Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Old 08-02-2009, 08:23 AM
moparmyway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

ORIGINAL: murdnunoc

I wouldn't even know how to start to measure pitch speed. Anemometer and tach? Thrust is pretty easy.

Pitch speed measurement is based on RPM and pitch. You would have needed to know the RPM of the prop in order to get pitch speed values for your table in the above post.

Pitch speed formula:

(RPM x Pitch) / 1056

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Bubblegum,
Sorry, I do NOT have a record of 140 ish ......................but the record of 154mph video is on "U Tube" uncut and unedited.

Mostly noise of flying circles and getting just about 6 doppler passes as straight and level as possible. Pass #4 is the fastest, #5 pass is over 150mph and I am turning left as I pass the camera (straight would have been faster) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVcIPJJ0VWI

Is that gear steerable ??
Old 08-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Mr. Mugen

Well my best advice is to check and recheck those hinges each flight. They can and will come loose. I just checked all my other planes and found 3 more faulty hinges...[X(] I properly insalled ech and every one of them. Age is their enemy. The stryker was built 3 years ago, with about 50 flights on them. CA gets brittle over time, esp with a BL motor kicking out RPM's (vibrations) 2 inches from the failed hinges. Harmonics played a roll I am sure but it is ultimatley my fault for using the wrong part for the app. Learning is a lifelong process Here's a pic.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91095.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1248472  
Old 08-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Larry Driskill

SHADY SIDE STRYKER (SSS),

Months ago I started building a lightweight Stryker to be outrunner powered, turn an 8" prop and be something I could fly in a small area.

Time flew by, I built other Strykers and the Shady Side sat on the shelf.

Right now I am real busy earning a living, getting ready to go on a two week holiday, and really short on free time and generally should be staying out of the shop.

So . . . yesterday morning I dropped everything and finished the SSS.

It has a MicroDan 2505, 1490KV motor, a Berg Micro Stamp receiver, 1500mah 3s, HiTech 82 MG servos, 8X6 APC Slo Flyer prop, and a stock E-Flight 30Amp ESC.

It weighs 21 ounces.

With the 8X6 and the 1500mah battery (with about 3 minutes of flight time out of it) the motor was turning 9,000 RPM and pulling 15 Amps.

Name:	Ca83043.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	1248542  
Old 08-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Larry Driskill

SSS,

One thing that held up building progress was 'How to mount the OutRunner'.

Here's my solution. (Note that I had started another method using ChippedProp's flat plate method and that plate is still in place)

Name:	Fc90174.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	1248561   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76232.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1248562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28111.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1248563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62679.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1248564  
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Larry Driskill

SSS,

1. Receiver mounted in the wing.

2. MG82 (the blue masking tape is tightly wrapped around the servo and a drop of Gorilla Glue on the tape holds the servo in place), the antenna is wrapped around a scrap of balsa so it is all inside the wing.

Name:	Jh16667.jpg
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1248574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71083.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1248575  
Old 08-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Larry Driskill

SSS,

The airframe is mostly stock, except for clear packing tape on the nose, leading and trailing edges, and stress points. There is a bit of multi-directional strapping tape in the mount area. I figured that at these speeds and this weight I didn't need much added strength.

I used sewed/taped hinges. I have one Stryker that has some hundreds of flights and some dozens of mishaps behind it and the hinges are still tight and good.

Name:	Vt57798.jpg
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1248577  
Old 08-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

Well my best advice is to check and recheck those hinges each flight. They can and will come loose. I just checked all my other planes and found 3 more faulty hinges...[X(] I properly insalled ech and every one of them. Age is their enemy. The stryker was built 3 years ago, with about 50 flights on them. CA gets brittle over time, esp with a BL motor kicking out RPM's (vibrations) 2 inches from the failed hinges. Harmonics played a roll I am sure but it is ultimatley my fault for using the wrong part for the app. Learning is a lifelong process Here's a pic.

Kevin
I am going to have to disagree with you on the CA hinges. My Styrker goes right around 109 mph. I have the regular elevons with good old CA hinges. I have 163 flights on this plane with the same hinges and fly it irratic as heck. Ih ave yet to have a CA hinge come loose on this or any of my planes. They are easy to install and are very durable. I have them on all of my planes and have not had one loose CA Hinge. If you have a history of your planes CA Hinges coming loose, then I would have to say they haven't been installed correctly.

Joe
Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Gryphon

CA hinges:

MR Mugen's Stryker was a 130 MPH Stryker at roughly 1400W, so I do believe it had more load on the hinges.
His Stryker was one of my favorite. I’m very sorry to read about the crash…also loved the onboard data logger with build in LCD screen (see his pic).

Having said that, I still believe in CA hinges. I will do my current build with CA hinges. Since my Stryker is going to be capable of 140-150+MPH with 2000+W I guess I can spend total of extra 1/2 hour and $1 to install hinges in between the usual 4 hinges. I can increase the hinge count from 4 to either 6 or 7 per side.
{I'll see if I can get close to 7 hinges, but as distance between one hinge to next one gets smaller there is a chance of the wood splitting during the slotting process}

Since I run zero gaps in my hinge lines, I will not be using a hinge tape....air molecules better line up single file if they want to pass through my perfectly tight hinge line.

Gryphon
Old 08-02-2009, 07:31 PM
rcgoodtimes
My Feedback: (5)

anyone have an issue with ripping the motor mount tabs out of the inside ? I made this aluminum mount to stop it from ever happening again . [img][/img] I am trying to add two pictures but I don't know exactly how to do it but I do have pictures . Mark
Attached Images   
Old 08-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Mr. Mugen

ORIGINAL: hdwideglide03

Kevin
I am going to have to disagree with you on the CA hinges. My Styrker goes right around 109 mph. I have the regular elevons with good old CA hinges. I have 163 flights on this plane with the same hinges and fly it irratic as heck. Ih ave yet to have a CA hinge come loose on this or any of my planes. They are easy to install and are very durable. I have them on all of my planes and have not had one loose CA Hinge. If you have a history of your planes CA Hinges coming loose, then I would have to say they haven't been installed correctly.

Joe
Add another 30+mph and a 20-30mph wind gusting and a 1400W+ output. It happens and did. Usually fuel is what causes this to happen, obviously this plane has no fuel. All I can guess is vibrations caused the hinge to fail. I have built many planes and was taught by a fellow who knows his stuff when I was a kid. Therefore I feel as if they were properly installed. Now on the other hand the hinge itself was a different mfgr than the H9's I usually use. I don't remember who made it but it came on a roll. Cut your own size type stuff. I used this same roll on 6 planes I build and 3 of them failed the yank test after flying several times. My CA is always fresh so I doubt it was bad. Besides my fingers sticking to everything usually tells me it is fine. Whether or not this was the hinges fault it changed my outlook on them drastically. When you put a plane in 10 feet from kids and other spectators you would too.....I was shook up for a while.

Kevin
Old 08-03-2009, 02:05 AM
moparmyway

Add another 30+mph and a 20-30mph wind gusting and a 1400W+ output. It happens and did. Usually fuel is what causes this to happen, obviously this plane has no fuel. All I can guess is vibrations caused the hinge to fail. I have built many planes and was taught by a fellow who knows his stuff when I was a kid. Therefore I feel as if they were properly installed. Now on the other hand the hinge itself was a different mfgr than the H9's I usually use. I don't remember who made it but it came on a roll. Cut your own size type stuff. I used this same roll on 6 planes I build and 3 of them failed the yank test after flying several times. My CA is always fresh so I doubt it was bad. Besides my fingers sticking to everything usually tells me it is fine. Whether or not this was the hinges fault it changed my outlook on them drastically. When you put a plane in 10 feet from kids and other spectators you would too.....I was shook up for a while.

Kevin
Putting a fast plane into the dirt allways leaves me with a sick feeling also.
No matter "why" it went down, it did.
Thank God for no injuries, and that it hit dirt rather than flesh !!!
I do use CA hinges, but I tape the top and bottom hinge lines with blenderm tape (Du-Bro hinge tape). I just checked all of my very fast planes, and every hinge is in tight !!!!
Now I must re-tape my hinge line, but no matter, some of the bottom tape was scraped from some cement landings, now it will be like new !!
I have over 12 crashes and well over 200 flights with Nemesis, all origional hinges. They are the H9 ones.
I wonder, with all of your experience, if the "roll" you got them from wasnt exactly premium quality ??
Were the hinges staked ??
Old 08-03-2009, 02:26 AM
Gryphon

I too have a sheet of cut to fit hinges. I need to check it, I think it is great planes.

However, I have never used any of it.

I use some 1/4 scale Pro CA hinges on my Strykers.

I use hobby knife to make slot and they are tight enough that the CA hinge does not easily slide in.

*************The black color tool and tips are a hinge slotting set.......TOTAL garbage, they make too thick a slot.********

Gryphon

Name:	Bz78440.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1249092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79775.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1249093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97661.jpg
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1249094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32541.jpg
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1249095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te49023.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	1249096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tk75026.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1249097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eh79052.jpg
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1249098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14816.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1249099  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61778.jpg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1249100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb77075.jpg
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1249101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs52078.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1249102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18729.jpg
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	1249103  
Old 08-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Mr. Mugen

When I installed them they seemed like any other hinge material. Now they feel and look like plastic.....not mesh glass or whatever the H9 ones are made of. They were not staked. Hind sight is 20/20. Either way it failed. Lesson learned and avoided in the future. I am not blaming anyone but myself here....it was my choice to use the hinges I used and my fault my craft went in. Please don't think I am pushing blame. I know my crqaft is my responsibility. Everyone make mistakes and hopefully learns something from them. Putting $1000.00 in the dirt usually opens ones eyes quite wide. It did mine. Not the first and most likely not the last.

The good news is my shaved stryker has seen the light of day again. It is on the bench waiting for some CF.

Later guy's,
Kevin
Old 08-03-2009, 07:49 AM
arcticflyer

I got some weird "CA" hinges in an ARF awhile back....I think it was a Great Planes kit and it might have been my last Kaos.....the hinges were on a sheet and had to be cut to get off.....they were not like the regular hinges and had a more plastic feel with less what I call fuzzz on them.

They would not install[:@] Everytime I tried to get them to stick I was able to pull them out....I got really frustrated and went to the LHS and bought the Great Planes CA hinges in the pack....I compaired the two when I got home and they were very different.....Despite the ARF labeling "Great Planes" their hinges were not in the box and the (ARF) makers were. Terrible hinges[:'(]

I now realize that several of hinges on that plane (Kaos) failed because I put the new GP hinges in the same slots that I tried to mount the inferior hinges in.....the CA used to mount the inferior hinges must have sealed the wood and not allowed the CA used on the good hinges to penetrate. like you said live and learn
Old 08-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Gryphon

Castle Creations Phoenix ICE and Phoenix ICE lite

Each in 50A, 75A, and 100A ESCs

Shipping August 10th.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...oenix_ice.html

Will be cheaper here:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...hoenix+ice+esc

ICE lite is for 6S max and costs same as ICE for 8S max. ICE is heavier and has heat sink versus shrink tubing.

Read about limited data logging, and adjustable internal BEC (5V to 7V in 0.1V increments when adjusted with Castle link $25)

Gryphon
Old 08-04-2009, 02:05 AM
moparmyway

Some pictures of the damage from the exploding ESC...............

Name:	Ji27242.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1250001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qp51895.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1250002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl95203.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1250003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju11807.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1250004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi85513.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1250005  
Old 08-04-2009, 06:58 AM
BubbleGum

ORIGINAL: moparmyway
Is that gear steerable ??
Naah, Mopar. It's castered. Point and shoot and hope for the best. At least I still have have all ten fingers.

I'm in the Glorious People's Rebuplic of China at the moment. Which means I got no youtube. So who has the fastest Stryker? I have the ideas and money. Time is an issue though.

I'll be back in The States on Thursday...

~Bub
Old 08-04-2009, 08:09 AM
arcticflyer

Man I hate crashes[:@] I hate to see your planes busted and guess what I crashed and burned last night[:'(] DUMB THUMB is suspected

I was doing a turn and burn down the runway at about 6 feet.....at the end of the runway the corn was coming up quick soooooo instead of up elevator then hard left bank I cranked in the hard left and hauled on the up elevator. I've done this with my stock Stryker many times......BUT, idiot me this ain't stock and weighs 13 OZ more.[&:]

What happened next was so fast if you blinked you would have missed it.....I'm pretty sure the thing did a high speed SNAP.....I have a 60 sized Yak that will do it at full throttle with bank and full elevator........I didn't think the Stryker would do it.... the hard bank and elevator slowed it down some but it hit the ground inverted at about 45 degrees full throttle[X(]

The damage was not as bad as I thought thanks to the glassed fuzzz and extra carbon....man, my fins didn't even break. All electrics seem to be OK....and after several hours of TLC I should be flying it tonight. I'm going to have to tie everything in the plane as I have noticed many of you have done as all my electrics were spread about the field to include my Mega.

Sorry about your EXPLOSION Mopar...was there a crash after....or is all that damage from the ESC?.....any idea what caused it?....[&:]

Name:	Jh16608.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1250060  
Old 08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Gryphon

arcticflyer,

Sorry about your crash, it was a very good looking plane.

It has not been a good couple of weeks for several people (I received sad PMs too).

What I do like about your pic is that it shows several mods from the various Dark side Stryker threads. Good luck with your build.

BubbleGum,

I like to suggest that you go after 140-145 MPH Stryker instead of the fastest Stryker.
You will be happier in several ways. The plane will be more enjoyable and it should still be launch-able by hand.

If you are going to thin and clip a wing, install retracts or bungee launch it, run 36mm motor, and 600 gram battery then the best of luck to you. When you are done it will not be very enjoyable.

Moparmyway is in the low to mid 150 MPH range with better video to follow later this year.

130-135 MPH Stryker will be awesome and you'll never think you are lacking a thing.

I believe that a Stryker like Mr Mugens or like one that Larry Driskill is building is about the limit of practicality for daily fun.
28mm motor @1400-1700W in a stock airframe with wooden elevons.

Gryphon
Old 08-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Dc2LightTech

I have about a 60% success rate at hand launching so I am designing a smaller car portable catapult before I finish the next Stryker. I can not get on the stick fast enough to keep it out of the ground. when I fly 5 cells + 6 oz motor I do not want to hand launch.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:35 PM
arcticflyer

Gryphon- Got her rebuilt The Dragon is born again....this time with a BIONIC look! Yep that is super light aluminum and I think it is lighter than the stock plastic stuff......I still have to cut additional air holes and a hole for the ESC. Will be done by tomorrow....time for more Turn and Burn with the knowledge that it will snapp at speed[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]....knowledge is a good thing....however sometimes it comes at a price.

My only concern now is RADIO Range with the aluminum top.....gonna do a range check tomorrow (Spektrum) and move the receiver if necessary

I'm buyin that CC ICE Light 100 as soon as I can get my hands on it.....[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Name:	Qo41293.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1250343  
Old 08-05-2009, 02:12 AM
Gryphon

arcticflyer,

I see a shiny motor.....which one is it?

Looks long. Is it 16/30/2 or 16/35/1.5
Old 08-05-2009, 02:28 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: arcticflyer

Sorry about your EXPLOSION Mopar...was there a crash after....or is all that damage from the ESC?.....any idea what caused it?....[&:]
The explosion was first, then she folded and fell. I was going about 150 at 100 amps, and am not too sure if the explosion or the violence of getting caught up in a bad orientation at 150 mph was what split that CF and folded that wing. I do know I saw/heard the explosion BEFORE the wing folded, so I am sure the ESC went first.

OH well..............................every failure leads to the renewed possibility of success

Old 08-05-2009, 06:31 AM
arcticflyer

Gyrphon- The motor is a Mega 16/30/2....I haven't had a chance to run anything but 3S yet....I am ordering some 4S and 5S in the near future...should start to perform then
Old 08-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Gryphon

arcticflyer,

I just soldered up and tested my brand new 16/30/2C (5mm Combat shaft) on TP 4S-5000 30C Pro Power with several props. Mopar is going to get it in a few days for 3S and 5S testing.

What size prop are you running on 3S?
What are battery and ESC specs?
What was the Wattmeter results for A, W?

Feel free to send a PM instead of post if you wish.

My estimate is that it can handle up to APC Sport 7X9 on 3S, but surely APC Sport 7X7 will not be remotely close to pushing things. Hope you have 7X8 handy too.

Your KV is 95 KV to 100 KV higher than advertised.
For KV test (no load means no prop), I tested 3S, 4S, 5S, and 6S....all hovered around 2225 KV.

With that motor working hard it can go WAY past 100 MPH in level flight on 3S.
5S max in Stryker if AMPs are kept high. 5S prop from 6" to 6.5" diameter props. But with 6.5" diameter, high pitch might be pushing it.

I'm drooling now just thinking about Larry's Stryker's climbing ability on 5S and APC Pylon 6.5X5.0 or even MA E 6.5X4.0.
I hope the MA prop can stay in one piece ....................MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Let’s chat about future battery in a PM when you are ready.

Gryphon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.