Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

How high can a Firebird XL go?

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

How high can a Firebird XL go?

Old 03-24-2002, 05:09 AM
DougX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How high can a Firebird XL go?

I was flying my Firebird XL in the back yard after a rough landing at the field with my 40 Super Sportster. I hit full throttle and let it climb higher and higher and higher and ...... you get the point. I had the thing up so high it was begining to get difficult to track its orientation. The good thing about a Firebird is it stays fairly level in pitch and roll during flight. If you don't hold a turn more than a few seconds you won't roll to much. I was wondering if anyone else has pushed the altitude envelope with this plane. I was getting concerned about the radio range. I think I could go up to a point where it was nearly out of sight if the radio will range lasts.

Thanks,

Doug
Old 08-31-2002, 09:02 PM
ElectRick
My Feedback: (2)

Rule of thumb- If you can't see it, you can't fly it.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:52 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know wwith my Airtronics radios it be in good control long after I the plane is out of sight. I have had a 110 inch span glider so far up it was hard to tell what it was doing.

Dru.
Old 09-02-2002, 02:11 AM
DougX

I'd say I could get the Firbird out of sight too (of course the cheesy radio that came with it might be a limiting factor).

Thanks for the info

DougX
Old 09-03-2002, 02:31 PM
greg-RCU

Don't know about the Firebird Radio but many of the miniature park flyer type receivers have a limited range. Park flyers are not much fun that high up anyway.
Buzzard, it sounds like you need to try soaring. Or have you. I've had both a 100" and my 2meter Electra/GL up to where you can't make out the tail. Just a vague rectangle for the wing and as it circles around to point straight at you it completely disappears for a second or so.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:01 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I gained the altitude I was at a place called Torrey Pines. It is a cliff right on the edge of the Pacific Ocean. The winds ae really good and you can almost fly a brick when the winds are high.

I had full down trim and it still took over an hour to get it down. I ws using 4 "c" cells for the on board flight pack running 4 mini servos so I had several hours of flying time. The plane I was flying was called Paragon. It was a 110 inch span poly wing. It looked like a gaint Wanderer.

Dru.