Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Burnt out ESC

Old 07-14-2007, 10:09 AM
healthyfatboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnt out ESC

I crashed my stock Stryker C today and think I may have burned something out. I checked the battery and it was at 12V and when I plugged it into the ESC, the ESC went through the normal arming procedure. It had the long beep then the three beeps right after when you first plug in, the servos all straightened out, and then it had the three beeps ascending in pitch like it armed. Then I tried moving the servos and they wouldn't move and the motor wouldn't turn either. Any ideas as to what may be the problem?

As a little background on the crash. I crashed off of someone's roof and bounced into a tree in their backyard. I lost visual of it behind the school I was flying at. I even have on-board video of it all. As I tried to figure out where it was (I thought it had crashed on the school because I didn't realize how far out it was), I thought if I absolutely couldn't find it, I could spool up the motor and try and hear where it was. Well, I had to get to that point and tried and think I may have fried something in the process.

Anyway, I can post the video as well when it's finished uploading.

Any suggestions would be helpful as this is my first brushless system and I'm not sure how some of the electronics work and go bad. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2007, 12:11 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Burnt out ESC

Healthyfatboy:

Go to the manufacturers instrctions and see what those signals mean. May have to re-program it, instructions will tell you how. It only takes a second (maximum) of overcurrent, ie, wide open and prop not free to move, to fry one of these things. The higher end units like Jetti and Castle Creations seem to have a higher tollerance for goofs, but I have killed both from a crash, or goof up reverse poliraty, gone in a moment, but you will learn from that. ENJOY
Old 07-14-2007, 06:30 PM
healthyfatboy

Default RE: Burnt out ESC

Well, I tried a suggestion from someone on another forum to change the receiver and I did and it seemed to work just fine. The ESC was always arming fine after the crash but I couldn't get the surfaces or motor to do anything. After I tried out a different receiver, I thought I would try the original one again and it worked. It was the strangest thing. Now I don't know if I should try and fly again using the original receiver. My other radio is the DX7 and I have heard that the AR6100 doesn't work well on the Stryker C. I don't want to switch over yet unless I can get a higher rated speed control. Any suggestions on whether or not I should fly with the original receiver?