Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone Corsair hand launch

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:35 PM
zsultan
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone Corsair hand launch

Hi Guys,

I have couple of questions regarding hand launching PZ Corsair. The park where i want to fly this plane has like 2 to 3 inch tall grass, so i dont think can take off over this tall grass and only other option i have is to hand launch it.

My question to the experts on this forum is, how difficult is it to hand launch this airplane? is it hard? is it ok to hand launch or you guys prefer taking off from pavement?

I hand launch my PZ ultramicro P-51, which pretty much takes off by itself, is Corsair anything like it? any tips and tricks to hand launch this airplane will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, i am not an expert just novice. I can take off and land corsair from pavement.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Default RE: Parkzone Corsair hand launch

For me, a hand launch is just as easy if not easier than a ROG. Grab the plane by the fuse just behind the wing, put one or two fingers under the wing to help balance it. Give it full throttle, take two or three steps and give her a strong toss, with a fairly level angle with just a little upward angle. From there you can feel when you can start trimming back on the throttle. Or keep her WOT, what ever floats your boat.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:33 PM
mad web tv scientist

Default RE: Parkzone Corsair hand launch

zsultan, One thing that helped me tame the anxiety in the beginning with the F4U hand launch was to practice hand launching over tall grass without power. This worked very well with first the PZ Spitfire and then with the bent wing bird. Good dead stick hand launches provide some useful stick time that works very well in preparation for the real thing - 15-20 yards of controlled flight is possible - attempts to take even one step during the launch have resulted in scary results for me, but then I am no young 50 year old whippersnapper either.

I enjoy hand launching the Corsair with my left hand and with my right thumb on the stick. Although it seems a little awkward at first I hold the ship by the nose with finger support under the wing. With about 3/4 throttle I am able to get very comfortable launches. Watching my buddy Tim fly his F4U without gear at yesterday's CAP has stimulated the thought that I might just have to buy another one like I have done with my 109s. It's much too much trouble to be swapping back and fourth with gear/nogear and I like 'em both ways.

Its becoming abundantly clear to me that my belly landers are going to get a lot more care free flying time due to practical park flyer flying conditions than any of my landing gear equipped machines.

Enjoy!

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.