RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   How much wind have you flown in with super cub? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/7019962-how-much-wind-have-you-flown-super-cub.html)

aircraftking 02-03-2008 09:23 PM

How much wind have you flown in with super cub?

Second day out with the cub today. When I say it was windy I mean WINDY, at least for flying. Over 15mph winds once I got out in the field so I decided to go home and come back out in the evening. So I went back out about 90min later and it felt practically the same, even though on the weather sites it was reading 10-13mph winds. They had some gust well over 15mph for sure. So, I flown it anyway but with great success actually. I don't know maybe I am underestimating both the plane's capability and more so my capability flying it since I done extremely well handling it. Really by watching my antenna flag and keeping the plane flying the same direction, directly into the wind at about 40% throttle it held its own. What I found was the most important thing about flying in all of that wind was to watch my left and right banks and whatever I do, do not over turn and keep my wings level as much as possible and my nose pointed into the wind or away from the wind. Do not fly crosswind too long unless I have a death wish. These are all things I have already learned not too mention that wind is scary but can be fun at the same time. Its like by the time I have my plane landed, I am a nervous wreak but done very well. My question to others who have the cub is how high of winds have you dared to fly it in and were you successful?

Mr. Mugen 02-03-2008 10:46 PM

RE: How much wind have you flown in with super cub?

Mine has seen 20+mph. It is always successful. Failure is not an option...lol. I love flying that plane in perticular in the wind. I use a park 450 outrunner and ailerons for extra control and power.

Kevin

aircraftking 02-03-2008 11:23 PM

You say 20+ mph winds?? [X(] Holy smokes! I thought I was daring, don't feel so daring now. I like your attitude about failure is not an option. ;) I basically told a friend of mind that today and also told him there is no excuse for me to be having to buy parts because I crashed. Its like, ok I will make a deal with myself, if I crash it and need to buy a part because of the crash, I will punish myself for a week before I buy the part :D Bet I won't crash it again eh...lol. I want to be having to buy a part from wear and tear, now thats how you know you have been doing some serious flying. I truely don't see me crashing my plane unless I do something really crazy or get very over confident. I don't plan on using this cub for aerobatics, just nice smooth flying is fine with me. I am going to stay at under 15mph winds since thats what I am comfortable with, anything over and I will postpone my flight. It seems the super cub is probably one of the better planes for handling moderate to higher winds? Mine is 100% stock out the box, no mods or anything. It looked like a hero up there today fighting all that wind and just going through it like it was nothing, all at the hands of a novice. I do have a 2ch sabre jet with 23" wingspan and DFJ that does ok in winds (not near as good as the cub though) especially considering it was a $40 estes plane (the turbo thruster) I bought from walmart but I love it, a nice looking, fun little plane.

drummrboy 02-04-2008 09:57 AM

I have flown my cub in wind so strong that when hand launched into it at full throttle, it just rose straight up like a helecopter. Its lots of fun, but definately a challenge.

You will find that the cub is very tough, but has one major weak spot. The area of the fusilage where the control rods for the rudder & elevator exit is prone to breaking .It is a good idea to reinforce this area with clear duct tape or a similar
product. Just make sure the control rods don"t bind. This mod adds very little weight but a great deal of strength. My current cub fusilage is actually two fuses glued and taped together in this area and has flown and crashed many times without breaking. Always have some tape and foam sake ca with you, and you will be able to repair all but a major crash on site.

mad web tv scientist 02-04-2008 04:37 PM

[sm=confused.gif] aircraftking, May I ask you "wind flyers" a question. I have also gotten "comfortable" flying in the wind, but I seem to be noticing that my equipment seems to react to wind in cold weather a lot more than the "thinner" more comfortable wind on nice summer days. I realize that the miserable cold wind may be badly biasing me, but my theory is that my airspeed is significantly less in winter and, therefore, less capable of controllable flying in the same wind speed with my electric airplanes. Because of increased "internal combustion" engine efficiency in cooler denser air my "low drag" birds always seem to fly faster under such conditions.

Do I have it right, or is old age catching up on me?

Thanks for inspiring the thought.

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

aircraftking 02-05-2008 01:42 AM

Here are a couple of my youtube flight videos from that windy day, this was only my second day flying this plane. What I am not saying is how terrified I was the whole time that plane was flying... ROFLMAO. My nerves are still shot, shot I tell you! Nevertheless, I had a great time and I am able to relax just a little but more now. Took it out again today, once again in fairly high winds, over 10mph and yet a great success again. Now I wonder how much longer I can and will push my luck [X(] So far so good though. These aerobatic less videos maybe boring to some, but at least I have it on film I guess and nothing wrong with a little slow cruising right? Oh, madweb, not sure about that, first I have heard of with that. I have heard something totally opposite, that in summer, the planes fly better. I have no idea but if you notice that, I would not be surprised if it is correct.

First video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpLh7AVaMIo

Second video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRLnXPFMzYY

mad web tv scientist 02-05-2008 04:07 PM

:) aircraftking, except maybe for those trees in the landing shot, it looks like you have a perfect site to enjoy your Cub. Had I not been chased off of an area that has a seldom used road that would have worked perfectly as a runway by a neighbor who was afraid his dogs might bite someone, I might have had my own Cub by now. But alas, fate stepped in and I am now a committed "no landing gear" flying performance PF freak, with just a little scale aesthetics thrown in to keep conversations going.

Couple of things I left out of my last post here - batteries do not perform as well in cold weather, and like my light, streamlined, low powered (for the amount of wing area I use) Control-Line aerobatic airplanes, rain on the plane in Maine as well as in Oregon, produces really significantly more drag than during pleasant dry days. The bottom line is that unless I just have to fly, the wind has got to be less than 15 mph for me to seriously contemplate flight in miserable, drizzly weather.

Your take off shot really grabbed me. No doubt about it, your experience will stimulate Cub sales!

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

tam popo 02-08-2008 07:26 AM

ACKing - well done in getting your plane back in one piece - many don't. just few points: The wind is shifting constantly, when you think it is irectlt from ahead 20 seconds later it might shift few degrees either way. This is what make a champion sailor, he can spot the windshift and take advntage of it. Also, losing control can be dangerous to yourself, others and your plane. If you don't want to do repairs leave flying for another day.
Judging the wind strength: Easy way to do it is using the Beaufort Scale (anyone who sails should know this). Look at trees and branches, look at the grass (if it moves its about 8mph), if a tin can rolls down the street its about 8-12mph, If the can takes off - DUCK and take a day off!!!! Just common sense, just enjoy the good flying days for what they are - Brilliant.
By the way, I live in a wind tunnel called Glasgow!!![>:][:o][&o] This applies to any plane, not just the Cub[X(]

Eagle One 10-21-2013 02:57 PM

That's cool glad you had success, I also went out in the same mph wind and man it's tricky with the cub I did the same as you flew into the wind and made my turns very careful. Good luck on future flights.