Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

SUCCESSFUL SOARING SOLUTION FOR MOTOR POWERED GLIDERS

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Old 07-11-2007, 06:19 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUCCESSFUL SOARING SOLUTION FOR MOTOR POWERED GLIDERS

Disorientation at "high altitude" can be a problem. In the beginning of my most recent R/C flying career I added asymmetrical "trim" on the bottom side of my wings. Because I was trying to learn to fly my Park Flyers in "park size parks" I never flew high enough for my color trim to make any real difference.

Although I did frequently loose orientation with my faster and harder to see Aero Voyager when alternating between it and my Accipiter Badius planes to allow cool down time, it was not until I started flying my new white "Exceed AB" ship that I realized that I had a real problem.

The solution that works perfectly is the addition of a large red easy to see Monokote "meatball" on the "flaperon" side of my wings. I have not lost orientation even one time even at 400 feet and greater altitude.

It's fun when some experiments actually work!

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric, "better felt than told modeling" is obsolete, truth is triumphing - there is no escape.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:28 PM
FMB42

Default RE: SUCCESSFUL SOARING SOLUTION FOR MOTOR POWERED GLIDERS

I have a LS (GWS clone) Zero and the meat balls do help. I painted the lower part of this plane a very light gray for a scale appearance and this also makes it hard to see. The meat balls have saved me a few times. Not all, but a few.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:15 PM
surjer

pix?
Old 07-14-2007, 02:51 PM
mad web tv scientist

surjer, How about a word picture? I procured a round shape from the kitchen that provided an area covering most of my wing chord out near the wing tip. I used the circular shape as a pattern to trace around using a felt tip marker on some red Monokote. My sharp scissors work very well to cut out a nice round "meatball" that is then ironed on the bottom of the wing. My meatballs really show up nicely when the ship is way up high in the sky.

The following url should bring up a post that includes a commitment to include pictures at some point in the future. However, I am having so much fun flying now that it could be a "while" before I settle down and complete the mentioned picture illustrated web site.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6109256/tm.htm

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric, "better felt than told modeling" is obsolete, truth is triumphing - there is no escape.