RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   COX Micro Warbirds (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/3522428-cox-micro-warbirds.html)

CptSBW 11-04-2005 09:03 PM

COX Micro Warbirds

Finally...

My P47 and P51 micro Warbirds arrived on the front step today!!!! First thoughts are they look great, the instructions are in full color and written in English. Will start assembly and see how it goes, but after a very long wait I am excited. These are really cool looking birds.

Steven

Crash+Burn 11-05-2005 11:04 AM

RE: COX Micro Warbirds

You said it, Seemed like I waited forever but they seem worth the wait at these prices. Very well built and good looking. I got the P-40 Warhawk yesterday. Cant wait to start. I'm thinking of installing a micro CD Rom Brushless in it instead of that heavy little brushed junk.
Will post build pics.

flyinrog 11-05-2005 07:29 PM

So they are actually shipping ...I know the paint wont hold up but,,I'm looking at putting a peewee .cox .020 in one....Rog

speedpro 1 11-05-2005 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
done ... have not flown yet too windy.put in a 250ma lipo , did a static test on ran about 4 to 5 minutes motor smelled hot my have done better in air .

CptSBW 11-06-2005 01:59 AM

Speedpro, which battery pack did you use? I am having trouble finding one that fits.

speedpro 1 11-06-2005 09:41 AM

the etec brand from hobby lobby

speedpro 1 11-06-2005 09:50 AM

did the maiden today a little windy but did very good just hung up there into the wind and hauled going down wind flew about 4 min but only took 30 min to recharge so i had some left.

MR TBONE 11-11-2005 10:11 PM

I've got a corsair, and this is the power setup that works well, although I would like some feedback on your guy's systems.
Feigo 36 turn brushless motor
BP 10amp speed control (both can purchased from RC World of Planes or Balsa Products for about 60 bucks)
Thunder Power 2 cell 480mah Lipo
GWS micro servos and reciever
GWS 4x2 prop and adapter

This seems to work well with long run times and excellent vertical ability. I had thought about a 3 cell lipo, but the motor ran too hot for it with the 4x2 prop, and I thought the 3X2 prop was too small due to the front of the plane diameter being too large.

WINANS 11-21-2005 11:18 PM

FlyinROG,

They are actually well suited to a TD 0.010. I stuck one in a P-51 long ago and it was a good mate. You could always spray on a light coat of clear WPU to seal the paint from nitro exhaust.

Pull out your old .010 that's sitting around and crank up a nitro micro warbird!

Scott

Woodsy 11-22-2005 08:43 PM

For any Aussies that are interested i've got some of these just arived from USA, hope to have a P47 built up with brushed gear and a Corsair with brushless gear by end of next week so i can compare how they fly.

Also got some spares if any one wants to buy one, or 6.

twiztidbowler 11-24-2005 04:08 AM

I just test flew my corsair today and it flies great Using the stock motor 2 2 cell 250 lipoly packs wired together to make a 500 pack 2 cirrus cs101 servos 7 amp speedcontrol and a hitec reciever Flies for about 10 mins

Rocketeer10 11-28-2005 04:44 PM

I just flew my P-47 Thunderbolt for the first time with the recommended Astro Flight Firefly 4:1 geared motor and a 2-cell Apache E-Tec 300mAh lipoly and a drilled out GWS EP-6050 prop. It is a hoot to fly and will loop easily and even do a decent stall turn. Flies very nicely but needed about 8 grams of nose weight to balance properly. I wish I had mounted the servos further forward! Also I increased control throws about 15%

nice little fighter!
GY

Vraptor04 11-28-2005 06:38 PM

I am wondering if a GWS NiMH 8.4V/750mAh will fit into the plane and will it burn out the motor fast? Thanks, Tommy

Thomas B 11-28-2005 10:33 PM

I just got a couple of these and think they are the best thing Cox has done in a while.

The 2 cell Etec 450 packs look to fit the best, with a great form factor (more like a fat stick of gum)

I am going to do both my P-47 and Corsair with ailerons and upgrade the Corsair to brushless, I think.

The Estes side of the house is marketing the same basic models to the R/C toy market, with cheapie single channel rudder control for around 29.95. They have a different 4 cell motor for NiMH batteries and use the same props. Interestingl, they come in some different color schemes, such as a white, light blue and mid blue Corsair and a silver and yellow P-47.

Vraptor04 11-29-2005 09:35 AM

i also have a GWS 6-cell 7.2V/150 mAh Ni-cd. Which will be better? And if you do convert it, please post how. Im getting a P-47 and a P-40 so i may want to convert one.

quint-rcu 01-31-2006 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Gerryy

I just flew my P-47 Thunderbolt for the first time with the recommended Astro Flight Firefly 4:1 geared motor and a 2-cell Apache E-Tec 300mAh lipoly and a drilled out GWS EP-6050 prop. It is a hoot to fly and will loop easily and even do a decent stall turn. Flies very nicely but needed about 8 grams of nose weight to balance properly. I wish I had mounted the servos further forward! Also I increased control throws about 15%
After reading your post here and the article in the March issue of Model Airplane News I paid a visit to the coxmodels.com site and the folks at Balsa Products. A few $$ later I was the proud owner of a P-51 and a Corsair with the trimmings. The only diference from what you used was to substitute the Cox servos when I bought the foamies. Had to get the coreless motor setup from Tower Hobbies, (I believe that the price you quoted in the article is just for the motor. The set with the ESC is a bit higher) but thanks to a coupon they are on the way.

For the past 53 years I have been a 'balsa' guy with 2 and 4 stroke power. This will be my first shot at a park flier and I'm looking forward to tosing these little darlings around the sky. I think I will do like some others have done and use ailerons instead of the smallish rudders. Thanks for the postings and I'll let you all know how they work out when I get them flying.

P.S. I'll remember to check the CG before finalizing the servo installations

Rocketeer10 02-01-2006 09:50 AM

Raul, thanks for your email! I am glad you found my article of some use. I
love the little P-47 I am amazed at how easy it is to fly. I will be trying
it indoors soon at a big sports dome. It does fly a little fast so I have
not tried it in the local school gym. Good luck I know you'll love these
little warbirds
GY

critterhunter 02-01-2006 09:38 PM

I'm really taking a fancy to these tiny slick looking war birds. Tempted to buy and build one. I'd want to go lipo and brushless with it. Can anybody recommend a good but cheap brushless motor (maybe something from balsa products) and the biggest MA lipo (2 or 3 cell?) I could run in her? Also will take advice on a speed control, servos and RX for it as I've never built a plane this tiny before.

Cptn. Krunch 02-03-2006 04:55 PM

Critterhunter,
May I relate some experience…I found that a hot brushless motor on this type of plane is kind of overkill after half power. Want to see a Spitfire's undercambered wing vaporize? Ask me how I know...:D I wound a hot little GB job and used a Castle 10 on 3 340 lipos. It was really funny to see it buzz by and then hear this droning sound at 2/3 power....then poof! No wing and 50 ft to descend. [:@]The battery was a write-off as was the plane. :(Talk about pure vertical though…no speed change from horizontal to vertical. I later sheeted the wing bottoms on the other hot rod set ups and it solves a couple of issues. No more flapping wings and no high speed stalls in turns. Oh, I made all of mine aileron planes including the P-40, Zero and the 109.
I just ordered the Corsair!!! Hmmmm, my 20mm CD will fit right in there:eek:
Way to go Cox!! Now, get the moulding for the Hobbico Predator and release a RC version this size!
Cheers,
Cptn.K

bribeguy 02-04-2006 11:13 AM

Is the Astro Flight Firefly motor for these little warbirds brushless or is it just a standard brushed motor? I have checked a few places, and seem to be getting conflicting info.

quint-rcu 02-06-2006 11:02 AM

The literature on my Firefly said 'brushless'. I am also impressed with the power for it's size.

You might also check Gerry Yarrish's article in the March issue of Model Airplane News for good information on sources for a receiver, ESC, etc. The Model Airplane News web page has a link that eventualy gets you to the following video clip of the P-51 flying:
http://radiocontrolzone.com/common/v...FoamiesP51.zip

bribeguy 02-07-2006 01:05 AM

Thanx for the info, and for the link to the great little video clip!

I think that just sealed my decision to pick up one (or two...) of these little birds. They look fantastic, seem to fly pretty decent, and hey.............for the price a guy can hardly go wrong!

bribeguy 02-07-2006 11:58 AM

Hey, another quick question...................

I know these little planes come with a stock motor, but do they come with an ESC as well? I'm just putting together a little order for some electronics and wanna make sure I don't forget anything!

So far I'm thinking:

Servos: Either Bluebird BMS-303 Coreless Sub-Micro Servo (4.1g) or Blue Arrow BA-TS-3.6g Micro Servo

Reciever: Either Blue Bird BMR-04 Horizontal Pin or Blue Arrow R3P4-J II 3.8g Receiver

Anybody know any pros/cons of the Blubird vs. Blue Arrow products (all I know is that the Blue Arrow stuff seems to be a few grams lighter...)?

Cptn. Krunch 02-07-2006 12:25 PM

You need a SC. I use a Plantraco RX/ESC combo. Sure saves a lot of weight and space. I don't know if they are available any more though. Since you live in Calgary, you could ask Henry at Zebra Hobby if he has any left. I bought 3 of them for my Hobbico/Cox flyers.
Cheers,
Cptn.K

bribeguy 02-07-2006 01:30 PM

Thanx Cptn. Krunch.

I'd never even heard of Zebra Hobbies, but checked it out and actually ordered some other stuff.

I think I'm gonna stick with seperate components so it's easier to swap stuff around in the future. I'm gonna start off with the stock motor and a Castle Creations Pixie ESC, and maybe go to the Firefly or Faego motor in the future one i get a feel for the plane.