Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club III

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club III

Well, I had some nice flying weather yesterday so I took the Synapse out for a re-re-re-re-re-maiden but I forgot to adjust my elevons. I made it 15' with no lift and loads of speed and the nose got amputated AGAIN....Oh, well. Maybe next spring, as it's been snowing here since 11:00 last night. We're up to about 3 inches by now and I don't think a ducted fan jet will take too kindly to ingesting snow...

Usually when I do something stupid like that I sit down to think up ways to make myself feel better. I got a REALLY good one this time but as usual I can't afford it. Here it is:

Ok, you know those Draganfly Innovations things with the four props arranged around a center thing, or the Silverlit X-UFO? Well, I decided I want to build a brushless version of one of those. Now, the whole 'Making all the ESCs work together as well as independently' thing semms either too hard or too expensive so I came up with a much easier solution: Why not use a CCPM heli radio and plug an ESC into each of the 3 swash servo plugs? As for motor/prop torque yaw issues, well, just use a servo to tilt the whole rear prop and motor assembly and use a gyro to help with the whole yaw thing. It's a little tricky to explain but I'll have some MS Paint drawings to help.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Ok, I got some very rough diagrams made in my favorite Microsoft app ever.... I think this may actually be a good idea
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89874.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	1081427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64715.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1081428  
Old 11-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Wow... I posted like 2 hours ago and still no one has said anything about anything! I'm amazed!

Well, good news: I found my $10 Walgreens camera and it still works, so I can post pics again!

Not much happening around here other than that.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:08 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

TP, that looks a bunch like a powered auto-gyro. I have seen the x-ufo in pics, and as I recall they were about $100 bucks. Have you thought about a pbf for flying in the snow?

Tim
Old 12-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Mr. Air Force, you've deeply offended me Why would I go through all that trouble to invent a powered autogyro? Clearly you don't appreciate good inventions[]

Actually, the REAL X-UFO made by Silverlit is around $175-$200. The $100 one you saw was probably one of the huge number of fakes.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a PBF? As soon as you say it I'll knock myself on the head because I knew what it was anyway but oh well...

......Edited for misinformation. Basically what I'd said before was my good ole' hobby shop is still open. It's under a new name now: Big Sky Hobbies. If any of you are ever up here in MN, find it and give the good folks there a visit. P.S. Jeremy, if you ever read this, I just gave you and your new store some free publicity!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Yeah, powered autogyro....Sure..........

Name:	Ec87545.jpg
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	1082414  
Old 12-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Loubud

That's not a powered autogyro. That's a brick with a prop on top. Tee hee.

Hi Trimble
Good news. Many of us remember you and that Fub 9C is still great.

Those of you that are still having trouble logging on to the other thread, send me a PM explaining it. I'll forward the info the the Admin (Scott) and try to get this squared away. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

TP, here's a definition of an autogyro. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogyro And here is the one that I was thinking of. http://www.lightflite.com/ . A pbf is a Pizza Box Flyer. Set your gear on it set up your elevons and go fly.

Tim
Old 12-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Teenage Pilot 14

PBF.... Pizza Box Flyer.... Makes perfect sense....

Loubud, I read that post and went out to the backyard, found a brick, and installed a complete R/C system on it, battery, motor, ESC, Rx, and of course, a prop. I was going to put on some tail feathers with servos and likages but the hinge tape wouldn't hold to the brick. It's a 1ch brick for now. If my camera worked better I'd take some pics, and if I had a video camera I'd get some flight video. Just a little bit of CG adjustment and it'll be flying pretty nice

So this morning I woke up, looked out te window, saw the increasing depth of the hated white stuff, and the first thought that ran through my head was "Why the **** would I even try to fly one of my nice foamies in that weather?" It was there that I decided to build a balsa plane. It'll be my first one, other than some micro Aero Ace-type things. I'm thinking 35" WS or so, brushless and lipo, four channels, simple design etc. I don't need to worry about motors right now; even though I have more planes than motors they all have 10mm stick mounts and they all produce enough power to fly any of my current planes, the exception being the ducted-fan Synapse. I have this brilliant system where I can go to the field with 3 planes and only one ESC, one motor, one batt, and a screwdriver, and fly all of them. (I usually have several batteries on hand, of course, because each plane likes its own and if I only have one to fly with I have to limit flight times quite a bit. It's possible, though.) I'm gonna go pick out some new servos, maybe a new motor system, a new Rx (making one radio do loads of extra work!) and some balsa and MonoKote and just whip out a plane!

One problem: I have no idea how or where to begin.

Another problem: Can a hairdyer set to the highet heat setting be used as a covering tool? I also have this other thing that spits really, really hot air but I'm worried that it'll just melt the covering completely. Help?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Loubud

Nice job with the brick. Mebee you can bold the hinge tape on.

There's a stick build thread for guys that haven't done it before somewhere here on RCU or RCG. You'll need an iron and a heat gun for the covering.
Sorry I don't have a link to the thread.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Thanks Loubud, I'll go find it.

Ok, I just found these servos on good ole eBay. $22 with free shipping, and there are 6 included. It says they're SG90s and from what I've heard those are of reasonable quality, but could someone verify this? Also, I'm worried that they aren't really selling SG90s, like a case of false advertising. Here's a link http://cgi.ebay.com/6x-SG90-9g-Mini-...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old 12-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Wow, slow day around here...

Well, I was just looking around at different planes to get ideas for how I'll design mine and I wound up (not for the first time) at TrendTimes. I thought I'd just take a moment to say that they are among the most disgusting, foul stores on the internet. You first look at some of their prices and you laugh, but then you think of all the innocent people who've actually purchased that junk for those insane prices and suddenly it's no so funny. They're selling Picco Z KNOCKOFFS for $100, and then they have the nerve to say that's the LOWEST F-ING PRICE ON THE WEB!!!!!! They show videos on their site that real people have made flying their own plane and they say that it's their own video and that others have stolen it! They have about 50 different 2 and 3ch helis that they claim are the " smallest, best quality, highest tech, most advanced, and most stable-flying helicopters in the world". They advertise the Dynam Hughes 300 FP heli as an ideal TRAINER HELI!!!!!!! Anyone who thinks it's ok to approach marketing in that fashion should be strapped to target and have 33% aerobats flow into them. It's sick and disturbing what people can get away with.

And according to several different sites their customer service is like trying to get a brick to talk. They even threatened some guy by tellinghim that he wouldn't receive a refund for the item he returned if he complained to anyone about them sending him the wrong product then lying to him about it. They said it was exactly what he ordered even though it very clearly wasn't. I want to take those people and duct tape a soldering iron to their *****s.

Sorry about the angry words there. I know it's not really that nice to openly flame a business but these idiots deserve it. I mean, they make Nitroplanes and all their branches look like nice, honest little companies. Uh-oh, I'm getting started again...
Old 12-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Teen,
I totally agree. I am the type that you don't want to get started on flaming a bad company either.

On the other hand, Remember that Exceed J-3 Piper Cub I bought and you warned me about them. Well, the plane went on sale for $41.00 and I bought another one just for the parts. I received it in a timely fashion as well. I guess I am pretty lucky with them so far. I couldn't pass up the RTF for $41.00.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Wheelnut, I think you got me wrong. I meant that Nitroplanes was seeming better and better the more I looked at how awful TrendTimes is. When I said I was "getting started again" I meant I was about to start comparing TrendTimes to other companies. I guess Nitroplanes and such are really just a hit-or-miss sort of thing. Maybe after I just saw how horrid some companies can get I'll have to go find a REALLY good deal at Nitroplanes or one of their many alter egos and give them a 2nd, no, 3rd, no wait, 4th chance... I HAVE heard that their customer service is improving....

Well, I did something dumb today but in my last (angry) post I forgot to mention it: I fly with a JR radio and I just found a Futaba hat at a thrift store (Hey, I can't go drop $200 on a brand-new leather coat, can I?). Right after that I went to a hobby shop. I just couldn't bring myself to wear a Futaba hat into a hobby shop while I fly JR. No way...

Well, more excitement: I'm currently waiting for my good ole lipo (which one?) to charge. I just built a water/land/ice/snow thing that has a big rudder, a big prop, a fast motor, and sponsons. It took me about 1 hour to go from the 'sitting around bored' stage to the 'testing in the front yard' stage. And guess what? I came up with an idea: use the hot glue gun wherever possible to keep CA supplies up ( that sh1t's expensive!) and not sacrifice too much strength. See, I don't like to use hot things on my foamies because foam melts. I can if it's absolutely necessary but I really don't like it. This was the perfect opportunity practice my hot glue skills without putting an expensive model at risk OR wasting glue! I'll try to get pics but as I've made clear by now my camera's about as useful as MapQuest directions so don't hold your breath.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Wheelnut

Teen,
I didn't think you were starting up about nitroplanes again. I was just saying that so far I have had good luck with them. "Knock on wood".

CA Glue is very cheap at hobbycity.com. If you order from them, get some with your next order. It comes in a big bottle and is very cheap.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Dad_Roman

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

CA Glue is very cheap at hobbycity.com. If you order from them, get some with your next order. It comes in a big bottle and is very cheap.
So your using it? Does it seem to be of good quality?
Old 12-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Wheelnut

Yes I am using it. I hit a sign post on one of my landings in a parking lot and it snapped my fuse in half. I brought it home and glued it back together using that CA glue and I have flown it several times since and I have done many loops on each flight and no problems. Even before I flew it, I took it in my hands and tried to bend it to see how strong the joint was and it seems very strong.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:34 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

hey teenage your idea looks alot like this http://www.rctoys.com/rc-products-ca...FLYER-VTI.html

ok sorry guys i didnt read everything before i posted . thats what he was trying to copy
Old 12-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Loubud

I don't read before I post either. Much more fun that way.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:53 PM
fossoman

Heres the new bad boy on the block EXceed Rc F35 this thing hauls and looks awesome. http://www.nitroplanes.com/frarecoedfrc.html
Heres my Rafale which flys ok but needs a motor upgrade so it can climb vertical http://www.hobby-lobby.com/rafale.htm

Name:	Hf97964.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1086848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37300.jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1086849  
Old 12-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Loubud

Dammnn Foss
Darn nice. I have the Rafale but haven't flown it yet. I don't have plans for an upgrade...yet.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:16 PM
fossoman

The Rafale flys real nice but you better set up expo if you have it or fly it on low rates if you have the stock transmitter its touchy and rolls real fast. you have to be on your toes. Lands ok but its easy to bounce it.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Loubud

Foss
I'll need to toss the stock TX and use my TX for any expo. I'll try it stock and if it sux I'll swap it over. Actually, if it just flys I'll be happy.
Hobby City has some new fans out. Not the GWS ones but real edf's. Worth a look.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:28 PM
fossoman

check out the video of this F35 flying makes the Rafale look like a lead sled
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbdPZNTT_A
Old 12-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Loubud

Foss,
Gotta go. I'll yak with ya later. Thanks for the info on the Rafale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.