Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

What do readers want

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:47 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do readers want

What would you, the reader, prefer? A set of searchable threads, a couple of super threads that have lot's of airplane info, but searching is a pain, but asking your question will get you a quick answer, and the third option is where we find ourselves now, ask a question, and hope someone sees int before it rolls over.

I would like to think that some vibrant communities would sign up here. I'll keep watch in fact.

BTW, we need to understand that we do not own the thread.

Tim
Old 03-28-2009, 10:18 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

Default RE: What do readers want

tim,

in my opinion i like the current setup. as it is i can ask a question and monitor the amount of people reading it compared to the amount responding if any. most times i get feedback that is helpful, other times feedback that is way off topic. and as far as not getting a response, if it does "roll over" i just find it and post something along the lines of so knowbody knows? nd it pops it back the the begining of the thread. but in my time here ive found that everyone is generally more than willing to help out in a large or small way, which is why i continue to keep coming back to rc universe for all my rc deboggles. chris
Old 03-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Sinai

oops !
Old 03-29-2009, 08:43 AM
bing44
My Feedback: (1)

I am happy with the current skin - I would like to see searches within searches if possible.

As for the threads: I am opposed to the 196 page threads. They are impossible to digest if you are a new flier, next to impossible to search, and soon become nothing but a sounding board and coffee klatch for a half dozen people. It is infinitely easier to find what you want by searching topics instead of posts, and if you are afraid of your post scrolling off the board just keep bumping it.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Tim,
The way I see it, newbies come here often totally lost looking for help. And the forums are the place to go if you're looking for help. I'm not sure how you would make the forums more search friendly the way they are.

Often forums produce camaraderie, folks with the same interests who can tend to get off the subject matter as they converse with their new "friends". Posts will move away from the actual subject, which will make it harder to find out info you are searching for.

But if you make the forum where posts can only be directly related to a subject you won't have the interaction between posters that many of us come to love about the forums. Having the forums being ONLY on the subject matter could easily scare off people, like having to deal with a supreme entity that cannot be questioned as to his knowledge of the subject.

For many the forums are our club, where we can meet and talk about anything, helping out the newbies with what we've learned is just a part of it. A search is only going to be as relevant as the search input parameters. So if you can't find what you're looking for, maybe you just haven't put in enough search info to get you what you are looking for.

Used correctly, I've had no real problems finding stuff, but then I tend to be pretty specific in my search parameters.

I mean if you go in and type "Badius" all by itself into the search function you'll probably end up with a couple hundred thousand hits to wade thru. But if you add additional search parameters, you can usually get right to what you want.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:19 AM
calvino

I think if they had a "sticky" on the pages of the plane forums with most FAQ's by newbes it may help them out alot with finding info. I have to agree first stepping into the plane section I was extremely "nervous" but thankfully I found the Badius chat and "blended in" real good . I also tend to agree that super long sections do make it hard to sift out the information. My $.02 is make a "Newbie FAQ" or like a "member locator" to maybe link up with an experenced pilot... [8D]
Old 03-29-2009, 10:31 AM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Searching may be a pain, but that's how one gets the information one wants. The "Search This Thread" feature has been a big help.

Once in a thread that might be huge, if I feel that it's getting close, I've had good luck finding what I want.

As an example, the Club SAITO thread has gotten huge, yet on a number of occasions it has been a gold mine as a research resource.

When I don't find what I want and post a question, help is usually not long in coming.

The best thing is a combination of all those that the original poster mentions: Super threads, specific questions and answers, and search functions within threads.

BobbyG