Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

FIRE!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:31 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIRE!

[] FIRE!

Fortunately, only the flight battery and the small red ElectriFly connectors were destroyed. A short circuit developed in the plug(s) My ohm meter reads zero resistance between the two poles of the plugs. The insulation was completely burned off the smaller diameter plug connector wires. Part of the insulation on the now totally dead battery was also burnt away. The canopy/battery hatch now has a hole in it that will add to the air cooling ventilation system on the plane.

Fire prevention now includes reinforcing the airplane connectors with plastic tape. I noticed before the flight with the fire that the wires on the female plug seemed loose which might have lead to a poor connection that in turn might have gotten so hot during the full power climb to soaring altitude that the plug melted and allowed the short circuit to happen. From now on motor run checks will be made on any suspicious looking equipment to check for any overheating parts.

Interestingly, the onboard fire was slow enough in its progressive destruction that it was possible to make a "controlled landing." The landing winded up way down wind so maybe I really did not have the control that I thought.

FLY SAFELY!

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric, "better felt than told modeling" is obsolete, truth is triumphing - there is no escape.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:43 AM
tmackel

Default RE: FIRE!

I have been using Liquid Electrical Tape for years on the electronics I use in my ocean going fishing kayak. After I heat shrink the insulation on the connectors I give a shot of the liquid tape to make double sure it is sealed up. It also comes in a tube.

-Ted
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15401.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	744303  
Old 08-18-2007, 07:18 PM
mad web tv scientist

tmackel, Thanks for the info. I think in my case that the electrical connection had become loose and weak enough to create a high enough resistance to cause the destructive heating problem. One thing not mentioned in my original post is my practice of stuffing sponge rubber around likely areas for possible crash damage prevention. I am now using less sponge rubber and may ventilate my battery areas more.

madwebtvscientist [sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=lol.gif]

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric, "better felt than told modeling" is obsolete, truth is triumphing - there is no escape.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:27 PM
calvino

be careful with the foam rubber as it can provide a wonderful fire starter, so what started out as a little hole in the plane can become a flaming missle, just my 2 cents.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:23 AM
mad web tv scientist

calvino, thanks for the heads up. I am using a lot less foam rubber now and will keep your thoughts in mind.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:11 PM
mad web tv scientist

FIRE! - PREVENTION UPDATE

The battery plug wire insulation on the very next battery that has been used in turn moderately for a year with other batteries showed signs of starting to melt. The plug was replaced with a new one. 20 gage wire hooks have been installed on the inside of the battery compartment. A small rubber band is connected to the hooks and provides a handy way to hold the plug away from the battery and in an air stream provided by a ram air soda straw section glued into the hole provided by the previous on board fire.

Four (4) spare packages of plugs have been ordered to have handy just in case. No more fires please.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Dave ESPI

ARGH !

Not a day after I read this thread.......

I have not even had a maiden flight on this, and the battery got toasted [][sm=cry_smile.gif]

This is why I hate building planes with batteries sealed inside them, and we should NEVER charge them left in the planes.

No actual fire, but I can only surmise that since wasn't paying attention, it must have overheated with a false peak, and re-zapped itself.

SO much for my 100.00 super nice authentic paint warbird build

Cheap-o batteries..... MADE IN CHINA.. grrrrrr
Old 08-31-2007, 01:37 AM
mad web tv scientist

[X(] Dave ESPI, Sorry about your disaster. Your pictures really do tell the story. I am now "religiously" using a noisy timer to remind me to check my charging batteries. Yes, I do occasionally peak charge a battery while it is in a plane and have been lucky so far.

Your experience will help intensify my "situational awareness" of possible enemy fire.