Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Park Pilots - Do you Fly Alone or with A Group?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
Fly Mostly at AMA Chartered Club?
8.65%
Fly Mostly at non AMA Club (formal club with Bylaws)
0%
Fly with a group (non formal club)
23.08%
Fly Alone Mostly
68.27%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Park Pilots - Do you Fly Alone or with A Group?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:12 PM
TheHobbyGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park Pilots - Do you Fly Alone or with A Group?

This is for everyone who considers themselves a Park Pilot or Park Flyer - I am curious how many of you fly alone or with a group.

So would you say you
Old 08-17-2007, 06:18 PM
octane-link

Default RE: Park Pilots - Do you Fly Alone or with A Group?

I fly park planes with a group of co-workers. I fly my big birds at an AMA field though.

Well, I used to fly with friends until I accidentally flew through one of their airplanes.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:36 PM
twmoody

I usually fly alone even though I do most of my flying at a club field. I usually do my flying early in the morning and go home by 9am. That is when the gas guys are allowed to start flying and I cannot stand the noise they make.

Tom Moody
Old 08-17-2007, 07:36 PM
andrewtexas123

I fly alone..

Andrew
Old 08-17-2007, 09:44 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

I love to fly. The guys at the local club like to sit around a talk a lot. when I get that age, I might want to do the same but right now I want to fly so I find a nice quiet spot and fly alone..
Old 08-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Tommyr

I fly alone MOST of the time. Sometimes a friend of mine who also flys joins me. He likes to build. I like to just fly. I'm going out tomorrow barring any bad weather or wind!

Tom
Old 08-17-2007, 10:41 PM
3010charles

Solo 4 me![8D]
Old 08-18-2007, 01:37 AM
tmackel

My son and I fly together. Sometimes there is another flyer that shows up at one of the locations we fly at. With a park flyer, it's too easy to go to the school yard at the end of my block any time I want.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:14 AM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

I can't hurt anyone when I'm by myself either
Old 08-18-2007, 01:32 PM
iflyrc1012
My Feedback: (6)

it all depends on what i'm flying. . . electric slowflyer, small air hogs aeroace, alone in the schoolyard mostly. but anything larger than 12 inch wingspan, or heavier than a few ounces, that can do damage to people or property, at the club field with others.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:45 PM
garyparnell

My brother and I fly together most of the time. Sometimes we have a friend along who flys the same equipment as we do.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:19 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Most of the time, I fly alone.
I fly almost every day, early in the morning and late in the evening, when the temperature is more comfortable and it is calm most of the time.
On Sundays, I join the regular group at the flying field mostly to watch them fly and listen to them (there is a lot of talking, very little flying). The regular group flies mostly gas. However, except for two of the guys, the rest have purchased electric planes since I joined them. How about that!!

By the way, they crash the electric planes more often than the gas planes. I don't really know why.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:50 PM
friedclutch

Man that's funny. I thought only my local "Legal field" had the older guys talking... Where there's more talking than flying. Most of the people there dont even get the plane out of the truck! Anyways. By far.... by myself at the park. Every now and then I'll break out the gas planes and go to the flying field.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:59 PM
mad web tv scientist

TheHobbyGuy, Interesting thread. As a "finally-arrived" Park Flyer flyer I am anticipating flying with others. My three flights today were comfortably flown from a fenced in baseball field. Months ago after being knocked out of the sky by a Park Flyer eating tree I have been using a really large space with lots of soccer fields on it for most of my flying adventures. My fields were covered with soccer players today.

After three enjoyable flights with two planes today, at long last I now feel confident in my ability to "comfortably" fly my Park Flyers in park size flying sites. The local airport here in Salem, Oregon reported the wind speed was 16. I don't know if that is kilometers or miles. I use to think it was MPH, But now I am not so sure. It seemed to me like the wind at the "Pen site" where I was flying was around 10 mph, which is only about a mile from the airport.

Keep 'em flyin'!

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric, "better felt than told modeling" is obsolete, truth is triumphing - there is no escape.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:49 AM
schuh007

I usually go it alone till I get a crowd, every little kid and dad wants to try, but I do have a friend that goes and sometimes there are other flyers there. Where around Salem do you fly???
Old 08-19-2007, 06:47 PM
2002denali

Mostly alone because I can go when ever the winds are right.It's hard to preplan a fly day as you can never tell what the weather will be like.I have a few friends that are just starting to fly and will be helping them along.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:24 PM
iflyrc1012
My Feedback: (6)

OK. EVERYBODY SHOUT OUT LOCATIONS!! ME FIRST... BROOKLYN N.Y.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Tommyr

ORIGINAL: iflyrc1012

OK. EVERYBODY SHOUT OUT LOCATIONS!! ME FIRST... BROOKLYN N.Y.

Ummm, look below my avatar. I'm upstate from youse guys!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:40 AM
mad web tv scientist

schuh007, Today I was left with the undeveloped area east of the Penitentiary bounded by State Street on the South, the Penitentiary fence on the west, the dead end street leading to my normally second choice flying site on the east, and some low hills on the north end of the area. Actually, I ended up liking the area more than than flying on the baseball field yesterday. All of my usual ball fields had people obstacles on them today. The Airport reported the wind speed at 19 just after I got home from flying. Is that MPH or KPH? I enjoyed some of the greatest thermals ever today. A little wind is really kind of fun now.

Please send me an e-mail or a PM and we can conspire on a rendezvous mission.

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric, "better felt than told modeling" is obsolete, truth is triumphing - there is no escape.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:50 PM
mad web tv scientist

schuh007, We may have to communicate only on the thread. Some unusual things may be happening with my e-mail again.

Flew this morning in the rain to check out my equipment and techniques under such flying conditions. One thing I will not try again under somewhat turbulent conditions is to attempt a motor start after a hand launch. Under good conditions where I am not wearing a restrictive poncho such a trick is relatively easy - but not today.

After the embarrassing crash on take off I checked the plane out and found no serious problems, test glided it once, and then put up a confidence building flight. The rain got so heavy that I wished that I had some windshield wipers on my glasses. I could hardly see the plane at times. Now that I know that it can be done I will probably pass on any future rainy weather flying except, of course, for any irresistible modeling promoting demo work.

I already knew that the under cambered wing version of the AB flys well in the rain but I had to test to be sure that my simi symmetical wing version would also do the job. The plastic bag with a hole in the top for the transmitter antenna and the plastic covering around the airplane receiver works really great. At this point I do not intend to attempt any R/C aerobatics in the rain - It is not fun to fly a plane that I can not see clearly unless it is a control-line aerobatics airplane that can be flown by feel.

The rain is supposed to clear up so I plan to be out at my "Pen flying sites" later on today after I take care of some chores. The airport report said the wind was 21 as of around noon - should be some great thermals out there.

Looking forward to the wild blue yonder (well, maybe mostly gray today).

Old 08-21-2007, 06:34 AM
TheHobbyGuy

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

As a "finally-arrived" Park Flyer flyer I am anticipating flying with others.

Welcome to Park Flying! I know how you feel - I did the same .

I am amazed how many people fly in the morning. So is it like a before work thing?
Old 08-21-2007, 07:45 AM
2002denali

I work nightshift and like to go out on my way home after work.The winds are usually calmer in the early morning.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:45 PM
mad web tv scientist

TheHobbyGuy, I tend to get a little carried away with "poetic license" when discussing airplanes, sorry.

The point that I failed to make was that I now feel comfortable flying in small "park size" flying spaces. As a "self taught" Park Flyer I made the mistake of trying to learn to fly in small spaces. As a result of this ill-advised practice I developed some very intense neurotic behavior that I had to overcome once I wised up and started training in large enough spaces so that my focus was on flying and not on not crashing.

I was disappointed yesterday that "007" did not respond to my post so we could fly together. I put up five (5) flights yesterday afternoon at my "Pen" flying site and plan to go out again today. This time I plan to perform outside barrel rolls only when I have a lot of speed and/or a lot of altitude.

A local potential new modeler showed up before my last flight of the day. After explaining a lot of stuff I happened to mention that this modified powered glider was capable of all the combat maneuvers that I personally am interested in flying. Well, you know what happened next!

I just had to put on a warbird airshow for him. Things were going so well that I got just a "little" reckless and after a really neat split S at low altitude I had the irrational compulsion to fly immediately into an immelmann and instead of performing an inside barrel roll I foolishly tried an outside barrel roll. Great crash demonstration! The new modeling prospect was very impressed at how little damage there was, he was also no doubt impressed at how crazy modelers can be. This plane will be flown "carefully" today (famous last words).

One last point - I have finally reached the point in my R/C flying career where wind does not stress me siginificantly when I go out to fly.

Gone flying.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:57 PM
MikeMc

I fly in my front yard. I like to consider the tiny little track house front lawn as a park.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:52 PM
TheHobbyGuy

I tried my backyard - but I kept landing in my neighbors pool...LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.