Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow stick Forum!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:11 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slow stick Forum!!

hey guys i have a small video of my 400 brushed stick on 3s . as soon as youtube is done loading ill post the link till then heres some pic of my plane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EKX-SYMBQM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30915.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1066340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35118.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1066341  
Old 11-05-2008, 09:33 PM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Teenage Pilot 13

Marauderer- See why I love B/L so much now? And you're on 1200kv...I'm running 1850 My takeoffs consist only of how far the plane goes during motor spool-up ( ~3 feet). I can set my Stick on a regular-size picnic table, floor it and be off the table before I come to its end. Crazy....[&:]
TP13 are you running an inrunner or outrunner with that much kv?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Outrunner, very similar-looking to your Turnigy one. An average inrunner is about twice that speed, but I'd never put one on it direct- or gear-drive because gear drives suck and direct wouldn't be able to handle the prop loads I fly with unless I spent a large bit of money on a good one (my current one was like $13 at my LHS)
Old 11-06-2008, 08:42 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

i picked up a e-maxx from my lhs for $12 . its a cf2812 1534kv . not sure if its going on the stick or the mini telemaster . im thanking if it doesnt have the power for the mini then i know it should be for the stick
Old 11-06-2008, 09:17 PM
BarryReade

Anyone running the GWS 1060 HD as a prop on their SS? Anyone balancing their props? I ordered two SUPPO engines today. the 2217-09 and the 2814-06 both with 30a esc/bec. I am interested in seeing how they bothe perform on the old SS. I will try the GWS 1060 Hd prop on both motors and compare. I am getting ready to order some more Lipo's. I will probably go off shore and save a bundle, maybe???
Old 11-07-2008, 07:56 PM
tam popo

Dragonfire - that 2812 E-Max is the one I use, or the 2822 swinging an 11 x 5 prop!! The reason I nearly always use E-Max is the mounting is the same as the TowerPro ones, just 2 grub screws to remove the motor and bolt in another replacement - all done in one minute. The copper wires at the rear of the bell aren't as exposed as the TowerPro and the replacement 3mm shafts are easily available. And for only £4 ($7???) they can't be beaten.
This thread seems to be gaining in popularity as well - its good to see

I'm currently working on a Pico Stick I had lying around. Fitting it with a new 10mm wooden fuse, a 370 brushed instead of the gutless IPSA motor, and a 800 2s or 500 3S. The RX/ESC and servos are off a stripped out PZ Piper Cub that met a tragic end. It should liven up the Pico Stick a bit
Old 11-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

What sorts of props are you all using? I like GWS 9x7s's for most of my stuff because all my motors spin them well and they generate LOADS of thrust at ~13,000 rpms... How come no one has yet invented a wooden slow flyer prop? Why can't I seem to find any CF props? Do they exist?

Tam- In regard to your motor-swapping speed, I think I got you beat. I have a mount for each motor and since I run (mostly) 10mm stick mounts I undo 1 screw, take off the old, put on the new, and BAM! instant motor switch! I'm happy to see this thread back, too because no one seemed to care about the Stick several weeks ago when I was trolling the old threads and came across this one. How many pages have we added since then, I wonder?
Old 11-08-2008, 08:27 AM
BarryReade

Got home last night around 7 pm. I had all the boxes I shipped from California waiting for me I thought. Opened them all and I was missing one box. Yeo, you guessed it it, the one with mycharger, batteries, tools and everything I need. I don't remember if Fedex delivers on Saturday. I suspect not. Hopefully it will arrive Mon or Tues. When I ordered my new wing for the SS I didn't get any hardware with it so I had to order the aluminum tubes for the dihedral, and the fiberglass rods that go in the tubes for the leading and trailing edge. Trying to relate motor kv to actual power. TP13 mentioned his kv on his BLOR (brushless outrunner)was considerably higher than the ones on the motors I ordered. It should be interesting to fly the ole SS with each motor and compare the two. I finally located some GWS 10x6 HD (hyper Drive) props. Hard to find, actually from what I have read they are about a 5 pitch instead of a 6. Got two sets of X gear and should be up and flying by the end of next week.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:30 PM
tam popo

Teenage Pilot - loads of interest now on here, a good thing eh??

MR M - I think TP13 means 13000 revs/minute, as opposed to the KV rev figure.

Props: Why GWS props when there are so many better types of SF (SlowFlyer) props available. I've used APC for ages but now buy and use APC Clones at 1/2 price. And I personally wouldn't even think about epoxying/CA broken props......'Das is nicht seyhr gut, Ya????'
Old 11-08-2008, 04:27 PM
BarryReade

Tam popo, several folks have recommended the GWS HD props and I have noticed several motor tests with them. I went to the LHS today and lo and behold they were haviong a swap meet in front of their store. I bought a plane. Yea, I know, it is a Mini Ultra Stick. It came with a new extra fuselage, servos, AR6000 receiver, servos, esc/bec, and an Extreme Flight 2830T BL motor. All I have to do is put in a batt pack, bind the receiver to my DX7 and fly. Hmmm, I would have never thought the day would have come to buy a plane ready to fly.[:-] Fedex didn't deliver today, come on Monday. I talked to a lot of guys who fly electrics in the area. They seem to be the maverick crowd. My kind of guys!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:38 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Marauder, I balance my props. I have one of those $4 deals and that helped, then I lost my sanity and bought a heli, which in turn led to a magnetic balancer. It is really noticable on my bug, but couldn't hurt a slow stick. It should help with motor longevity and increase your power a little. As for the GWS HD props, well that's what came on my Bug, a 10x6 to be exact. My texan has a 10x6 also, the tex is not a particularly aerobatic plane but the bug most certainly is. If you can find the HD prop your looking for it's a great option for the money, then comes e-flite props they fly like a cross between a gws slow flier prop and an hd prop. Then comes APC. I have all three companies on my planes. I have found that APC props need to be kept balanced.

TP my other bag of gws HD props are 9x7's. Have you checked master air screw? My next, probably, upgrade will be for the micro cessna and will include cf props.

I hope that's helpful.

Tim
Old 11-08-2008, 08:15 PM
BarryReade

Tim, thanks for the input. You validated what I was suspecting I needed to do . Tell me more about the magnetic prop balancers and which one you recommend. I suspect I will need a variety of props both in size and blade design. It will take me a while to wade through it but I will get there. I have at least two flying sites to check out tomorrow and I need to check out the new bird and get ready to put the SS back together and get flying.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:17 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

yeah guys just got some cool arial video from the slow stick and my cell phone. i tried to load it to the computer but it wont load my new 4g micro card . so ill try to get a nother shot with my smaller card that i know will load .

btw i have a mini telemaster comeing and will start that build next week . ill start a new thread for it since there are not much on that plane on here
Old 11-13-2008, 06:46 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

good news i finally got it to work ill have a link up soon for the video

here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Sd7h2hqdw mite wont to turn the sound down its a little load
Old 11-13-2008, 07:01 PM
tam popo

DragonMan - you're a Madman, man!!!! Brilliant vid and does that SS shift upwards - I'm amazed how good the picture was, and the flying. I would never fly over houses here in Glasgow - if they had guns they would shoot me down!!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 07:07 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

what do you main by shift upward . i thank the cam is only a 1.3 mpix . most of the people that live around me thank its cool [8D]
Old 11-13-2008, 10:17 PM
BarryReade

I flew in a new field today. It is a park set up with 6 soccer fields in series. Yes there are night lights and I hit one today and ended up going in. I broke a prop and slipped off the right side of my X gear. The carbon fiber struts came out of the upper bracket. Made the repairs and went back out later and flew about 30 min. Tomorrow I will try and fit my new BLOR motor on and test it out.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:26 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

i also fly at a park that has 8 small , 4 full size soccer fields and two foot ball end to end . and 4 baseball . and i use a 1acre black top parking lot for a runway . ill try to get some airial video of it
Old 11-14-2008, 07:15 AM
BarryReade

I see all the video's and need to check out my camera and have the wife take some so I can post. With my big wheels the SS lands really well on the soccer field compared to the dirt road we used in California.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:53 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Marauder, my balancer is from top flight. I use it for my big heli, which I have yet to fly and on all my planes. I can't use it for my MCX. I don't know if I explained it well but I'll try again. The GWS slow flyer props flex forward a lot in flight so balancing is only semi helpful. If you go to a GWS hd prop Or an APC or better prop then balancing is helpful. On a Slow Stick, even my SSX, the value is diminished by the size of the wing. But if you are flying just about anything else you'll see the benefits immediately. I balanced prop will also lengthen the life of your motor. Mine cost $25, but I think it has saved me on several maidens. And taken an unknown out of the equation. Here's mine, the price has gone down. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHY61&P=ML

Tim
Old 11-25-2008, 03:49 PM
tam popo

Just a few pics guys of aternative wings for windy days!!!! And my (almost) finished Pico TMoth. Oh, and the Moller flying Car (its real).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Df74227.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1078852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln99991.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1078853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx46261.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1078854  
Old 11-25-2008, 05:13 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

hey tam popo could you post a closeup of your mount for the e-maxx motor
Old 11-26-2008, 06:29 AM
tam popo

DragonMan - here's the link - I use about 3 different similar types in plastic or alloy.
http://www.b*********.co.uk/?page=sh...ditem&item=810 .......and they are cheap.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:00 AM
kcmoo97

I don't know about any of you,but I think most if not all of us R C'ers (me too)are lucky to live in times of micro El.Dosn't any body just fly any more...? Ok mods are fun. But just go out and fly and try to think of how it was when we only had rudder only. Try it on your ss some time.Just put it up,put your moter at 1/2 or so and fly with just your rudder.Want to land? Kill your moter and just use your rudder! It will make you a better pilot. Good luck!!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Hahaha, flying with only rudder is an enjoyable experience that I don't want to relive EVER again. I swear there was ZERO wind but whaddaya know? As soon as I realized that single-channel flight was REALLY hard I was on my way with the wind towards the lake. But, the strangely determined pilot I am got the stick back within 200' and then I cracked and fired up the other 2 channels... Almost lost that one though! (That idea originally came to me after reading an article in Model Airplane News on the single-channel subject)

Tam- Nice flying car. Ya know, here in the States, those have been around since the 20s. They're advertised in science magazines and tabloids everywhere so they HAVE to be 100% real, but I still want to see one in person that actually works.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.