Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Pizza Box Flyer

Old 01-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pizza Box Flyer

Ok, well, I just gave my new PBF its first test flight (no official maiden flight yet). I saw a single pic posted by Microbuilder and figured, "Eh, it looks simple enough!" So I went and bought a sheet each of 3- and 5mm Depron and cut the thicker one in half and glued the halves together at their edges after cutting notches in one edge for a vertical stab/rudder and corresponding grooves in the stab. I glued it in. I cut off the ends of the square (actually a very very vague rectangle) and turned them into elevons. Then I glued a long piece of hard, strong, 10mm square wood (not sure what kind) to the underside of the fuse/wing to act as a stiffener/motor mount. The last step was to install electronics and a power system.

That's exactly where I have problems.

I canniballized my Slow Stick for its motor, ESC, servos, and rx, then attacked my Axe CP for a rudder servo. After a day and a half of searching for my 1.5mm hex wrench (finally found behind the piano) I put in my linkages (at 11:00 last night) and tested it out. My S400 radio has v-tail mixing but not elevon, so I've got my ailerons and rudder switched around. It's confusing but I'll get the hang of it. Maybe.

The setup: (if you spend a lot of time on the Badius or Slow Stick threads you may want to skip this )

BL outrunner, 1850 Kv 140W
Electrifly Silver Series 25A ESC
2x JR tiny servos (SM15?)
1x Axe CP servo
JR RS6UL receiver
Thunder Power 950mAh 3S batt
GWS 9x7 prop

The test flight conditions: -2*F, snowy, too windy for my Yak (which handles wind well)

The flight report: So I got outside, fired up the S400, plugged in the batt, and did a range check before arming the throttle mostly because I didn't want to have to chase down a plane in this weather. I fed in some throttle, realized in a second that the wind was going 2 different directions, then watched as my creation hopped up off the ground. I immediately tested the "rudder" which was actually the ailerons and found that they serve very well to turn. The rudder was responsive as well. Now, with a plane like this, the wind can grab it very easily. It ended up in the snow on its back, but at least it didn't hit the street[:@] The water is drying out right now. Nothing lost, nothing broked, nothing damaged. I'm happy.

All in all, I'm very impressed with my spur-of-the-moment build. I see a few more possibly coming, as the total material cost was under $10 This is probably going to be my much-awaited FYF (Front Yard Flyer) if I don't kill it with snow first

Old 01-14-2009, 05:52 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

Default RE: Pizza Box Flyer

sounds intresting, any chance of getting us some pics of it?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Disclaimer: My camera was invented by Leonardo DaVinci and constructed in a Mack truck factory. These pics are the best it can do on 3 half-dead AAAs. With fresh ones it actually works ok...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78867.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1113609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny27317.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	1113610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki79235.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	1113611  
Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 PM
ChuckTheMachine

that can't fly you idiot it doesn't have any wings. its not a airplane i want a real airplane not this kind of trash
Old 01-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Edited for direct correspondence to a reply which has been deleted.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:18 PM
aquaflight

You might want to check out a Micro version of a PBF for the warmer indoors.
As for me, I'm enjoying my new Vapor. Cheers ... A F.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...or+height+loop

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...por-RTF-Hi.wmv
Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Micros? Bah! This one has a 2-foot loop radius. I can fly it anywhere. High-alpha would make it even easier!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 PM
ChuckTheMachine

TeenagePilot13. sorry about what i said. maybe i should get 2 know this stuff more before i go saying stuff like that. i got a msg that said my post got removed. i'll remember to keep my head strate next time i see something like this and not flame u. sorry.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Man, I leave for dinner, come back, and suddenly all is clear.... Chuck, all is forgiven. I'll go edit my edited post now to accomodate for the recent situational developement.

It's actually funny this should come up now. I just had a little issue with this same type of thing on the Badius thread. BTW, now that I think of it, you should go there for guidance with this new hobby.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:45 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

nice build teenage, now im going to ask for more than just a pic. lets see a video, lol see how it turns out with the dead batts! j/k. a pic of it next to the controller would be nice though, give an ideal of its size. chris
Old 01-19-2009, 10:50 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Nice box flyer.

Here is a similar design. Great for backyard flying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AjKn...e=channel_page

Old 01-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Alright, got pics. The lighting was bad though so the quality's not much better. I included some with my Slow Stick (36" WS) for reference. You can also see the high-tech method I use to hold my lipo into the tx Also, the pic of the street is the intersection where I fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13310.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1114623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90424.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1114624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29645.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1114625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84486.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1114626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi62763.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1114627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs12691.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1114628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik89891.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1114629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu71148.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1114630  

Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

oh ok, so its not incredibly huge. looks as though it has about half the wingspan of the slo-v, maybe less. i was joking before about a video but im curious to see it in action now. what are you using for electronics in it? im also trying to think of a way to use my slo-v electronics in a custom built plane but it only supports v-tail mixing for controls. anyone know of a way of using the stock electronics as a t-tail flier? chris
Old 01-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Sorry about the lack of specs. I had typed 'em all up but I got a stupid timed-out message. On 48000bps dial-up that's a BIG thing. Pics took 10 minutes to upload[:@]

Specs (official and verified)

Wingspan: 20.00"
Length: 17.4999999"
Motor: Bell/CD ROM-type 1850kv 130W BL/OR
ESC: 25A
Batt: Thunder Power 910mAh 3S 16C cont. 24C burst
Prop: GWS 9x7 (orange, if you care)
Radio: JR S400UL 4ch 72mhz, low band, channel 25
Receiver: JR RS6UL
Servos: 2x JR SM15, 1x Axe CP cyclic servo
Weight: I guess I should weigh it, eh?
Landing gear: 3/4" GWS plastic wheels/foam-rubber tires
Trim tape: Painter's masking tape
Hinge material: Packing tape
Foam: Main part 5mm sheet, paper still attached/ Tail 3mm sheet, paper incl.
Motor mount: 10mm wood stick, 12" long/ glued to fuse
Pushrod material: 2mm (inches?) music wire
LG material: 2mm music wire
Servo arms: GP FlatOuts hardware for elevons, stock for rudder
Control horns: Elevons=GP FlatOuts horns, rudder= GWS clear plastic
Prop rubber bands: The small kind...
Flight speed: 2 to 30+mph
Roll rate: too fast
Loop radius @ half throttle: 3'

Overall rating: 9.997 out of 10

If I've forgotten any vital info, please tell me
Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 PM
ChuckTheMachine

thats cool How did u built that. what do al the numbers mean where it says motor and batt. i think a batt is a battery right? so u just bout the parts and made the airplane? and u can fly it in ur front yard? i think ill get one of these and a supercub for parks that way i can fly more lol do you really mean it can go 2 miles per hour. and can it really go 30 miles per hour? thats fast. how do u fly it in ur front yard that fast and how do u make it go faster r slower?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:43 PM
lehrscott4

Im using my stock slo-v electronics in my t-tail slow stick. All i did was attach the pushrods to where they run the proper control. U know right stick left/right to rudder and up/down to elevator. The pushrods are kinda crossed and rub a little but it seems to work great. I guess if you wanted, you could swap the servos positions and the pushrods would line up. I crashed my slo-v beyond repair and didnt really like the v-tail to begin with, so i bought the slow stick kit with hopes, and it works wonderfully!
Old 01-21-2009, 03:16 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

lehrscott, how did you manage to use the slo-v electronics in a t-tail flier? i also have a slo-v that i wanted to build into a t-tail flier, but when giving inputs such as rudder both servos move, and also the same with elevator. i dont see how you are using it for rudder control when it would be giving elevator at the same time. so if you modified it somehow or have your servos wired diffrently please post whatever info you have. i to crashed the slo-v beyond repair. had it up over 900 feet when a gust of wind decided to fold the wing in half, chris
Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 AM
lehrscott4

You know, you are right. Its been a few years and now i remember that i had burned up the original rx by trying to use a lipo and after i got the replacement it started acting up and only one servo would respond to each control input. I dont know why it did that but, then i got a slow stick kit and used the wing and tail on the existing slo-v. I will check today and see if i can figure out why it is working this way.