RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   Goldberg Surge 400? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/5939919-goldberg-surge-400-a.html)

codemazter 06-03-2007 05:55 PM

Goldberg Surge 400?

Hi im a bit new to this flying thing ;)
I was looking to buy a wooden plane for use with a brushless setup. 4 ch trainer+
my experience with gearboxes is limited, but not very good, so the setup with gearbox that the supplier recomends dont tempt me that much.
http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/surge400.htm
is there a other setup that can be recomended, so that i dont need to have those gears?
i think your guess is much better than mine since i have no experience with anything but rtf`s.

does this look like a nice beginner/intermediate plane. seen so little about it on the web...

sorry for my bad english.... Im norwegian.

codemazter 06-04-2007 08:07 AM

RE: Goldberg Surge 400?

okey here goes....
I couldnt wait to get my impulses under control.
i just bought:
1x carl goldberg surge 400
1x AXI 2217/16 brushless setup.
1x Futaba 6EXAS 6-Channel PCM/2 S3114 Servos 34
6x Futaba S3114 Micro HT Servo
1x Great Planes LiPo 11.1V 2100mAh 20C Discharge w/Balance
1x Axi Prop Holder 3.17mm M5 AXI22
1x Axi Prop Saver 3.17mm Shaft AXI22
1x Great Planes Silver Series 35A Brushless ESC 5V/2A BEC
1x Axi Brushless Out-Runner 2217/16 Gold
2x APC 11x5.5 Electric Propeller
2x Master Airscrew 11x6 G/F Nylon Electric Only Propeller
1x Axi Radial Mount Set AXI22 Series
pluss som extensions and y harnesses

my plans are as following... to train a bit more on the Wingdragon/sportster (art-tech)
then get an experienced pilot to setup the plane for me and deal with the first takeoffs and landings.

this migth not be the perfect trainer, but i have a good feeling with the controls after doing competition racing with buggies some years ago...

any suggestions and starter tips are deeply appreciated.

dalelvn 06-04-2007 04:08 PM

get on a buddybox with this plane as it is gonna be MUCH faster than your wing dragon. otherwise you will soon have an expensive pile of sticks.

Flyer 1 06-04-2007 04:26 PM

I didn't see a lipo-compatible charger on your list, but other than that, "ya done good!".
I dislike brushless motors with gearboxes. They are, to put it mildly, NOISY. It's at LEAST as loud as a Tee Dee .049 nitro engine, and possibly louder. Definitely not "Park" friendly (at least in the parks I use).
Your Axi choice is an excellent, as is your radio choice (same one I use, in fact).
A friend has a Surge with a similar setup, and it's a great fun flyer. By all means, get VERY proficient with your Wing Dragon first, then learn to fly your Surge in a LARGE field at first - you'll need space to get used to it's turning abilities. When you're used to it it'll fly very well in far smaller parks/areas.
If you don't have a lipo charger yet, I recommend the Triton series.
Flyer

codemazter 06-04-2007 05:13 PM

The lipo charger are comming from my local hobby shop tomorrow :D
my friends have 4 lipo chargers already, but i think i buy one for myself tomorrow. we have to do a rush trip 2 hous to the local hobbyshop, to buy my friend a new plane... his Dynam focus 400 exploded (went into pieces) midair today, its been modifyed after lots of earlier crashes, so its about time for a new plane... (he dont have the patience to wait 14 days for a new plane).

yup im going to buddybox my surge untill i feel comfortable with it... not going to try soloing that thing for a while.

Thanks for the input, feels very good to get some positive and confirming feedbacks when using so much money, without knowing exatly what im supposed to buy;)
i hope that the engine and servo setup is typical for many parkflyers so that when this goes into sticks i csn move things over to the next plane.

troytrumpet 06-27-2007 09:18 PM

I just finished my surge 400 with the e-flite 450 outrunner, hitec hs55 servos and a 1500 mAh lipo.... It is a good plane build wise besides the fact that the linkages for the ailerons, and flaps resemble the tensil strength of led solder and bend and warp under any pressure. I went to a little bigger rod with no problem, I havent flown it yet but that is soon to come as soon as the rain goes away.

codemazter 07-07-2007 02:01 PM

i had the maiden on this plane yesterday :D I couldnt wait for an instructor so i just went ahead and sent it off[8D]
it flew really great with lots of power and good handling... today i tried the flaps, ground takeoff and a bit of acro.
both days i have been landing on a asfalt strech of road into a local water pumpstation.

I can really recomend this plane...

codemazter 07-14-2007 05:53 AM

Flying weigth is 622 grams with a 3s1p 1250 mAh battery can anyone tell me how much power i got in it? W/kg
the 2100mAh battery i bought together with the plane was too big to fit in the battery compartment :( have to buy a bigger plane soon :D