RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   Badius Owners Club III (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/6371525-badius-owners-club-iii.html)

Glacier Girl 09-08-2008 07:28 AM

RE: Badius Owners Club III

Ah geeze Ken, that explains me having a migraine all weekend. :(:(:( I spent the whole weekend in bed. Still feel like doggy do do.

Well where's the photos of the carnage.

UBEC failure????? strange, if memory serves me the one in there was rated for 40 volts.

Hmmm, remember me telling you about the antenna, and some of them didn't like being run inside, as the factory wanted? You sure you didn't loose communications?

Let me do some digging, if I can find the original receipt, they have a crash "warranty", where you can buy a replacement airframe cheap.

If not they're only $145.00 now for the full kit.

rob737 09-08-2008 09:35 AM

brad......hope you feel better!

sray.......thanks for the video clip, very neat! i bet the whole field stops to watch when you fly that set up....i'd love to see it, too!

nice flying doug.........

waiting for ups to show with my corsair. car is in the shop getting some work done to it, so i am pretty much stuck here anyway. now would be perfect as my wife is out and i could sneak the box upstairs with out her seeing it. hoping to intercept at least one of the two boxes comming this week! rob

nyflyer56 09-08-2008 10:57 AM

Scott,
Sorry you missed out on the Ultimate. Don't worry about stick builds. You have the skills. I think you will enjoy that type of building. Get yourself something for over the winter months. A sailplane perhaps, (for electric power of course). Wings are easy to build, just pin down the edges, add ribs, and you are mostly there. It was much harder before instant glues. You could only do a few parts per evening, having to pin everything in place until your glue, (Usually Ambroid brand, or sometimes DuCo cement) dried.

The P washer and laminate trimmer look nice. I have finally set some funds aside to start replacing all my tools that got stolen, and I hope to do that this week. I have some possibilities doing property management, and may be partnering up with an out of town investor on a few properties. Either way I am slowly getting a fresh start. I hope in the next month to start my own management company, and approach the many out of town investors that are clamoring for good management in this area. Along with being able to also pick up their rehab/ maintenance needs. I might be able to actually start earning a living again.
Then I can write off tools as well, lol. I guess i need to make some money before I worry about write offs...

That RC jet crash was spectacular. The great thing about turbine jets is that are sooo realistic. The bad thing is that they also crash realistic, (Burn). That Jet was probably about $10,000 (or in the case of that video, about a zillion pesos?). Like crashing a darn Car, but without the insurance. I would have liked a translation of what they were saying afterwards, it would have been interesting.

Rob,
You still haven't said anything about coming to the NEAT fair electric fly this weekend. you are within easy range for a weekend trip.

Brewer Paul,
Where are you? You coming too?

Stingray69 09-08-2008 11:37 AM

sray.......thanks for the video clip, very neat! i bet the whole field stops to watch when you fly that set up....i'd love to see it, too!

Rob,

I put together a few clips so you can have an accurate :) idea of how it goes.

http://www.rayhaywood.com/videoarchive/Shuttlremix.wmv

Loubud 09-08-2008 11:57 AM

AJ,
Sheesh. I never expected to see you join in with the crash a plane a week guys.:D Kidding. No. Really. Kidding.
Sorry to hear of yet another crash.

Waiting for a reply from Dave at Lightflight. I'll probably get an email later today since he has all of the weekend stuff to do.

GG,
Feel better. Migraines SUX.

AJ1202 09-08-2008 12:10 PM

Lou I would not consider my little prang a crash, it was just marking it's territory :D nor the drop into the Tall WET grass :)
it was controlled and actually never made it to the ground :)
when I go to it it was hanging in the grass about a foot off the ground, like I said TALL grass

Oh did I mention it was WET :D I was soaked from my shoes to my knees when I got back to the truck
I was just happy the second attempt I was able to coax it back to the road and land it
have you ever seen a plane land level while spiralling at the same time :)
It's funny as he11 because as it touches down it just spins around instead of rolling

Loubud 09-08-2008 12:50 PM

Then that settles it. I didn't think you'd join the crash club.:D

Building the Mirage edf. The glue that comes with it absolutely SUX. It's similar to GWS glue except that it takes 2 days to cure. After I let the stuff set overnight I took the tape off and set the plane down on top of the box. I go back to put the other wing on and Yikes! and Gadzooks!!. The wing that I thought was glued on is coming off. Sheesh. I tape it all back together since the glue was still very tacky and let it set till a few minutes ago. OK, now it's set.
The glue is now in the circular file. I'll use UHU for the other side.

And speaking of UHU glue, it's not available anymore. Not the POR stuff. Elaine and I checked everywhere after Fern told me it's not being exported to the USA anymore. Hmm. Mebee it's still in Canadia.

rob737 09-08-2008 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
crash a week club? that hurts!:eek::D usually we can go for two in my case, but not this time!

flight report: new pz corsair

awesome! got it together in just a few minutes. it is not as big as i thought, roughly the same as the t28. still, very scale and nice looking. first pack, all went well, but a little nose-down tendency. i backed the control rod clevis out four turns and sent it back up with a fresh pack. it flys abo****ely strait and true, no other trim inputs needed. i just did some lazy flying and a few loops, nothing fancy. it's very stable. landings were simple, it easially stays on it's wheels and does not nose over. all in all an awesome plane!

best part.....photos taken AFTER today's flying! highly recommend this plane, fellows. need to figure out what to do with the rx antenna wire. would like to rig like on the t28, but that's not practical because of the corsair's rudder.

ray.....awesome video! thanks for posting that. i sent it to my brother so he can enjoy it, too. he just got his t28 and supercub back together after smashing them recently.

rob

gunfighterII 09-08-2008 01:42 PM

I've read just recently that MWDWB has just received his Corsair.

I wonder if he has that awful tasteless nose art on his.:D:D

AJ1202 09-08-2008 02:06 PM

That doesn't look like your typical PZ plane, the rear section looks like regular foam
it that just the look or has PZ went away from the plastic frame and Z foam

Very nice looking corsair by the way, I always had a love for the corsair also

Loubud 09-08-2008 02:34 PM

Sorry bout that crash a week club thing. Just a sick joke.
Good looking Corsair. Nice nose art. And even better is that it's a good flyer.

AJ,
Sam at my LHS tells me the PZ planes are now very different than the earlier ones. He has a couple including the T-28 and really likes them.

Ready to glue the other 1/2 of the wing. Needed to sand some high spots in the joint so it would sit flush. It still SUX but not as bad as before the light sanding. I won't sand anymore as I think I would make it worse. It now looks like it will fit the same as the other 1/2.
Off to use my precious UHU POR glue.

rob737 09-08-2008 02:38 PM

lou.......that was funny as h_ll! no offense taken, and if the shoe fits i don't mind wearing it! sign me up as leader of that club!:)

it's the same foam as the t28, i think the flash just made it look funny in the pic. it definately flys as nicely as the t28, this current line of pz planes are awesome.

never got a shipping notice on my eagle, i called cox and they are "looking into it." hmmm. think i'll call them again. rob

Loubud 09-08-2008 03:14 PM

Rob,
It was a poor joke. It isn't really very funny when a plane goes down and stuffed into a baggie. I only tried to make light of it. In hindsight, some of these planes were much loved by their owners and joking about a total loss just isn't funny.
I'm glad you didn't take it personally. Hope no one else did either.

The Mirage wing is now firmly attached. Gotta love glue that works. I'll wait till tonight to test it. I don't want to screw it up.

CaptainRandy 09-08-2008 03:14 PM

Lou,

You can get UHU at Michael's Craft stores. I get it there all the time.

That joke was funny and True. I'm not a Redneck, but I likey their position. I would stand right up beside them.:D

Glacier Girl 09-08-2008 03:16 PM

Alive again, somewhat.

Ok I'm going to see about getting Ken another F20 kit.

Oh and Randy/Termite is going to list a pair of bigger birds, Multiplex Cargo, 6 flights on it.
and a started CMP C 160 Transall.

If anyone is interested I can find out more on them for you.

Loubud 09-08-2008 03:16 PM

Pappy,
Michaels is sold out at both stores near me and also the stores near Fern. If'n I were you, I'd go to Michaels near you and clean them out of the stuff. Sign me up as a buyer.

CaptainRandy 09-08-2008 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gotta Love them Corsairs.

Mine will be ready for tomorrows flying session at the HB field. I haven't flown it in along time, since the total last year trying to fly it with an 8 cell NIMH battery. Big Mistake.

Loubud 09-08-2008 03:20 PM

Badius Badius Badius

GG,
Elaine wants to paint her Twister metallic blue similar to the new BMW blue. I suspect that the foam on the Twister is the same stuff as used in the Magister.
Do I need to primer the plane and then hit the auto parts store for paint? Or can I just use auto paint straight?

I know. Just test the auto paint first but figured you or AJ would know.

patnchris 09-08-2008 03:52 PM

Lou,
The auto paint will dry very brittle. The foam on the Twister/Magister is flexible. I'm thinking this will not be a good combo. I painted my Super Cub with automotive spray paint and after a couple flights the paint developed spider cracks in all the stress areas....I think the Super Cub is basically the samee type foam. I also found that if you spray it on, heavily, it will eat the foam, but if you do light coats and wait for it to dry between coats, it was ok.....Pat

Glacier Girl 09-08-2008 03:54 PM

Lou, if it's the same as the Magister, try the auto parts stores for the correct color match, in spray bombs. You should be able to shoot it straight on, no primer needed.

But as you said, check it on a scrap piece first.

My Maggy is painted with spray bomb Chrome. It's sticking well, no flaking, even after a couple of not so pretty landings.

Loubud 09-08-2008 04:23 PM

Thanks Pat.
Under advisement.[8D]

GG,
What the heck is a spray bomb?

patnchris 09-08-2008 04:33 PM

I had a chance to fly the repaired Sea Gull Extra 300, this morning. The repaired horizontal stabilizer with the carbon fiber struts worked very well. The weird thing is that even though the repaired elevator was perfectly flat when I repaired it and perfectly true when I installed it, it now has a slight twist in it. This is weird and when I originally built the plane, the elevator had the same slight twist. I tried everything I could think of to straighten it. I tried heat shrinking it straight and even clamped the edges to the rear stab for a few days. when I took the clamps off, it would be straight and true, but after a few flights, one side was always off, just slightly. I think that the wood is warped and no amount of yanking, twisting, or heating is going to make this wood stay the way it should. the good thing is that it doesn't appear to affect the way it flys. It flys great. I suppose an accomplished 3D flyer would notice it, and say it was terrible, but I'm not an accomplished 3D flyer. I haven't yet started balancing my planes laterally, either. Maybe if I started becoming anal about this stuff, my 3D flying would improve, but I doubt it.
I stopped by LHS to pick up a replacement E-flight Eratix to replace the one the birds shot down.....Out of stock. They said they will be getting in one at the end of the week, and they'll put my name on it......

On a brighter note, I picked up a couple of ThunderPower 3S 2100ma packs at the field, this weekend. They had broken wires on the balance connector where they are soldered to the cell. The guy was going to toss them. I brought them home and repaired them. After, I checked them on the Blinky and it was reading all 3 cells. I charged them up and they balanced properly. I flew them, today and they fly fine. I luv it when I get something FREE. It leaves more funds for planes...LOL....Pat

Loubud 09-08-2008 04:37 PM

MMMMM. Free lipos.

patnchris 09-08-2008 04:42 PM

Lou,
Too bad you couldn't get some of the Dupont Fusion paint in the proper color. The stuff dries like shiney rubber.

If you decide to use auto paint "spray cans", try going to a store that specializes in auto paint. There are a couple around here that will mix the paint and put it in the can for you. If you tell them it is for a flexible plastic bumper, they will mix the flexing agent in the paint. I've actually painted a complete bumper and it came out fine. When finished you could flex the bumper until the ends touched each other and the paint didn't crack or peel......Just a thought.....Pat

Airbourne in Japan 09-08-2008 04:43 PM

Lou, which mirage have you got ? or do you mean the rafael from hl ??

i'm with the rednecks, i hate extreme islamists:D:D:D but i don't know anything about bullets hahaha

looking good for a flying session this morning. busy day today, no time for charging bats. now 6.40am and i need a shower and a session in the massage chair, which takes me upto 7.30 when i take my son to school, then back and off to the flying field, homw by 10.30, off out for lunch with the wife at 11, then off to an English lesson at 12.15 and home by 3pm for early sake.

talking of sake, my sake book turned up yesterday, but it's a little dissapointing for my 'studies'. it's pocket sized and has 65% listings of restaurants and bars etc, but there is some good information that i'll read and learn about. i'm aiming to be more knowledgeable (and pissed) about sake as i am about wines of the usual king. gonna have to learn some kanji as well (Chinese charactures).

haven't bought any planes before breakfast today[:@]:D:D:D