RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   VQ models, Delta Rocket? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/6537668-vq-models-delta-rocket.html)

9thLife 10-25-2007 02:01 PM

VQ models, Delta Rocket?

Just picked up this little bird- http://www.vqmodel.com/MateriePrime/...lta/delta.htm- seems like a good kit, good construction and best of all, it was cheap! Has anyone put one of these together? I'm thinking about building this one for extreme speed-

I can't find anything about it online

http://www.vqmodel.com/MateriePrime/...20picture2.jpg

9thLife 10-26-2007 10:47 AM

RE: VQ models, Delta Rocket?

bump- anyone?

lonnylh 10-27-2007 10:10 PM

100 mph + with a series six

9thLife 10-28-2007 11:29 PM

i am thinking about a Mega 16/25/2, Phoenix 45, UBEC and some 4s lipo (not sure which one...) I also am not sure which prop I want to use either...any suggestions?

maiden-crash 10-29-2007 12:11 AM

The stryker guys should be able to help you on a setup. I think peronally I'd go for the MEGA 16/25/3, more efficiency at higher power (If I recall correctly)

9thLife 10-29-2007 01:20 PM

I went with a Mega 25/16/4, polyquest 4s 14.8V 3700MAH LIPO PACK, UBEC, 6.5x6.5 corbon fiber prop and 40 amp Jeti Opto ESC- very pricey combo, but I think this little bird should move fairly quickly...

avalentine 11-20-2007 07:29 PM

How did it fly, I just picked one up and am not sure what I'm going to put in it.

9thLife 11-26-2007 04:18 PM

ok- first flight went badly...cramming a Mega in there just did not work out, the thrust angle was off and it nosed into the ground. Being the fool that I am, I purchased another one of these (they're cheap, it's ok!) and mounted one of the park 450 outrunners I had lying around on it. I also put a 10.5x10.5 prop on it. Holding in my hand, I could tell there was incredible thrust and I launched it. I took off straightup and then flopped around in the air- it was unrecoverable and totally out of control and came crashing down- no real damage to the fuse, except for one broken vertical fin which was easy to fix.

My thoughts are that I put too big of a prop on here and since this model is so light, the torque spun the model instead of the prop (it looked like this anyways...) Since the outrunner 450 is not made for a smaller prop diameter, I have decided to remove this outrunner and replace it with a little screamers outrunner with a 7x5 prop- this should be a good combination...in theory...

avalentine 11-27-2007 02:05 PM

Wow, I was a little worried because the plane is so light, now I'm really wondering. I bought a Quantum 2208/09 outrunner to put on it, I was thinking of mounting it on the back of the plane, just have to make sure I can get it to balance right. I was going to run a 6x5.5E apc to start with then go up. Hmmm.......

9thLife 11-29-2007 01:07 PM

best of luck, let us know how it goes. My new outrunner is arriving today, so I should be able to try to fly it again this weekend

Spid 11-29-2007 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: avalentine

How did it fly, I just picked one up and am not sure what I'm going to put in it.
I ordered one as well. It looks cool. I'll let ya know what I'm going to put on it powerwise once I see it up close. It's a small wing span and probably has a higher wing loading so you'd want to keep it on the lighter side. First impressions by just looking at the picture would be no more than a 3s 2100 lipo and no bigger than a speed 400 sized motor whether inrunner or outrunner and a smaller prop will make it scream. Maybe an Eflite six series 2700Kv, Mega type 16/15/3 3000Kv or one of DonsRC "Wicked" 2700Kv Outrunners turning something in the 4.5 x 4.1 to 4.75x5.5 range. It probably needs a little reflex dialed in on it's elevons as well just like wing. It looks like a clean airframe so it should cut through the air real nice, but ya never know. :)

Kevin

avalentine 11-29-2007 07:52 PM

Hey Kevin, good to hear from you. This thing looks like its right up your alley, I finally took mine out of the box and gave it a good look over, no assembly yet, maybe this weekend. It looks like you can mount an outrunner either inside with the shaft through the firewall or on the back ouside. Think I'm going for the latter, I think it will be easier with the motor I bought. We'll see how it goes.

Later,
Andrew

Spid 11-29-2007 08:42 PM

Hey Andrew!

Mine shipped today and I should get in on 12/5. If you get a chance (and by all means only if you get a chance) could you post a pic of the area where the motor will go on the plane? I'll probably go with a Dons "wicked" 2700Kv outrunner based on what you posted.

http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?act...d&productId=12

Thanks,
Kevin

avalentine 12-03-2007 11:33 AM

Here is what the rear of this thimg looks like, I re-shrunk the covering yesterday and test fit the motor. I am going to install it on the rear of the firewall, not inside. There's not much to assembling this plane, its basically all pre-built. Hope this helps.

Andrew

avalentine 12-03-2007 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, Lets try this again.[img][/img][img][/img]

Spid 12-03-2007 01:10 PM

Very nice Andrew! Thanks for posting. It appears either outrunner or inrunner mounting is pretty straight forward.

Spid 12-04-2007 09:05 PM

Got mine today. Man what a sweet little kit! Very clean airframe. It should really scoot. I have to wait until after Xmas to build it as it's a present for me and I'm building my Alfa Ta-183 Huck right now :D

Andrew I think this has got a lot of potential to be a killer speed plane, but it's going to get small real quick!

avalentine 12-05-2007 11:34 AM

I've got the motor, servo's and control horns all installed. I'm hoping to pick up an extra receiver for my new 2.4gz Futaba radio (early Christmas present from the wife) before I set up the linkage. I agree this thing is gonna scoot, the motor I'm using is 1920kv. I think it will swing a pretty high pitch 6" prop so it should be fairly fast. Hope to have it all together by the weekend, will let you know how it go's.

Hey Kevin, I wasn't able to start on this thing right away because I picked up another Twinjet, and set it up with brushless motors, 2 KMS 31/21s. Maidend last weekend, this thing flies sooo sweet, my new favorite plane.

Spid 12-05-2007 12:34 PM

I always like the Twinjet, just something about those dual motors screaming on fast low altitude passes! Sweet plane, glad you are enjoying it. :)

9thLife 12-05-2007 04:22 PM

this plane is a curse! actually it's my own damn fault....I put a little screamers SPJ it this and went to maiden it. on my hand launch, the bettery slipped from the velcro I had installed and immediately crashed the plane....

RCU may tell me I'm a terrible builder and should have considered this would happen, but I say rubbish! It's badly designed! Next time I'll have to get the velcro straps and screm them into the body...if there is a next time...

avalentine 12-10-2007 11:52 AM

Well, I finally have this thing all together, there wasn't much to it. The only thing I deviated from the instructions on was I didn't use the easy connectors for the linkage hook-up, Z-bends and clevises for this little bird. I had to shoehorn the battery I'm using into the front end, balances a little nose heavy according to the instructions but I think it will be OK. It was too windy here this last weekend to maiden, plus I'm just getting over a cold so it looks like this coming weekend weather permitting. If anyone has succesfuly flown one of these let me know as I'm a little nervous about this one.

Spid 12-10-2007 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Best of luck Andrew let me know how it goes. I hope the weather is "ok" (that's about the best one can hope for here this time of year) to maiden my Ta-183. :)

avalentine 12-12-2007 10:32 AM

Kevin thats awesome. I saw a drawing of one of those years ago and thought it was the coolest plane, yours looks like it will fly great.

avalentine 12-18-2007 01:08 PM

Well, no maiden yet, Did a complete pre-flight friday night and the motor kept locking up, like the timing on the ESC wasn't right or something. Anyway if I throttled up real slow I could get it to spin but after a couple 10 second runs the motor and ESC were to hot to touch. I returned the motor to the local Hobby People and picked up an Xtra 2826/09, mounted it saturday and ran it up (it worked fine so it had to be a defective motor) but was to windy sunday afternoon to fly. This kind of sours me on the Quantum motors, I had good luck with them up until this point but I have heard others have not. Oh well live and learn, you get what you pay for. Will try again this weekend.

Spid 12-18-2007 04:44 PM

Sounds like you might have been getting a short on the strator. I had that happen one time. I had a buddy of mine rewound the motor for me and poof, problem solved. So yes I agree with you Andrew you had a faulty motor.

Best of luck on the maiden and please let me know how it goes. [8D]