RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   Accipiter Badius...IT FLIES! IT FLIES! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/8456884-accipiter-badius-flies-flies.html)

AB Bob 02-09-2009 12:46 PM

Accipiter Badius...IT FLIES! IT FLIES!

:D:D
I'm so amp'd I can't stand it!
I did a couple of glide tests in the backyard; it flew straight and alot farther than I anticipated!
I couldn't resist throttling it up....
She took off out of my hand and began a gentle climb...then I realized "it's your backyard you idiot"...which is much too small!
Well, I cut the power and she came back down to earth after kissing a couple of trees.
Some minor wing end tip damage...already taped up.
I'm charging some battery packs and thinking about heading over to the local elem. school this evening!
I want to thank all the posters in the ACCIPITER BADIUS OWNERS threads!!! Without your posts of tips, I know it would not have been such a happy outcome!
AB Bob

mad web tv scientist 02-10-2009 04:20 PM

RE: Accipiter Badius...IT FLIES! IT FLIES!

:) Hey AB, great flight! Your enthusiasm is fun to behold! We've all done it and it is always nice to not get what we got coming to us when emotion rather than reason motivates us.

I like my modified ABs so much that I have four (4) of them parked in my living room. They are all tuned to do all air combat maneuvers that can be accomplished with a still somewhat underpowered simi symmetrical wing three channel flying machine. The two oldest planes will eventually have to be moved to the garage to make room for new warbirds that will need their space. The two newest, least battle scarred ABs will stay.

The polly wing version with wire skids that allows landings on asphalt or gravel has been my favorite one to take on long trips. The lightest one with a straight wing is used when belly landing on grass can be counted on, otherwise, the yellow polly wing equipped ship is my weapon of choice.

Keep on having fun and letting us in on it.

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

AB Bob 02-14-2009 07:51 AM

Hey MWTS,
Thanks for the reply. Your posts were/are really helpful in getting my AB setup prior to first flight. Thank you for taking the time to post them for all of us. I enjoy reading your posts on experimenting with basic setups. I'm certainly not at that point, as of yet, but who knows what the future holds!
I have ordered the poly (folded) wings from WonderHobby (they only listed the "folded" on their website), but I received the straight ones..trying for two weeks to get that straight...w/ out much luck so far...). So, it's straight wings for now. Would you know where I can find the poly wings in stock? (Most are showing backordered/out of stock...)
Keep us informed of your "experiments", I find them interesting.
Thanks again,
Bob

mad web tv scientist 02-15-2009 01:03 AM

;) Bob, its a pleasure to be of service. I appreciate your thread. Having just now vainly searched for some available polly wings myself, you might be able to understand how I ended up with five (5) Accipiter Badius airplanes. Given the cost of postage, etc., it just seemed most cost effective for me to simply buy a new plane along with some extra parts to bring everything to upgraded status rather than ordering parts individually. I also enjoy having back up planes around just in case.

Though useful, the polly wing is not absolutely essential for R/C training purposes, especially if you have a large enough place to fly. I found that by adding a simple single aileron to work with the rudder from the rudder servo on one side of a straight wing with a fixed adjustable surface on the other side that very adequate maneuverability could be attained with the under camber stock airfoil wing.

With my current ABs, ailerons (flaperons actually - they are easier to make to work well. The ailerons are fixed and adjustable for trimming purposes.) on both sides and connected to the rudder servo along with the rudder provides really great maneuverability especially when the planes are lightened and reinforced with carbon fiber tow material. My last and lightest modified AB weighs a mere 13.5 ounces less battery. With its simi symmetrical straight wing and 2-3 ounce 2 cell LiPo batteries the ship performs inside and outside loops, good looking square and triangle loops, easy Cuban eights, inside and outside barrel rolls, and of course, inverted flight. All of this with a plane that is almost perfect for beginning flyers. I would be flying them more now but I am just too busy with fighters.

Sorry I couldn't find any polly wing sources. Hopefully business will pick up after our current little speed bump in history and useful products will once again be as available in the future as they have been in the recent past.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions that might arise.

Keep on having fun!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

AB Bob 02-15-2009 09:27 AM

You know, I hadn't thought about buying an entirely new plane...for the parts.
But, I think I have a bad servo (hear it clicking..gear tooth?)....
That's a good idea, thanks.
Bob
P.S. Good luck w/ those fighters!

mad web tv scientist 03-23-2009 10:32 PM

;) AB Bob, I noticed that EXCEED-RC ACCIPITER BADIUS motor powered glider airplanes became out of stock shortly after our last post exchanges, and they are still out of stock. I hope you were able to get at least some of the parts you needed to become airborne in the event of a scramble.

Hopefully, China will realize that it is in the best interests of everybody involved to encourage honest production and trade - including modeling products. It's painful to not be able to promote and share AB pleasures as a result of current product shortages.

Less than a year ago I had been flying ABs to "unwind" after the utter stark terror incited by fighters in preceding missions. Last fall my music wire skids equipped AB was flown through my favorite fighter plane maneuvers in a demonstration over a small space at a motel where I spent some time with friends in Mississippi. So far the AB is still my weapon of choice for such missions, but I am training hard with my aerobatic warbirds and hope to become skilled enough to use them instead of the ABs for such flying.

The WWII birds are now serving a very similar purpose that the ABs were serving during my introduction to them. WWI flying machines can provide a very stressful experience when they are not quite trimmed out. I start my flying sessions with WWI ships and end the day flying WWII planes. I would like to be able to beat the WWII aircraft with my WWI planes with their higher power to weight ratios and lower wing loadings, but so far that is not happening.

Since I don't want to tell new modeling prospects that ABs are not available I really don't want to fly them in populated areas until the logistics problems can be worked out. I have been recommending flight sims as well as some of the available planes recommended for prospective newbie modelers.

Please let us know about your experiences. There are a lot of us out here who would like to vicariously enjoy your progress.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Glacier Girl 03-24-2009 07:58 AM

Bob, try places like Ebay for the wing, as was said they are getting harder and harder to find, parts or the plane. I ended up buying an RTF version for parts after I buckled the main wing too badly to repair it.

As for the servo, yeah sounds like a chipped or stripped servo.

Cool little bird the Badius is, I've got birds costing thousands of dollars, but the AB is still one of the most fun to fly. Simple, basic, and no complaints, it's what it is.

I you can't find a poly wing, a little modding of the straight wing can give you some really good performance, it's all I fly with now.

mad web tv scientist 04-11-2009 12:14 AM

:) AB Bob, REJOICE! EXCEED RC ACCIPITER BADIUS motor powered gliders are now back with a vengeance! The next two urls bring up two sources that I have found to be very good.

Accipiter Badius 3-Channel Radio Remote Control RC RTF Airplane
http://www.wonderhobby.com/acba3rarecor1.html

3-Channel Radio Remote-Control Airplane R/C Sailplane * Yellow
http://www.raidentech.com/3rareaircsae.html

Until spare parts become readily available I recommend buying them two (2) at a time.

In my latest public demonstration over a small landing space my dandy modified AB blew three (3) four channel aerobatic warbirds away in the performance of my favorite fighter plane maneuvers. I love my ABs!

I now own six gun fighters, four of which have the potential to easily out fly the ABs under the above indicated conditions. But it doesn't matter, the AB machine will always be a favorite no matter what. The thermal riding slow flying relaxing pure joy of flight with a motor powered glider can't be beat!

GET 'EM WHILE THEY'RE HOT!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

mad web tv scientist 04-13-2009 08:06 PM

:) Bob, thought you might like to know that Nitroplanes advertises ABs as I just found out on one of my web pages, see the next url. After clicking on "NITROPLANES," click on "Electric Planes 100% RTF." As I think I remember pointing out in a post early in my R/C career, I actually learned about the Accipiter Badius from the advertising on my model aircraft WebRing web sites. With the possible exception of the religion web sites I actually have very little influence over the advertising on my WebRing web sites. It's neat to see AB advertising again.

MODEL AVIATION MAGAZINE FLYING FUN ON THE WEB!
http://www.webring.com/hub?ring=modelaviationmag

So, with at least three companies selling our favorite motor powered gliders out there we shouldn't be running out of them any time soon.

Keep us posted about your progress and adventures.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]