us what you are looking for, and we can give you more than one recommendation from mild to wild, depending on your needs.

Answer as many as you can.
Speed desired,
max amps,
number of cells desired,
battery charger limitations,
weight restrictions,
parts already owned,
budget.
Will you make wooden elevons if need be? A must after 110MPH.
Climbing comments
If some tools are needed such as a charger, is that included in budget or will you add to your budget?
Do you have a balancer?

Other comments?

Look, all the above is not required, but the more you answer the better for you.

Looking forward to your responses.

Gryphon
Old 07-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Gryphon

BubbleGum,

Thanks for the flight report. More pics or video when you can.

***Help me my friends: I am not 100% sure the process of posting video's. I've heard of U-tube, and something else.

What are the steps that we need to go through? Do we sign up first, upload there, then add a link here....?
Please post the detailed steps best you can remember for us to follow.

Results...we will have more video's.

I might be able to use my new cam for some kind of video, just don't know how good a video this digital cam will take. Hey at least I can post a takeoff or a wattemter reading, or radar gun reading. Have not used the video mode yet. I've had it for a few days so far.

Gryphon
Old 07-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Gryphon

nystagehane,

Sorry, I guess I read your post too fast the first time. I was looking at it again just now.

Please re-iterate what you want to do with each plane. What do you need help with?
Please keep things as separate and clear as possible. I guess I had real busy day and I can not concentrate now.

Few months back, I looked at a Hyperion outrunner for a 40 sized glow plane to electric conversion and it looked to be better than just about any combination for that guys needs.
So I do know they can make great motors.

Out runners are usually best for lower speed 3D planes swinging large props at lower RPM.

Heading to the shower.
I'll be back later,

Have fun everyone.
Gryphon
Old 07-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Rustye

BubbleGum, Give me five minutes and I'll run out and snap a pic or to of them for you. Yes, the do "make the turn" to the front, I'll see if I have the name of the wing I bought to make them...

Give me five minutes....

Okay, got them. There is a front shot that shows how they go around the front of the wing about 1/4 inch. They are 4.5 inches high and set back on an angle. In one photo you can see the cut line from the other wing.

Also, they are flush with the bottom of the wing. The final shot shows the airfoil section of the wing they were cut from....I don't have the package for that wing anymore, but I think it was Hobby Zone something or other.

Also, the final pic is of the raised hatch on the back of the twin to hold both ESC's and the reciever and all the additional wiring....

Hope this helps.

BTW - I have found that I cut the stiffener rods out of one of my old wings, and everytime I knock the engine off the single, I use the rods as dowels running in line with the engine and attach it that way. It is way stronger....
r

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77637.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	727234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24435.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	727235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di11198.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	727236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey71384.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	727237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw21354.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	727238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58085.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	727239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20647.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	727240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51310.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	727241  

Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Rustye

I have another question...is anyone else here up in Canada? I posted on the rccanada forum, but only one reply. Judging by the way the F27C boxes dissapear off the store shelves here, there either are a lot of Stryker fliers who don't look at the forums, or a lot of ex-Stryker flyers......

I am north of Toronto, just outside Newmarket...

r
Old 07-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Gryphon

Rustye,

Just wanted to let you know that my comments on F-27C was just an example to make an entirely different point.

I do like the plane; I just didn't like the misleading speed advertisement on it.
But I am generally happy with what Horizon hobby/Park Zone has done on the Stryker. Although little at a time, they made improvements every so often.
One of the latest small improvements that I saw was when picking up my spare fuse.
It was no longer in a bag ¼†too small, the bad was actually slightly bigger than the bag.
For over a year, I was buying countless fuses for myself and my friends, most all of the fuses than I came across had some sort of damage in the corner of the wings, warped wings, bent tabs behind the fins, tears etc.
I had to sort to get the best ones. At times I walked away without buying. If I saw a good batch I would call my friends and see if they wanted one. Answer was usually yes.
Finally they learned their lesson and included a bag ½" bigger than before, I think they had to think hard on that one for a year long.
I thought the local shops how to order and what to say to get much fewer bad ones.

But the last couple from a local hobby store were perfect and in a slightly bigger bag….COOL

I helped a guy from CANADA lately outside of posts, if I find him, I'll let you know.

Later,
Gryphon
Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 PM
nystagehane

Gryphon,

Thanks for your response I really apprcieted the help..

I try to be more clear, I know you are the master of this bird of prey and I am gratefull for you help....

1) I have a F-27B replacement body with both props.
2) I have a Parkzone RX/TX from my typhoon.
3) I have Hextronix 3200mah 20c-30c 11.1v 3 cell lipo.
4) I have a tp bm2408-21t motor (never used) from united hobbies.
5) I have a HXT 2835 (380s) 2700kv Brushless I, from united hobbies.
6) I have a 18a bec - (never used) from united hobbies.
7) I have a tp w30a brushless speed controler on order from united hobbies.
8) I have a smart plus 2cell- 5cell li-poly balance charger from united hobbies.
9) I have two 9 cell nimh batteries 10.8v 1000mah.

I bought those motors from unitehobbies and I have never used them, they were going to be for my challenger before it got lost.

Now I just want to get my stryker up in the air with a good brushless motor with speed controller and servo's.

To answer you questions.

Speed desired = 75 - 100 mph
Max amps = I am not sure, I am still learning, but I would like to use my 18amp or 30amp TP if possible (not necessary)
Number of cells = 3cell lipo and or 9 cell nimh if possible.
Battery charger limitations = None
Weight restrictions = None
Budget = 75 to 200 dollars
climbing comments = 5 to 7 seconds of vertical would be nice more would be better.
I would make wooden elerons, but I want to fly a good version right now, and get into the extreme stuff after I have had some fun.

So that is it, if you could let me know what Motor and mount, Servo's and speed controller to use that would work with my stock parkzone RX/TX, that you think would be best for me that would be awsome.

I'll read more on strengthing the airframe and do those mod's also.

Thanks

NYSTAGEHAND

Old 07-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Gryphon

nystagehane ,

It is 1 a.m., you wouldn't want an answer on motors that I am not familiar with at this time of night.

I'll look at your post tomorrow night,

Going to bed now,

Critter is probably much better suited to help you with the United hobby stuff, honest.

But I will spend a lot of time on it tomorrow.

Real quick, a 30A ESC should be able to get to 80-85 MPH given a decent motor.
Also that 3000+ battery will be great for the speeds that you want and provide you some great run time, more than the average person gets.

With a good motor you should be able to have unlimited vertical not just a few seconds.

In your case, there can be several options.

I know critter did place a post which listed some good servos on it.

Passing out now,
Good night.

Gryphon
Old 07-21-2007, 12:12 AM
critterhunter

Tired and going to bed and in no mood to replay at the moment (But you know I will). Real quick advice to the Typhoon guy...Maybe you answered it but I missed it. Is your RX/radio you intend for the plane capable of 3 wire standard servos or is it the 5 wire Parkzone radio and RX? Big choice here. If it's 5 wire then get HS81MG, HS81, or the 9320MG United Hobbies (a "cheap" but good "clone" of the HS81MG).

Once again I give this advice to Gryphon as it has been passed down to me by GG and Depron jet. Be careful to STRONGLY advise newbies to the dark side to take baby steps. Jumping from ANY other platform that isn't brushless AND a delta wing to the Stryker with a super fast motor on it is asking for big crashes and big danger to people. I can't imagine how many birds I would have wrecked (And I wrecked ALOT as it was) without taking my "baby steps", from a 27B, to a BP21 bird, and then onto the 12T. I would highly suggest to any newbies that meet the above criteria to start with a BP21 setup and work your way up from there. Even with the experience I have the 12T is a HANDFULL to handle and will bite you (or worse, others) real quick if you don't keep a tight leash on it. Even the BP21 on a 7x6 APC SF prop will be a bit much for most, so prop it down to an 8x4 or something for less speed until you grow into the next baby shoe size. Look at it this way, buy a 30 amp ESC and a 20C 2200ma 3 cell HXT pack. Later, when you step up to say a 12T you've only got bout $20 invested total ($10 a piece) so far. Both will mount to the stock mount the same way, so you've lost NOTHING by taking the slow and steady approach...and you might have saved yourself the added expense of more bodies and parts, not to mention human bodies and parts.

Safety first, bragging rights later...

Old 07-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Gryphon

critterhunter,

With one eye still open (going down fast) I remember my brother changing his Typhoon's 3 wire servo's that otherwise looked exactly same as mine to HS81MG, all of them and then needed a minor nose weight for C.G.

Either way, Typhoon comes with 3 wire deal as I think I recall.....His was P-N-P
Old 07-21-2007, 02:25 AM
BubbleGum

Thanks for the response, Rustye. Not only toe-in, but airfoil in as well. BubbleGum like.

First need to get my bird stable in it's stock form. And that may be more of a tx/rx issue then a physical issue.

Sleepy time, fly in the AM when the wind is calm. Hopefully no SoCal Edison working anywhere nearby.

~Bub

Old 07-21-2007, 03:49 AM
maxamus

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

BubbleGum,

Thanks for the flight report. More pics or video when you can.

***Help me my friends: I am not 100% sure the process of posting video's. I've heard of U-tube, and something else.

What are the steps that we need to go through? Do we sign up first, upload there, then add a link here....?
Please post the detailed steps best you can remember for us to follow.

Results...we will have more video's.

I might be able to use my new cam for some kind of video, just don't know how good a video this digital cam will take. Hey at least I can post a takeoff or a wattemter reading, or radar gun reading. Have not used the video mode yet. I've had it for a few days so far.

Gryphon
Hi gryph and all stryker fliers around the globe !!

In answer to your question reference to posting videos there are many video host web sites on the net YOU TUBE, PUTFILE etc etc and many more but what it boils down to is space and compression ie lets look at PUTFILE Video files can be up to 200mb in size. Videos will be converted to flash video (flv) format after upload.Video:FORMATS THAT CAN BE UPLOADED ARE wmv avi mpg mov asf asx mp4 3g2 while this is far more than enough space for the average RC video the out put IE what the viewer sees is also important, i have tried a few host sites and have returned tu putfile to host my videos as i find this offers the best output quality after an upload
this also depends on the quality of you chosen recording equipment weight and size being a important factor myself i use a

5in1 Digital Camcorder

This neat gadget can be used to record on board flight videos from you plane.

Airborne Video

Specs:

Can be used as a DV recorder, digital camera, pen drive, audio recordable pen, and web cam.
Still image capture
Movie clip capture (synchronized audio\video)
Audio Clip capture (wave file)
Removable disk drive for data storage
AVICreate – application to convert movie clips to standard AVI format
DirectShow Driver Support
Real-time video – up to 30fps VGA
Real-time audio
DirectCap – sample DirectShow application
Built-in Li Polymer rechargeable battery
Charging via USB
Memory: 128MB

Weight 23grams
Dimensions: 88 x 24.6 x 15.5 mm (L x W x H)

this offers good quality video and is very lightweight links of where to get hold of one i will post if anybody is interested

putfile is FREE VISIT THE LINK online registration is easy !!
http://www.putfile.com/registration

example video
http://media.putfile.com/F27-STRYKER-OVER-THE-BEACH-

MAXAMUS............

Old 07-21-2007, 03:57 AM
maxamus

HI

Just came across this a sheep in wolfs clothing or a wolf in sheep's clothing either way the similarities are well take a look for your self

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/107116.asp

uhmmmmmmmmm interchangeable parts cheaper uhmmm maybe

would like people to post comments

MAXAMUS.........
Old 07-21-2007, 07:43 AM
maxamus

Hi All

Well i said i was gonna be busy this weekend might have something to do with ER IN DOORS (the good lady wife) away for the weekend hummmmmmm

Anyway lime wood T.E on secured, balsa elevons all done fitted tested removed re fitted tested & hinged just been sanded and coated with HI GRADE SANDING SEALER WHOOOO SOME FUMES THERE
C.F channels filled with RED DEVIL ONETIME FILLER, Air vents removed sanded lightly filled fuse just drying as we speak and in need of some sanding when dry

weight of fuse so far with carbon, motor mount,2x magnets in nose, Te no elevons fitted

232g or 8 oz please let me know what the weight of a bare fuse is ???

MAXAMUS...............

Name:	Ca81570.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	727372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41837.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	727373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60826.jpg
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	727374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25282.jpg
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	727375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68033.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	727376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fv26084.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	727377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw44370.jpg
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	727378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq57786.jpg
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	727379  

Old 07-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: critterhunter

Once again I give this advice to Gryphon as it has been passed down to me by GG and Depron jet. Be careful to STRONGLY advise newbies to the dark side to take baby steps. Jumping from ANY other platform that isn't brushless AND a delta wing to the Stryker with a super fast motor on it is asking for big crashes and big danger to people. I can't imagine how many birds I would have wrecked (And I wrecked ALOT as it was) without taking my "baby steps", from a 27B, to a BP21 bird, and then onto the 12T. I would highly suggest to any newbies that meet the above criteria to start with a BP21 setup and work your way up from there. Even with the experience I have the 12T is a HANDFULL to handle and will bite you (or worse, others) real quick if you don't keep a tight leash on it. Even the BP21 on a 7x6 APC SF prop will be a bit much for most, so prop it down to an 8x4 or something for less speed until you grow into the next baby shoe size. Look at it this way, buy a 30 amp ESC and a 20C 2200ma 3 cell HXT pack. Later, when you step up to say a 12T you've only got bout $20 invested total ($10 a piece) so far. Both will mount to the stock mount the same way, so you've lost NOTHING by taking the slow and steady approach...and you might have saved yourself the added expense of more bodies and parts, not to mention human bodies and parts.

Safety first, bragging rights later...
This might be okay advice for a completely brand new R/C pilot who has never flown anything R/C, but any experienced R/C pilot will not have a problem going directly to brushelss (e.g., F27-C) setup. However, I would not recommend the Stryker as a trainer to anyone w/o any R/C flying experience to begin with. Beginners really need to learn how to effectively use the rudder and the Stryker doesn't teach them that.

I bought an F27-C two weeks ago. I'm having a blast with it and the only crash I've had with it is a broken nose cone as the result of a bad hand launch (my pilot error, this is my first hand launch plank). I don't even consider myself a plank pilot. I'm a heli pilot and the F27-C was a total impulse buy.

If someone is crashing their Stryker every flight or every time they fly they need to spend more time on a trainer and/or more time on the simulator. It's as simple as that.

I can't see recommending anything less than the F27-C platform, of course, that assumes the pilot has the necessary skills to fly it. If not, the pilot shouldn't be flying a Stryker in the first place.

Lastly, for those who don't follow good advice, and there are always a few who insist on doing things the hard way, good setup can go a long way towards making a hot setup easier to fly (e.g., reduced throws, less prop, increased expo, etc.), but why fly a Stryker like a trainer to begin with?

Learn how to fly first, with the right equipment and skip the "baby steps" altogether.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:15 AM
tam popo

Ace Dude, hiya!! There are quite a few newbies flying f27b/c as a first timer - I wouldn't do it or recommend it , like yourself. But it is an easy plane to fly anyway, cos the newbie only has to concentrate on 2 TX controls (throttle and elevons to give up/down, left to right). Don't have to co-ordinate the usual ailerons and tail/ rudder surfaces. The problem arises in my view with the launch - you have to get it right or lose the nose/or worse!! From the box this plane has plenty of lifting surfaces and with an brushed motor it will fly really well compared to other RTF hyped-up birds. It will fly, roll, etc from the box and I don't know many others for that price that will, except the Stryker. So you prang it a few times, hard-in or bad landing (No ones perfect) but dust it down, use the epoxy/tape and you'll fly another day!! But the beaty of it is its cheap to replace the whole shell ($17), there are'nt many planes that cheap. You don't have to join a club, go through 11-point flying test to go solo and wait an hour for your turn to fly. And i've seen qualified club flyers who I wouldn't let near anything that moves. I was a newbie once, and so were we all, but then the "learning curve" kicks in. I fly 7 days a week (retired at 55) and expect to prang once every so often. I own 3 Strykers, Zagi, ME262 edf, Swift, Easystar, Beaver (!!!) and 3d Profile. Just my view - long live the Dark Revolution!!!![>:][>:][:@]
Old 07-21-2007, 08:54 AM
maxamus

TAM, ACE DUDE

I started with a stryker not even an ounce of flying skills, yea my brother and father had glow planes I'd seen them fly but didn't know anything so one day i got the bite and sent away for a stryker, i cant even remember why i chose it but anyway i was like a kid at Christmas when the biggest box in the world arrived some days later. I remember opening the box and just looking through the manual and thinking throws,range check,elevon adjustment [X(] what have i done but to cut a long story short when i got to my field i was shaking like mad with excitement checked this checked that gave it throttle threw it up and away it went well for 20ft anyway hit the dirt and snapped in two just before the air intakes well my world collapsed i thought I've just spent £130 pounds for 5 seconds of fun[:@] that was it on the web looking for repair tips etc etc found a simulator and I'll tell you i put some time in on that but everyone has to start somewhere maybe not the best choice or route to take but the stryker is highly versatile and once you get the hang of it really a pleasure to fly no matter what set up you have and to be honest i wouldn't have it any other way now look at us all now a huge family all sharing the same obsession with this piece of foam

Name:	Jh16818.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	727397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74014.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	727398  
Old 07-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Again, I didn't say it couldn't be done, I'm just saying that starting with a Stryker isn't the best way to learn how to fly and I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Anyone care to mention how well they've adjusted to making coordinated turns using the rudder after flying a plane with a rudder and learning on a wing? The biggest problem I see with plank pilots is that some fail to master the use of the rudder and it limits their long term piloting skills. Maybe I'm old school, but I believe a good pilot is one who has mastered the basics and one who has learned to walk before he can run. If you don't learn how to use the rudder effectively then don't even consider flying an R/C heli. Your mileage may vary.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:04 AM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

critterhunter,

With one eye still open (going down fast) I remember my brother changing his Typhoon's 3 wire servo's that otherwise looked exactly same as mine to HS81MG, all of them and then needed a minor nose weight for C.G.

Either way, Typhoon comes with 3 wire deal as I think I recall.....His was P-N-P
I'm sure your right. I think the Typhoon only comes in "standard" electronics, while the Stryker has both standard and non-standard options. Then again, if that was P-N-P then I wonder if the RTF bird is using 5 wire ones?

By the way, a little clearity to the sleep fog I was in last night. I'm not in anyway trying to be a pain in the backside here on the "baby steps" safety stuff. Come to think of it I've forgot to follow that advice when informing others more than once, not on purposes but just because I seem to forget the first question that should be asked when dishing out that advice..."Have you ever flown a brushless plane?" If the answer is yes then the second question should be "Have you ever flown a delta wing?" If they can't answer yes to both those questions then the best advice would be to start out with a BP21 propped down to an 8x4 APC E, or some other equiv. motor that will limit the speed and performance. Even the 27C shouldn't be considered a good plane to get your feet wet on in deltas and brushless.

Onto another subject: In view of the recent discussion on price versus performance, here's a thread about cheaper motors that appear to be just as efficient and underrated spec wise as the Megas. In fact, the topic of the thread is asking that very question "Cheaper Alternatives To Megas". I'd also like to point out that price is NOT everything these days. I believe somebody (sleep fog again) said that if you want a quality motor that is very efficient then you have to spend the money (Megas, etc). I could not disagree more. There are numerous examples with independent user group testing of motors costing about 1/5th the price of the brand names which offer as good if not better performance in their class range. What, besides the link I just posted, is out there then? Give me time...I'm hacking together a chart to compare a bunch of motors. While I haven't found anything specific yet on my own, I'd be willing to bet big money that there are a few these days that will give a few people the look of "I paid too much" when they start reading some specs and user testing.

Here's a start...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716368
Old 07-21-2007, 10:09 AM
tam popo

Hiya Max, my man!! Winds a problem again I see. If that stryker of yours was a dog I'd have it put down!![] Stripped my dog and cannibalised it for new one.[:'(]
Ace Dude - wot or why do you refer to planes as planks. At least when we crash they don't beat themselves to death with rotor blades Flight is the name of the game, each to their own, nitro or leccy, who cares as long as it flys. I gave up competing in life (except with myself!!!). My LHS owner Billie (remember Billie, Max!!) makes his money out of repairing rc cars and heli's, cos the owners don't have the knowledge, tools or they frequently crash.[]
Old 07-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

ORIGINAL: tam popo

Ace Dude - wot or why do you refer to planes as planks. At least when we crash they don't beat themselves to death with rotor blades Flight is the name of the game, each to their own, nitro or leccy, who cares as long as it flys. I gave up competing in life (except with myself!!!). My LHS owner Billie (remember Billie, Max!!) makes his money out of repairing rc cars and heli's, cos the owners don't have the knowledge, tools or they frequently crash.[]
Old 07-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

ORIGINAL: critterhunter

Onto another subject: In view of the recent discussion on price versus performance, here's a thread about cheaper motors that appear to be just as efficient and underrated spec wise as the Megas. In fact, the topic of the thread is asking that very question "Cheaper Alternatives To Megas". I'd also like to point out that price is NOT everything these days. I believe somebody (sleep fog again) said that if you want a quality motor that is very efficient then you have to spend the money (Megas, etc). I could not disagree more. There are numerous examples with independent user group testing of motors costing about 1/5th the price of the brand names which offer as good if not better performance in their class range. What, besides the link I just posted, is out there then? Give me time...I'm hacking together a chart to compare a bunch of motors. While I haven't found anything specific yet on my own, I'd be willing to bet big money that there are a few these days that will give a few people the look of "I paid too much" when they start reading some specs and user testing.

Here's a start...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716368
Buy one good $90 motor or test three $30 motors? I know which one I'd rather have, but that's me. I have yet to see any long term reports on how the inexpensive motors last over the long haul compared to their more expensive counterparts. Also, what about resale value? A name brand motor may have some resale value compared to a no-name motor. My time in the hobby is limited, for me, I'd rather buy something proven rather than spending my time buying and testing a bunch of stuff to find something that works, which I believe costs more in the long run. That's me, YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.