RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   !!! Just ordered my first plane !!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/4751999-just-ordered-my-first-plane.html)

RC_Heli 09-15-2006 01:21 PM

!!! Just ordered my first plane !!!!

Hi guys,

I am official stepping into the world of RC Planes, my first step was ordering a park flyer which will be here next Tuesday!:D

I ordered the Great Planes Lancair ES EP from tower hobbies.

I'm going from Helis to planes so this is going to be exciting. Although I do have a few simulator hours with planes.

I have a few questions though.

Will my LiPos that I already have work with the stock set-up or am I going to have to upgrade the ESC and go brushless?

Are my LiPos to heavy or big for this plane? here are the specs:

Size(mm): 100 x 33 x 20
Weight: 158g
11.1V 2200mAh 18C Lithium Polymer Battery
Standard discharge 18C
Burst 25C

Any advice will be appreciated..

Thanks for taking the time to read.[sm=49_49.gif]

yoster 09-15-2006 01:47 PM

RE: !!! Just ordered my first plane !!!!

That lipo should be fine with that plane. The stock can motor it comes with won't last too long with it, but provided the esc can use a 11.1v lipo, the battery should have no problems physically fitting inside the plane.

Good luck with the plane! I have always liked the looks of that one.. but I would be careful.. it's dangerous having a figerglass plane as your first plane... I would have stuck with foam for your first, but hopefully the simulator will have you set straight already.

RC_Heli 09-15-2006 01:52 PM

ORIGINAL: yoster

That lipo should be fine with that plane. The stock can motor it comes with won't last too long with it, but provided the esc can use a 11.1v lipo, the battery should have no problems physically fitting inside the plane.

Good luck with the plane! I have always liked the looks of that one.. but I would be careful.. it's dangerous having a figerglass plane as your first plane... I would have stuck with foam for your first, but hopefully the simulator will have you set straight already.
Well here are the specs on the plane:

SPECS: Wingspan: 43" (1090mm)
Wing Area: 236.5 sq in (15.3 sq dm)
Weight: 26 - 32oz (735 - 905kg)
Wing Loading: 15.8 - 19.4 oz/sq ft (48 - 59g/sq dm)
Length: 31" (785mm)
Airfoil: Semi-symmetrical, Low Wing
Center of Gravity: 2" (50mm) Back from the wing's leading edge
at the fuselage sides.
Control Throws-
Ailerons: Up & Down 3/8" (10mm)
Elevator: Up & Down 3/8" (10mm)
Rudder: Right & Left 1/2" (13mm)

And this all the info I could find on the ESC and Motor:

INCLUDES: Great Planes Lancair ES Sport Airplane with Speed 400 motor
30A ESC
9x6 propeller
1.5" (38mm) diameter white plastic spinner
1800mAh NiMH 4/5 SC 8-cell 9.6V battery with standard connector
Fiberglass wheel pants, cowl and wing tips
3:1 Gearbox
Hardware package
Photo-Illustrated Instructions
For a complete list of contents see page 6 of the online manual

I am goin to read the online manual and see if there is any more info.

RC_Heli 09-15-2006 01:57 PM

oh, I do have a few cheap foam planes that I got from my LHS for about 60$, but there nothing like this!!!

yoster 09-15-2006 02:33 PM

Providing the ESC can handle a lipo, and it's propped correctly, 30-amps should be more than enough. As far as engine longevitiy goes, not sure how long it will go. I know that on my Stryker, which uses a brushed 480 in stock configuration, gets a little tired after about 15-20 or so lipo flights. It still works, it just has noticably less power the more I cram 11.1v down it's throat. Those motors are cheap though, and I don't run lipo every time, so it shouldn't bother you much.

Do you have an amp meter? You'll want to use one of those to find the appropriate prop for the plane while running a lipo. I don't think motocalc has that plane configuration in its system... I guess you could always do it manually.