Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Nose up!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:39 PM
R.Jeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nose up!

Hello all. I'm new to rc planes. I've put together a supercub with a park 450 (noflyzone setup). On takeoff the nose pulls up severly.
I thought it was balance, but that is fine. What should I look at engine mount angle? Any advice would be great.

Jeff
Old 02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Nose up!

It DOES sound a bit like your plane is way out of trim. Is it possible that the neutral position of the elevators is say too high?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:17 PM
R.Jeff

I don't think so.....I hand tossed the plane and set the trim, but I'll double check that tomorrow if the winds are not too stiff. I was wondering if the engine needs a little more down angle than a stock supercub would need. I have the same angle set as the stock currently.

JG
Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

what is the weight of the mew motor compared to the stock motor. its possible that the new motor isnt heavy enough and is throwing your nose weight off. id say check the weight of the 2.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:48 PM
RedGN

angle the motor down to almost level with ground when the plane is on the ground.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the CG is set correctly and your install was done properly, I would suggest that your plane may be flying correctly.

You didn't say how much power the Supercub is putting out, but if it's the 450, I'm guessing that it's more than you need.

Most planes, trainers especially, are designed to fly level and 'hands off' only at one power level setting. If you increase the power, the plane will climb. Decrease the power, the plane will descend.

If you want the plane to fly hands off at a different power setting, you must retrim the plane to fly level at that power setting.

I've flown the Supercub, not much, but do have experience with other planes that are sensitive to power settings: GWS Slow Stick and Estarter. The Estarter, though it is a 4 channel plane, can be flown 2 channels only: rudder and power.

If level flight is okay, then either don't use as much power to take off, or be ready to compensate with a little down elevator when you're going full power.

You could trim the plane differently (adding down trim) but then your level, hands off, flight will be affected.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:23 PM
R.Jeff

Thanks for all of your input. I put a little more down angle on the engine and flew the plane yesterday. It did fly much better, but the amount of throttle is playing the largest part in how the plane handles...........and its back to the drawing board......I crashed the plane into a 50 foot tree, about 35 feet up......destroyed the wing only......its back to the drawing board

Jeff