RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   Need a little help picking servos (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/4819744-need-little-help-picking-servos.html)

packyj 10-02-2006 05:44 PM

Need a little help picking servos

I just purchased an airplane from peakmodel.com, waiting for it to ship still and will likely be waiting a while. In the meantime I'm trying to get everything together I'll need to build it right away before I lose the last 10 good flying days left this year.

The model is:

http://www.peakmodel.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=176

Being powered by the a22-20 brushless they sell there.

The email I recieved from them suggested 3 micro servos. In half broken english this is pretty much all the information on servos they had to give. Anyone have a similarly sized plane that could give a good recommendation on torque and/or which servos for a futaba system?

Thanks
Patrick

flyierjon 10-02-2006 05:53 PM

RE: Need a little help picking servos

hs-55's work great! cant go wrong!

http://www.hitecrcd.com/Servos/hs55.htm

Flyer 1 10-02-2006 06:43 PM

That's a lot of power for such a small, lightweight bird... watch out for torque rolls!
As for servos, I really like GWS'S Pico Standard servos. They've always been reliable (to me at least), are about as small as servos get - smaller than the HS-55s - and very inexpensive.
Flyer

packyj 10-02-2006 09:30 PM

I agree that will be quite a bit of torque.... and it makes me a little nervous to say the least ;)

I'll take a look at the gws servos... I was really looking for a number to shoot for since I have a futaba micro flight pack just rotting... however the servos only have a measily 8 ounces of torque and that didn't quite seem like enough for this plane. I've got ONE spare servo that would work (the micro mini plugs) that has 22 ounces and that seemed a whole lot more reasonable to me.

Flyer 1 10-02-2006 11:21 PM

Well, this is kind of an interesting project... a micro-aerobatic plane that needs servos that are powerful enough... but which ones?
I like projects like this. Futaba, in all honesty, makes my favorite servos. However, if you're using the ones I think you are (the ones with micro-plugs), they're designed for the Futaba receivers with limited range (650 feet) and don't seem to have as much precision as the others during their cycles. In other words... they've got the power, but they can be a bit jittery at times.
Hi-Tec 55s are the industry "standard", I guess, and are great for almost any small project.
The GWS's claim to fame is it's super-small size and low price. Performance is just fine, too.
In all honesty, though, I'd have to recommend Hi-Tec 50 servos.
They're the most expensive of the lot. They don't have a lot of torque, either. What they DO have that none of the others do is the fastest response time of all - .09 second. This is lightning-fast - I've got them installed in a small Eindecker that moves so fast I've got to have a servo that keeps up. Those little HS 50s really get those control surfaces where I need them fast - and that's the most important quality I need for that application, more so than torque.
Seems to me that your new aerobat might need such a quality too. Granted the others move as fast as .11 seconds - but trust me, the difference in speed can be seen easily if you hold the servos in one hand hooked up to channel 1 and 2 (aileron and elevator) on a receiver held in the other and rotate the transmitter gimbal.
Flyer

Fliprob17 10-02-2006 11:44 PM

Go with the HS55's from Hitec or the Futaba 3110's. They will both fit in any of the Hitec or Futaba receivers, and have equal weight and size, the Futaba actually has a little more torque. Look at the torque numbers when you are comparing servos, some of the other brands have nice cute little micro servos;), but no torque. I would also highly recommend the Hitec Electron 6 receiver. A mile plus range, I have the Futaba 156f in my Cessna, and as you stated, it only has a 650 ft. range, went with the Electron 6 in my new plane, and it is cheaper :).

packyj 10-03-2006 02:41 PM

Thanks for all the input, I'll take a closer look at the 55's... they seem to be the most popular by far. Now I'm getting to thinking about it and the output of that motor is starting to make my hands shake.

Another question if anyone is still active on this thread, my brother mentioned some of the recievers that have a built in memory in case your reciever loses it's signal... is this really that great an option? I did recently "land" a cox warbird because my tx battery died but I don't forsee that happening to anything on this scale. Anyone have a yay or nay regarding these rx's?

Fliprob17 10-03-2006 11:21 PM

I thought only a PCM TX could use that failsafe mode with any PCM receiver. So it is the TX that has the function really.....at least that is the impression I am under.

packyj 10-04-2006 06:44 AM

Berg by Castle Creations Microstamp 4L at lukesrcplanes.com is the one he had been talking about i guess. doesn't appear to pcm and the feature does seem at least mildly appealing

cyclops2 10-04-2006 04:10 PM

All lower priced receivers have a memory if the signal is lost.

They continue doing what the last command was.

packyj 10-04-2006 04:19 PM

Yeah, that's what my last plane decided it wanted to remember on it's way down as well... this reciever apparently has the ability to have programmed anything. They suggest no throttle, right rudder, slight down elevator... to allegedly "save" a horrible crash.