RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   "BEST RTF AIRPLANE ON THE MARKET" !!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/3306314-%22best-rtf-airplane-market%22.html)

SigMan 08-28-2005 06:29 AM

"BEST RTF AIRPLANE ON THE MARKET" !!!

looking for the best RTF sport/3-D, money is no problem, but building time is ! any suggestion would be great, thanks !

Woodsy 08-31-2005 01:54 AM

RE: "BEST RTF AIRPLANE ON THE MARKET" !!!

well not sure how you qualify "best" but the T hawk is a pretty good package for the price, well at least here in Aussie it is.

[link=http://www.radiocontrolled.com.au/t_hawk.htm]t hawk[/link]

rmenke 09-01-2005 07:36 PM

Just went on the web to give a shout to RCX planes.com and my great experience with them. A few weeks ago, got the opportunity to fly a friends "Illusion. Fell in love and had to have one, period. I ordered mine on line anlong with a apc 9 X 3.8 prop. Bud Wilkinson responded to me with the question about my motor size as the prop selection was small. Told him AXI 2208. He took the time to again respond and tell me the 2208 would be a little underpowered for the Illusion. Did not want to pay the bucks for their Hacker, a very reasonable $69.00 for the 20-20L and would use the AXI 2212 I now have.

I received my shipment in 3 days, on the 3rd day, and started to build that evening.

What I liked!

The tab design made putting thing togeather a snap. You have to have 2- 2 X 6 or 1 X 6 particleboard shelving to keep things streight. Local lumberyards did not have any good streight lumber (California). The shelving was cheeper and streight. The instruction booklet was complete and worked out very well if you follow the instructions and related measurement requirements. As a result, I did not have to add any sevo extensions. The overall design was well thought out. All the needed clevises and pushrods were supplied, and all fit correctly, a first for me in recent years. With AXI 2212, Thunderpower 1320 pack, Hitec 55 servos and GWS receiver, and painted, the total weight is 15.5 OZ.

What I did not like:

Photos in the instruction booklet were not sharp and clear, forcing me to read the instructions closely. After building for 55 years, I am lazy, sharp photos would have saved me some time. Follow the instructions and measurements and you will be pleased with the results.

Lets go fly:

After cycling the TP battery 3 times per recommendtions, I threw the ship and transmitter into the Outback and ran down to my local park, 3 blocks. Turned on the transmitter and pluged her in for first flight and set the timer on the JR 10X for 12 minutes. In taking the plane out of the car, the wind almost tore it out of my hands, guess 15-20 mph. Regardless I came to fly. Set her down with the prop running to keep up with the wind. Applied power and woops, instant hover! A few clicks down trim and in about 2 minutes I was on high rates, 45% plus with 50% expo in the elevator. The only effect the wind had on this foamy was the tendency to weathervane. I became very cumfortable with the plane in the first 6-8 minutes. Was able to hover, torque roll and elevator the first flight, and I am no hot shot. When the timmer wet off at 12 minutes, the wind at ground level was getting rough. Rather than attempting a conventinal landing, I elevatored down to a very soft landing. Hover was at less than 1/2 throttle, I think the 2208 would have been adequate, but the 2212 is just simply great.

I wish to publicly thank Bud Wilkinson @ www.rcxplanes.com for his great pre and post purchase service and a outstanding product in the "Illusion". He and product rival my best past great experience with Chip Hide and his Cap X and Doublevision. Outstanding products and service seldom come hand in hand, at reasonable prices for quality. In this case I highly recommend Bud Wilkinson and his Illusion. I will be back for more when finances permit. Go ahead, try to pry this little foamy out of my cold dead hands!

RickAvery 09-01-2005 11:25 PM

Sky scooter pro II, $99.00 this weekend at hobby people. Best flying aileron RTF hands down.
Rick

RCXPLANES 09-01-2005 11:32 PM

rmenke,
I am so glad that you like your new Illusion. 15-20 MPH winds are pretty severe for any foamy. But that is why the planes are built the way they are because most of us will rarely if ever get to fly indoors. I don't know if I would classify it an RTF but rather a Foamy Kit even though the build time is pretty short.
I do appologise for the quality and size of the pictures in the instructions. I have to say that writing and publishing instructions the single most area that we need to improve on. Unlike the plane kits, it always seems to be a compromise. I use a lot of words and include a lot of pictures but want to keep the page count down to 10 total pages. Consequently the pictures and text are smallish in print and the clarity of pictures suffers in B&W.
It is a foamy after all and we still have a better manual than most I have seen. The instructions are posted on the Construction page of the web site in PDF format in high quality color so pictures can be zoomed in on pretty far before distortion. We have also posted some full size CAD 3D rendering pictures to help sort out some questions. Unfortunately your copy of the instructions must be an earlier version without the text telling of the posted instructions and CAD renderings.
I am glad to hear how quickly you became comfortable with the Illusion. It really does inspire some confidence in a pilot, even in higher winds. To be mentioned in the same sentence with Chip Hyde in regards to quality of service and product is truely an honor for us here at RC-Xplanes. We do pride ourselvs on our customer service and stand behind all of our products to the end. As I have posted before, if you build any of our planes as instructed, equip it as recomended and utilize our customer support whenever you need it, you will be 100% satisfied with the resulting plane or I will buy it back.
For you to require the Illusion to be pryed out of your cold dead hands before you would give it up completely justifies to us the path we are on at RC-Xplanes. We look forward to serving you in the future in any way we can. Thanks for the kind and supportive words Roger.

Enjoy