RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   F27 STRYKER,WAY PAST THE LIMITS! Part 3 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/3191424-f27-stryker-way-past-limits-part-3-a.html)

dhmorrill 07-22-2005 06:11 PM

F27 STRYKER,WAY PAST THE LIMITS! Part 3

Ok, by request here is part 3 of the F27 Stryker Way Past The Limits. I saw that no one was jumping on this request so I am taking it upon myself to do it.

The purpose of this forum to provide all that flies the F27 Stryker a place to come and get ideas and usefull information in not only hopping up your bird but SAFETY, as stated in parts 1 and 2 safety is a big concern in making those stock strkers into sub sonic planes. Galcier Girl and Cadetman have beefed there strykers up about as much as you could and as far as I am concerned they are the leading experts on not only the stryker but the safety issues that go along with it. So lets get part three going and get some usefull infermation in here for the new commers not only in the hobby but the stryker as well.

ParrotheadMuddy 07-22-2005 06:22 PM

RE: F27 STRYKER,WAY PAST THE LIMITS! Part 3

Wow, that was quick gogo,
You may have read my post from a little while ago. I have not had the time to post much lately, but seeing the thread shut down put me into panic mode [X(]. Thanks for starting this thread, and if anyone responds to my thread, I'll direct them here. Good lookin' out bruh! [8D]

dhmorrill 07-22-2005 08:40 PM

Ya, thought I better get it started. Just a little info on my sryker project, I am running completely stock right now, waiting on my new fuse to come so I can upgrade. I will be upgrading to the same specs as CadetMan is running as far as motor and all the electronics.

solutionpoint 07-22-2005 09:41 PM

Ok, I'll throw my hat in here. I've pretty much been out of the hobby the last 10 years due to college and the family thing. My brother and I built many planes in the .40 size range and flew them around our farm.

I was amazed at how far electrics have come recently. Thank goodness for cell phones! I fell in love with this plane and like most guys here started out with a stock plane. It flew well till the stock electrics started giving out. Since I was running all stock ParkZone my LHS gave me store credit thru which I built my first mod. I followed the prior forum and learned like everyone else. Now I build and sell them for a few LHS in the area.

BTW, if anyone wants a speed demon RTR (i.e. just add crystal, letme know)... sorry shamless plug.

Only a few months ago I didn't know much about modding - the other threads have helped immensly. I would be happy to help out in anyway I can. In fact I have a good start on putting together a document on my standard setup - hopefully I'll be done in a few days.

I depart from the elders a bit on setup. I use an align setup which is used in alot of helicopters, but also play around with the standard mega/cc setup. I kinda like the align better since I can drop it into a heli and, in my case, the parts are more available (no one carries the megas in my area).. oh its about $80 cheaper too.

I'd like to thank the others who have helped me... so lets see if I can help some others.... Will post mod document asap.

My setup:
Gen II fuse ( I have extras if needed)
Balsa flaperons/ robart 1/2aa hinges / dubro hardware
JR 700 receiver
Hitec HS-81MG
Dubro hardware
Align 35a esc (or castle creations phoenix 35)
Align 3200kv brushless (or mega 16/15/4)
Thunder Power 2100 mah, 11.1v (or powerquest 1800mah, 11.1v)
5.7x3 apc prop
CF tube near trailing edge and thru center
flat CF on vert stabs

ZylamShadow 07-23-2005 05:39 AM

Hi Guys and Gals, I got the PDF from Mr FixIt (I think) and I think it would be helpful to post it on the first page (MrFix, if you could please as I don't have it on this computer!)

Also I don't know if you guys have a writeup on some stuff to do with the stock Stryker for the first time pilots, like the rubber band on the nose and over the battery compartment, and the water break in of the stocker motor.

Adios,

James.

Glacier Girl 07-23-2005 07:36 AM

GoGo, ;)

Suggest you PM one of the moderators, to put the blue box back up, on this forum, it has a wealth of info that will be lost if it isn't availible to access.
I shall be around to check up on you.[8D]

mrfixit54016 07-23-2005 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: ZylamShadow

Hi Guys and Gals, I got the PDF from Mr FixIt (I think) and I think it would be helpful to post it on the first page (MrFix, if you could please as I don't have it on this computer!)

Also I don't know if you guys have a writeup on some stuff to do with the stock Stryker for the first time pilots, like the rubber band on the nose and over the battery compartment, and the water break in of the stocker motor.

Adios,

James.
ZylamShadow,

Thanks for asking, maybe someday I will be included in the Cadetman and Glacier club!

Here is the the file you requested.

I would also suggest going back through the previous two parts of this thread. You can start a Microsoft Word document on your own computer where you can copy pieces of information from the thread and then paste it into your word document. It's like having your own little scrapbook of good info.

If you have a bone stock Stryker here are a few tips to start flying:

1. The elevons need to be level with the top surface of your wings. This is checked with the plane powered up, and the transmitter on. Make sure your little trim adjustment slides on your transmitter are set in the middle (neutral) positions.

2. The CG (center of gravity), or "balance point" of the plane is on the two dimples that you find in the hand-hold detents on the belly of your bird. To check your CG, just see if the plane balances there when you stick two fingers up there. To adjust, move your battery forward or back. The stock plane is pretty sensitive to this.

3. The hatches and battery were ALWAYS coming off my plane. Use the tips in my .pdf to keep everything in place.

4. The stock car charger for the battery pack is JUNK. If you think the plane lacks power, this is probably why. Spend $20 or $30 or more to get a real hobby quality charger. Extra batteries are at great prices at batteryspace.com. If you get a new charger, you can order the 8cell, 9.6volt NiMh battery packs there. They come in packs of two for a great price, and they will give you a slight boost in perfomance without having to change anything else on the plane.

Good Luck

under_par_00 07-23-2005 10:28 AM

solutionpoint...you said that you had extra gen II fuselages, what is the difference? I am building a stryker from spare parts and I need a fuselage. Will I get the newer fuselage if I order from horizon? Also, how do you paint them if they come unpainted?

cadetman 07-23-2005 11:00 AM

Hi All

i just thought i would drop in a little info about CofG, elevons and thrust line,
it will help you Balance your Stryker as opposed to trim it to level flight ;)
or to put it another way.. if you get your Stryker flying level regardless of the power setting when your Elevons are at Dead Centre/Neutral then it will fly faster,
most people get it somewhere near and use the elevons to trim the last tiny adjustment,
i have noticed by getting the Thrustline correct and adjusting the CofG can make a big difference,
Glacier and i swear by putting the thrust line directly thru the tip of the Stock nose cone and by adjusting the CofG so the Elevons are nuetral in when flying level,

if you need to add roll trim then check the Lateral Balance of your Stryker,
i check mine by holding the stryker on 2 pins, One one the tip of the nose and the other at the foam on the trailing edge adjacent the motor mount,
if one wing is heavier it will show up as the heavy wing will drop,
add a counter balance wieght to the light wing till the wings are level,
if the wing is balanced by you still need to add roll trim then it could be one of the wings is warped :(

dont be afraid to add a small wieght to adjust the CofG and try to find the Sweet Spot,
every Stryker HAS a different CofG to get the best from it by each Pilot ;)
if you need to add lots of wieght to get the correct CofG move the Battery Pack as its the Best Ballast available without adding wieght ;)

to finish this posting i just wanna explain Why this happens..
EPP foam is Never Consistant throughout !
for those who dont know what EPP means ( forgive the lesson for those who Know !)
its Expanded Poly Propolyne (think thats One way to spell it [&:])
in the process of making a Stryker Fuse it will have different densities and could be the correct shape but completly the wrong balance as one wing could be much heavier than the other !
it could be One wing at the front could be Heavy and the other wing at the Back is heavy !
Result would be a Bird that Fly's like a Dog hahah
most of these DUD fuses are first Runs before the Process is working at 100%
the first test batch should be disgarded but as we know a few of them hit the market,

if possible check and balance your Fuse before the Scratch Build then re balance after the build ;)

so if you have a Stryker that fly's like a Brick i will wager my Last Dollar it was made on monday morning [&o]

Cadetman

flyingace451 07-23-2005 12:46 PM

Ugh!!! You guys have got to slow down!! I haven't been on the forum for a while but I got back on a couple of days ago and I'm not done reading part I. AHHHHHH!!!!!!:D It is going to be a while before I get a Stryker. BUT, I am awaiting that day like a kid waits for summer to come. (wait...I am a kid who waits for summer to come! Hm...this is going to be harder than I thought)

dhmorrill 07-23-2005 02:29 PM

CadetMan,

That was some awsome information, I had no idea about the way that stuff is put together and that there could be that much of a differance. At one point I was kinda wondering about the consistancy of the molds.

cadetman 07-23-2005 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
gogofast

we share and build more knowledge and fly Better.. Safer and to Boldly Go were We have Never Gone Before..
Star Trek has just Finished or did you all guess that? ;)
another Gem of information is Dont do Low Fly By's to Practise for filming for the forum and get TOO Close or this May Happen to Your Tx Aerial !
this is as close as it gets without phyical contact between Pilot and RPV !
it was clipping the Grass inverted and i noticted a long thistle in the way and it caught the wing and pulled it towards me [X(] [X(] [X(]
a Stryker flying a 70 MPH inverted towards you sharpens your reflexes [>:]
if it hadnt hit the aerial first it would have hit me FIRST [X(]
only Push Past the Limits when you are Comfortable and Ready,
i have been flying my present set up for Many Months and know how she will react and respond ;)
before i forget to mention the Stryker only Glanced the Aerial [X(]
if it had hit Square On i wouldnt be typing this message [X(] [X(] [X(]

Cadetman

i cant resist editing this posting on reflection !
if it had of taken the Aerial Out completly the Tx Range would have Dropped to about 10 Feet MAX !

superjlulian38 07-23-2005 03:19 PM

I Know a lot of people blocked me but i still have
A Something to post Worth Posting
and B A question relating to the above

Today i maidened my stryker but still i had a number of problems :(
My plane was really out of trim but i see how to fix that But the worst was :(
like 3 minutes into the flight my motor just Quit on me it flew out of trim then the motor died i landed but in the high winds (7+mph winds)
my plane "landed" basically it stalled out a yard off the ground and plummeted but oddly just down not nose tip over then into the ground so now i have to replace a servo because on impact the gears stripped :(
So i need to get help as to what cause my motor to shut down for no reason.

Freshmeat 07-23-2005 03:22 PM

Some Cobalt info for those that are not quite into brushless quite yet- The promax 4014 not bad- good speed- 1/2 decent vertical- Camino would know better then I on the prop mix for that one. The 4011 was my choice, but what an amp hog- With a CC35, and a TP2100 3cell- could only use a 4.75x4.75 prop- anything larger just draws too many amps-my first try with a 6x4 could only throttle her 1/2 way and would cut out. The 4.75 was the best I found with it, still camino found the draw on that setup to be around 32-35 amps- Vertical a little better then the 4014 (hard to be actual on that as I had to use such a small prop) but the speed was quite a bit faster( that motocalc was so far off actual bench tests). Too get the full use of the 4011 with a stryker, w/o going geared(which I think would be a bad idea) would need a 50amp ESC and a 4100 battery with a 6x4- I would really like to see that. The speed I think would be incredible.Camino found the super cobalt 400 from wattage and I have been trying it the past few days. Very nice- Get about 22-26 amp draw using 5x5 to 6x4 props-runs a very decent speed- passing cars easily on the road nearby- and awesome verticals. Battery comes down just a little warm, which I thought was great- But running WOT the whole time will certainly heat up the motor(Ill have to time it a little bit to figure out recommended air time. Ill be happy to throw it up twice then burn it up on once. )And the motor is just $30-Very nice.
Remember the previous posts-ABSOLUTELY use velcro for your battery-dumb***** me lost two batteries one a $80 TP. Now I dont run with covers at all, velcro the battery and Im a flyin fool.Thanks for the tip Elders and thanks for the motor Camino.

cadetman 07-23-2005 03:33 PM

superjlulian38

now that you have your sensible head on i am sure the Stock flyers will be delighted to help you anyway they can ;)

all you have to do is Listen ;)
Cadetman

dhmorrill 07-23-2005 04:01 PM

superjlulian38,

Where are you flying, are you around power lines, any type of electrical station, I know that while flying my stryker I was next to some power lines and they were interfering with my motor making it cut out every now and then, when I relocated it was fine, you might be getting some interferance from somewhere. That is the only time I have ever had my motor cut out on me so I could not give you any advice on what else couyld cause it but I am sure someone will step in and give ya some more tips

polarbair 07-23-2005 04:10 PM

Hey Cadetman,

Thanks for starting the #3 thread. I know GG was worn out from the immense traffic #2 got there towards the end. Y'all ask for my update on my maiden flight, so here goes. Got the bird on Wednesday and GG schooled me on the proper break in of the motor, and I did it along with a few other tips as well. This morning came and it was the perfect weather to fly. No wind, clear skies, only about 75 degrees at 7am (wanted to start early, was supposed to be 102 today). Had difficulty with takeoffs, took about 6 tries to figure out i was putting to much angle on my throw (about 45degrees). Finally got it up, took about a minute to level off at 100ft or so, and adjust trim settings, and then she settled down and stopped being so squirrely (she wasnt, just my inexperience with this new plane). Was loving it, bringing it around for a few passes at 75%, just nice and mellow when wifey says, "watch out for that tree" TREE???? I was so concentrated on staring at the plane, I failed to look ahead of the plane to see this MOSTER tree from hell! Prolly 200ft high! You guessed it, BAM! So i spent the next TWO hours retrieving it from about 50ft up. No easy task I must say. So I did get to enjoy her for a brief time, and see why y'all love her so much. I was very impressed with her performance, even at stock, and after she gets out of surgery from this little oops, it will be off to a field that has NO trees!, lol.

Congrats on the new thread and thanks for all your help so far, it made my first flight alot less problematic, sort of, lol

dhmorrill 07-23-2005 04:34 PM

Polarbair,

Sounds like a flight I had, was paying attention to the plane and all a sudden BAM stuck her into a cyclone fence, funny thing is it just munched my nose a little and it stayed stuck in the fence, stopped in its tracks:)

KiwiKid 07-23-2005 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, Gotta love that BP21 power unit. With the help of the
elders I have gotten the hang of installing this bad boy and have three
of my fleet running on it now with 3 cell lipos. In each case the weight saving
and power increase generated at least 100% improvement in performance for
a modest cash outlay. Been out at the club field today and had a ball. To brighten
things up heres some pics of my BP21 fleet. Stryker, E-Jazz Extreme and Kyosho
Soarus. Next to get the treatment will be a Me 163 Komet.

KiwiKid

dhmorrill 07-24-2005 12:34 AM

KiwiKid,

That is a very nice fleet ya got going there, I am working on my 3rd for my fleet, I have my stryker, a blade EP heli, and I am getting started on a P-51 Mustang that I am very excited about, it will be my first scratch built.

superjlulian38 07-24-2005 02:16 AM

I've Read mrfixit's guide about ways to hold the hatches down and nose on and other things but i don't unserstand what the nose rubberband thing is . I Get Bore a hole in the nose then i'm just lost after that how can i pass them through a hole i'm lost someone explain this to me ,well at least i think i may have found the source of my problem with my motor :) it seems that it must be a servo ,it was an old servo it was running slightly sparaticly which may have caused interference :( well servos not doing their job pay the price (that servo has stripped gears now)

cadetman 07-24-2005 07:36 AM

superjlulian38

NOSE CONE ATTATCHMENT
By: BRAD MITCHELL AKA Glacier - 14 Kit Tips Posted | 0 Products Rated
Posted: 03/22/05
There are several ways to attach the nose cone on. This one keeps the nose on tight,yet allows it to give on impact. Insert a small diamater control rod tube, with a tooth pick inside it, through the side of the nose cone aprox 1/2" forward of the rear. Take an exacto knife and trim out a small hole in the rear of the nose cone to expose the rod you inserted. Loop a rubber band around the rod. Take exacto knife and make a matching hole in fuselage. Pull rubber band ends through hole and loop over a small dowel rod aprox 1" long. Put a small amount of epoxy on dowel to hold in place. Now rubber band will hold nose tight and in position, but will allow it to move on impacts to lessen forces on fuselage.
does this help ?

and Just for the record.. to the best of my Knowledge Glacier Invented this Idea [8D]

so if it works for you then why not PM him a "thankyou" for his time and efforts ;)
after all he is active/watching what is being posted just as i am too [8D]

Cadetman

cadetman 07-24-2005 08:12 AM

polarbair

Thanks for starting the #3 thread. I know GG was worn out from the immense traffic #2 got there towards the end.
i cant take the credit for #3 it was GoGoFast who started it off ;)

Glacier didnt get worn out from traffic he was doing what all Elders did answering questions to the best of ability..
but what we expected was the newbies to at least read back a couple of pages :)
ok 75 pages is a bit long and there is some Brill Laughs to be Had and Really Good Info to help any Newbie if you read it all,
as Glacier posted "We" are passing information to the Next Generation of Stryker Flyers..
we have held Nothing Back.. and now its time for the Next Generation to take it to a Higher Level ;)
but still with the Emphasis on Safety and sharing the wisdom to those who will use it Wisely ;)

the Stryker is an Incredible Flying Platform for many idea's

Keep Up the Good Work ;)

Cadetman

Glacier Girl 07-24-2005 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SJ, Does this help?

dhmorrill 07-24-2005 02:22 PM

As soon as the forum moderator can get to it, there will be a blue box added to the forum brought over from part 2 that will have many recources, specs, best setup and so forth that has all been put together by other members, so when that gets added I advise all new commers to visit the links and read up as there is a bunch of good information and ideas. As CadetMan as stated the emphasis here is safety, we want you all to have fun flying your strykers but we also want you all to be alert and think about the safety of yourselves and others.

I am here to learn and I still have alot to learn as I am by far no expert here, what I have learned here, I have learned from reading and taking the advise of good peaople like GlacierGirl and CadetMan. We all want to have fun and go that one step further to the dark side and I just want everyone to be safe doing it. Ok, I am done with the preaching of being safe, now it is time to get down and dirty and have some fun.