Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Aerobird 3 battery question

Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 AM
RodentKJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird 3 battery question

A couple of questions regarding the battery used in the Aerobird 3.

1. Looking at picking up an aftermarket battery that is 7-cell 1500mah. Which is the same cell count but 500mah larger in capacity that the stock Hobbyzone battery. Will the stock charger that comes with the plane charge this battery?

2. I've read and seen where people use an 8-cell battery in the Hobbyzone Super Cub which uses the same stock battery as the Aerobird 3. Because of the extra cell the pack adds another 1.2v which apparently the Super Cub can handle. Would this 8 pack battery work in my Aerobird 3 since both planes use the same stock battery pack? And if so, would the stock charger charge this pack?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 AM
lowdrag

Default RE: Aerobird 3 battery question

I found that LiPos work the best in the Aerobird. With the NiMh, you start off with lots of power then it drops off pretty fast. With these, you get great power more evenly across the board.
I listed a charger and a battery below. Both of them is just a little more than one standard replacement battery. You will be very pleasedwith this setup.

I used to run 8 and 9 cell NiMh in my Aerobird 3 but found the battery below lasted much longer in the air and gave more power than the other batteries. LiPos have lower internal resistance
and can deliver more power to the motor. You may want to try some mashed down fishing weights (or LHS lead weights) to balance out the plane since the lipos are much lighter. JUst stick a few in the nose

lowdrag

Charger
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7898

Battery
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack
Old 01-20-2009, 11:43 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

The charger will charge the 1500mah battery just fine, it will just take 50% longer to charge at the same charge rate. The 8 cell battery will run the plane fine, but some of the oem nicad chargers do not charge the 8cell batteries to full capacity. Lipo is definitely the way to go if you can.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:20 PM
RodentKJ

Great. Thank you for the info. Lipo is the way to go...
Couple of followup questions.

1. The connectors on these batteries are different than what is on the plane. Does one use some type of adapter? Or buy the connectors and solder them on?

2. This company seems to be International? Anyone have experience with buying and shipping to the U.S.?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:55 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Most people just buy Deans connectors and solder them on the plane. Deans connectors are the industry standard for most lipo's. Proprietary brands like "Parkzone" and others use their own connector in hopes you will buy their more expensive replacement batteries instead of other brands.

I have had great success buying from Hobbycity. Anything in stock usually arrives within a week or so. Just don't order anything that shows out of stock or shows a negative inventory or you may be waiting a few weeks for your item.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:03 PM
john911
My Feedback: (1)

i older from hobbycity many times no problems good cheap batteries
Old 01-20-2009, 04:23 PM
RodentKJ

Ok great. I really appreciate all the help.

I purchased up 2 Lipo's and the 420 battery charger. $88.04 with express shipping. And I'm going to put Deans connectors on the Plane and the Nicad pack it came with so I won't have to use any type of adapters.....

Thanks again....
Old 01-21-2009, 11:11 AM
lowdrag

Great choice. Those hobby-city batteries come with Dean's already installed, all you need to do is to install the one on the plane.
The charger you got charges through the balance connector so it chargers and balances at the same time.

But don't forget to balance your plane. The NIMH batteries are much heavier than the ones I listed so you will be nose-light.
I ended up putting between 5 and 6 of the stick on lead weights on the inside of the fuse where the batteries go. I got the weights at the LHS
and they were 1/2 Oz per square, I think.

Another way to do it is to go on EBAY and buy a cheap digital scale, as I did. (~$15). But the NIHM on there first, then put on the lipo and start adding
weight until it equals the original NIMH battery.

You may think being lighter is the way to go but the Aerobird is somewhat sensitive to to the forward-aft balance.

lowdrag
Old 01-21-2009, 11:28 AM
RodentKJ

Ok. Thanks for the tip. I will keep that in mind.

And ya, I'm excited for the new charger. I can also use it to charge my Blade CX batteries which is another bonus.