RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   GWS Pico TIGER MOTH - Flight Report (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/4278692-gws-pico-tiger-moth-flight-report.html)

mrluke 06-03-2006 09:22 PM

RE: GWS Pico TIGER MOTH - Flight Report

its all stock GWS. It all came in a flight pack with a gws 7.2/270 batt the batt i tried today is the batt I used in my Corsair its a thunder power 2 pack 7.4 1320

guapoman2000 06-03-2006 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: mrluke

its all stock GWS. It all came in a flight pack with a gws 7.2/270 batt the batt i tried today is the batt I used in my Corsair its a thunder power 2 pack 7.4 1320
The Thunder Power 2-cell pack of 1320mAH Li-POLY are pretty heavy and subsequently the model will struggle with this weight and the propeller RPMs will not have enough power to perhaps make this model fly sufficiently with this weight.

I use some older (but, effective) 2-Cell, 1025mAH, Li-POLYs that keeps the model light enough.

Another possibility is perhaps the motor is just at the end of it's Life Time and the motor is just not producing those RPMs as when new.

Carlos

guapoman2000 06-07-2006 05:22 PM

My GWS pico Tiger Moth has been flying very well.....except I have come across an elevator servo (GWS pico STD) that does not want to center correctly.

Everytime I command it for UP ELEVATOR it does not seem to go back level until I give it some considerable DOWN ELEVATOR.

Will be replacing this servo as it is a pain to fly this way![:@]

guapoman2000 07-07-2006 07:41 AM

ESSKAY Brushless Outrunner has proven to be a very good choice to replace the STOCK IPS Power System!!!!

Just read on at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=65

I will be doing the same modification as I have one ESSKAY 400XT lying around myself and have back ordered 3 of these motors as well from Hobby Lobby!

Later,
Carlos

guapoman2000 03-28-2007 10:23 AM

Just another wonderful morning at Moon Port Modelers RC Club. I was shocked and amazed to find just one lonely senior member there real early….I came at 7:40am and Gerry came around 7:47am so much for the 7:15am sharp he he he…

I came a little late myself since I got up rather early and worked on my nice Tiger stripe painted GWS Tiger Moth with IPS brushed motor/gearbox setup and 2-cell, Li-Polys! I replaced a GWS Pico Servo for the elevator that jammed and adjusted all control surfaces plus epoxied a small coffee stirrer to re-enforce the Elevator halves and placed the battery pack underneath and outside of the model for proper CG balance.

The little Tiger Moth was hand launched and flew for a whopper of 16 minutes and 23 seconds. Gerry and I flew in formation for a few laps around the field and rather low and slow, it was a beautiful site!

Yeap, flew my GWS PT-17 Stearman, and Great Planes Fokker DVII as well!

Left prompty at 8:45am and came to work in time for a weekly 0900 meeting.

windless1 03-30-2007 11:17 PM

Dont like to jump in on a thread but figured you fellows would be in the know. Right now im flyin a stock moth with Electrafly 720 lipo and am in need of a little stouter motor to get the plane out of the tight spots the darn thing flys itself into all the time[:-] The real question Im tryin to get is I need a good brushless and esc that will fly this plane and other gws planes as my skills progress. Any help on this would be of great help;)

windless1 03-30-2007 11:24 PM

Dont like to jump in on a thread but figured you fellows would be in the know. Right now im flyin a stock moth with Electrafly 720 lipo and am in need of a little stouter motor to get the plane out of the tight spots the darn thing flys itself into all the time[:-] The real question Im tryin to get is I need a good brushless and esc that will fly this plane and other gws planes as my skills progress. Any help on this would be of great help;)

Dai Phan 04-06-2007 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my Moth... DP

guapoman2000 09-28-2007 05:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It is time for BRUSHLESS MOTOR + BRUSHLESS ESC!

Here's the final weigh-in of my GWS Pico Tiger Moth: 9 3/8 oz.

I have separate pictures showing the individual weight of the old GWS IPS Brushed power system and the new Himax HC2212-1180 and the Brushless CC ThunderBird 9 Amp ESC.

Going to re-maiden her in a few hours at the field.

tam popo 09-28-2007 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guapomann - Hiya!! That is one nice TMoth:D I'm in the middle of a build myself, starting with the b/less (Tower Pro 2809 950Kc 130W) using 3S 850MaH. Having trouble with the struts, they're a bit flimsy, as well as the wings overall. Did you strengthen/modify them in any way? Also, looking at your pics what is that in fuse between the 2 servos? I had to build a bulkhead to install the motor as the sick mount was not too good for the TP. Any tips, and what do you think of the output of my B/less - too big or too small? I'll keep my eyes on this thread for your maiden report with interest. Are there any more build type threads or sites you know of?

guapoman2000 09-29-2007 02:53 AM

ORIGINAL: tam popo

Guapomann - Hiya!! That is one nice TMoth:D I'm in the middle of a build myself, starting with the b/less (Tower Pro 2809 950Kc 130W) using 3S 850MaH. Having trouble with the struts, they're a bit flimsy, as well as the wings overall. Did you strengthen/modify them in any way? Also, looking at your pics what is that in fuse between the 2 servos? I had to build a bulkhead to install the motor as the sick mount was not too good for the TP. Any tips, and what do you think of the output of my B/less - too big or too small? I'll keep my eyes on this thread for your maiden report with interest. Are there any more build type threads or sites you know of?

I have the same motor that you posted in your reply and I have the Eskkay 400XT as well.....I gave it a lot of thought and with the use of my Digital Scale, I realized that I wanted to keep my Tiger Moth as light as possible. This is the reason for me to go out of my way and "buy" the Himax 2212-1180 Outrunner as it is almost the same weight as that of the GWS IPS Brushed power system that it replaced. Also, my other requirement was to fly with only 2-cells and I feel I am almost there........tickering....

To see a dirty and Free estimate of your projected setup(s) then, I would highly recommend to use P-Calc from Diversity Models at:
http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp

guapoman2000 09-29-2007 02:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking around tonight in the garage....I found a brand new Schulman's 2-Cell, 10C, 1200mAH, Li-POLY that tips the scale at exactly 2oz. :eek:

Also, I found three additional propellers and all GWS 8 X 4.7, 9 X 7, and my best is the 8 X 6 that will propel this light enough Tiger Moth around with no additional need for 3-cells and with very good airspeed (See Chart Below) and maintaining her light as possible. ;)

I am suspecting that with the additional Propeller "PITCH" the Tiger Moth will fly with a little more authority based on using 2-Cell, Li-POLY!

Will fly again in the morning! :D

tam popo 09-29-2007 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hiya guys!! Build nearly finished, just got to fix on cowling, rout aerial, bin the wheels and u/c (as soon as LHS opens!!), and generally tidied her up. Mods: Few: I've put in a carbon rod to link the bottom wing with top wing (both sides, see pics), put a slot in foam where rear pilot should sit so I can get access to RX without taking wings off. Ran the motor on 3S 850MaH using 8 x 4 prop - Wow! Does this motor push out the thrust, like Marilyn Monroes skirt above the grating in that famous film I can't remember the name of!! (Answers on a postcard please to...). Needs a tidy up then I'll maiden Monday (maybe!!). Bye for now:)

guapoman2000 09-30-2007 07:28 AM

SUCCESS FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flight Report from this late morning!!!! Went to bed kind of late and got up just in time before the wind started to kick up and arrived at a local Park in Orlando adjacent to a middle school to find about 3 MPH winds coming from the South - South West. ;)

The Shulman's aviation 2-Cell, 1200mAH, 10C, Li-POLY and the GWS "Slow Flyer" 8 X 6 performed just fantastic! :eek: Wow, much better airspeed and loops were finally a circle with enough thrust to off-set any wind turbulance.

My Tiger moth still can fly very Slow at 9 -1/2 oz. using the larger ShulmanAviation 1200 cell pack and came for three landings and take-offs at the basketball court with lots of tress and light poles all around without any ill effects nor incidents. :p

I beleive when I find a good deal on a lighter Thunder Power Pro-Lite like the 930mAH, I will try to pick one up for even lighter setup and kick in the pants AMP draw.

I was pleasently surprised that the older technology as far as discharge rate (New in the package) Shulman's Aviation 1200mAH, 2-Cell, really came through for a very spirited flight for a pico Tiger Moth! At one point I decided to throttle down as I did not want to stress the airframe! :D

Super RC Flying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was able to make this power system setup work for my nice GWS pico Tiger Moth. The requirements were set as follows:

1. Keep the pico Moth as light as possible without needing to add re-enforcements on structure. Mild spirited Brushless power system.

2. Highest quality and replacement parts such as outrunner shafts available readily.

3. Quality Brushless ESC with minimum programming such as cost is lowest.

4. Style of flying would be "Scale" to mild spirited flights to include light wind of no more than 4 - 5 MPH constant, no gust.

Okay, here's the outcome:

Power system setup conversion Finalized:
-Himax HC2212-1180 (22mm diameter, 12mm long, 1180kv, 0.3 Amps, 0.5 Ohms)
-Castle Creations ThunderBird 9 AMP Brushless ESC
- GWS Naro Std servo for Elevator; GWS pico Std for rudder.
- GWS 6-Channel RX (Have ordered the CC BERG 4-Channel with case)
- Dubro hardware all around.
- Transmitter JR Quattro 4-Channel (2002 vintage)
- Shulman's Aviation 2-Cell, 1200mAH, 10C, Li-POLY
- GWS "Slow Flyer" 8 X 6 propeller
- AUW: 9-1/2oz.

Early Conversion Posts:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4764

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4805

Some most recent post flight reports:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4810

tam popo 09-30-2007 11:08 AM

Congrats MrGMan2000 - nice work!! Its good to hear someone get it right the first time (maiden). I'll check out your pics of landing gear cos the standard one is rubbish. Basically, it comes down to your prevailing flying conditions. In Scotland its windy, bloody windy, so you need a plane to "punch" through it and maintain control. Thats why I went the slightly different route of 3S with a punchy b/less Tower Pro. Its not wot I wanted but wots the point of a light plane on 2S when you live in a wind tunnel called Glasgow!![:o][:o] Started the motor today and I swear it was ALMOST hovering in the living room (wife went berserk!!) - now that would be something, a TMoth that can hover and go vert like my Strykers.:D I do have a problem though - do you put in any thrust angle on the motor? I always do, tip of shaft slightly higher (a few degrees) on tractor mode planes. Now I've been told it should be the other way - who's right? I'll send some piccys in a minute.;)

tam popo 09-30-2007 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
GMan2000 - here's the piccys - almost ready for flight. Byeeee!!

JRexA 09-30-2007 11:18 AM

Look at the modified instructions from http://m-a-e.com
http://www.m-a-e.com/Sub_Pages/Build...structions.pdf

They have a scale like and type like instrument panel included in those instructions. They also have some tips/mods.

tam popo 09-30-2007 11:43 AM

Jrexa- Brilliant, I wish I had had that w/site bfore starting the build. Its essentia for a newbie, luckily I've ot 10 plane builds under my belt. Thanks for that:D

JRexA 09-30-2007 07:23 PM

I bought my kit from them.

Now I just have to wait(impatiently....:D) for the SLOOOW postal service.... [:@]. Yes I know, I could have paid 3-5 times the shipping and gotten it in 3-4 days. (Would rather buy 2 kits + full electronics for both ;))

tam popo 10-01-2007 06:00 PM

JRexa - yearh, you've got your head on right. Why pay? Our delivery (small island) is about 2 days from London, 500 miles. Postage is free if cost is over £20 (cost of Pico TMoth £21!!!). Hope it works out OK, and don't eat any yellow snow or ice!!!:D

guapoman2000 10-01-2007 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: tam popo

GMan2000 - here's the piccys - almost ready for flight. Byeeee!!
Good pic's!

Any flight report?

tam popo 10-01-2007 07:51 PM

Sorry Gman2000 - TMoth not ready, not happy with u/carriage. I made a few changes, put some decent wheels on and a strut attaching wheel axle to just behind trailing edge on underside of fuse. I'll get some shots for tomorrow but batteries in camera are letting me down.
Took out my EZ*, 3D and Beaver for a session this morning before wind picked up. B/less Beaver a little slow to take off (Has TP 2809 127) so it must be the weight. It did fly nice and slow, went thru one pack. Changed to my fave slope site for b/less EZ*. This has Hyperion 2100Kv motor and 2200 3S lipo. Wow, loops and caught me unawares. Got control but only just, involuntary loop and circles before hitting a 30ft high pole!!!. Broken in 2 but I've now fixed it for tomorrow. 3D usual underarm launch and away. A few loops again and vert climbs and this is with a brushed 380 - 10 x 4 prop!!!
When you're retired at 55 and you fly 7 days a week you need a few planes so you are always ready - thats my excuse!!;)[8D] Time for bed, early flying start. Byeee

guapoman2000 10-03-2007 11:09 AM

DEAD CALM POST FLIGHT REPORT: (This early morning!!!!)

It is just amazing Brushless power system that I have installed in my pico Tiger Moth!!! Got to my RC Club to find ¼ of the field under water at the North end but, this did not deter me to hand launch the little 9-1/2oz. Ready Flight RC Model!!

Goodness, it flew and flew for over 14 minutes with very good power for loops from level flight and that GWS “Slow Flyer” 8 X 6 propeller did a fantastic job of keeping up with airspeed. I mostly flew it at ½ throttle and at times just one or two clicks below ½ throttle for the best “Scale & Slow” passes you have ever seen on this model.

I greased the landing on the short patch of grass that did not have standing water near the pilots station and I disconnected and took out the Shulman’s Aviation 2-Cell, 1200mAH, 10C, Li-POLY and it was “COLD” plus it measured 8.05 Volts after all that flying!!!

This Himax HC2212-1180 (22mm diameter, 12mm long, with 1180 kv) performed just very well and I could just could not hear the motor and at times I did not hear that GWS Slow Flyer propeller as well.

Yes, the morning was rather hot and muggy but, it was DEAD CALM!!!!

tam popo 10-03-2007 02:56 PM

Gman2000 - had my maiden the other day. Placed it on my huge football pitch area and started her up. After 15ft one of the wheels dropped off[:o] and I moved to my slope site. Decided to give it a hand launch and it just flew straight out of my hand, no push, no shove just a pure take off dead straight. It was rock solid in flight, not twitchy at all. Decided to climb and it went vert until I decided to stop it and just cruise around getting the "feel" of it. Eventually I had to land on grass and it rolled breaking one wing in two, a clean break. Did I mention that I changed the motor to a 200W 1750Kv Tower Pro pushing out 30+oz of thrust? Well that's wot it has, and the b/less I had originally in it is now in my 3D Profile!!:D:) Its a monster, it even hovers. I was always told as a Newbie "Leave W/birds and Biplanes alone" but this TMoth is so docile (until you open the throttle). Now have to find the right prop to match the 850 3S and motor!!
PS: to anyone who's thinking of buying the TMoth and instaling a big b/less be warned. This is one bird that needs a few extra degrees down thrust, in other words angle the thrustline just a bit more than normal to get the real benefit. Bye for now:D

guapoman2000 10-03-2007 03:52 PM

Tam Popo.....

Why thanks for your flight report as I was wondering when you were coming back and report on flying that Tiger Moth of yours....

You remined me of someone from way back in 2002 within the RCGroups threads and this person called himself Tim2000 and Eflightmeister2000 of which always overpowering all of his models.

I believe that if you are happy with the results of your Brushless motor selection then, this is all that matters but, my requirements for going brushless was entirely different as it had to keep the same or come in close to the original weight and be gentle and true to SCALE but, with the advantages of a high Efficient Brushless motor that I can fly for over 15 minutes and land....b/s with the guys and go right back with the same battery and fly for another 5 - 8 minutes.

I will continue to post my adventures of my Tiger Moth and my next step is to provide a quality Video of it's flight so all can see the gentle but still capable RC Model it has been transformed by using the selected brushless motor from Himax.

I hope you can fix that wing and have her up in the air back soon!

Carlos:D