Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow Stick Speed Control

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 12:32 AM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick Speed Control

Put my slow stick in the air tonight for the first time and it flys great but, the speed control BEC keeps kicking in and shutting down the motor after just 30 seconds or so of flight. I am using the stock motor and prop, a GWS ISC100 speed control, a GWS 8.4 volt 730 mah nic-metal pack with AAA cells. The batteries are charged to capacity with a Super Nova and when the BEC kicks in, if I move the throttle back to its lowest setting for 2-3 seconds and then add power back in, it flys for another 30 to 45 seconds and then cuts out again. The batteries are providing plenty of power to the prop and I can fly for better than 10 minutes when I keep enough altitude to keep kicking the speed control back in. Anybody else experiencing this problem with this particular speed control?
Old 07-15-2003, 01:29 AM
sierra gold

What you are describing is exactly what I experienced the other day when I mixed a new pack up with an old one. The new one had not been cycled and would shut down due to BEC. If I shut the throttle down and restarted it would work again for a few seconds.

My "problem" went away by using another pack and/or cycling the new one 3 times and getting a full charge.

Are you sure yours is fully charged?
Old 07-15-2003, 02:03 AM
HitecRedneck

Batteries sure could be your problem. I suggest discharging the pack then use 75 ma to charge it back up. This on most packs will even them out and has even made radio glitches go away.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:21 AM
CCRC1

I fully charged both (I have two) with my Super Nova and had the same problem with both packs. Both battery packs are new so I will cycle them a couple of times to see if that cures the problem.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:54 AM
sierra gold

I'm not really sure of the technical reasons, but I have read many times that new packs should be discharged/charged about 3 cycles before using in the plane. They just don't go to full charge otherwise.

That's what I observed with my new packs on my first charger which didn't discharge. My Triton seems to work great - if I remember to do it and keep track of which packs are new.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:58 PM
CCRC1

Cycling the batteries cured the problem. Got almost 15 minutes flying time also!