Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Millennium rc ssx-trainer with pics personal review

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Millennium rc ssx-trainer with pics personal review

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:49 PM
SGT.SHAGGY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Millennium rc ssx-trainer with pics personal review

Hello everyone,

Here is the story,
I wanted to get my wife more involved in flying so I asked my dad if he was doing anything with his Midwest Giles 202. He said no so I asked if I could have it. I figured it would be the perfect trainer for my wife. I know i know its not a trainer, but the airplane is so easy to fly. So we sent of the enya 1.20 to have it cleaned/and gone through. after getting it back. a month or so passed and it was time to put it in the 202. Well guess what. My father nor I could find it anywhere, and still cant. How you misplace an engine I will never know, but to this day we still can not find it. ( its been 18 months almost) Well after getting "the Look" from my wife every time i went to the field I told my dad that we had to get Rox in the air ( my wife ) well today I put the first flight on her Millennium rc ssx trainer. My father had got it for her about 9 months ago. Now you ask why would I wait 9 months to get it in the air. Well I wanted my wife to be there for its maiden, after all it is her bird. Here is how the maiden went.

It was a total success. Other than the fact that right after take off it appeared as i was hitting some pretty big gust of wind, or that it was out of trim. So i made my circuit and landed. Let me tell you the airplane lands so sweet. I came in a little fast ( as it has been a very long time sense I have flown a trainer style airplane) But its was no problem with the Millennium RC landing gear ( X-gear). after landing a little long I figured that I would have to walk out and get it being that I do not have a tail wheel, but no with a little power and using Hi rates on the rudder I was able to taxi back. ( you have to be careful though) Ill get to that a little later as I will to a full Sgt. Shaggy review

After taxing back I check the flight controls everything seemed to be center so it was back to the air. The wind I could not feel across the football runway but the ssx-T could feel it in the air. By this time several children had showed up asking if they could try, asking how much it cost and such. So making sure they were behind me I made the decision to land this time I came in Hot again, let it go long as I bleed the airspeed back to a crawl for a perfect extra long landing.

Now for my review.

Construction = A+ The millennium SSX-T is very well built. Quality is top notch

Covering = A+ I can honestly say that I have never purchased a Already Covered airplane that has the quality of the SSX, the SSX-T or the Micro SSX biplane as we have all three. You will see for you self in the pictures. ( SSX-T pictured )

Landing gear = A+ The X-gear are very nice, no they are perfect. Very sturdy and well built. As i stated above my first landing was very fast and on a football field. I was expecting a bounce or two but no a perfectly smooth landing with a smooth roll out even though the field had its rough spots. Taxing was a breeze even with out the tail wheel.
with a little power and using hi rates on the rudder I was able to taxi around where ever I wanted to go. Now word of advice to the new pilot or some one who is not familiar with a taildrager , you do not want to much power because the tail will come off the ground and you risk flipping it on its back. If you are an experienced R/Cer have fun with it. You can bring the tail off the ground and cruise back to the pit.

Take off = A+ Just add the power and give a little up elevator and she will ease of the ground. Take off is QUICK though so be ready to back off the power if you are in a smaller park.

Landing =A+ be it a fast or a really slow ( at the point of were you think you could stall) don't worry i could not get it to stall on the approach and I had her SLOW

Flight = A+ slow flight was great and handled very well. As it was its maiden and a little windy I did not try any loops or rolls, but almost had a hover.... is it supposed to ? i don't know but it looked like if it wasn't windy I would have been hanging on the prop. You can fly this in a small area as it turns very well. Recommend Low rates for elevator unless you are very easy on the sticks.
Wind 5+ MPH = C as this is a park flier and very light it does not do to well in the wind ( SSX-Trainer version ) as a trainer you should not be flying it in the wind anyway.
If you are a experienced R/C'er you will have no problem if you are at a large park.

if you have any questions about the airplane feel free to PM me. Oh and the month wait for the maiden well thats because our little bundle of joy Jullian was waiting to join our family.

Tomorrow as long as the wind is low We will be taking the SSX-T, The SSX and the Micro SSX biplane to the park.
Here are the pics

The SSX-T look at the covering job... Just an FYI the color scheme was a custom job that we paid extra for it is not an option through millennium RC. Now this is not to say they would not do a custom scheme, but note that we did pay a bit EXTRA for it as it is my wifes first airplane and we wanted it to be special.

My wife holding the SSX-T Custom and our little bundle of joy.
I hope this was helpful.
again any questions please PM me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77661.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1108007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78664.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1108008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19995.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1108009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75100.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1108010  
Old 01-11-2009, 05:15 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Millennium rc ssx-trainer with pics personal review

Shaggy:

Your dad is probably is in his 70's, its not rare for us very old geisers to set something down in the workroom and can not find it in the next 10 seconds. We load up the gear to go flying, get to the field and volla, no transmitter, wing, fuel, etc. Its very funny when it happens to another club old dog, but not so funny when its you. Trying to beat mother nature is a impossible task where your chances are flat 0. Are you in cometition with your dad? Its very common, but I hope not. My 45 year old son is obsessed with beating Dads records first in go-cart racing, now dirt bike racing. Yes we have the same genes, etc. but not the same life experiences. He is extreemly fast for three laps, but think I could still beat him at the end of the normal 10 lap race. I know from life experience that I can hold on for just another lap, then one more again, one more again until finished. Like running and finding your second wind. Do that every morning for two years and it comes to you because you know its there, all you have to do is make that next couple of steps, next couple, next couple. Yes, he is a better rider on a better bike. No he will never beat dad's racing records just cause that mean nasty keep going or die attitude and experience may not be there. Oh yes, we also have a tendency to rant on and on and on. Love and respect him while here, and know he would give his life for you in a moment without hesitation. ENJOY
Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 PM
SGT.SHAGGY

ORIGINAL: rmenke

Shaggy:

Your dad is probably is in his 70's, its not rare for us very old geisers to set something down in the workroom and can not find it in the next 10 seconds. We load up the gear to go flying, get to the field and volla, no transmitter, wing, fuel, etc. Its very funny when it happens to another club old dog, but not so funny when its you. Trying to beat mother nature is a impossible task where your chances are flat 0. Are you in cometition with your dad? Its very common, but I hope not. My 45 year old son is obsessed with beating Dads records first in go-cart racing, now dirt bike racing. Yes we have the same genes, etc. but not the same life experiences. He is extreemly fast for three laps, but think I could still beat him at the end of the normal 10 lap race. I know from life experience that I can hold on for just another lap, then one more again, one more again until finished. Like running and finding your second wind. Do that every morning for two years and it comes to you because you know its there, all you have to do is make that next couple of steps, next couple, next couple. Yes, he is a better rider on a better bike. No he will never beat dad's racing records just cause that mean nasty keep going or die attitude and experience may not be there. Oh yes, we also have a tendency to rant on and on and on. Love and respect him while here, and know he would give his life for you in a moment without hesitation. ENJOY

lol its funny you said that, No dads not in his 70's yet but we went to the field yesterday to put a few flights on his Stinger. has a sato twin 300. and i took out some of my electrics and he was going to bring his. He asked me to get his f-27 out of the van, then followed by a quick OH (*&%$^ i left it on top of the van..... LOL lucky for him a few kids found it by the house and returned it
Old 01-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Spid

Nice plane Sgt. Shaggy. Nice choice on the transparent covering. One of the great features about the Millennium RC planes is the rib-work structure, etc... Transparent covering really shows it off well. I have the Micro SSX Bi-Plane. Again, nice choice on the custom covering job they did for you. Here are some pics of mine (I did the covering transparent red on the tops, transparent white on the bottoms).

Thanks,
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34402.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1109467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65807.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1109468  
Old 01-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Lynn1953

I love stiks and I think the SSX looks great and I plan to get one. What is you power package?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:49 AM
SGT.SHAGGY

Its the standerd trainer pkg that they offer with the ssx-t

\The bipe looks greak mine is all trans red. Do you have the indoor motor set up ur the outdoor.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Spid

ORIGINAL: SGT.SHAGGY

The bipe looks greak mine is all trans red. Do you have the indoor motor set up ur the outdoor.
Thanks Sgt. Outdoor motor setup for me.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:43 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have enjoyed my SLOW STICK-X eveytime I head out with it to my flying field and James allowed me to pick mine's up from his house here locally in Waterford Lakes, Orlando, Florida about over 3 years ago!

I built it very light using the light Aluminum Square tube and using all GWS gear including the light SLOW STICK main landing gear along with the tail wheel assembly.

Earlier this year and completely my fault, I was HOT DOGGING my skills and lost concentration for a split second during a roll manuver close to the ground and coming towards the Pilots Station at my RC Club that ended my flying session in a very Ugly like manner into the Separation Fence "Security" fence right in front of me. Needless to say the Right Wing sustained damage to the Leading edge and I collected all the parts and placed em in my camera case for safe keeping!

Would you believe that after 8 months later and last night I finally did an ALL NIGHTER and finally repaired my SLOW STICK-X. It was slow as this is Balsa and light covering but, I managed to piece together the damaged Right wing leading edge and other ribs that cracked along with some alternative color covering. James a few months ago offered to provide me the same translucent covering but, I forgot how to get to his house and calling him lately is not possible as he does not have Voice Mail.[]

I am very pleased in the results as the model is back in flying condition. I have the steerable tail wheel assembly that James market via the Hobby Stores and the RED one I got from GRAVES RC some time ago.

Pictures to follow soon!
Carlos[8D]
Old 11-21-2010, 03:32 PM
guapoman2000

Oh, just some background on my SLOW STICK-X:

Powered by ASTRO FLIGHT 010, 14-Turn Inrunner and mounted in the GWS plastic Gearbox (EPS-300/350) using the pinion gear and spurr gear to make for 3.75:1 ratio which allows to swing a large E-Flite 12 X 6 but, I like using the E-Flite 11 X 7 Slow Flyer Propeller. The ESC is a specially made for ASTRO FLIGHT by Castle Creations 10-AMP and has quick disconnect connectors between motor and ESC.

The servos are GWS STD Narrow and Receiver is a Castle Creations BERG 4-Channel lite.

However, for aileron control I use the HITEC HS81MG (Metal Gear).

I use nothing larger than 3-Cell, 1300mAH, 20C / 25C, Li-POLYs and my total Flight Ready Weight is right at 17oz.

Some Pictures of my Leading Edge Repairs!

Old 11-25-2010, 03:25 PM
guapoman2000

Oh Wow!

Thanksgiving morning produced the best weather conditions in Central Florida since I can recall. Totally Dead Calm and dark Blue skys!!

I flew my Slow Stick-X for 3 long flights and tried those new batteries I got from Hobby-Lobby last week during their Blow Out sale on Wednesday!

Slow Stick-X flew perfect!!

Some Pictures!

Old 11-25-2010, 08:33 PM
guapoman2000

My maiden Video when my SLOW STICK-X was new.......memories......

Oh by the way in the Part #1 Video you can see James Karpy, the designer of the SLOW STICK-X:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyxGQUvC8_Q[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vriwDmYvtPA&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 07-02-2020, 08:02 PM
guapoman2000

Exclamation

My Lord, it has been almost 10 long years and my Slow Stick-X using GWS Slow Stick Parts has survived!

I recently flew it about a week ago (during the weekend) at my RC Club using a HIMAX Inrunner Brushless with the HIMAX gearbox. The issue was I could not keep the propeller on the output gearbox shaft.

I came to a complete circle of sorts and found my original ASTRO FLIGHT mightly mirco 010 14-turn inrunner brushless and found a GWS EPS-300/350 gearbox and installed the GWS "B" Spur gear which makes 4.43:1 reduction.

Placed a GWS Slow Flyer (Orange Propeller) EP9070 which is a 9 X 7 propeller.

Performed numerous repairs on the wing and from a previous crash that occurred over 10 years ago and recorded right here!

Experimenting with the HIMAX Inrunner with HIMAX gearbox.

Just could not keep the propeller on the Gearbox output shaft.

Bending the original Aluminum 10mm X 10mm square tube from previous crashes!

Repaired the Plastic Frontal Wing brace!

Small piece cut-out from spare replacement part for the Frontal Wing Brace and rubber band hold point.

Spare GWS Part from the bin drawer.

The best Glue!

Clamping and allowing it to cure! I did glue in an additional piece for the edge lip.

All complete!

Aluminum Post stay for rubber bands.

Close up.

Making a template from a Prototype wing that Mr. Karpy gave me years ago.

Making support rib.

Complete!

After trimming a little more, finally glued in.

The best cleaner.

The Slow Stick-X was brought back to life and shinny again!

Nice and Clean.

Last edited by guapoman2000; 07-02-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:09 AM
guapoman2000

Default Slow Stick-X Watt / AMPs / Volts Measurement with Astro Flight 010 14-Turn

Guys,

Here is the Watts / AMPs / Volts measurement session.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:15 AM
guapoman2000

Default Aluminum Extender Posts for Rubber Band Securing

Guys,

Wanted to give credit to James Karpy as he was the one who gave us all the tip on the Aluminum Extender Posts for Rubber Band Securing.....

Here is his post from Feb. 25th, 2007 over at RCG's

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...64&postcount=9