Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

parkzone trojan teardown report

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

parkzone trojan teardown report

Old 01-17-2009, 12:53 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parkzone trojan teardown report

last night i decided to teardown the trojan and settle any issues if heard of and check for possible others. thought id post the info here for the rest of you to use. first i removed the wing and elevator to make it easier to work on. i then removed the motor and motor mount. i was going to build up the strength of the motor mount at first but thought of the post where people were talking about the aluminum motor mount not being good because it damages other things. so the motor mount was left as is. after getting the motor off i gently pull on the plastic firewall taking my time, until i got it off. once it was off i started working on the broke part of the firewall associated with the nose gear. after having it off i noticed a crack in the white piece that the nose gear slides into. i super glued it and let it sit and dry for the remainder of the teardown. while i was taking the firewall off i spotted something else, the larger diameter sleeve that is in the push rod for the nose gear was rubbing on the foam on several locations, and seemed to have a significant amount of pressure on it. another thing i noticed is that the rubbery glue used by the factory to hold esc in place had dripped down onto the pushrod sleeve for the nose gear as well. these 2 things to me seem to be the reason why i have been hearing a humming nose from coming from my rudder servo. i cleaned all the glue off of the pushrod and around it, and also removed the sleeve from the pushrod. theres 3 reasons why i removed the sleeve, 1 is because it made the daimeter of the pushrod larger and was causing tension in certain areas, 2 is because i believe that without it on the pushrod, if i do have a mis hap while landing the pushrod alone will be more likely to flex and possibly help reduce any further damage, and 3 is because i couldnt easily make bends to the pushrod with the sleeve in place. the bends i made were very slight but enough so that the pushrod now doesnt make contact with any areas of the foam.( i also found after finishing the teardown and when everything was back together my rudder servo now makes no noise.) next i removed the esc and cleaned all the glue off of the top side of it as it had a large amount of glue on it, enough that i couldnt read the label. i figure removing that amount of glue would help wit hcooling as the air can actually flow over the surace of it rather than the glue. the 3rd issue i tackled was the problem with the rudder and elevator servos popping out. so i unplugged them from the rx, and pulled them out. to my surprise i found they were very simple to pull out. odd how where theres an abundance of glue on the esc, theres a lack of it on the servos. after removing them from the plane i cleaned all the glue from them and from the cavity where they sit. i then put a generous amount of hot glue in the bottom of the cavity and on the sides of the servos and slide them back in. i doubt the hot glue will let go of them without a fight. i was at this point looking at the 2 pushrods for the rudder and elevator. i could help but notice they seem to have a good amount of tension on them aswell, however the move freely with control inputs. i also noticed that the pushrods dont slide freely inside of the sleeves as most of the ones ive seen do. does anyone know if they should be sliding inside of those sleeves freely or is the sleeve supposed to move with them? and how neccisary are these sleeves? the pushrods themselves seem to be more than sturdy enough on there own. but as for fixes and tweaks to my trojan thats about all i did. still waiting to find out about the rudder and elevator pushrods before i decide what to do with them.

another thing i found is: ive heard people wanting to make there trojan noisey cause its to quiet. if you put a small piece of tape on the tip of the prop pointing out not back it makes a little more noise. kinda like putting a plastic disposable cup in the spokes of your bike as a kid.

but theres my findings and tweaks. if anything else comes to mind ill post more, chris
Old 01-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Default RE: parkzone trojan teardown report

Man, when you write a 5-paragraph paper, how may sheets do you use up?

If you want to increase the noise you make, try messing with your motor mount and/or firewall. They're most likely designed to vibrate as little as possible to reduce noise. Making them vibrate more will act like the soundboard in a piano, which is also why a flat foamie is louder than, say, a 3-dimensional plane made of dense, hard foam.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:04 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

yeah im not really concerend with making it louder, i was just experimenting with ways of making it louder for the people that are. my main concern now is with the rudder and elevator pushrod sleeves. do you know if they are supposed to move with the pushrods or are the pushrods supposed to slide through them smoothly? a better question would be how is it on yours?
Old 01-17-2009, 05:27 PM
cjg

I believe the sleeves on the pushrod move with the rod. The suppose their purpose is to stiffen the push rods so they don't flex in push mode.

On some of my models I've solved the pushrod rubbing on foam issue by inserting plastic drinking straws through the foam and run the rod through them. If you use small straws it also helps stop flexing issues on the pushrod.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:47 PM
ChuckTheMachine

so u had a remote control plane and u ripped it apart? why? and what the hecks a pushrod and a flat foamie.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

i didnt rip it apart chuck, i was going through it to solve a tweak it was having and too look for any other possible problems. as for a pushrod its a thin metal shaft used to control a flap which in turn controls a plane. i believe a flat foamie is an airplane made out of flat foam (such as foam board). chris
Old 01-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Chris, I think the time has come for me to make a really huge, earth-shattering confession: I don't actualy own a Trojan (yet). I was going off basic plane theory that has been proven in my room at 2 a.m. many times before. Hooking a motor up to a big thing that can resonate will make a LOT of noise....

As for the flat foamie, your description is exactly right. That's actually a way to have a lot of planes for cheap. Just stock up on foam board (which is cheap enough) and get peripherals as needed. Flat foamies are shockingly easy to design because of the nature of the principles that make them fly... It's a fun way to obtain an airplane, and they can fly however you want.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Chris, Normally most are trying to make em quieter.........your my kinda guy!!!!!
Try switching to an APC prop if you want more noise. In my experience, the APC's tend to be a lot louder then the stock props. Something I learned in my old Stryker days.

As for the other items you found, well it's pretty much the norm on a mass produced product. QC isn't always up where it should be.

It's an ARF, Almost Ready to Fly............after you fix all the normal bug a boos. LOL
Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

yeah even at 270 bucks you still get crappy manufacturer quality. not to say it wasnt worth it, because i love this plane. but i would have expected a little more. the whole issue with the esc glue dripping down onto the pushrod for the nose gear causing binding just makes me wish i was a factory employee, lol. show these guys more isnt always better.