Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Hobbico FlyZone® Piper J-3 Cub RTF

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Hobbico FlyZone® Piper J-3 Cub RTF

Old 05-07-2009, 11:32 PM
HEMICUDA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobbico FlyZone® Piper J-3 Cub RTF

Airfool,
Please get back to us on your Cub upgrade experience. It's always a joy to see how many ways
the FZ Cub should have come from the factory.

Hemicuda
Old 05-07-2009, 11:34 PM
HEMICUDA

Airfool,
Please get back to us on your Cub upgrade experience. It's always a joy to see how many ways
the FZ Cub should have come from the factory.

Hemicuda
Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 AM
AirFool

I will Cuda, i just hope i get it flying before you snap and go postal on hobbico . Maybe our stories are therapy for you RC anger issues. But in all seriousness as soon as i get a chance im off to the skies. If i can find my camera ill video it, and ill post it if i dont crash.
Thanks again guys,
Laz
Old 05-11-2009, 06:51 PM
derek2005

Hey all,

I just got back from Branson Mo and I was fortunate enough to see the 1st annual air show at their new airport. All I can say is AWESOME!!!!!!!! There was constantly a plane or planes in the air flying and there was a good variation of aircraft to watch and look at. The had a J-3 that did the "goofy" aerobatics and landed on a truck. I was surprised at how small the J-3 was. Almost looked like a toy. I was amazed by the two F-18 hornets they had there. One of them did some crazy vertical stuff that I didn't know they could do. It was AWESOME! My favorite was probably the A-10 which did some simulated straffing runs with pyrotechnics. Phenomenal!! One of the explosions was so big that we got toasted by the heat and I was a good 200+yards away from the deck. The biplanes were cool and one fellow flew a s300 and just tossed that sucker in the sky. He did hovers, torque rolls, waterfalls, and much more. It was soooooooooooooo cool. I hadn't been to an airshow since 1993 when the Stealth bomber was deployed in Knob Knoster Mo at Whiteman AFB. The stealth made a fly by as well. It was a great day and memorable experience.

Happy Flying!
Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 PM
HEMICUDA

Good old Knob Knoster! I did a 6 week temporary duty (TDY) there back in 1992. Not much there.
Glad to hear the full sized Cubs can fly! Air show are always cool.

Hemicuda
Old 05-12-2009, 01:49 AM
derek2005

Hemi,

I grew up in Warrensburg, so Knob was pretty close to me. I also do a lot of artifact hunting in the area creeks. I always enjoyed seeing the A-10's flying over head while out and about and now it is cool to see the Stealth Bomber doing touch and goes. They set up for landing right over HWY 50. Very cool to see them with the gear out right over your head.

Derek
Old 05-12-2009, 10:53 PM
HEMICUDA

Derek,

Hwy 50...that's the one that looks like a roller coaster right? LOL. Never got to see the Stealth bomber,
I was stationed @ Griffiss AFB NY 1985-1995. We had B-52's (nuke cruise missles) 135 tankers (?) and my
first year at the base we still had some f-104 Delta Darts. I never went near the flight line in my career
as I was a Crypto?teletype tech/installer. All we did was go all over the eastern, and midweat US and
Europe and upgrade/install crypto. But my favorite place to watch planes was at Langley AFB VA, F -117's
F-15's going off in two's right over the bay as we're on the dock "crabbin" and drinking beer. Good times!

Airfool,

Don't worry about me, I'm a SGT at a State Maximum Security prison, I go to work to RELAX.

Cheers,
Hemicuda
Old 05-13-2009, 04:12 PM
derek2005

Hemicuda,

Both my wife's brother-in-law and my b.i.l are in the Air Force. We have seen many a base. My favorite so far to watch planes would probably be Alamogordo NM. I don't remember which planes they had there at the time, but I remember watching them against the backdrop of the mountains. They flew a lot each day and there were at least three different types of fighter jets they were training/practicing on at the time. That was cool.

Hwy 50 is a marvel of transportation engineering isn't it! Even better now with the speed limits raised since the early 90's. It used to take so long to get to KC on that "highway". It is especially interesting from the "Burg" to Jeff City. They do have about 10 miles of new 4 lane road open just outside of Jeff now. It is nice.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:29 PM
skybluesky

Looks like this thread has been dead for some time! I just wanted to update with my cub. I still have not flown this thing! Life and other hobbies have gotten in the way. However I had some time to clean my bench today and decided it's time to finish what I started. I have the tower pro brushless installed, installed the servo derek was kind enough to send me and ordered a new tail assembly (original was broken in storage). So I should be up and running very soon!

I was able to get some flying time in with the Begin Air this summer so hopefully that will aid me in keeping this yellow pain in the butt air born!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:01 AM
HEMICUDA

The only thing that keeps me from flying my FZ cub is gravity!!!!

Hemicuda
Old 10-16-2009, 08:28 PM
derek2005

My cub is trash now. I needed the space in my workshop to build and store other items and I stripped the servos out and trashed the thing. I actually feel bad about it, but not too bad since I have a new Kyosho RT5 sitting on my bench and I am preparing to purchase the Mountain Models Firestorm and start building it. I will have to build a good cub some day. Really scale it out and have a nice flying cub. I hope Skybluesky has a good experience with his. If it would have been my only plane, I would have kept it going, but my Etana is far more fun and easier to fly.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
EARLYWARNING
My Feedback: (1)

i didnt like the first three trys at flying this cub. the first was inturupted by the esc catching on fire, the next two were almost fatel due to this plane not being balanced properly. i replaced it with a 30 amp esc and upgraded the bat .i then opened up the cowl and found three ounces of weight, the tail had a hidden 1 ounce, and i just gave up at that point.i mounted an old radian glider wing with the cubs wing center section and replaced the cowl with a theroms bottle and added a folding prop , the plane balanced out at the factory recomended points and i decided to give it a try.

see the vid .

http://earlywarningssite.magnify.net/
Old 02-01-2011, 11:16 AM
EARLYWARNING
My Feedback: (1)

ok,

this rtf cub is junk with a nice box around it. it's the same thing as the fishing lure syndrone. we all buy what we like visually and assume that the fish will eat the lure we like and that plane we are buying will fly as well as it looks on the box and what the vids show and the lit states.

this company has thousands of postings from flyers who fell for the it's easy to fly and reliable equiptment claims. even experienced flyers can't get this yellow brick to fly on a consistant basis.

see the movie

http://earlywarningssite.magnify.net/
Old 03-15-2013, 05:31 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I know this is a very old thread, but is anyone still flying one of these cubs? I would like to upgrade the power system in my grandson's but I have been unable to source the motor listed in this thread, Any other motors work good? I don't know enough about electrics to be able to figure out what motor to use.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:22 PM
HEMICUDA

You will have to replace the motor and esc to brushless. And then figure out how to mount the new motor....and don't forget the thrust angle to compesate for torque roll. I ordered a 28 mm brushless in-runner in hopes of using the stock motor mount but it didn 't pan out. This plane is so far on my backburner of things to do due to the aweful experiences posted here. On a good note, the Flyzones (other planes not this one) come with brushless motors/esc and fly alot better.

Hemicuda
Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 PM
skybluesky

grbaker, I am still flying the Cub believe it or not! The brushless upgrade has kept this hunk of foam airborne! The new Flyzones do indeed all come brushless now. Just to verify you are not crazy though, many of the components you see mentioned in this thread are now branded as Turnigy instead of Tower Pro. Not to mention Hobby City is now Hobby King.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Treevenge

Now to resurrect this thread once again... So I was given one of these cubs several months ago minus most of the electronics but with a brushless motor(not installed). I determined to fix it up and learn to fly with it, and as of several weeks ago I can successfully fly it.
I did a lot of modifications to this plane, as well as some done by the previous owner. Most notably, it's now powered by an Exceed RC Alpha 370-1080kv on a custom 1" standoff mount turning an APC 8x4e. With a 3s 1300Mah lipo, I'm getting 7 min flighttime, and good performance. It's fast and will readily loop. The aileron throw has been increased to 5/16" and I've made a number of structural reinforcements.

The horizontal stab. has had a popsicle stick spar added by the prev. owner, and I added a bent 2-56 rod to reinforce the joining of the elevator halves. The wing strut attachment was modified by drilling out the forward of the two strut mounting points on the wing and the tiny screw replaced with a 2-56 bolt through the wing. The wing itself was reinforced there by adding a 1" diameter disc of 2mm plasticard glued to the bottom of the wing. In addition, I added a length of 64lb test monofilament fishing leader tied in a loop at each end and secured to these wing bolts. It passes under the fuse and serves as a backup to the fragile wing struts-if a strut fails the wing won't fold.

It was a bit of work getting this thing fixed up but it flies great now! This little plane is quite fast and handles well-just don't try flying really slow or it will stall. It will readily loop, Immelmann, or cuban-8. It still won't snaproll, the roll rate is poor even after increasing aileron throw. All-up weight is approximately 14.5oz.