Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

stryker f27c servo fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:29 PM
fishfartus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stryker f27c servo fix

Ok... right up front... this is my first post and I am a complete newbie. The 27c was my first RC airplane... yea .. yea... yea... I know " The 27c is for advanced RC enthusiast".

I said "screw that... I catch on fast" Well... after several failed launches, 5 glue jobs on the nose, and putting gears into a servo, I have managed to do a pretty fair job. You guys are right... these things are tough. Mine looks pretty crappy now, but I plan on flying it until it wont fly anymore, then buy a new body and do a rebuild like so many posts have recommended. I am not in the need to make it go faster yet as I find the stock setup to go plenty fast for me... maybe later.

So it seems that every time I crash, I fry servo gears. Does anyone know if there are stronger gears available, or recommend a new servo to drop in? I am sure I have a few crashes left in me before I get this whole thing under control. If I could only stop shaking while I fly I would probably be fine. I get so nerved up! Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 PM
3DSAVAGE

Default RE: stryker f27c servo fix

Welcome to the forums dude!!![sm=bananahead.gif][sm=cool.gif][sm=punching.gif]
i would use hitec servos in the stryker cause they're super durable, precise, and relativly cheap. use hs 86, or something that fits the size of the old servos that has mp gears. they wont strip or wear out, trust me, i know. if you need any more help with anything else, pm me and i'll help you dude. hope you have fun with that stykr!
Old 03-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

The pretty much standard replacement servo for the Strykers was the Hitec 81, if you flew as we called them Dark Side versions, most switched to the Hitec 81MG (metal geared).

The 81's have now been replaced by Hitec with the 82 versions.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:37 AM
fishfartus

Thanks a bunch. Have you ever experienced an issue where the stryker has a mid air convulsion with a servo causing a spiraling nose dive. Even when I bench test it i notice that after about 3-4 minutes with the tx on and battery in, one or both of my servos goes spastic and runs full stroke for about 2-3 seconds. I am not sure if I have a bad rx, tx, or servo. I am getting tired of the repairs, expecially when I did nothing wrong. I can handle crashing when it is my fault, but when the electronics freek out it kinda ticks me off. Does ParkZone use cheap stuff? Should I join the Dark Side?[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 03-16-2008, 12:05 PM
patnchris

My Stryker C has about 30 flights on it. I had one servo that was stripped, right out of the box.....Since then I have replaced 2 more. This morning I heard the tell tale Click, click, click in flight. I brought it down, and checked it out...Sure enough, another stripped servo......Well.....No more....I have two brand new HS-81 MG's sitting on the bench that will be installed this week......
I've owned several ParkZone/HobbyZone planes......Honestly, the old 5 wire servo's were pretty darned tough. When they started using 3 wire servo's that were compatible with standard radios, etc. they seem to have gone to carp. The weird thing is that I disassembled one to put new gears in it and examined the old gears. I couldn't find anything wrong with the old ones. I installed the new ones and got 6 more flights and then that one started to skip. I replaced the whole servo and got about 10 flights on the new one and now it's skipping. I took it apart and all the teeth were intact. I'm thinking that they may have a QC problem with the cases.....JMHO...Pat
Old 03-16-2008, 01:08 PM
fishfartus

That is the same problem I am having. I dont find any stipped gears, and they only last a couple of flights... or less in case of a hard (crash) landing! [:'(]

Do you need to add extensions on the new servos to make them fit, or can you order them with long leads, or just make up your own leads? It seems that the deeper you get into this hobby, the more creative you have to get. I guess that is part of the fun.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:58 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

fishfartus:

Right off, love your style son!! Bottom line is, most of the gear sold in a package with the airframe is supplied as cheaply as possible, with some exceptions which the F27c is not. Gear gets you into the air and performs fairly well. At some point in time you figure out there is much better gear out there, but of course at a price. Do you enjoy RC and probably will stay into it for a while? If so, start looking for, for a bedtter term, standard equipment. Thats a 6 to 9 channel Fatuba/Jr/Hitec transmitter with computer ability, ie, expodential, dural rates, electronic trim etc. There is some older stuff out there available for less than 1/2 new price. Buy from a local club member if possible. Lots of very good used stuff out there with the new 2.4 radios coming on line. Instruction book must come with it.

Yes, the receiver you are rinning is probably hirting from crashes and will dump soon. Receivers and servos are not bullet proof. Some cost effective ones are the Hitec Electron 6, and Burg 6 that you can also use in the larger birds. The Fatuba and JR small receivers are fine also when full range. Yea, I fly a couple GWS $25.00 receivers in foamys, but is stay in close, they tend to glitch over 30yards out, and not a good buy for your better birds, but ok for your experimetal short life stuff.

At some point you will have to buy decent motors, controllers, batteries and chargers. It gets very expensive if you have no idea what is good and what just works a little. Read a bunch at Red Schoefields "Battery clinic", best source of unbiased information and testilng on the stuff I know of. There may be others. The electric forum is a great place to learn cost effecively, who knows, a angle may put you under the wing.

This hobby is flat full of outstanding great people who enjoy helping others with very few wanna-be's mixed in. Learn from tham as much as you can, sill save you a lot of grief and money and make the hobby so much more fun. I rant!! ENJOY
Old 03-17-2008, 12:53 AM
sportrider_fz6

I had two replace my servos this weekend, after a rough landing I stripped a gear in the stock parkzone servo. I went to the hobby shop where I was (not my normal one) and they didn't carry parkzone. so I thought I'd get the HS81 servo's but they didn't have any so not ready to put away the stryker for the weekend I bought some CIRRUS CS-301 micro servos for $10.00 each and installed them. I had to use servo tape because they are a little smaller then the parkzone servos. but they seem to work well. I had one cartwheel landing that would have ate the gears of the PZK1061 but these held up just fine. if these ones go I'm going to get the HS81 and be done with it.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:55 PM
fishfartus

I ordered 4 sets of replacement servo gears from hobby zone for about $2.50 per set. I figured I better have some extra since they are so bad and i have not made the committment to go with the 81's. Took the old beat-up stryker out for a spin at noon and had what I would call my first fully successcul flight--- NO GLUE REQUIRED -- I even had a crazy swirling wind to contend with. I guess lady luck was with me cause it got a little wild. As soon as I feel proficient at this machine, I plan to get a new body and tweek the electronics a bit, although some of the mods on the dark side are still a bit too much for me... i mean... 80+ mph is pretty darn fast. These things are a hoot and so easy to fix. I am kind of glad I started with this model, because I think the fixes for any other acrobatic model would have got really expensive. I think mine has 5 or 6 ounces of glue on it by now... kinda suprised is still flies. It may be a little unstable, but I figure it will make me better once I have a new one that is more ballanced.

Thanks for all the great advice.. this forum is awesome!!!

Old 05-19-2008, 03:52 AM
snappa

you know something, I have had EXACTLY the same issue with stryker servos but its an insidious problem, what hobby show will belive they were faulty from the start? most would think you stripped them in a crash but mine chattered from the start then started failing in flight..... looking at the gears with a magnifying glass they looked fine so a case issue? not happy in a way as they ask good money for this model and I expected good servos and electronics in the "peice of foam" they call a stryker......$NZ400 here in New Zealand!!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:57 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Just buy a new body. Only $20. That's what is so great about this awesome plane.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:21 PM
iamman711

Hi all,

my newly installed HS-82MG servos buzz right out of the box. like in this youtube video: [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZcEnjn49WY[/link]

They jitter too, even without transmitter input. What's wrong.. I am sad. I realized this after I installed them and made everything nice.

Anyway, any help would be great.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Buzzing from a servo is normally caused by a load being applied to them. You need to check for binds in your linkages. If the control rod is not 90 degrees to the servo arm, that twist pulls on the servo giving you that noise.

Jitters is a sign of radio interference, could be comething as simple as the rx antenna running too close to servo wires. Or esc or it's leads to close to the rx. or even a broken antenna lead.

Bad crystal in the rx could also cause this. Servo lead routing can cause problems also.

Weak Tx battery can do this too.

I've even had systems act up because of interference from flouresent lamps in my shop.

The servo buzzing should be a quick fix, the twitching may take a little longer to diagnose.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:26 PM
fishfartus

Well... I wasn't sure whether to post a new thread or carry this one forward. I guess I made my choice. Built a new bird as described in this forum on building a bulletproof stryker. I used the carbon tubes and the extreme tape, but didn't get too crazy with the hatches as described. Of course you have probably figured out that I must have had a severe crash to force me into this ... and the answer is ahhh...... YUP!!!!

I stuck in the HS 82MG servos and a new receiver since the crash severed the antena wire on the original. I just replace it with the stock reciver, because I wasn't sure what else to do. What forced all of this is my motor kept quitting mid flight. I thought it was a bad ESC as i flew it in a light rain one day and thats when it all started happening. I replaced the ESC on my new build and took it for a test flight today. Same thing, except now I am pretty sure that I am loosing signal to everything. Before I blamed it on the cheap servos and plastic gears. So I have pretty well narrowed it down to the radio transmitter (since everything else is new). I have been using the Parkzone OEM transmitter since I got this RTF bird at Christmas. I can see that it is time to upgrade.

If I buy a JR 6 channel TX (JR S600), will it work with my Parkzone RX? I am so new to the radio stuff, that I am not sure how much mix and match you can get away with. I was also considering getting into the JR 7202 Synthesized 7-Channel, but I cant get a read from people here if this is a good idea. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:45 PM
turbotb0205
My Feedback: (31)

from the mouth of horizon tech support.. the parkzone radio with the stryker tx/rx is "Parkzone" shift.. they say "and i believe them" it will not work with any other transmitter "for changing tx keeping rx" or receiver "for changing rx keeping tx" on the market today

and i have the same issue with my stryker as you all.. the servos go spastic it actually cause a crash first nose in at about 45mph "superglue and epoxy works wonders!" and a loss of flight controls that led me to chase the plane and PURPOSELY slam it into a brick wall to keep from hitting children "that by the way from my normal flying pattern at the soccer fields were WELL over 150yards away from me.." the servo went bonkers i chased and corrected then lost the servo again regained it just in time to maneuver for the wall and keep everyone safe

the first time it went in i thought.. i may have taken a small hit.. or tip stall so i repaired and the second incident happened.. i will be ordering a new pair of hs82mg servos and putting one of my hitec receivers in it and running it on my hitec box
Old 09-14-2008, 09:13 PM
fossoman

You had an old post on the F27C stryker and the servo problems you were having Let me ask this what radio equipment are you using the parkzone stuff? Im using a specktrum DX6 and an AR6000 receiver and have never had any problems Ive crashed mine plenty. Still got the original servos though Im about to retire them. Ive never had any problems at all with the servos. I know the stock servos are not the highest quality. And several of my friends with strykers had there servos go out but I dont fly as agressive as they do.