Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Old 05-01-2010, 06:31 PM
moparmyway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

ORIGINAL: Arcteryxxx

Think I'm going 4S with a 6*4 to 6*5.5. Expecting some 100-120 amps. Have my finger on the ''order''-button. Any objections? BTW: The 4S5000 is 25C
Green light, Mopar and Gryphon?
Well, you MUST consider the source for this suggestion...................................I say go 45/90 c batts.

Your wallet must decide !!!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Arcteryxxx

Remember I'm aiming for the ProMod class - not TopFuel Dragster. That will be next time
Old 05-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Larry Driskill

Good Evening,

The New Creations folks have a Mega 16/25/2C (5mm shaft) in stock.

http://www.newcreations-rc.com/
Old 05-05-2010, 12:53 AM
CrookedWing

Has anyone tested an E-Flite 15 EDF 3600kv motor?  I have an extra one laying around and was wondering how much performance I could expect if I put it in my modded Stryker.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...dID=EFLM3015DF

I was thinking that maybe I could use it for a little extra power for a stock stryker with a bigger 3s and a customrcparts (will never fly a stryker without one again) motor mount of course.

It also looks like I am going to be starting on my 8th modded Stryker fuse when I get back from the rig.  Was playing with my esc programming and batteries cutoff earlier than expected.  Landed wrong and split the fuse.  Epoxing the fast Strykers never really works well.  They keep getting better though.  My new 4s 5000mah batts should be here also hopefully with a new Mega or Neu motor to go with them.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:33 AM
Arcteryxxx

Mopar:
The NEU has finally arrived at the post office and I'll pick it up tomorrow. Did finally decide on some 40/50C 4S5000s and have also ordered a RPM meter. The EagleTree was out of stock and the large CC is out of reach at this moment, but I'll report some Amp/Watts/rpm/thrust readings as soon as possible.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:00 AM
chippedprop

This will give you an idea of the size of Joe Nall fly in....make sure to pan the view full in both directions...and you can zoom also

http://www.vistaaerials.com/images/f...eNall2009.html
Cp
Old 05-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Arcteryxxx

ORIGINAL: chippedprop

This will give you an idea of the size of Joe Nall fly in....make sure to pan the view full in both directions...and you can zoom also

http://www.vistaaerials.com/images/f...eNall2009.html
Cp
Wow! Some crowd you got there...

Old 05-08-2010, 08:26 AM
gabe_tuft

Hey guys!

Got an issue with my Stryker rolling to the left at full thottle or close to it. It will start to roll slowly and eventually no matter how much right stick (roll) I give it, she will not respond. If I reduce the throttle, it will respond just fine.

I have the E-flite BL15 motor, 6x5.5 apc prop, and a custom mount from customrcparts.com.

I have full deflection with the stock elevons, but no additional cf reinforcement other than stock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:47 AM
NITRO ACE

ORIGINAL: gabe_tuft

Hey guys!

Got an issue with my Stryker rolling to the left at full thottle or close to it. It will start to roll slowly and eventually no matter how much right stick (roll) I give it, she will not respond. If I reduce the throttle, it will respond just fine.

I have the E-flite BL15 motor, 6x5.5 apc prop, and a custom mount from customrcparts.com.

I have full deflection with the stock elevons, but no additional cf reinforcement other than stock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sounds like torque roll. Try giving your motor mount a tiny amount of left thrust.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54402.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1432875  
Old 05-08-2010, 10:43 AM
CrookedWing

Gabe,

Is that the E-Flite 15 3600kv edf motor? I was thinking about putting that on a stock stryker for a little extra performance and keeping my Darkside strker seperate. What kind of battery are you using and do you know how many amps you are pulling with that prop? I have one of those motors laying around and want something to fly between high speed passes.

Crookedwing
Old 05-08-2010, 12:48 PM
gabe_tuft

Thanks Nitro, I will try adding a few washers for the thrus angle. Great diagram by the way. Any idea how much additional thrust angle I need? I'm thinking I'll start with 2 washers on the left side of the mount.

Crooked Wing:

No, it's actually the BL-15 motor that is used in the Habu. It's a 3200kv motor. I'm running zippy 2200 4S batteries and I have an Electrifly 45 Amp ESC in there. I really need to step up the ESC. On the box, the motor lists 44A continuous current and a 52A Burst current. Had a few thermal shutdowns at WOT.

Works good on a 3S too.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:12 PM
gabe_tuft

I was wrong, Crooked Wing. I have the Six Series motor from E-Flite on there. Not sure what I was thinking! Its a 2700kv motor, max burst is 42A.

Nitro:The thrust angle was the major issue. I threw two washers on the right side on the inside of the mount (looking at the motor from behind) and it flies straight and level at WOT. It still does not turn well at WOT, but I'm assuming that I have some deflection in the wing and in the elevon, since the entire Stryker airframe is stock.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:17 AM
NITRO ACE

Thanks Nitro, I will try adding a few washers for the thrus angle. Great diagram by the way. Any idea how much additional thrust angle I need? I'm thinking I'll start with 2 washers on the left side of the mount.
Gabe, I don't think you need any washers for this. Just loosen your motor mount screws until you can twist it slightly until it's angled to the left (like in the diagram). It just needs to be a very small amount like two millimeters or less off center. Then tighten screws to hold it at the new angle. You might need to enlarge the holes (very slightly) in the foam for the motor mount screws so it will twist and stay.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:22 PM
moparmyway

It still does not turn well at WOT, but I'm assuming that I have some deflection in the wing and in the elevon, since the entire Stryker airframe is stock.

Thanks for the help!
I was right there with the exact same motor and problem.
You have to stiffen up the trailing edge and elevons to keep controll at faster speeds.
You need balsa with bass trailing edge and some more CF to enjoy your powerfull drivetrain.
You will continue to have this problem, only it will worsen as the elevons get softer. The Fuse will also continue to flex (not like those tuff guy pro wrestlers on TV) and will also get softer on you if you keep flying it as it is.

My humble advice is to prop down to a 6x4 sport prop till you can get something with some real strength (like Collegiate wrestlers) in there to do the job !!!!!

** I hope you dont mind my assenine sense of humor, but I allways try to crack myself up, and it looks like I have done it again !!! **
******now, please dont kick my arse*******
Old 05-09-2010, 03:09 PM
gabe_tuft

LOL! Nice Mopar!

Yeah, I have some severe flutter in the ailerons at WOT too. I guess I will just prop down like you said since I have the darkside build starting in a week or two.

Or... I could just lay some cf tubing in the fuse. What do you think about gluing some flat cf to the ailerons for the time being?
Old 05-09-2010, 05:36 PM
moparmyway

I have had some good luck just painting epoxy on stock elevons, so if you add some CF tow or something like you mentioned with epoxy, I am sure that you would see a difference.
Would it be all of the difference that you need ?
You really have nothing to loose at this point, so go for it !!!!!
Please let us know how it works.
Lay the CF tubing about 1/2 inch away from the trailing edge.
Are you using hot glue ?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 PM
gabe_tuft

Good thinking Mopar. I'm taking off until Wednesday, but I'll try to get a little something done in the morning and let ya know.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:03 AM
Gryphon

gabe_tuft,

See post # 387.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...16/key_/tm.htm

My buddy who came up with this was very happy with its results.

He used CA to glue it to the stock elevon, but said repairs were a bit of hassle, and wanted to try 30-45 minute Epoxy next time.

Either buy more than (1) package or just run 12" per each side of elevon.

Good luck,

Gryphon
Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 AM
The1User

Hello Guys,

I am getting ready to start my build and wanted to know what long servo arms you guys use for the HS-85MG ?

Thanks

Joe
Old 05-11-2010, 12:04 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: The1User

Hello Guys,

I am getting ready to start my build and wanted to know what long servo arms you guys use for the HS-85MG ?

Thanks

Joe
http://www.dubro.com/hobby/ecatalog/dubro/00051.htm
Part #672

The long ones.
The 4 hole arm.
Rod in end-most hole, clevis on elevon should sit about 1.25 to 1.5 inches above elevon. You will have MAX resolution and deflection, coupled with max servo strength, all packaged together with minimun deflection from any slop (you shouldnt have any, but sometimes the metal gears have a little too much backlash).
Old 05-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Maine_Flyer

A Blast from the Past

Holy Crap! I thought I was bad going to the dark side , but apparently I was only dipping my toes with the "Ole white Ghost" I see the mega 16/25/2 is still kicking some azz.. that was my favorite horse .. I ran 5s 2600 w/ a 6x3 apc in the white ghost and it was pretty radical.. put that setup in a funjet and it was insane.. clocked at 153 at the field.. stryker was probably 120 level.. had to use some serious throttle management back then cuz the C rating wasn't there.. 4-5 seconds full throttle and you better let off or you'd be making sausages out of lipos .. one thing I noticed is no one is shaving the wingtips.. just taking some thickness out of the tips made a difference .. love the new motor mounts - awesome! you guys are doing a great job with the thread.. keeping it safe while tickling the outer limits of physics is what this thread was all about.. keep up the good work dudes.. and dudettes..

this vid is on 4s 3250mah
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NdOlTtQpCo[/youtube]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43853.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1434822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27467.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1434823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94368.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	1434824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93387.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1434825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa34777.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	1434826  
Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Maine_Flyer

Oh ya, the ole white ghost still lives.. not a scratch on it!

Gryphon.. glad to see your still kickin'!!
Old 05-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Arcteryxxx

Please helpe me out here:

I have this NEU 1115 that I'm desperate to try. I waited 3 weeks for it in the mail and then I found out there's a ploblem with the set screws for mounting the motor. (None was supplied). As I live in northern Europe I guess we have a classic issue with meters, centimeters, inches and feet going on here. My 2mm metric set screws I use in all my motors don't match the holes in the NEU.
Could anyone provide me with the right dim for the set screws I have to use (seems a little thinner than 2mm) or even better; a part number for such?
I'll be forever grateful.....
Old 05-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Gryphon

Arcteryxxx ,

Both of following links show motor screw size.

see top of this one:
http://www.neumotors.com/Site/1100_series.html

See right side of this one:
http://www.neumotors.com/Site/Downlo...XX%20cases.pdf

p.s. Forever is a long time.

Gryphon
Old 05-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Gryphon

Maine_Flyer,

Hello there my old friend.

I always liked your Stryker ....I like it a lot.

You might find slightly higher max speed on 4S pushing some high AMPs (in Stryker).

On 5S and lower AMPs your motor is probably happier. The prop that you mentioned should provide great climbing and unbelievable sound.

When you are ready for 1, 1.5, or 2 extra o.z. due to larger MEGA 28mm motor let me know. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

*** I'll go check out your video.

Hope to see you around more often and to see more of your videos.

Gryphon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.