Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone P51 Brushless upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone P51 Brushless upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:09 PM
jcoops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone P51 Brushless upgrade

Hi all,

Basically I own a standard Parkzone P51 Mustang - I have removed all the standard equipment - fitted complete 2.4ghz setup ready for a brushless motor!

Problem I cant find a brushless motor to fit the standard motor mount, has anyone done a Brushless motor upgrade on this plane? If so I would love to know if there is a motor that fits straight into the original mounting or if someone has done something else?

I hope someone else has done this already

Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-02-2008, 12:03 PM
johnpcunningham

Default RE: Parkzone P51 Brushless upgrade

I did this with an AXI motor (outrunner) and an inrunner.

INRUNNER
I took a 480 size brushless motor form the F-27 Stryker and installed it in the original motor gearbox. Tower Hobbies sells a 12 tooth gear the will fit on the shaft. I forgot the part number but is is somewhere on this forum. I think it is LXEX10. You need to use a dremmel and grind out the inner lip in the plastic motor housing (where the motor goes in) so the motor will actually fit in. Other than that, pretty straight forward.

OUTRUNNER
This is actually the best set up but requires a little more fabrication on your part. You can use just about any outrunner in the 900kv to 1200kv range with a size of 35mm in diamater and 36 to 50mm in length.
You need to use some basswood or plywood to build a motor mount. Attach the motor to the wood, then attach the wood to the fuse. I took the plastic motor mount from a Corsair and mounted it to the wood.
The trick is to get everything lined up so the prop shaft is fairly centered where the original one came out. Drill some small holes into the plastic frame to attach the cowl, or simply use a hot glue gun to put it on.

JC
Old 12-06-2008, 06:06 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

I still have no idea why they won't just release a brushless Z-foam 4ch version of the plane. I guess because of the economy.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:40 AM
jcoops

Thanks johnpcunningham!

I am going down the route of using the original gearbox and mount, but I do have a question: I already have an Outrunner Ripmax Xtra 2829/13 which fits in the original mount with a slight mod, will this motor work with the gearbox do you know? As far as I can see the Inrunner motors have a higher rating and that is about it!

I understand about making a new base and mount for the Outrunner, but would like to use this engine with the original gearbox and keep the plane looking original. Let me know if you think I will run into any problems

Thanks again for the advice.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:20 AM
johnpcunningham

You do need the 12T gear. I'm not sure what the result would be going through the gearbox-outrunner combination. That motor is a 970kv motor and is fairly small. I don't think you will get much of a performace jump
due to its size. May get longer flight times. I think you would be better with an inrunner setup if you are going to use the gearbox. Get one appx the same size as the original. E-flight makes a SIX series, go with the
2200kv. Or try something from Hacker or a Turnigy.

JC
Old 12-12-2008, 06:41 PM
moparmyway

E-Flite 6 series is eithor 2700kv or 2000 kv................................facts man, just facts
Old 12-14-2008, 09:59 AM
johnpcunningham

Ok, either is spelled either, not "eithor". Just the facts
Old 12-14-2008, 04:29 PM
jcoops

Ok ok guys!

lol, just a quick update - thanks for the advice and I have now constructed a plywood mount and mounted the outrunner. I am now working on mounting the nose cone to the new APC prop, although I am now thinking of using a folding prop for two reasons: one it will save the prop from accidents + it will look smarter than just the motor poking through the front of the cowling. I will post some pictures up soon of my work in progress, just for reference if anyone else might want to do the same.

Regards

JC
Old 12-14-2008, 06:30 PM
moparmyway

JPC,
YOU were giving advice on kv here,
what do you think some will try to do, go out to LHS and buy a E-Flite 6 series 2200kv motor or go to LHS and purchase the word "eithor"?????????[sm=lol.gif]

JCOOPS,
Plywood mounts RULE, I have done a few myself and they are very versatile, you can mount anything. The folding props are way better than the flexible ones. Cant wait to see the pictures
Old 12-19-2008, 07:47 AM
LICobra

Jcoops.....My vote goes with the inrunner...I used the E-Flite 6 series 2700kv with the stock gearbox....you just have to remove the ridge in the gearbox so the Brushless motor will fit all the way in. All pictures are in the "parkzone p-51 thread".... It was an easy swap and the gear box will take a bit more abuse then the re-mounted outrunner in landing mishaps...Either way which ever brushless motor you use you will have alot more power to go verticle...I also went with the GWS 10x8 4 blade prop.

Moparmyway...where are you on LI...I used to have a White 440 Challenger.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60296.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1092576  
Old 12-22-2008, 06:00 PM
jcoops

Hi people,

Ok need some advice - I am trying to work out what size folding prop to use with the Ripmax Xtra 2829/13. I am using a 10 X 5 APC prop at the moment, but someone said folding props work different! Is there somewhere online I can go to see a cross chart or similar? Or do you guys have a formula
Old 12-24-2008, 05:56 PM
jcoops

Hi again,

Ok went to the park today and it all went wrong, not enough power and tail heavy then a crash . So I am going to go back to using the original gearbox with the motor you have suggested above, only problem is I am having trouble tracking this particular motor down in the UK!

All I want to do is fly this P-51 with a brushless motor lol
Old 12-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Tyler P

I just got a brushless inrunner for my Super Cub. It's 2900kv and is a direct fit. The stock gear drive will take you down somewhere near 970kv, which should work really well for the P51, assuming the stock P51 drive is 3:1. I'm using it with the Turnigy Plush 25A esc, so it should be fine with the stock prop and gearing.

This is the motor:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4197
Old 01-09-2009, 11:19 AM
jismail

I used a PZ f-27c stryker replacment motor in mine. It fits the stock gear box with just a little bit of sanding of a ridge off. Use a 12 tooth pinion or just drill out the stock pinion to fit the shaft. the power combination of the gear box and the stryker motor is impressive and really changes this bird to something special. Using the stock gearbox also keeps the thrust angle correct, and allows for easy re-usage of the cowl mounts too.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:05 PM
tromano32

HI,
I am working on going brushless with my parkzone p51... I had an unused helicopter outrunner 4200kv (Mystery D2627 4200kv Outrunner) motor 180 size maybe.. it has the same motor mounts and same shaft size as the original motor.. I press the old pinion off and use loctite 608 to keep the pinion on the new motor.. so with the gear reduction (takes kv's down to 1400) and added torque of outrunner, I think this thing will have plenty of power on a 3 cell lipo.. I haven't had a chance to test it with a prop because I just don't have a good one right now but everything seems promising.. might have to put a bit smaller prop due to high kv's... hope that helps.. oh btw I didn't have to change out my stock flight gear.. picked up this signal converter that takes esc output voltage and runs it into a little chip that outputs to a 3 wire server hookup which in turn i hook up my brushless speed control too.. eventually I was go all spectrum but this was a cheap option to get going..