Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:38 PM
CrookedWing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Gryphon
Moparmyway,

Thanks guys for the reply.  I would like to stay with 4s batteries.  Just for the reason that I can interchange them into several differant planes I have in mind.  Batteries are still not cheap enough for me to have three to four packs per plane that I want to build.

I guess 150mph is still pretty far off.  A more appropriate question would be about motors.  I will read more into the forum but is there a faster more efficient motor than the arc for the setup I have now. 

I think I will experiment with the airframe and other things.  I think I can achieve at least 130mph with some fuselage mods and bigger batteries.

Thanks again,
Crookedwing

Old 04-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Gryphon

CrookedWing,

Read post # 20 on first page of this forum for use with APC Pylon 6.5" diameter props. That motor now has designation of R as in: 16/35/1.5R 2700KV

I believe a better choice would be the 16/40/1.5R 2300KV for use with APC Sport 7" diameter props for $10 more (Roughly $135 vs $145) and extra 1/2 o.z.
{ look higher up this page for a performance graph of this motor on large 4S}

I suggest you buy either one with a 5mm Combat shaft by adding the letter "C" at end of motor designation such as: 16/40/1.5RC

Gryphon
Old 04-28-2010, 10:33 PM
CrookedWing

Gryphon,

I read the earlier posts in this forum about the Mega motors going out of business.  I didn't quite make it far enough to read where to get the 16/40/1.5 or the data that mopamyway was testing it for.

My question I guess would be what dealer sales this motor.  Also, how many amps would I be drawing with the 4s 5000mah with the same motor.  Would my current setup handle the motor and props mentioned above?  I am going to try to read the whole forum little by little but am interested in the motor you mentioned.

For a little entertainment.  My first modded Stryker.  Went a little far with the cf.  Same setup as I have now though.  I am on my 6th or 7th Stryker fusalage and have learned a lot. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UCYV8MiOVE

One of the Guys in the video and the guy who's youtube account this is on just got a motor and custom battery from you (or someone else from this forum)  in the mail.  Him and I have been experimenting and he says the setup he just got is top secret.  He won't pull it out until after Nall2010.  I am a little curious.

Thanks again
Old 04-29-2010, 02:07 AM
Gryphon

CrookedWing,

Main distributor in USA went out of business....not the MEGA manufacturer. 2 Dealers can order direct from manufacturer...all is fine and in some respects it is better now.

Send me a PM (Private message) with your friend's screen name and I will know all details.

I believe I already figured it out...so the question is if you know all the details or not...LOL

It should fly a bit faster than the Stryker in that video.

Gryphon
Old 04-29-2010, 09:25 AM
louierc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey folks - I just got my motor mount from Gary at RC Custom Parts - WOW - it's really nice, well made, well finished, and a great deal for the price. I work in mfg and I don't see how he can make (in the US) and sell it this cheap. I would recommend this mount to anyone who is considering an upgrade to more power. My plastic motor mount exploded when I went beyond 550 watts, and Gary's looks like the ticket for more power. Louie
Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 AM
customrcparts

Louie,

I'm glad you like the mount!

Some of the parts on this mount were made in Australia. The first run of Stryker mountswas madein the USand thatis the reason the original price was so high.

Imake every attempt to have the mounts made in the US and 90% of my mounts are but when the shops are too busyIhave them made over there. It's expensive to get parts made here! Iwas just told by the anodizing company Iuse (local)that they are almost tripling their fees! It's a constant struggle to get decent pricing on small runs! Ido have a shop in WA nowthat if Iplan far enough ahead should be able to make all my mounts.

And, Iam saving up for my own CNC! But, that will take a lot of roses and breakfasts in bed to get my better half to let me put that in the garage! :-)
Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 AM
louierc

While having your own CNC milling center sounds like fun, depending on how much you invest, you have to keep it going 24/7 to pay it off. A big investment. Sometimes you can find a shop that will do your work for less if things are slow or in their off time. There are lots of anodizers out there, and some are lower cost. I expect the increase in cost may have something to do with waste disposal, you should be able to find a deal on this finish treatment, often goes by a lot charge. Louie
Old 04-29-2010, 12:35 PM
customrcparts

Yep, Iam working on expanding my manufacturing base. Then I won't get stuck when the few shops I use get busy.
Ibet you are right about the disposal costs for anodizing.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:35 PM
CrookedWing

I am finally about to wrap up my latest build. I usually do them in record time just so Ican get them up in the air but this one I took a little timeand I even put a paint job on it that is half way decent. This is about my 7th Stryker fusalage with same motor, esc setup. Ilearn a lot on each build and use that knowledge on the next build. I don't have a stock stryker to fly in between builds anymore so this is what takes up my time when I am not working offshore. Hopefully I can get the pictures to come up. This setup does about 120 mph so it isn't that boring but I am looking for a new setup/motor.

Can anyone tell me where to get Mega motors. I was reading earlier in the forum about a 16/40/1.5 that Moparmyway was testing. I didn't see that perticular motor on any of the websites I visited and Ihaven't seen the results yet but am interested in something that can run well on 4s 5000mah batt and a pheonix ice 100 amp esc. I am just trying to gather as much info as possible.

I also heard that ?Neu? motors are some pretty bad ****s.

CrookedWing

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91721.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1428228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46501.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	1428229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25247.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1428230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62171.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1428231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58794.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	1428232  
Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 PM
CrookedWing

moparmyway, 

I was reading earlier post about some mods fotr the pheonix ice 100 that would allow it to pull 150 amps.  If I am not mistaken I believe it was you that said it.  If that was true that would allow me to mod my current esc to to handle the Mega and Neu motors with out changeing esc's and spendingn a lot of money.  I am looking to to go faster with what I have now. I am addicted to speed and you guys are the man.  I want to go faster!  and I dont ming spending top dollar just to show off.  I loved smell of new electronics
Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 PM
customrcparts

You can get Mega motors from GaryatEfflux RC

[email protected]
www.effluxrc.com

He is a really nice guy. I got my last Mega from him.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Gryphon

CrookedWing,

The USA distributor for NEU motors is Castle Creations.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...rs/nm1100.html

I hope you buy a NEU (we can then compare) . Look near bottom of the list at 1112 and 1115 series. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Good luck to you,

Gryphon
Old 04-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Arcteryxxx

ORIGINAL: CrookedWing

moparmyway,

I was reading earlier post about some mods fotr the pheonix ice 100 that would allow it to pull 150 amps. If I am not mistaken I believe it was you that said it. If that was true that would allow me to mod my current esc to to handle the Mega and Neu motors with out changeing esc's and spendingn a lot of money.I am looking to to go faster with what I have now. I am addicted to speed and you guys are the man. I want to go faster! and I dont ming spendingtop dollar just to show off. I loved smell of new electronics
Hi!
I'm waiting for a NEU 1115/1Y which has been in the mail for over 2 weeks now! As I live in Northern Europe i guess the late delivery is somewhat caused by Icelandic ash clouds. The shipment from Espritmodels surely was quick enough. I'll be putting that NEU to work in my Stryker running on 3S and 4S, and I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I have tried it...

Old 04-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Gryphon

Arcteryxxx,

That large 2800KV motor should be an excellent 3S motor.

The KV seems a bit high for 4S setup but I'm sure we can home in on a decent prop for you....not best KV for 4S but it'll work and you'll have a big smile.
The more AMPs you run on 4S the more that higher KV can be justified…hopefully you can run APC 6.5" diameter Pylon props even though it is a 4 pole motor.

I'm glad it is a "Y" winding for lower relative resistance given its KV as compared to "D" winds.

Consider getting an Eagle Tree data logger 150A V3 , along with $14 brushless RPM sensor......maybe you want to use the ICE ESC's logger info.

You don’t want to run low AMPs on 4S due to prop size being too small.

CC 125A ESC makes a lot more sense for max power on 3S, 4S.......see what Mopar thinks on that for your particular motor, but tell him your battery specs as well.

I wish you the best my friend.

Gryphon
Old 04-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Arcteryxxx

Thanks a lot!
My original plan was to do some testing with the 2200mAh 4S and 3S I've already got with different props and then decide if I'll order some 3S 5000s or 4S 4000s....
Old 04-30-2010, 10:24 AM
louierc

Gryphon - last time I flew mine on the Neu motor, I had some flutter with the stock ailerons. Is it possible to install a CF rod to stiffen these? I don't have the TE stock available to make new ones, but as I remember, you recommend 1-1/4" wide hard balsa pre-shaped TE stock. Is that correct? What hinges? Louie
Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Arcteryxxx

Anyone had any luck with glassing the stock elevons?

-Arcteryxxx
Old 05-01-2010, 04:11 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: CrookedWing

moparmyway,

I was reading earlier post about some mods fotr the pheonix ice 100 that would allow it to pull 150 amps. If I am not mistaken I believe it was you that said it. If that was true that would allow me to mod my current esc to to handle the Mega and Neu motors with out changeing esc's and spendingn a lot of money. I am looking to to go faster with what I have now. I am addicted to speed and you guys are the man. I want to go faster! and I dont ming spending top dollar just to show off. I loved smell of new electronics
Yes, modifying the ICE ESC's can allow you to drive more current through them without them overheating, but you will need some more airflow than whats pictured above.
You NEED to have as much air flowing over the ESC as possible, that means cutting the rear cover (so more air gets out), hacking away foam in the electronics bay (so more air can flow), and opening the front cover (so more air comes in).

If you plan on running under 150 amps most of the time, but every now and again want to run 150 or slightly more, the ICE might be the best choice out there for you. If you plan on running 150 amps all of the time, you might wish to run something bigger than the ICE 100. Other choices could be

Phoenix 125
ICE Light HV 160
Phoenix 180
ICE 200
ICE Light 200
Old 05-01-2010, 04:17 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

CrookedWing,

The USA distributor for NEU motors is Castle Creations.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...rs/nm1100.html

I hope you buy a NEU (we can then compare) . Look near bottom of the list at 1112 and 1115 series. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Good luck to you,

Gryphon
I like NEU motors, but I do not like the 3.2mm shaft that you get with them. I opted to get a few 5mm shafted (heli version without the fan) 1115 motors, and I havent bent any shafts on any of them yet. It took an awfull long time to get my "custom" motors from NEU, but definately worth the wait to have insurance from a wrecked motor due to a bent shaft.

Any motor with a 3.2mm shaft is subject to damage on landings with heavier Strykers, manufacturers aside, 3.2mm shafts are just not enough for the heavies, and the 1115 series are heavies.

IMHO, it pays to get 5mm shafts, no matter which manufacturer you decide to go with.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:26 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: Arcteryxxx
Hi!
I'm waiting for a NEU 1115/1Y which has been in the mail for over 2 weeks now! As I live in Northern Europe i guess the late delivery is somewhat caused by Icelandic ash clouds. The shipment from Espritmodels surely was quick enough. I'll be putting that NEU to work in my Stryker running on 3S and 4S, and I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I have tried it...
ORIGINAL: Gryphon
Arcteryxxx,
That large 2800KV motor should be an excellent 3S motor.
The KV seems a bit high for 4S setup but I'm sure we can home in on a decent prop for you....not best KV for 4S but it'll work and you'll have a big smile.
The more AMPs you run on 4S the more that higher KV can be justified…hopefully you can run APC 6.5'' diameter Pylon props even though it is a 4 pole motor.
I'm glad it is a ''Y'' winding for lower relative resistance given its KV as compared to ''D'' winds.
Consider getting an Eagle Tree data logger 150A V3 , along with $14 brushless RPM sensor......maybe you want to use the ICE ESC's logger info.
You don’t want to run low AMPs on 4S due to prop size being too small.
CC 125A ESC makes a lot more sense for max power on 3S, 4S.......see what Mopar thinks on that for your particular motor, but tell him your battery specs as well.
I wish you the best my friend.
Gryphon
Arcteryxxx,
That motor will be a VERY Amp hungry customer !!

Those 4s2200 batts that you are thinking of will work IF you parallel them together for 4s4400, and you will also need to parallel your 3s2200's together as well. You might even need 3 of them just to fly if you are looking for MAX effort.

I am liking the ICE Light HV 160 more and more for max power in Strykers !!!

That motor might not make it on 4s and any prop bigger than 6.5 x 5.5...........................I would need some very closely supervised tests to be sure, but I think the kv might be just a little high for max effort on 4 cells.

As far as glassing the stock elevons..................... you can do it, but you would get much better results by installing 1 1/2 balsa and just painting some epoxy on them
Old 05-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Arcteryxxx

Mopar:
The small 2200mAh are not ment for flying the NEU-Stryker. I'll just use them for testing props and then decide wether to get some 3s 5000 or 4s 4000.
When it comes to props my initial plan is to test 6*5.5 on 3s and 6*4 on 4s...and just maybe 6*5.5 on 4s.
I'm planning to run the Plush80 esc. Do you know the limits of this esc?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:10 AM
moparmyway

Not too familiar with the newer Plush ESC's, but I am pretty sure you will need a much bigger ESC than a Plush 80 with that 1115 motor you got coming in.

I would run tests with 6.5 and 7 inch props on 3 cell 5000 batts and start with 6x4 sport on 4s5000 battery.

3s5000 best prop will be the APC 7x7 (thats my prediction).
You might be able to run 7x8, but thats up in the air untill we see some specific prop tests, it might be too much for that motor

If the 6x4 sport doesnt pull too many amps on 4 cells, then you could try to prop up slightly, but it would be great if you could post up some numbers from your testing.

Notice I have replaced your 4s4000 with 4s5000 ??

Have you decided if you will run Eagletree or ICE ?
Old 05-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Arcteryxxx

Mopar:
Haven't decided yet. Looking into it now. Have to look up some US or German webshops. The hobbyshops here i Norway are really lousy. Seems like all RC pilots here fly Piper Cubs with dirty glow engines... The largest CC esc I've found in the shops here was a Phoenix HV110 with a $370 price tag... Would appreciate a hint about good vendors.
As for data logging, are there any other interesting tings to measure than amp, voltage, watts and rpm?
What C-rate would you suggest for the 3s5000 and 4s5000? (did get your correction en the 4s )

Is this the EagleTree you suggest? http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...dProduct=10488

Old 05-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Gryphon

When ready for a vendor, I know a guy who does ship to other countries.

That is correct Eagle tree, V3 150A , (but they wrote wrong description under it, they wrote 100A, there is also V3 100A available).

Gryphon
Old 05-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Arcteryxxx

Think I'm going 4S with a 6*4 to 6*5.5. Expecting some 100-120 amps. Have my finger on the "order"-button. Any objections? BTW: The 4S5000 is 25C
Green light, Mopar and Gryphon?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.