Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER -Way Past the Limits Part 6 -Go deeper in to the Dark Side...

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER -Way Past the Limits Part 6 -Go deeper in to the Dark Side...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Gryphon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER -Way Past the Limits Part 6 -Go deeper in to the Dark Side...

little dirty,

COOOOL video.

It looked like it was under much more control than your first attempt. Practice makes perfect. Good job.

I bet it was easily doing a 100.

Your distance and angle was not very good for a Doppler read. If a Doppler analysis is done, it'll report less than your actual speed due to your distance and angle.

I'll chat with you later,

Gryphon5
Old 04-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Spid

Default RE: F27 STRYKER -Way Past the Limits Part 6 -Go deeper in to the Dark Side...

ORIGINAL: little dirty

Check this out too.
[link]http://youtube.com/watch?v=V9-PgQ4dVjM[/link]

Its my second you tube video . I even edited it!

Its the 16/15/2 mega on 3s with 4.1x4.1 prop!

It must be over a hundred!!! Spid? think you can tell me for sure?

Sorry little dirty. Because of distance away and angle of the plane to the recorder it won't be very accurate and will report slower than what it was actually doing (I believe the term is called the cosine effect but don't hold me to that )

Cool video.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Well the siren she is has called to me again. Yes I'm building another Stryker. This time I hope to behave, as this one is for full contact combat. No silly streamers for us.
Just a couple of the standard beef ups, like the carbon fiber rods in the wing and center of the fuselage, and basswood elevons. Mega 16/15/3 on a gearbox to drive an 8x8 prop.

Oh and here's one to give kudos to. I wasn't in a hurry to get one, so I ordered it from Horizon. Paid the $4.99 or so for regular old mail shipping.

It was on my doorstep the next day. Sent Express Mail, at a cost of $17.60.
Wow that's customer service. But unless the new math is failing me, billing someone $5.00 for something that costs you over $17.00 doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:31 AM
chippedprop

G.G
Ok so let me get this right....you WANT to tear up your Stryker.... on purpose..... Are you Crazy!!! Oh wait -- I know your history.......never mind

Welcome back to the Darkside ..you can't resist
CP
Old 04-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: chippedprop

G.G
Ok so let me get this right....you WANT to tear up your Stryker.... on purpose..... Are you Crazy!!! Oh wait -- I know your history.......never mind

Welcome back to the Darkside ..you can't resist
CP

What????? Me??????
You're right the Dark Side never releases it's bony grip from your soul. As you so well know.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Mr. Mugen

Well I too am building another. This time I plan to shave it down and add 20 cells 10s2p of power. Not sure of the motor yet but working on it. I got the fuse today to start sanding on...any pointers on this are welcome. Any spots to avoid? Spots to hit extra? No-no's? Do's? Anything welcome.

Thanks guru's!
Kevin
Old 04-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Stryker_Viking

NEW MOTORS

As I mentioned in earlier post quite awhile ago, Medusa Research was modifying their motors by adding ventilation to them, the reason was obvious; venting will lower motor temperatures and increase efficiency.
Our friend King Paul called me and pointed out the new web pages and data sheets for the V2-series. Mine is now rated for 500W with venting, 417W without (I made vent holes myself)
Check them out at [link=http://www.medusaproducts.com/motors/028-V2.htm]http://www.medusaproducts.com/motors/028-V2.htm[/link]
Stryker_Viking

Old 04-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Gryphon

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60..._medusa/tm.htm

post #2110
Old 04-03-2008, 04:11 PM
little dirty

stryker viking,

i have a Thunderbird 54, might get phoenix 45.
What medusa should i get for alot of torque.
The 40mm or 56 mm @ lowest kv ?

will use 3s lipos
Old 04-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Gryphon

Well guys,

I tried to use my defective 3S-5000 instead of either one of my (2) new and cycled 3S-5000 batteries during maiden just in case something was to happen.

Co-pilot field calibration was done. Throws were checked. Co-pilot direction of correction was checked. Co-pilot was turned off for launch and that was verified. It was launched with high rate throws of 6mm. C.G. was set on stock points. Data logger was sampling/logging at 8 times per second.

I held the plane by the nose to see if it had enough thrust for vertical...sure enough, before full throttle it was pushing up against my hand.

Plane was launched at a decent angle with a firm throw, it started to climb vertical but not so fast due to excessive weight and limit of 8" prop on low KV. Thrust of about 4 lbs. but weight of 53 o.z.
APC E 8X6 850W close to 15,000 RPM with battery fresh off charger.

It got to altitude about same as a tall tree and stayed there as if in a hover for a second, still at full throttle. It then tipped over on it back and started a flat spin while upside down.

Inputs were not responding in that upside down spin. The motor was cut and the plane came out of the spin and went for the ground and it hit hard. It was almost perfectly nose down during the impact, from the creases in the Extreme tape it looks to have taken a little harder hit on the right side.

Plane lived. Thanks to the 4 hidden C.F. tubes right behind the nose. I guess it was a grenade proof build.

From the time throttle was turned on just before launch, data logger shows about 6 seconds before motor was turned off with a 10% reduction in power before throttle was shut off.

__________________________________________________ _____

Battery stayed under the hatch thanks to the great battery strap that I bought from this site:

http://puretechproducts.com/products.html

I bought the double strap PUR022 and made sure that the foam was mostly smooth and level before putting it on. I am amazed that the industrial glue on back side of Velcro bottom stayed connected to the foam with the hard impact while holding a heavy 3S-5000 battery. WOW.
Next time, I think I might try PUR213 by itself or in conjunction to above double strap. The PUR213 (if long enough) should be able to go under my existing C.F. rods for a guarantee that the battery will never get ejected.

**During order, I called and I believe I was talking to the owner. He took good care of me and included some free stickers with his LOGO and a key chain with Velcro attached to it with his LOGO ....

I ordered a few straps to make it worth paying for the shipping. I would have ordered more but I didn't know what to expect as far as performance.....I'm still amazed that the glue held on to foam, good thing it had a wide surface to work with.
__________________________________________________ ______

My rear zip tie for the motor (see bottom of page 75) turned out to be defective or something. Without the zip tie breaking, it opened up during the hard impact. The little locking tab broke.

This was a 7.8 o.z. motor, twice the weight of 16/25/3(3.9 o.z.). I guarantee the F-27C mount would have broken and the lighter motor would have went flying and ripping out the ESC along with it.

My custom motor mount held the heavy motor in place, but because of the rear zip tie failing, motor got raised up enough to crack one of the two legs of the mount which are at rear running along the T.E. (left side cracked at the base).
When I make a new one, I'll make it normal F-27C mount height instead of 0.300" taller as I had it (better reference before I change things around).
I will add a 4th zip tie next to the one that failed. I guess zip ties come in various quality. This one was normal size, next size up at LOWES store would have been about 1/2" wide I guess, HUGE.
Mine were rated for 75 Lbs each. But they got the shock factor instead of weight....LOL...

I'm out of 3/16" Aircraft quality plywood needed for rear mount and my local hobby store does not have it.

But I made this plane to be able to switch motors in minutes. Till I get some wood, I might switch over to 16/25/2 and stock F-27C mount which the 8 mount holes are already provided for (see pics).
I estimate 5 minutes to swap motor and mounts...Except for needing a new way of connecting the Optical RPM sensor.

*** MR. Mugen you just built a custom mount for your optical RPM sensor 2 or 3 days ago, please e-mail me a pic or post it. (same motor and mount...cool deal).

Due to higher KV, the 16/25/2 will be propped with APC E 7X5 for 900-950W and 4+ o.z. weight reduction due to motor and mount weight differences.

Front of fuse is supposed to be roughly 1/4" (I guess) past the edge of front hatch. Mine is flush with edge of front hatch due to the impact. Actually the top part leans just under.
Not a big deal at all, weight and C.G. do not get effected.
That compressed part of the fuse is just over 2" wide X 1/4" long = barely over 0.5 inch squared......lift will not be effected.

*** I was using an old thrashed nose cone anyway...no loss there.

Fuse looks straight by eye and even on both sides.......The 4 tubes behind the nose kept the front of fuse from exploding open. Not even the hatch popped open.

I knew motor was not going anywhere in a crash, so the ESC wires were zip tied to motor wires to prevent ESC from moving and smashing its own capacitors.
Almost all other parts were taped in place.

FYI: I carry the plane by cupping my hand and holding the motor while the nose hangs down. That mount is really sturdy.

The previously defective battery got a crease in it now (near front). No loss there.

Mistakes made by me:

1) Using a defective battery.

2) Not realizing that I shouldn't go at so much of a vertical climb while using a defective battery.
6 seconds to lose 10% power = loss of my excess thrust above weight to go vertical.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

I've said this in the past...long time ago:

Seeing the solution and giving advice is easy when helping others, but when you are in the thick of things yourself, excitement is just too much and mistakes can easily be made. It does not matter what you know....Doo Doo happens.
By avoiding step 1 or 2 above this crash would not have happened.

100% my fault.
Lucky that the cost was $1 worth of wood and 1/2 square inch of area lost in front by compression.
Battery and nose cone were junk already.

******** I was lucky *******

I will attempt the maiden again in a week or so. Lots of rain here on/off and I have plans for the next few days.

Have a great weekend everyone,

Gryphon
Old 04-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Gryphon

News Flash! Castle Creations is now the US Distributor of NeuMotors!

That was on top of this page:
http://www.neumotors.com/20061222/Welcome.html
Old 04-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Mr. Mugen

That is great news! I love the way castle handles their customer service. I have never had a bad experience with castle and I have had their stuff and questions since they first came onto the scene. Always friendly helpful advise and answers. Now with them carrying neu I will definatley be dealing with them even more.

Kevin
Old 04-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Stryker_Viking

Gryphon...

Sorry to hear about your maiden man, that sux...

Wish you would have been here so I could have catapulted that heavy beast for you, your experience wouldn't have been an issue... you should look into it man - if you want to avoid launching crashes that is of course... All the drama is gone you know...

Still no trace of my twin motor wing, been searching for hours and hours, done aerial photo filming over our new "Bermuda Triangle" to no prevail, -last report state 5 planes gone missing out there now and no trace what so ever...???

Stryker_Viking

Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Mr. Mugen

5 planes go missing and you still fly there? I hope like heck you find it man! That sux more than gryph's episode of "Stryker meets earth".

I flew my "earth proof" Stryker today. I got a speed reading of 132 for my fastest pass. It was not in a dive to my knowledge. It was coming straight at me about 10 foot up so dive would have made a mess....

I like this prop for speed but runtime is gone.

I ran a 6.5x6 for the 5th time. I love the speed! I am going to try the 6.5x5 next flight and log the data for 3 or 4 flights. Then maybe a bigger one for the cold snap next week....who knows. Is it possible to put my data logger file online somewhere so anyone can access it?

Oh yeah....gryphon. I did not mount the rpm sensor yet. I bent a piece of aluminum tubing at a 90 degree angle for it and waited on the answer for the position of mounting the sensor. I got it now but still haven't mounted it. Maybe tonight. I also might need a short extension for it as the reach is pretty close from an eyeball. I will update this post when I do it. Don't want to hit 100 pages too fast.......
Kevin
Old 04-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Stryker_Viking

It's some sort of un-organized airfield a'la club sort of thing, great place and cool people, maybe the name "Lucky Field" should be changed though...???
I only lost one plane there... so far...

Regarding the prop; If it was me and maximum speed was the goal, then I would cut down that 6.5 x 6 to a smaller diameter - say 6" to start out with... assuming that you could get higher rpm with your pack and that your bird is smooth and shaved...

Re. the data logger; What about upload the graph as an image file here, then we could all admire your progress?
To make an image of your graph, go to http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html to download (one of many free) program for snapping (capturing) images from selected parts of your screen. I use this one myself, it's small-fast-simple etc., you can't go wrong...

Stryker_Viking

PS. Don't forget to balance the propeller after cutting it down...

Old 04-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Gryphon

Stryker_Viking,

Re: snapping (capturing) images from the screen.

Here is how I managed to do it on last page (93).

1) I pressed the "Print Scr" key while holding "Shift" key.
That key is next to F12 and Insert keys.
I first maximized the screen so it does not copy other desktop items.

2) I opened up the paint program and did a paste.
To paste: either hold down "CTrl" key while pressing "V" key, or in paint program click on paste under edit menu.
The “Paint” program is under “Accessories”.

3) Change page type from "Portrait" to "Landscape" to get a better and larger screen shot.
Under file menu of the Paint program, click on page setup, and then click on portrait.

4) Save as file type "JPEG" so it can be uploaded in RCU in a post or PM.
Under "File" menu, click on "Save as", then change "Save as type" to JPEG.
Default Bitmap does not upload in RCU.

The above steps work really well on a PC without the need for downloading another program.

Looks like King_Paul called you today to watch him maiden his MIDI 90mm EDF Stryker on 3S. If all goes well, 5S will go in it right after. He has taken his radar gun with him. I expect a call from him in a couple of hours.....I can't wait.

Motor height and vertical thrust line are key issues there. The height of the fan forces the motor to be located higher without extensive rework of fuse. It is good to see progress in stages.
Same method gave him a MINI fan 480 powered Stryker that flew great at 100 MPH and maneuvered really well.

I hope you guys have fun. Video if you can.

Gryphon
Old 04-05-2008, 08:07 PM
jumper666

Not exotic like what Gryphon might do but should be interesting. Five inches off each wing, winglets at 45 degrees, brushless motor, nose held on with magnets so it may break away.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21220.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	922632   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43338.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	922633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25547.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	922634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk24039.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	922635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd44248.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	922636  
Old 04-05-2008, 08:47 PM
iamman711

Jumper, what contraption is that (holding the hatch in place at both ends)? So you glued the 3 piece hatch together with CA glue, then what?

Also, what did you do to ensure the perfect 45 degree angle (winglet junction)? Did you only use a hobby knife only, or some special tools?

thanks in advance
Old 04-05-2008, 09:31 PM
jumper666

iamman711, hatch is as it is, rubber band hold downs at each end, for fast/easy on/off and security. On previous Strykers, various more elaborate, time consuming to build hatch hold downs were used. This one is sure, fast, easy, etc. No, it is not exotic but it works fine. Yes, glued the 3 pieces together then ran carbon fiber stiffeners on the underneath side. Forty five angle at wing tip was done with careful knife cuts. It came out VERY close to identical. Yes, a band saw or table saw could have done slightly better. If you have access to nice power tools, use 'em. However, don't let not having them stop your enjoyment of building.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:26 AM
Gryphon

Hi all,

King_Paul maidened his 90 MM EDF system on his old Stryker to work out any details/possible bugs before maiden of his new Stryker.

His first flight showed the need to change the vertical thrust line of his modified mount. He went to his shop, did the adjustment, and went back to the field.

He says the power system worked beautifully on 3S at 85MPH or faster. It was not radared. But that was also my estimate of his Speed by using motocalc.
He was very happy with how the plane banked in flight.

5S will power the same EDF by next week. I estimate that at 120+ MPH. I guess we will soon find out.
If that goes well, the EDF will go on his new Stryker.
He has several mods on the new plane. I can’t wait to see it. Descriptions over phone can only go so far.

He noted that slight nose weight from a little bigger 3S made the plane fly much better than on stock C.G. points.

Mr. Mugen,

I just noticed your post above, WOW 132 MPH level just above ground. I call that 100% level.

I can’t believe that I missed that detail. Hey if you get a chance to make an Eagle Tree screen shot, that would be awesome.

Regarding posts……come on my friend, don’t hold back….post away. All good things will come to the end at some point.
It will also be a new beginning. Part 7 will be an exciting thread suited for diverse group of people.

If I remember right, each post allows for 12 uploads.

I promised you 130 MPH and it looks like I delivered.

Without giving away details, let me say TWO thumbs up on your continued efforts in research and testing.

To the three adults who contacted me:

Thanks guys. No response to him is best policy. He just won’t stop.
Potshots from afar just show a person’s class, upbringing, and education.
Moving forward …

jumper666,

You never cease to amaze me. BRAVOOOOOOOOO.

That is one hot looking bird.

I love seeing innovative projects like that from you, bubblegum, and others.

You are a true DARKSIDER.

If the wingspan “without the tips” is same as your last clipper, then most likely you will need to push your battery back a little as compared to the clipper. (In your clipper it needed to go forward).

Actually nothing wrong with doing a maiden with a little extra nose weight anyway.

Good luck on your maiden.

Stryker_Viking,

It would have been great being back there with you guys.

This field where I will maiden is huge. Imagine no trees for several hundred feet in any direction, and a good surface to land on too.

I'll call you in a few days to catch up.

Later,

Gryphon
Old 04-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Mr. Mugen

I think this shot might have been in a slight dive while making adjustments to get low for a fly by. Here it is.

P. S. Gryphon.....you definatley delivered! Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85797.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	923127  
Old 04-06-2008, 11:51 AM
jumper666

Gryphon, bet you are correct on backing off the battery a bit.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Stryker_Viking

Gryphon

Thanks, yeah - I know about the old "PrintScreen" command and use it sometimes, though the problem with that one is that you get the whole darn screen/can't choose window and have to work on the image with cutting etc...

Anyways, King Paul showed up with his old battle-bruised Stryker with this huge 90mm (almost 4") EDF and that fat Mega ACn 22/30/2 (I think) installed in a nice angle pushing the nose upwards about 5 degrees, looked like the same initial trim I used on much smaller EDF's...

Only available battery pack for the day was 3s, and this low 1700kv motor is a high voltage monster capable of 6s so at least I didn't expect anything exiting, but man was I wrong...

Nice speed - not extremely fast but in the 80-90 mph range and with a very nice vertical climb, first time I seen that with an EDF, it must be the pure size that generate that kind of respectful thrust...

No video or photo shot, but perhaps next time.

Stryker_Viking

Old 04-06-2008, 06:31 PM
jumper666

Ref posting #2342:

My latest Stryker had its maiden today. All went as well as one could have wished. The three 1st impressions were: 1. it accelerates more quickly than any other Stryker I have seen, 2. at whatever speed, it was very stable and 3. color scheme worked VERY well. No, it is not the fastest, but it is fun to play with the acceleration. That acceleration paid off instantly after the toss launch. Some toss launches have a little dip just after the toss. There was none of that. The acft could be brought in low/slow to float by then when power was applied, it jumped forward to sweep up and around gaining both altitude and speed. Did not think to test its straight up vertical ability. During the maiden, I was busy with a few other considerations. The 60 - 70 degree climb outs it did were no problem at 3/4 throttle. Prior to the maiden, I had wondered about an untried configuration's stability. Any concerns evaporated in the first few seconds. Fast or slow, climb, dive, or straight and level, it was on rails. The color scheme, like it or not, did its job. Maintaining the orientation picture was never easier. The overall impression during the first flight was like encountering a old friend who since last meeting had been going the gym daily resulting in his becoming lean, mean, sleek, and nimble.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Gryphon

Hi all,

I added a step to above screen capture procedure to change the page setup from Portrait to Landscape for wider, larger, and better results.

Stryker_Viking,

He was running the 22/20/2 2875 KV which might be in the 600-700W range while on 3S.

I'm the one who has the 22/30/2 1770KV. For fun I tried mine on 3S in my MIDI 90MM fan and I got 200W or barely more. I also tried 5S but that info is not handy right now.

If it was not for his 2875 KV he couldn't of made all that power on 3S.

So now imagine 2875KV and 5S-3850 25C and 90mm MIDI EDF. I bet he will be in the burst range of the battery and the motor will not be that happy in static conditions.
Since he will be flying fast and the EDF unloads a lot, his motor and battery will be just fine. Hey that is what it takes to match the speed of 120+ MPH propped Strykers with EDF.

I expect his climbing on 5S to be phenomenal.

*** For people who are wondering: King_Paul is not really into writing up posts, and prefers to read a few from time to time.

Mr. Mugen,

On that screen shot you may have been flying at a slight downward angle... BUT I vaguely remember that earlier in flight you hit 132 MPH but you were making maybe another 75-100W. That was probably more level.

I suggest you go through the file again and look at the 1:30 to 2:00 minute mark.

Gryphon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.