RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   F27 STRYKER, WAY PAST THE LIMITS! PART 4... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/3738912-f27-stryker-way-past-limits-part-4-a.html)

critterhunter 01-06-2006 09:14 AM

F27 STRYKER, WAY PAST THE LIMITS! PART 4...

OK, it was suggested to start a new thread for the on going saga known as "The Dark Side". More specifically, macking out the great little plane known as the F27 Stryker by Parkzone. It is a fun plane to fly stock. In fact, I remember thinking "Man, this plane is fast!" when I flew the stock bird for the first time. Are you new to the stock Stryker and still think that? If so, you haven't seen anything yet....This bird is capable of so much more in both speed and performance! Let the mods continue and let's keep it safe!

cadetman 01-06-2006 10:16 AM

RE: F27 STRYKER, WAY PAST THE LIMITS! PART 4...

critterhunter

a new chapter with more info [8D]

its now your duty to contact admin and have them copy the resources box over to this thread and you should copy your info posting into that box too ;)

keep up the good work,

and to the Newbies who gain info and help from this and other threads it take but a moment of your time to send a PM to anyone who spends time and thank them for sharing ;)

i too will be reading and help when i can,

Good luck to One and All :D

Ray the Cadetman

RayRay 01-06-2006 05:47 PM

Hi Critter,

Glad to see that another torch has been passed and that you started Part IV of this incredible Stryker thread.
I agree with GG and Cadetman that you have come a really long way with the Stryker and am confident that you will continue doing a great job helping with the "newbies".
Even though, I haven't been posting lately, I have been watching in the background and am proud to see this wealth of good information being passed on to the "next generation". ;)

Congratulations [sm=thumbup.gif] and let the Stryker Legacy continue.

Ray Ray [sm=cool.gif]

flyingace451 01-06-2006 05:49 PM

I remember thinking "Man, this plane is fast!" when I flew the stock bird for the first time
Hm...I guess that means that I'm a true newb. Because that is what I think now! [X(]

I've seen cadetman's vids, I know what she's capable of, I just haven't experienced it myself.

cadetman 01-06-2006 07:38 PM

flyingace451

ORIGINAL: flyingace451

I remember thinking "Man, this plane is fast!" when I flew the stock bird for the first time
Hm...I guess that means that I'm a true newb. Because that is what I think now! [X(]

I've seen cadetman's vids, I know what she's capable of, I just haven't experienced it myself.
we all started with a stock stryker.. this is the start of a journey along a road..
we are lucky because we have help from others in our quest ;)

the power of the force is strong [>:] we learn.. and then we learn to teach others ;)

for your entertainment here is a Vid http://savefile.com/files/8950557
dont be fooled into thinking the F16 is slow !
the cameraman did an excellent job of following it !

Ray

soon i will post a Vid of the F16 that will make you wonder if it has been faked ! [&:]

RayRay 01-06-2006 08:46 PM

CM Ray,

As they say on your side of the pond, that video was "brill" ;)
And some brill flying as well. Is that a Walkera F-16?
I see what you mean, the large size of your F-16 gives the illusion of flying slow.
I could see during the low passes that its moving quite fast.

Thanks for the vid,

RR

flyingace451 01-06-2006 09:08 PM

You always seem to find the perfect music for each video. ;)

Is that the same F-16 that you showed us standing up by a door?[X(]

flyingace451 01-06-2006 09:10 PM

YAY! I'm posting the first "real" question for this new thread.

OK, what kind of ESC would be best for the stock Stryker motor? 20 amp? More? Less?

Just wondering, because that is the next thing that I need to buy for my new radio set. (YES! Then after that, one more servo and then, PLANE TIME!)

cadetman 01-07-2006 03:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
RayRay and flyingace451

ORIGINAL: RayRay

CM Ray,

As they say on your side of the pond, that video was "brill" ;)
And some brill flying as well. Is that a Walkera F-16?
I see what you mean, the large size of your F-16 gives the illusion of flying slow.
I could see during the low passes that its moving quite fast.

Thanks for the vid,

RR

this is a Cadetman venture ;)

DepronJet.co.uk is my entry into the world of blending Depron with Vac formed plastic and carbon fiber :D

below is a pic of the cockpit/battery bay and nose cone,
those parts are 21 inches long [X(]
the kit will be on sale in Febuary, this is not a Park Jet !
due to the nose cone being Vac formed plastic it will never be concidered a park jet anywere in the world and in the build instructions it makes this very clear,

also you need a big hanger for this baby as its 5 ft long :D
it flies on 3 channels and is very stable in flight ;)

Ray

cadetman 01-07-2006 03:29 AM

flyingace451

if you PM me your address i will send you a package ;)
i have a 30amp Brushed ESC and motors just collecting dust as i have moved onto brushless,

Ray

SCHLEPP 01-07-2006 07:27 AM

Critter, could you tell me what I'll need to mount a prop on my bp-21, such as a prop saver or whatever, thanks. What prop would you recommend?

XH2OMANN 01-07-2006 08:04 AM

Lord Hunter

Congrats your Eldership. You are the chosen one, and you deserve it. Keep the spirit of Styrkerism and sharing of knowledge going.

Glacier Girl

Thanks for all your help in the past. Good luck with your new interests. Take care.

JIM

cadetman 01-07-2006 10:40 AM

SCHLEPP

ORIGINAL: SCHLEPP

Critter, could you tell me what I'll need to mount a prop on my bp-21, such as a prop saver or whatever, thanks. What prop would you recommend?
Prop Saver ! whats one of those? [&:]..
a Nose saver Yes.. Good idea.. hahah

just josting my friend ;)

an APC 7x6 is the best prop for the BP21
GWS do a cheap 7x6 but i stopped buying them as i couldnt afford a new prop every second flight ! [:@]
the shaft on the BP21 is 3mm but when i Last took out my Micrometer ( its Good to get your Micrometer out every once in a while :D ) its actually 2.71 mm
a 3mm shaft prop adaptor is what you need,

or if your prepared to do a bit of cut and shut you can simply make a prop shim that holds a apc dead centre on the BP21 shaft ;)
i hope this helps your Quest

Ray

Warp10 01-07-2006 04:03 PM

First off congrats Critter!
Second, I am having a real issue setting up my radio (JR6102) for the stryker. I have a BL setup with the JR 610UL Rx. Now, this is my first computer radio so I'm still learning. I read and re-read the manual, posted in the radio forum, but still have not got it. I set the radio up for elevon with D/R on the aileron switch. But the problem is when I go left both the aileron and elevator channels go left. If I pull down for elevator the aileron and elevator channels split <-> one up one down. I was hoping someone here could clue me in I would love to get this bird in the air. Maybe I'm missing something and I know this is the stryker forum but if someone could guide me here or even elsewhere I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks for any and all help.

drunkenbushman 01-07-2006 06:25 PM

Morning all,

Critter congrats mate well desreved and GG i do hope you still pop in every now n then.

Now i just wanted to say thanks to who ever it was who gave me the tip for putting on the elevons, folding them and taping, that was the best tip ever. Once i finally had then as level and equal as i think possible for my shaky hands buy foliding them all the way over n all the way up it was bloody easy to tape them with no bubbles and keep then fairly even.

I had alrdy done them in my own way but i wasnt satisfyed with they outcome so i did em again. Very tediouse job n fiddley and i hate fiddley, having fat fingures n all, so cheers for that tip.

Next tip please, can somebody post the link to the box of information thingy please?

cadetman 01-08-2006 02:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

Thanks to all who downloaded the Vid ;)
it keeps the file alive if its downloaded every once in while [8D]

in the first pic below you will see the F16 and a Brush to give you an idea of the size of this baby

and in Pic 2 you will see a Brushless F16 :D

and pic 3 is to show the sleek lines

Ray

drunkenbushman 01-08-2006 06:04 AM

Cadetman that sure is a small brush, was it made for a dawrf or elf? :D

*joking btw* [>:]

Nice plane mate.

critterhunter 01-08-2006 01:45 PM

Been busy over the last few days and still am today. So, I don't have much time to post at the moment or do the housekeeping suggested by Cadetman. I will this week, however. Once again, thanks for the Elder status but I want the newbies to understand one thing. Don't be fooled into thinking I know every little techical aspect of RC as I'll be the first to say I don't. My expertise for now will mainly be limited to showing you how to build a Stryker, mod it for strength, and mack it out with other mods that will make life in the field faster and more friendly when servicing the plane. As I also said, I can walk you through installing standard electronics into it, both brushed or brushless, and recommend an ESC, RX, and a lipo size and raiting that will handle the amp draw.

Remember as we've all been told that safety comes first. This plane doing the speeds that can be achieved with a brushed motor, not to mention a brushless motor, can do some REAL damage to both people and property. If you don't think an RC plane can be too much of a threat I'll only relate that one friend broke several ribs this past summer after being wacked by an Extreme he was trying to land at his feet. So, while we are on safety here's a couple quick tips: NEVER launch, land, or fly the Stryker in the direction of you or others. Find yourself a large area to fly where you can make mistakes. Make sure the prop is secure before each flight and keep your face, hands, eyes and any other body parts you don't want to loose well away when the motor is in motion. There is also always a chance the prop and/or adaptor could seperate from the shaft and then you've got a flying bullet looking for something soft to stab it's self into.

Running out of time today and have to run but a few quick answers...

The prop adapter I like is a bullet 3mm type. If you look through pages 65 to 70+ of thread number three you'll see a picture, name and model number of a good one. I've had other types fail on me and throw the prop or the entire adapter off the shaft. Once you've snugged the prop and adapter down I'd play it safe and put some nail polish or a little rubber cement onto the set screw heads to keep them from vibrating loose.

On the question about the stock brushed 480 motor speed control. I believe I've read the stock motor with stock 7 cell prop draws around 20+ amps at WOT. It's always a good idea to use a higher amp speed control than you need. This prevents the ESC from overheating and allows for future motor upgrades. This is why a lot of us with BP21s use the BP30 speed control while you can get away with one around 18 or 20 amps. I think the BP21 with a 7x6 prop draws somewhere just under 20 amps. Your other consideration in amp draw is the C raiting of the battery pack. It has to have a high enough C raiting to handle handle whatever amount of amps the motor/prop combination is going to demand at WOT (wide open throttle).

All for now but will be back as soon as possible.

RayRay 01-08-2006 02:10 PM

Well put Critter,

SAFETY must come first when RC flying.

To all:

We were just speaking of lipo "C" rating on the Badius thread. That post would dovetail nicely here. Here it is:

ORIGINAL: RayRay

RC,

Yes the "C" is the discharge rate in amps. So a 15C 1000mah pack has a discharge rate of 15amps. Now here's where you have to be careful when buying lipos. Manufacturers such as Thunder Power or Tanic will disclose the continuous discharge rate and the max discharge rate (in short bursts). As Lou said, his pack will run 15C continuous and up to 24C max. A cheaper pack like Dymond will advertise 10C, but I have not yet confirmed if this is continuous or not.

If you want to figure out the continuous amps that your lipo pack can handle, use this formula: Capacity (mah) x continuous Discharge rate (C) = Amps.

So, Lou's Thunder Power pack can handle: 2100mah x 15C = 31.5amps continuous.
My 2000mah, 10C Dymond packs can handle 20amps.

Hope this helps.

"Rabbid"

Hey AJ - Thanks for the flight report with the little Fokker. Amazing that your prop didn't crack in half. Twin EDFs, huh? hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

"Rabbid"

flyingace451 01-08-2006 05:48 PM

Wow thanks Critter. This summer, I'll be able to drive to the field (woohoo! Turning 16 in April) and fly my new standerd electronics Stryker. Of course, I'm gonna have a job...so that might drop my flying opportunities. I hope to get a job at my LHS. Can you say employee discount?:D[>:]:D

gleebs 01-08-2006 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Warp10

First off congrats Critter!
Second, I am having a real issue setting up my radio (JR6102) for the stryker. I have a BL setup with the JR 610UL Rx. Now, this is my first computer radio so I'm still learning. I read and re-read the manual, posted in the radio forum, but still have not got it. I set the radio up for elevon with D/R on the aileron switch. But the problem is when I go left both the aileron and elevator channels go left. If I pull down for elevator the aileron and elevator channels split <-> one up one down. I was hoping someone here could clue me in I would love to get this bird in the air. Maybe I'm missing something and I know this is the stryker forum but if someone could guide me here or even elsewhere I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks for any and all help.
Warp10,

What you need to do first is make sure you have the right wing type selected. Scroll through the menu until you find flaperon/elevon/v-tail and turn on elevon (the other two should disappear as they can no longer be options). Now standing at the back of the bird take the left servo and plug it into the aileron port of your Rx. Plug the right servo into the elevator port of the Rx. Scroll through the setup menu until you see the channel reversing screen. Reverse both the Aile and Elev channels. Your plane should now work properly.

gleebs 01-08-2006 10:41 PM

Does anyone know the wing area of the stryker?

bleary 01-09-2006 07:11 AM

First up congrats to Critterhunter,in his new elder status,well deserved.
Falcon Finder,sorry your triple motor setup on your twin jet didn't work out,interesting experiment tho.
Just a quick question if anyone can help me;I have just recently bought a JR Max 66 computer radio to replace my Hitec Laser 4.Seems to be a reasonable radio for the price with reasonable features,just not sure if I have it set up right.On the Laser 4 I would crank left or right to spin the plane,then give a bit of up elevator to bring her round so to speak.This seemed to work ok,but I had a bit of an issue with mode 1,and wanted to go to mode 2.....changing over is a bit of a story in itself...
Now with the JR,the way that I have set it up does the same thing I think.The plane will bank to left or right depending on which way I move the RIGHT stick,and up or down is as per normal,again on the RIGHT stick..(throttle on LEFT,remember silly..)But when I pull the right stick into either of the diagonal corners of its movement,only 1 aeliron will move,and move a lot more than when I am moving the stick from left to right or opposite,when 1 goes up,and another goes down.
How have others got there setups going?I would have thought that to move the stick to the diagonal(ie between left and right and up and down),you would get both aelirons to move,one more so than the other,so as to get a turn with one movement of the stick,rather than having to bank the plane,then crank it up to complete the turn.
Actually this is sounding particularly garbled as I type this,so if someone on mode 2 can tell me how their right stick moves the control surfaces,I would be most grateful.
One other interesting thing flying the other day,having expoxied a new motor mount to strengthen it,I just supported it with the two bolts through the aft ring...bad mistake,the torque of the little Align was forcing the motor to aim downwards at the rear,consequently altering the thrust line to achieve a constant dive.A small cable tie around the front of the motor solved that problem,but it was interesting to see how fast I could get my hands on the sticks after launch to avoid the lawnmower syndrome.Ending up I broke a prop adaptor,and got stuck in a tree...but got her down with a handy big stick and some gymnastics.Then the curator of the school I was flying at came over and kicked me off....not so bad,got in about 5 good flights.
Anyways maybe I am all wrong with the radio questions,but I don't know who else to ask,the guy in the LHS has no Idea,and I always end up coming out of there with something expensive....bloody dangerous.
Any advice gladly recieved.
Cheers,
Bleary.

Hagar69 01-09-2006 10:33 AM

Bleary,
Your alieron movements sound correct. The stock Stryker does the same thing.

--
Hagar

dhmorrill 01-09-2006 01:11 PM

It is good to see that the saga continues, after a long absense away from the cockpit and the puter I am back on board and ready to offer anything that I can. I know many have thought I was missing in action and the website was a bomb, well not no more. Its good to see everyone still active and I hope everyone had a great holliday. I am trying to get caught up on the thread and as soon as I do that I will get my but busy.