Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Old 09-15-2010, 08:26 AM
twrecks600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

ORIGINAL: moparmyway

ORIGINAL: twrecks600

Here is the current machine from the top, left and right side, front on and from the rear. Iadded a carbon rod from wing tip to wing tip and from tail to nose adhered with gorilla glue and then taped with gorilla tape. The leading edge is also gorilla taped as we have a pretty heavily grassed field that tears up leading edges very quickly!!

I glassed the first build but it was too heavy so Imoved on from there. There is no glassing of any kind on this version. It has one coat of green paint on top and that's it!! I took the time on the previous machine to poly it, sand it, primer and paint it with a fade paint job, etc... and it never flew due to weight issues so Iwent back to bare bones on the fusewith the exception of the carbon rod installation .
I just realized what you wrote........................but now I have a question, OK ???

Where is that "too heavy" Stryker that you glassed ??
How would you like it if you could fly it .............. without a bungee ??

I just hand launched a 8 pound Stryker with an 8 inch prop running 6s5000 (45/90).
If I can do it, I will bet you that YOU can do it also !!!
Do you still have that big ARC 36mm motor ????
Do you have any 3 cell batts ???
What other props have you tried to fly it with ???
Unfortunately the fully glassed fuse is at the bottom of a landfill somewhere. Looking to where Iam now, I don't think it was a weight issue but rather a CG issue. Now that Ihave the CG issue figured out, my machines have flown great!!
Iam currently running the 36-55-1 on my recent build
I have 3s 2200 mAh packs, 4s 4000 mAh packs, and 6s 2600 mAh packs available at my disposal.
Ihave tried to fly with a 6.5 X 5 being the largest and my ESC hit it's high voltage cutoff. Ihave flown with as small as a5.5 X 4.5 being the smallest which has given me the most power / speed. That prop was the one that Iran when I had the 133 mph run. I have flown witha few other props inbetween those 2 and didn't achieve the results that Iwas looking for.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:16 AM
notlex

The problem I'm having is that I have made my Stryker so heavy (40 oz.) that it requires a major league pitching arm to launch it and I refuse to hit the throttle until the plane is away from me (learned this the hard way, 12 stitches cost more than I've ever spent on a plane). 

I have to go to the local model airport because the plane is too fast for me to go to any of the local parks anymore.  My local model airport has one type of patron: the 'obese RC veteran who has spent more than $10,000 on a single 300D'.  There are no stryker enthusiasts at that airfield and nobody there does anything different than the standard 300D or the Cessna Skymaster.  I feel condescending stares when I walk out there with my $20 Stryker airframe that to the untrained eye looks like it is held together with duct tape.  I try to stay away from their precious runway and fly over by the heli-pad as far away from them as possible unless there are heli's there and then I just go home instead of fly.

Been flying for five years, various planes, I'm not great but I'm not a beginner.

What bugs the heck out of me is the people who come over to me when I'm having difficulty launching and say:

1.  Are you new to this?  Do you need me to show you how it's done? 
2.  The have free training nights on Wednesday; you see there is this thing called a 'buddy box'...
3.  You know, what you should do is buy a beginner's plane like this one here and learn on that - it would be much easier. 
4.  You know, they make a catapults to launch gliders like that or you can make one yourself using surgical tubing, what you wanna do is...
5.  You know, they usually reserve this area for the helicopters? (there isn't a heli in sight and hasn't been for a week)
6.  You know, to do this hobby right you have to spend a little more money than the $20 I see you've spent there.
7.  What you need to do first is buy a good radio like this one I have here; the Futuba 14MZ, that will make your life much easier and get you started off on the right foot.  You see, if you do things right the first time... blah blah blah
8.  You want to give it some power before you throw it, otherwise you'll never get that kind of plane off the ground.
etc.

Once I get in the air, they tend to leave me alone.

- except to walk over and say: "what kind of plane is that?" and then I tell them it's the F27 Stryker and then they say: "Oh, I've had one of those."  - how is it that they don't recognize the plane when it's held in front of their face but when you say the name suddenly they decide that they remember they've had one?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 AM
BigTender
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: notlex

The problem I'm having is that I have made my Stryker so heavy (40 oz.) that it requires a major league pitching arm to launch it and I refuse to hit the throttle until the plane is away from me (learned this the hard way, 12 stitches cost more than I've ever spent on a plane).

I have to go to the local model airport because the plane is too fast for me to go to any of the local parks anymore. My local model airport has one type of patron: the 'obese RC veteran who has spent more than $10,000 on a single 300D'. There are no stryker enthusiasts at that airfield and nobody there does anything different than the standard 300D or the Cessna Skymaster. I feel condescending stares when I walk out there with my $20 Stryker airframe that to the untrained eye looks like it is held together with duct tape. I try to stay away from their precious runway and fly over by the heli-pad as far away from them as possible unless there are heli's there and then I just go home instead of fly.

Been flying for five years, various planes, I'm not great but I'm not a beginner.

What bugs the heck out of me is the people who come over to me when I'm having difficulty launching and say:

1. Are you new to this? Do you need me to show you how it's done?
2. The have free training nights on Wednesday; you see there is this thing called a 'buddy box'...
3. You know, what you should do is buy a beginner's plane like this one here and learn on that - it would be much easier.
4. You know, they make a catapults to launch gliders like that or you can make one yourself using surgical tubing, what you wanna do is...
5. You know, they usually reserve this area for the helicopters? (there isn't a heli in sight and hasn't been for a week)
6. You know, to do this hobby right you have to spend a little more money than the $20 I see you've spent there.
7. What you need to do first is buy a good radio like this one I have here; the Futuba 14MZ, that will make your life much easier and get you started off on the right foot. You see, if you do things right the first time... blah blah blah
8. You want to give it some power before you throw it, otherwise you'll never get that kind of plane off the ground.
etc.

Once I get in the air, they tend to leave me alone.

- except to walk over and say: ''what kind of plane is that?'' and then I tell them it's the F27 Stryker and then they say: ''Oh, I've had one of those.'' - how is it that they don't recognize the plane when it's held in front of their face but when you say the name suddenly they decide that they remember they've had one?
I hate hand launching too. Build yourself a bungee launcher. Works great on strykers and edf jets. You can put one together for about $30.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:33 AM
chippedprop

BigTender

I know exactly those feelings...I taught myself to fly and I STARTED with a Stryker ( after all it doesn't look that hard to fly rc)......needless to say I become great at repairing crashed frames that should say it all.

The first couple of times I was scared to death flying in front of a crowd....OMG everyone is watching
Super dark sunglasses and a big hat helps LOL until you get comfortable enough

It took me years to work my way in the IN group.....now in I make sure to go out of my way to treat new comers as I would want to be treated

I still love the shock factor when go to a fun fly with my custom Stryker
"what's that...looks like a Stryker..( aww it's a cute little plane vs. my 3000 grand gaint scale)" is this you first plane......
After a flight
WOW...Holy Crap....Where did you get that......how much???......that's electric ( my fav.)......who taught you to fly...( uhh ME)...who made that for you ( you must be stupid)
How fast....
First time I did a fly in I went by myself and did not bring the high power set up. Not so much fun
Last time was at 2010 Joe Nall fly in with the 1100 plus watt set up on a FunJet with a long time pilot wringing it out........that was a hoot as I was surrounded by people with tons of questions

so just smile and keep improving

40oz 2.5 pounds

I think my heaviest was 32 oz

Cp

Past it on works
cp
Old 09-15-2010, 01:35 PM
funnynickname

This is a response to a post by Larry a few days ago.

The stock stryker is a bit weak, but you can get a lot more performance out of the stock motor.

1. Bigger battery. I use a 3S 3200mah.

2. Heat sink. I made one. You can go back a few pages and find it. Or you can buy one.

3. Try a 7x5 pusher prop. You'll get almost unlimited vertical, bunch more thrust and a bit higher top speed. Way more fun.

I wouldn't run the 7x5 without a heat sink. You could with some throttle control (15 seconds WOT max). I also used a 40 amp ESC, but the 30 should handle it. With a heat sink, I run WOT the whole time with no problems.

(I wish this forum wouldn't disable firefox's built in spell checker.)
Old 09-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Lord Gryphon,

I got your PM, tried to reply but says your box is full.

Thank you so much for the offer, I will let you know when I'm in need.

Keep up the great work you are doing.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:59 PM
notlex

My plane:

$20 airframe

the following I had lying around:
$2.50 walmart carbon fiber arrow shaft
$0 brushed 600 out of cordless drill with dead batteries
$13 3s 3300 lipo from korea through ebay
$100 polks hobby radio and receiver and servos
$10 60amp brushed speed controller from polks
$5 balsa (elevons, stabilizers, etc.)
$3 gorilla glue/super glue/fedex packing tape/aluminum tape
$? connectors, bell cranks, etc.
$2 battery warning beeper (ebay)
$3 8x8E prop (APC?) and prop adapter

pulls 25 amps at full throttle, battery lasts 20 mins climbing and gliding down and battery+speed controller never get warmer than human body temperature.  motor gets toasty though, especially if I push it.  this plane is used to burn out all of the old brushed motors I have sitting around and can't seem to throw away.  my handmade burly landing gear and excessive use of aluminum tape are part of the reason I'm at 40 oz. otherwise I'm like 34 oz.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Gryphon

GG,

Thanks for the heads up about my PM inbox.

I guess 1000 is its limit (beside the sent folder).

Last PM I see was from 4 days ago, so it just became full.....I'll take care of it right away.

Gryphon
Old 09-15-2010, 05:38 PM
murdnunoc

Notlex,
At 40oz. you may have just passed the limit of hand launching with the throttle off. That works OK on the super light stuff, but, as you've found out, there's only so hard you can chuck it before gravity has its way with the plane.

I'll bet torque is a big issue, too, since when you throw with no throttle, you likely immediately nail the gas as soon as you can. When the power comes to the prop, the plane rolls left (on a conventional prop) and at the low airspeed of launch, you can't overcome the roll, and a stall or cartwheel is the result. Sound familiar?

Hand launching with power on is the ticket to success on heavier birds, but I completely understand your unwillingness to do it, given your past experience.

Do you throw with your right or left hand? If you throw with your right, and your elevon control is on the right, you can help your launch by programming a switch on your radio so that both elevons are deflected UP 1/8"-1/4". This will extend your glide and buy you a second or two to get your hand back to the stick. Once the plane is climbing, you flip the switch to flight mode and resume normal flying trim. If you don't have this mix and you're interested in it, post your radio type and maybe we can get you set up with one.

Upgraded Strykers are always underrated until people see them fly. Once you get better success launching, you'll develop the reputation around your club as the guy who knows what he's doing with the fast, modified stuff.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:44 PM
moparmyway

Unfortunately the fully glassed fuse is at the bottom of a landfill somewhere. Looking to where I am now, I don't think it was a weight issue but rather a CG issue. Now that I have the CG issue figured out, my machines have flown great!!
I am currently running the 36-55-1 on my recent build
I have 3s 2200 mAh packs, 4s 4000 mAh packs, and 6s 2600 mAh packs available at my disposal.
I have tried to fly with a 6.5 X 5 being the largest and my ESC hit it's high voltage cutoff. I have flown with as small as a 5.5 X 4.5 being the smallest which has given me the most power / speed. That prop was the one that I ran when I had the 133 mph run. I have flown with a few other props inbetween those 2 and didn't achieve the results that I was looking for.
Is there any way that you can lump a few 3s2200 packs together in parallel for like 3s6600 or squeaking by with 3s4400, and do a quick static prop test with an APC 7x4 prop ????
Old 09-15-2010, 08:09 PM
dougclind

Notlex,

Since I hand launch my Strykers with power on, and you're the second guy I've heard who's got stitches, I'm really wondering if you ever analyzed why the prop hit your hand? Whatever it is you did, I don't want to do it!

And I'm stubborn (ok, some people say stupid but that's another argument) and I like launching the way I do it so I'm going to keep hand launching with power. I suppose someday I might talk myself into wearing some kind of leather glove, maybe one of my cycling gloves. But not today. So, how did it happen?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:31 PM
twrecks600

If you launch the machine in a pitching type of fashion, you will never hit the prop. When you throw the bird with throttle on, keep the hand in a downward motion until your hand hits the radio. Don't throw it like a paper airplane like most people do. You will eventually hit your hand.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:02 PM
moparmyway

I am currently running the 36-55-1 on my recent build
I have tried to fly with a 6.5 X 5 being the largest and my ESC hit it's high voltage cutoff. I have flown with as small as a 5.5 X 4.5 being the smallest which has given me the most power / speed. That prop was the one that I ran when I had the 133 mph run. I have flown with a few other props inbetween those 2 and didn't achieve the results that I was looking for.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...anchor/tm.htm#

Unfortunately, it seems as if you have found yourself with a BIG, strong motor capable of awesome power, but its kv is way too high for you to get much more speed out of it with a 5.5 inch prop. Is there any consideration of rethinking what was suggested previousely and getting the same size 2 turn, or the next size up 1 turn to LOWER your kv which will allow you to bring in a bigger prop and use your batts with more cells ??

Remember,
more cells = more power,
more power = more speed
[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 PM
bastian74

EXTREMELY tough to get any good doppler lines, but @ 2:14 I get about 125 mph @ 80 deg F
@ 2:55 you are @ about 110

Need to fly closer and keep on the throttle 3 seconds in and 3 seconds past the camera. Dont turn eithor !!!!
Actually for an accurateDoppleryou must turn. The doppler is only accurate if you capture the sound when the object is moving directly toward and away from you.
A perfect doppler you would only hear two pitches with nogradient between them, like a switch that was flipped from high to low pitch. That could only happen if the object traveled through your ear though! You can get the exact speed from a linear doppler drive by, but you must know the angles involved.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:12 PM
bastian74

Can anyone post a link(s) to r/c aircraft location devices ?
Cheap, and 300ft range:http://www.keyringer.com/

Old 09-15-2010, 10:24 PM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: bastian74
1. Actually for an accurate Doppler you must turn.
2. The doppler is only accurate if you capture the sound when the object is moving directly toward and away from you.
A perfect doppler you would only hear two pitches with no gradient between them, like a switch that was flipped from high to low pitch. That could only happen if the object traveled through your ear!
While it looks like you might have said opposite things in #1 and #2, lets not complicate things here.

1. Doppler runs MUST be straight and level, as close as you can to the recording device. NEVER TURN !!!!

2. Hence the reason for flying as close as you can to the recording device, straight in and straight away

3. Welcome to RCU, and our Thread. What is your experience with doppler analysis for speed runs, and with RC planes ??
Old 09-16-2010, 08:02 AM
notlex

murdunoc,

You are absolutely right as to what was happening with the hand launches.  I cobbled some landing gear together later that day and flew it so no more hand launches neccessary until the plane goes on a diet.

As far as cutting myself, I was using an 8 inch prop and had lowered the motor so that it was actually embedded in the foam of the fuse where the bottom of the motor can was parallel with the bottom of the fuse.  To top it all off, I was having so much fun that I became negligent and threw the plane like a paper airplane instead of pitching it like a baseball.  Nobody was around to see the accident though - thank goodness.

I like your trim trick, if my super-duper hand made landing gear fractures and I go back to hand launching I will definetely try that.

I agree with you that once you get the plane up, the others suddenly realize this isn't your first rodeo and the flood of unsolicited advice and reminders stops.  That's why last Sunday morning was so infuriating because I was thinking: "If I can just get this up like yesterday, these guys will realize I actually know what I'm doing."  But every pitch resulted in that left handed turn+stall and then straight down into the ground 20 feet away from me.  I think I was also frustrated because I haven't had an unsuccessful hand launch in months.

I can tell that I made my elevons too big because when I execute a barrel roll, the plane spins so fast that the prop is momentarily stationary with respect to the plane - jk
Old 09-16-2010, 08:11 AM
notlex

twrecks600,

You are correct, that is exactly what happened last time I cut my hand.  Couple that with a few other prop accidents and now I'm super gun shy, literally terrified to be around the prop. As a result of my excessive fear now, I was going to put a small vertical stabilizer on the bottom of the plane after the hand grip so that my hand would always be struck by the stabilizer first and never the prop.

My own fault for not exercising the level of care required for 500 watts of spinning Ginsu's.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:15 AM
murdnunoc

Notlex,
Can you post a picture or two of your landing gear? I have a growing interest in modifications to the Stryker that take it far away from the original design, and landing gear is one of them. Kind of curious to your mounting method.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:15 AM
notlex

Does anyone have an accurate way to symmetrically slenderize the wings?  a previous post suggested an electric carving knife but my dexterity would not yield a flyable result.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:00 AM
funnynickname

I bought the keyringer. Doesn't work.

The way it 'works' is one key ringer lets out a tone, and the second ringer 'hears' the tone and chirps back.

Well, it's not very loud, and with a bit of wind, you've got quite a bit of background noise.

I would say the range in a field is about 10-20 feet if you are lucky. And if your plane is face down, range is 5 feet or less.

It does not work via radio waves as you would think.

I went to radio shack and bought a smaller siren. It was high pitched and not loud enough. Range was less than 20 feet.

So the one I've got is best. It's big, but not heavy.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:05 AM
twrecks600

ORIGINAL: notlex

twrecks600,

You are correct, that is exactly what happened last time I cut my hand. Couple that with a few other prop accidents and now I'm super gun shy, literally terrified to be around the prop. As a result of my excessive fear now, I was going to put asmallvertical stabilizer on the bottom of the plane after the hand grip so that my hand would always be struck by the stabilizer first and never the prop.

My own fault for not exercising the level of care required for 500 watts of spinning Ginsu's.

Iunderstand your fear as Iam pushing 1800 watts with a 5.5 X 4.5!! Icould easily lose a finger if I'm not careful!!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:51 AM
CWHFSR

ORIGINAL: murdnunoc
Do you throw with your right or left hand? If you throw with your right, and your elevon control is on the right, you can help your launch by programming a switch on your radio so that both elevons are deflected UP 1/8''-1/4''. This will extend your glide and buy you a second or two to get your hand back to the stick. Once the plane is climbing, you flip the switch to flight mode and resume normal flying trim. If you don't have this mix and you're interested in it, post your radio type and maybe we can get you set up with one.
I've tried to figure this out with my Spectrum 6i and haven't ever found out how. Something to do with the flaps switch? Can you post up how? I know I would like to know even if the OP doesn't.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 PM
gabe_tuft

You should be able to set it in your Mix 1 or Mix 2 if you're not currently using them. Just set the aileron or elevator as the master and the flap as the slave. Set the switch to FLAP and then play with the mix. If you can't get it let us know and I'll tinker with mine. My FLAP switch is busted so I would have to do it with the gear switch.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:58 PM
funnynickname

It's not the best, but you can also just give it 2-4 clicks of up elevator trim and once in the air, put it back to neutral.

I have to because I don't have a computer radio yet.

For launching, someone at work suggested getting a kevlar cut glove from a restaurant supply store for launches. Probably still hurt you, but you won't be flayed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.